Old 05-03-2009, 01:30 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
La Center , Washington
No offense intended, sorry to disturb the hornet's nest.

Geez,

The sarcasm of some of the responses was pretty clear, and was enough of an answer in itself. Enough said, and I apologize for what my questions led to. I really didn't mean to "snipe." I think I understand where things stand with respect to some rallies and WBCCI. I respect your passion.

The sincere and helpful answers to the sincere questions I asked are much appreciated, and include the private responses I got. I think the bottom line is that not all rallies or all ralliers are cut from the same cloth.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
When is a rally a rally? We are planning a get together at Pearrygin Lake, just outside of Winthrop, WA in June. There will be three Airstreams and two SOBs. We are all friends and have known each other for a few years. We plan on fishing, shopping, dining out and in and just hanging out. Very informal.

We are all retired so we will do this during the week to avoid weekend crowds.

I think that's all it takes to have a good time. Pick a spot you like, invite a few friends or some local Airstreamers you would like to meet and have at it.

By the way, if anyone would like to join us, the dates are June 22nd, 23rd and 24th at Silverline Resort. Drop by if you get a chance.

John

Old 05-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #17
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by longdog View Post
Geez,

The sarcasm of some of the responses was pretty clear, and was enough of an answer in itself. Enough said, and I apologize for what my questions led to. I really didn't mean to "snipe." I think I understand where things stand with respect to some rallies and WBCCI. I respect your passion.

The sincere and helpful answers to the sincere questions I asked are much appreciated, and include the private responses I got. I think the bottom line is that not all rallies or all ralliers are cut from the same cloth.
No real harm done and I tend to agree with you about stuffy venues, but myself have planned rallies at places I wouldn't ordinarily camp because venue location was appealing or convenient to others. The most important ingredient for a rally is other ralliers. I can camp anywhere - but if I want to do it with others, I am prepared to make some compromises to facilitate that goal.

One of the huge drivers here in the NW is rain. If you have a rally with any group meals you need a way to provide cover. This means either a campground that has fixed shelter or event planning must include a well organized effort to build a temporary one. A couple of years ago we had a rally on the OR coast with 70+ trailers in attendance - it poured for most of the weekend and we ended up with about a dozen canopies lashed together in a small tent city to offer some dry-ish space to congregate. Not a perfect situation, but we still managed to have a good time

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by longdog View Post
Geez,

Your last line says it all. Different rallies for different folks. Those if us who have attended various ones for years, tend to forget new owners may not understand what the hoopla is all about and why.

I tend to want to believe all the responses were sincere, but some may have thought your question was a "snipe". I think most were just trying to answer you inquiry. plan your rallly, you will have between 2 and 50 coaches there.

marie
Old 05-03-2009, 06:26 PM   #19
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Thats why we have a unit-owned tent, like you might rent for outdoor functions. Its at nearly every rally, and is always the central gathering point. Even if it doesn't rain, its nice to have shelter from the sun, too. Can't imagine NOT having it.

As for us, we've rallied at everything from private ocean front, to someone's backyard, to the KOA, state parks...boondocking to full hookups. Some places I'd never pick to camp on my own, but it really doesn't matter, because as others have already said, its more about the group.
And as far as that goes, I bought the trailer to get away from people; never thought it would become a social outlet. As it turned out, we almost never camp alone.
So check out a couple of rallies. You might like it. Then again, you might think it stinks, like Frank. (must really be tough on him, having to endure all those rallies, just to collect pics to post on the forums )
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:28 PM   #20
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
When is a rally a rally? We are planning a get together at Pearrygin Lake, just outside of Winthrop, WA
That's a nice Park, we might see you there.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Longdog
I share your dislike for WBCCI. But its not 99and44/100 % of the members. That number are the really nice people who love to party and love good food and love the outdoors and the company of all people no matter whether they have an Airstream or an SOB. The idea is to camp together, make friends and have fun.
So pick a rally close there and make new friends. We have had our Airstream a little over a year and look forward to camping with the friends we made last year and make more new friends.
TRY IT, U WILL LIKE IT
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Judging from most of the Airstreamers I've met, you could put ten of them in a Wal-Mart parking lot for a weekend and everyone would still have a good time.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
but misser benny! oh rally now rochester! mr. longdog,perhaps the key word here is culture.some people take a culture very seriously,others well not so much.as with all cultures there is a hyerarchy mostly self appointed,who will defend its attributes in ernest.wally himself made a huge business out of the whole culture thing.sub-cultures,no less important,are usually less gung-ho ,more to the left,and bang their gong much more slowly.since all I really want is a hot shower in a cool trailer,I tend to ignore the chest ponding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0297.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	79617