Old 03-18-2003, 12:17 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Lame Duck or ???

Okay, any more movement on this or have people lost interest? Just resuscitating the thread to check, again...

"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 01:46 PM   #44
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think there was another thread that had more info. I thought that northern WI won the poll, but for some that would be too far to drive, so some said sothern WI, Northern IL or Northern IN.

My suggestion was the Mississippi palaceds in NW Illinois or North/Central western Iowa.

Eric

Old 03-18-2003, 02:50 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
Perhaps St. Louis?

We had discussed at last year's Rocky Mountain VAC Rally the possibility of holding a rally at the Museum of Transportation in suburban St. Louis. I work at the Museum, and we have a 20-acre open field adjacent to the main Museum grounds that would be ideal for a rally. The location is ideal - an easy exit off the interstate and less than 2 miles from several restaurants and shops yet still fairly secluded and quiet. However, we don't yet know what we could offer in terms of hook-ups, as there is no electricity or water in that area. We have explored running "rally electric" from one of our buildings, using a generator, and other alternatives. We were thinking about sometime this October so that A/C (and the power it draws) wouldn't be necessary.

Our staff is interested in hosting one - what do you guys think? You can visit the Museum's website at:

http://www.museumoftransport.org
Old 03-18-2003, 03:17 PM   #46

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I took a look at the Moraine View State Recreation Area web site and noticed that they have a group camping area (Gander Bay)with 61 sites. If I read correctly the sites have water and electric. This is up by Normal Illinois which is south of Chicago and North of Springfield.

Does someone live up in that area who could call and check availability and costs for that site?

Here is the web link.

http://www.dnr.state.il.us/lands/Lan...R3/MORAINE.HTM
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 03:25 PM   #47
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Here is a link for the fees for Illinois State Parks and such. The park in question has Class "A" features.

There are a few different rates depending on age, day of week, veteran, POW, etc.

http://www.dnr.state.il.us/lands/Lan...mping/fees.htm

Regards,

Eric

P.S.- I would be happy to call for avail, just need to know about how many rigs would show and a primary date and a secondary date.
Old 03-18-2003, 04:11 PM   #48

Fenton , Missouri
Eric,

If you can call now, would you verify the minimum number necessary to use the group site (Gander Bay) and confirm the electric/water hookups at this site? If we can get those two pieces of information we can follow up with the date checks once we get some basic numbers as to the interest level.

The rest of you folks, although no one can know for sure what dates are available, how may of you would make the drive, assuming the time and location were good for you?

Next question coming will be the dates, after we figure how many find the location ok and suitable for their travel situation.

Any other concerns at this point?

Jack
AIR #56
Old 03-18-2003, 04:30 PM   #49
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I just tried. Got the machine. Will try again tomorrow!

I'm on it!

Eric
Old 03-19-2003, 06:35 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
1969 29' Ambassador
Winthrop Harbor , Illinois
Midwest Rally

Sorry for the break in communication, crazy work right now. I am still very interested in Moraine View. Keep me posted, thanks for all the effort.
Curtis
Old 03-19-2003, 10:29 AM   #51
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ok, I just got off the phone with the park here is the info.....

There are two parks for group reservations, they are Tall Timber and Ol Orchard. However, those are for tenters ONLY.

Gander Bay does take reservations, however unless there is a central contact, each person would have to call to reserve a spot. Gander Bay is a class "A" with water and electricity connections.

Reservations are $5.00 per reservation and whatever rate you would qualify for given age, disability, POW, Veteran, day of week, etc.

Also, there are no group rates availible for Gander Bay. Same price for 1 or all 61 sites.

If this is the place to go and due to the complexity of the status of people's rates (age, POW, day of week, etc), I asked them if we could be grouped together if we identified ourselves as a group with each individual doing their own reservation. They said that the park is fairly busy most of the year, but with money in hand from each person, and as far in advance notice as possible, again clearly identifying themselves as part of the group, they would make every effort to group the sites together.

One side note, they do not take credit cards, so checks would have to be sent after working out all the details.

Hope this helps.

Eric
Old 03-19-2003, 10:58 AM   #52

Fenton , Missouri
Eric,

Well we have two ways to approach this. One we can pick a date and everyone is on their own to make their reservations, or we look further and try to find a private campground where we could reserve xx number of sites and be assured that everyone is together.

I'm sort of leaning to pick a date and everyone is on their own. Those who make the reservation will get in, those who wait till the end may not.

Any more observations out there from the midwest folks? I sort of hate to go through this and find only 2 of us show.....athough the place looks pretty nice so it wouldn't be a lost weekend.

Curtis, have you been to the Gander Bay campground? What's it like? Open, shaded etc.?

Jack
AIR #56
Old 03-19-2003, 11:12 AM   #53
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm game either way depending on date. If an alternate campground could not be found, I agree that the only way to do the Gander Bay is at the individual level given all the variables.

It would be great to meet as many of you as possible. Not to say it wouldn't be nice to see one or two either, but you all get my drift.

I can think of only a few prettier sights than a bunch of Silver Beauties filling up a park!

Eric
Old 03-19-2003, 07:28 PM   #54
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
To the top

TTT
Old 03-19-2003, 07:33 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
schaumburg , confusion
Send a message via AIM to Tikihut
I am in just tell me when and I shall be there.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:25 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

Have you figured out a definite When and Where yet?

If that is defined we can look at work schedules and decide if this is doable for us.

mareinmn