Old 11-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via MSN to JulianneJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
From what I am reading, all of you ladies are traveling by yourselves. Single ladies?? Married ladies???
How do you manage to travel alone?/
I would be scared to death. Worried about hook-ups - both with the TV to TT, and water, electric, etc.
I'm not sure I could do a trip by myself.
I noticed you have a '22 foot Safari, mine is a '22 foot International. When I bought it I had no idea what I was doing. 8 years later and I have taken "Lucy" all over the country, no man, no help, just me and the pooches.

Just think how happy your mate would be if you said "Hey honey I can hitch up for you" Its like learning anything else, repetition, do it and you will master it.

We'd love to see you there!

2003 International CCD
JulianneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by reshecca View Post
Hi All!
I'm new here.... This sure does sound like a lot of fun

Becky
Welcome Becky! Would love to see you & your brand new traila at the rally!

2003 International CCD
Old 11-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Three Rivers , California
I have loved the 22' Safari ever since I first saw one out in a pasture with cows all around. It was pretty beat up but the outside was perfect. I tracked down the owner but he would not sell it. It was a 64.
Then I kept checking Craigslist and finally I found one that was about 4 hours away. It was Labor Day weekend a little over 2 1/2 years ago. I bought it and now I have my dream trailer. A lot of work has been done to her and she needs a lot more but as long she pleases me, that is all that matters.
As far a traveling and pulling a trailer, it does not bother me. I have hauled horses for years and so far I have done it well. Becky, if you are uneasy, practice, practice and more practice. You will gain confidence the more time you spend doing it. Good Luck and hope to see you at the Coast in March..
AIR #17571
chapparel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:40 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Told "RustyRivet" that I might want to make a Silver Sister Rally. His response - "I'll hook you up" and though it would be great for me to do.
My biggest problem is it is by mapquest from my home to Paso Robles is almost 14 hours drive time ((that would be without any stop time to gas up or eat-or sleep).
Haven't thought the whole thing out yet, but maybe I could talk my "sob" sister into taking the trip and we could send the hubbys off somewhere else.
I am pretty proud of the fact that I have towed - forward only - a couple of times. But how hard is that really???? On our last trip out I did manage to hookup the haha quite quickly & easily.
Our routine has been - Mr Jimmy D does the outside and Mrs Soozie Q does the inside stuff;
I must say I do admire all of you lovely ladies that are out there enjoying the great outdoors.
Still have some doubts that I can do this , but I am working on it.
Thanks for your support, SS
Old 11-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #33
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
You really can do it.
The "hooking stuff up" part is very easy.
Make a list if that helps.
Do a run through at home.
And you'll have lots of help once you arrive.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Chico , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapparel View Post
Becky, if you are uneasy, practice, practice and more practice. You will gain confidence the more time you spend doing it. Good Luck and hope to see you at the Coast in March..
Thank you for the encouraging words, but I think you've confused me with Sempi2. Here is a little bit about me.... I've had my trailer for less than 3 months and I've already towed it more than 3000 miles over about 3 weeks (2 trips). My favorite traveling companion so far is my australian shepard, Skipper ( I used to have a dog named Gilligan, now I have the Skipper ). I LOVE my Airstream!! and once I figured out how to set it up, towing came pretty easily - probably because I drive fire engines for a living . In my travels so far, people often seem surprised when they learn I am traveling alone, so I think it would be cool to meet up with some other women-travelers and not be the anomaly for a change.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:13 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
we will go with our hearts , Texas
I hope you all have fun ! I would love to go but I am not suppose to be driving and that is a bit far ..

But have a few bottles of wine for me
Old 11-22-2009, 08:40 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by reshecca View Post
Thank you for the encouraging words, but I think you've confused me with Sempi2. Here is a little bit about me.... I've had my trailer for less than 3 months and I've already towed it more than 3000 miles over about 3 weeks (2 trips). My favorite traveling companion so far is my australian shepard, Skipper ( I used to have a dog named Gilligan, now I have the Skipper ). I LOVE my Airstream!! and once I figured out how to set it up, towing came pretty easily - probably because I drive fire engines for a living . In my travels so far, people often seem surprised when they learn I am traveling alone, so I think it would be cool to meet up with some other women-travelers and not be the anomaly for a change.
Becky~ I get that all the time "you're alone?" and I say No I have my dogs with me. Sorry about Gilligan, I had one pass last year also. Now I travel light with just my Great Dane, Hannah and a Shiba Inu, Rex.

This is a great rally. I treasure my friendships I have made with the women who gather for this weekend. No one does a rally better than we do!

2003 International CCD
Old 11-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Three Rivers , California
Original quote from Sempi2
From what I am reading, all of you ladies are traveling by yourselves. Single ladies?? Married ladies???
How do you manage to travel alone?/
I would be scared to death. Worried about hook-ups - both with the TV to TT, and water, electric, etc.
I'm not sure I could do a trip by myself
__________________________________________________ ______________

So right you are Reshecca, I did make that mistake. I should have said this in reference to Sempi2. My apoligies.
Come and join all the Silver sisters. I know a couple of them and they are great Ladies. Looking forward to meeting more...
AIR #17571
chapparel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #38
Vince & Virginia

1969 21' Globetrotter
Riverside , California
Regarding towing alone - as I keep saying - make sure you are comfortable driving your tow vehicle. I'd been driving our Suburban for 5 years before we hitched our Towster to it - so the extra length was not so intimidating. If you usually drive a mini cooper and your significant other is driving a Ford 350 superduty - switch for a couple of weeks -it will help alot!

Virginia
Old 11-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towster View Post
Regarding towing alone - as I keep saying - make sure you are comfortable driving your tow vehicle. I'd been driving our Suburban for 5 years before we hitched our Towster to it - so the extra length was not so intimidating. If you usually drive a mini cooper and your significant other is driving a Ford 350 superduty - switch for a couple of weeks -it will help alot!

Virginia
Actually my vehicle is our 09 Toyota Tundra. It is way bigger than my previous veh, in fact we are lucky we were able to get it in the garage. But I have got that down now, first few trips I had to fold the mirrors to get in without hitting the door frames. Now it is pretty easy. Plus I got a tip from some guy in a grocery parking lot on how to park such a big rig. He told me to find a spot I can pull all the way through. Like most have said it just takes practice. Thanks for all the help and support. Susan
Old 11-22-2009, 09:01 PM   #40
Kit
1 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
El Prado , New Mexico
Hello all the Silver sisters....I am new and would love to participate in a rally...I haven't read ALL the posts but was wondering if a place and time had been decided yet?

Sounds like a blast...

Kit
Old 11-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
Thanks !

Thanks to all for the condolences... I appreciate them so much!
My lovely 'Sistas'!!!
Julianne... I'll miss you for sure at Quartzite for Thanksgiving, I REALLY wanted to be there and 'boondock' with Streamers...
Laurel, I'm so sorry to hear about YOUR Mom... this is a bad year for us both!
Michelle, ... I'm hoping to break away a week or so at a time, every month or five weeks and get back to my home in Laguna. I'm not permanently moving back to the Midwest...tho I will be spending the majority of my time there, tending to some family business as a result from my Dad's passing.
Meredith... you are AMAZING!!! Tell these 'Newbie's' the real truth! Ahem!!!
Martha... I'm sooo looking forward to seeing you again and hearing more of your 'Sisters on the Fly' stories!

I 'really' need to see Ya'll !!!!

I would love to make it... we'll see, ...my Mom is pretty fragile and I'm not sure I should push it by not being here for her birthday... (wringing hands...)

http://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
If we could do the weekend prior to what we have talked about (no calender here in Quartzsite) I think more people could make it to the rally, espcecially our girl Debra. So can we put that on the books?
Getting my happy hour on here at Thanksgiving rally. I have to say it Airstream peeps are the best in the world!

2003 International CCD