Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Want to do a NW forum rally July 4th weekend?

I'd like to do a forum rally July 4th weekend, but I should have thought of it sooner. Silver Falls group camp is already booked up. I'm having trouble finding any group camps that weekend. July 4th falls on a Friday this year, so it can be an arrive on Thursday, leave on Sunday rally, which would be nice.

Any ideas on where we could have it?

[Update]

Ok, we're doing it at Airport Park in Vernonia, OR. Here's the signup:

Rally Sign Up

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #2
_

. , .
xmas in july?

great idea stef

how about 2 weeks earlier like mid june, and just pretend it's 7/4...

since i'll be in the pnw already for a-33, i'd love to see another group camping event min june.

silver falls was awesome, going out to long beach or would be neat too.

been thinking about going to st helens while out this trip too...

i know, 7/4 is a holiday and folks are off, but so many places are packed then...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Possibly. Donna may be burned out by then , or I may have been caught kissing the ground at a rest stop somewhere on the road and be roadkill by then. With A33 being our first Forum gathering we may be in overload mode.

Let us know what you come up with and I'll see if I can work our schedules to make it. Either mid June or July 4th works for us but not the 20th to 28th. Our time is a bit dynamic at the moment as I await surgery dates.

Barry
Old 04-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
conway , Washington
Stephanie, Loren and I would be interested for that weekend;
have you checked in on the Battle Ground area...BGSP or ____Firs (is it Talll Firs, Twin Firs?)
Keep us posted
Carolyn
paisanochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Seems like July 4th is booked out EVERYWHERE! I've been going through the park reservation sites for WA and OR, as well as any other campground like that, and there's not a site to be found.

I did find Takhlakh Lake campground in the GP national forest doesn't open until July 1 because of heavy snowfall in the area, and so sites appear to be available there. However due to road washouts most of the routes to get to it are also unavailable. I think it's also only available to very small trailers (as I recall from the last time we were there, back in our tent camping days). Anyone up for some adventure camping?

Don't worry, I'm still looking!

Old 04-08-2008, 11:08 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
conway , Washington
Stephanie, I don't know if anyone would want to travel back to the Troutlake area,.... but there's a small city park, with some sites w/ hookups, that's right in town but secluded and really neat! We've stayed there before. It's an idea, don't know if that would work?!?!?
How 'bout Fort Stevens in Hammond, Ore. or Fort Canby in Long Beach, WA
You go girl!
Carolyn
paisanochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:26 AM   #7
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts

I did find Takhlakh Lake campground in the GP national forest doesn't open until July 1 because of heavy snowfall in the area, and so sites appear to be available there. However due to road washouts most of the routes to get to it are also unavailable. I think it's also only available to very small trailers (as I recall from the last time we were there, back in our tent camping days).
We took our Safari to Takhlakh a couple of years ago in early July - the roads then left a lot to be desired, even towing with our truck. Beautiful campground, and there was room for larger rigs in some sites - my in-laws camped with us in their SOB motorhome. Beware the mosquitoes, though.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:48 PM   #8
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Sounds like fun - but we're working that weekend.

If you're free in June and like bluegrass there is good camping at the sacajawea bluegrass festival in pasco, wa. (we are working at this as well) but the park is beautiful and it's the only weekend of the year it's open for camping.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
We would be interested in a June or July event... I think we might be able to squeeze it in... if the gas prices don't get too much worse! We like Bluegrass...

Other places possibly to consider???

Cottage Grove has a nice campground at the lake (Army Corps of Engineers), Champoeg State Campground is nice... but probably booked for the 4th..., There is a private campground RV park thingy (about same amenities as Area 33) along the Umpqua River we have seen driving by but never stopped...it is between Sutherlin and Reedsport, Last year on the way to Area 33 we camped at Cove Palisades State Park (near Bend) and it was interesting... pretty far out in the sticks... the east side is most accessible the road to the west side might be challenging for longer rigs.
Anyway, if you find a place and date let us know! We would try to join in!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:08 PM   #10
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Steph, Just got back from the Stub Stewart rally, It was great fun and of course Perfect!!!! weather, but took a trip to the airport park at Vernonia and it would be perfect for a rally, no services but a creek, airstrip and lots of room. Even a golf course across the creek. I'll call tomorrow and check availability, I think it is a first come park but will find out details and report back.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:28 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Eugene , Oregon
Stephanie,

talk about like minds. We had check the Silver Falls group camp for that weekend too. I'll try to think of a place for that weekend.

What about county parks? or BLM?

Brad
Kintscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:54 PM   #12
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Vernonia Airport Park

Just talked to Vernonia and the Airport campground is a first come park. We can get there on tues and reserve sites. The Park reminds me a lot of area 33, nice wooded area by the creek, and big grassy area next to the runway, even a small playground, and nice outhouses . It would be boondocking but who cares. We are going to spend the 4th there. A parade and fireworks in Vernonia on the 4th.

Membership chair

wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Old 04-16-2008, 03:06 PM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
That sounds perfect. Only problem for us would be the fireworks. I was hoping to find someplace far from fireworks because Alki is deathly afraid of them.

But considering every other place is already booked up, I'd say that's as good a place as any!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Anybody got an Address/City for Airport Campground? I am clueless about its location.... hey, I am from [California], whatta ya expect? Besides once I was blond...

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis from the Great State of Jefferson
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Me too! Can you let us know where it is? I'm pretty interested myself for the family.
Marc and the M's
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:48 PM   #16
_

. , .
location, location, location...

Airport Park Map

Park Information

http://www.vernonia-or.gov/services/...nd%20Inset.pdf

interesting little community, i may check it out on the next nw loop!

i think this is close to where they are doing the ax men 'loggers competition ' reality show on cable...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:08 AM   #17
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Air, nice map, I didn't see that one. Yes, it is right in the middle of AX men, on the bike trail that goes from Vernonia to Banks, which is a state park trail, goes right by a logging operations. Last year we stopped along the trail and watched them fall trees and haul them up the hill, very interesting as to where our tp and lumber come from.
Steph, The airport park is about 3 miles from town so the fireworks shouldn't be too loud for Alkie, Lucy is the same way, she's shaking and hiding in our arms the whole time.
Vernonia, Oregon is in the middle of the n.w. corner of Oregon. From Portland take hwy 26 west to hwy 47 and follow to Vernonia, appox 15 miles. You will turn left about 3 miles before Vernonia at the sign that says Golf course, Airport Park, go a mile and turn right at Airport park. Easy to find even at 11pm 3m75 Argy. You can also come from St. Helens but that road is a S curve nightmare.
If a few of us get there early we can snag quite a few sites. We saw it on labor day last year and it only had 3 sites occupied.

Membership chair

wbcci#29827

Old 04-17-2008, 12:50 AM   #18
JDL
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
Stephanie,

Sounds like fun. Count me in.

JD
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Why don't you all come a little further North into BC? July 1st is the busy weekend here, so you should be able to find camping for July 4th. And no fireworks to worry Alki!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:41 AM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Pearl
Easy to find even at 11pm 3m75 Argy.
Oh, we're getting to know Marc all too well