Old 04-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
We'll come prepared to contribute to a potluck.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:58 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Quote:
Thanks Paula for an interesting idea. Rather than traveling to Roanoke direct from Richmond via Amelia and Appomattox courthouses, a estimated four hour trip, I may drive instead to Charlottesville/Staunton the night before and find a walmart or Cracker Barrel willing to put me up for the night. Then it's a four hour shot down the blue ridge parkway to Roanoke and the final HH suggested route path inward. Has anyone done this route from the north with suggestions or observations? I already shudder at the thought of passing cyclists, but I guess I have to learn that one through trial and error some day.....
Why do you not want to drive directly from Richmond to Roanoke? Just asking. Seems like a reasonable thing to do.

WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Airheadrus - in the barbershop harmony society, we call it an extended afterglow. I am sure aspects of the gathering will still be kicking a out when you arrive!

With regards to driving from Richmond or from Staunton; it's entirely about setting put he trip to take the experience down the Blue Ridge Parkway. I am sure the old farm roads would be equally nice; anything better than 81S.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
2007 23' Safari SE
1973 23' Safari
Roanoke , Virginia
hey Ian
i live in C'ville and am going to go down toward Roanoke and get on near the Peaks of Otter. if you are thinking of c'ville overnite let me know
jim
Old 04-27-2014, 08:53 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
Thanks Paula for an interesting idea. Rather than traveling to Roanoke direct from Richmond via Amelia and Appomattox courthouses, a estimated four hour trip, I may drive instead to Charlottesville/Staunton the night before and find a walmart or Cracker Barrel willing to put me up for the night. Then it's a four hour shot down the blue ridge parkway to Roanoke and the final HH suggested route path inward. Has anyone done this route from the north with suggestions or observations? I already shudder at the thought of passing cyclists, but I guess I have to learn that one through trial and error some day.....
Ian

I am very familiar with the area you are talking about. If you are arriving late then stay at the Walmart at exit 94. If you are arrivimg much earlier I would camp at Sherando lake. To get there, take exit 96 and head south on 664/814 for about 10 miles. They lock the front gate at 10. From SL take 814 about 5 miles to the BRP. Enjoy the parkway drive to HH.

Dan

Congrats on your new airstream.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #48
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We are planning a SLOW trip down Skyline Dr. and plan to stay over at the Loft Mtn. campsite. This will allow us to continue on the Blue Ridge PKY and arrive early in the day. I want the enjoy the slow pace of retired life while I'm able.

Anyhow, is there an agenda ???? I know this is an informal gathering and it seems there won't be a large mass of attendees. I do plan to make a side dish for dinner if someone can let me know when dinner is I would appreciate it. Looking forward to a small group of fellow Airstreamers that enjoy each others company.

See ya'll on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by acstokes View Post
Why do you not want to drive directly from Richmond to Roanoke? Just asking. Seems like a reasonable thing to do.
Fred

I agree. The best way to get from Richmond to HH is to take 360 to 307 to 460 east and onto the BR Parkway. We live in Lynchburg right off the 460 bypass and it is 2.5 hours from Richmond to Lynchburg and then about 75 miles to HH via 460 east and the BRP.

The route through C'ville then Waynesboro via 64 and then the BRP is an alternative route, probably taking 1.5 hours longer. I like circle routes. Go one way to the rally and take the other way home.

Roger

Loft Mountain is one of our favorite campgrounds. Maybe you can get one of the primo spots, A11-A14, that is close to the Appalachian Trail and a great place to watch the sunsets.

All

I have had knee surgery recently and will not be able to attend the rally. There is a possibility that my wife and I may drive down on Saturday afternoon for a while.

I talked to one the members recently, Wayne, at the Alumalina rally and he told me that a lot of trees had been cleared out making for much better sunset viewing than when the last rally at HH. Looking forward to seeing this for myself.

Dan
Old 04-28-2014, 02:33 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
As a slight tangent, I have Loft Mountain A-029 over the July 4 holiday (3-7) -- I'll report back what it was like but will keep the A11 range in mind.... Ian
Old 04-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Agenda - we don't need no stinkin' agenda!

But Seriously folks -

I won't impose my fondness for Chateau Morrisette unless there are other people who like wine who would enjoy a trip there. They do a Brunch at the restaurant on Saturday and Sunday... So I suppose it would have to be Saturday as some of us will need to leave fairly early on Sunday. They do have a biggish parking lot, but it wouldn't hold multiple Airstreams comfortably. There is another winery in Roanoke that got a nice comment from our camp host.

A communal meal? How about Friday night? I can make cannaloni & meatballs in a dutch oven. (cannaloni is the one that looks like sections of white hose cut up)... I'd normally make spaghetti, but that's hell on a paper plate. Cannaloni is fork friendly. I also make a decent beef stew, but the brunswick stew still needs to be worked on before presenting in public.

Anyone want to check on goings on in Floyd? Just walking through the hardware store is fun, but there's usually some pickin' and grinnin' on the weekends.

Paula
Old 04-30-2014, 09:57 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
2007 23' Safari SE
1973 23' Safari
Roanoke , Virginia
are we set for a pot luck Friday night ? also Paula i am up for a trip to the winery, I have heard it is quite good. I was already planning a trip into Floyd to check it out have not been there in years.

jim
Old 04-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Friday Night Pot Luck Supper

General guidelines for Potluck Supper

1) Bring your own chair if you can. Also silverware and plate (old WBCCI tradition is a divided cafeteria tray, but that is unimportant - many bring a stack of paper plates so they can pig out, bury the evidence and start over)
2) If you don't like to cook, volunteer to bring cups and drinks, soft drinks and hard drinks.
3) If it's a big rally, don't bring more than 6 servings... when there's only six or seven attendees like we're having? I'm cooking in a dutch oven so it's going to be enough to feed the multitudes. Ask me for leftovers - it won't hurt my feelings.
4) post what you're planning to bring - no one wants 5 jello molds at a pot luck
5) if you're a vegan, vegetarian, lactose intolerant, observe kosher, or have a severe food allergy, please come and bring your own meal. We still want the pleasure of your company and conversation. And heck, at one of these things I found out that some vegan foods are dee-lish!
6) When in doubt bring an "assemble it yourself" dish. A mini salad bar with lettuce and four to six add-ins is great.
7) if you like baklava (sp?) or hummis, or sheeps eye stew - bring it on, but label it for the unadventurous
8) pre-cutting servings of cakes and pies is a good idea
9) wearing loose belts is another good idea.

Below is an area to add on what you're bringing

Beverages

Appetizers (or horses douvers )

Salads/Veggies

Main Dishes
Paula - Cannolini & Meatballs

Starch/Fiber Side Dish

Desserts

See you there soon. Paula
Old 04-30-2014, 12:29 PM   #54
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Reservation made. Planning to make a veggie side dish. Hopefully in the DO but no guarantee on that effort.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:08 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
I plan to bring my slow cooker and the recipe ingredients for a beef and barley soup I've modified from an original Cook's Illustrated recipe. There will be far greater than six servings, but I plan on leftovers for the week.

Ian
Old 04-30-2014, 09:42 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
2007 23' Safari SE
1973 23' Safari
Roanoke , Virginia
well, since i don't cook well enough to think about fixing anything for a group of friends i will bring fruit, cut up but not mixed, also will bring some bowls to put it in.

Jim