2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
I believe the choice is May 8-11

Old 04-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Jack - Yes May 8 - 11 is selected, However I will probably hang out the whole week following the rally just because I need a VA-CA!

There are a couple of others who had already planned to stay at VHH for the month of May, so we may be like Tombstone AZ, the town to tough to die -

The Rally too tough to Die!

Old 04-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
May 8-11 it is then. Received our HH reservation confirmation. Janice will get right back to you. Look forward to seeing everyone. Jack
Old 04-13-2014, 07:49 AM   #32
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Put this on our calendar also. We just needed an excuse to cruse the Parkway.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:30 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
My wife, Kathy, and I have had reservations confirmed w/Jane for May 4 - May 12. We'll be meandering to Maine afterward. See y'all there!
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Tangent - Blue Ridge Parkway question... Does the rule allowing you to pull off the parkway and into grassy areas apply as well when trailer towing?
Old 04-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #35
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
So long as there are not any signs prohibiting pulling over I should think it would be OK. But in any case there are ample pull off's that can be used ( if there's room, that is).

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Pulling Off on the Parkway

We towed the Parkway in June 2013 with two other couples in caravan. There were only a few paved pullouts too crowded for the three Airstreams to park and still allow enough space for other vehicles. At some special viewing locations (like the Grandfather Mountain viaduct) there are visitor centers with enough paved parking space for trailer and tow vehicle. Even the top of Mount Mitchell in mid June had enough space for us to park.

I'm not aware of any rule preventing you from pulling off on the grass with a trailer. However, many of the shoulders are unsuitable for a tow vehicle trailer combination to pull off because they aren't wide enough or straight enough for the vehicles to be sufficiently off the pavement to keep from being a traffic hazard. Remember, if you pull off the shoulder in a curve, vehicles coming up behind you may not be able to see around you. The Parkway is only two lanes, and not a wide road, so if you pull off the road and are only inches from the pavement your may create a hazardous situation for traffic trying to pass by alongside your trailer.

In addition, some of the drop-offs are steep off the grassy shoulders and some of the shoulders that appear stable are too soft to support vehicles. Few of the Parkway shoulders have been reinforced with gravel to allow them to support heavy vehicles. The weather this winter/early spring has been very wet so some of the grass shoulders may still be extra soft when you are coming up the Parkway in early May.

My advice is to be safe and use the paved pull-off areas. There are many of them and most are worth the time to stop and admire the view. Pictures are attached to give you a perspective of the types of paved pull-offs we encountered along the Blue Ridge Parkway in June 2013.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3074.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	209588   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3076.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	343.5 KB
ID:	209589  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3081.jpg
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	209590   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3078.jpg
Size:	347.8 KB
ID:	209592  

TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
It's as official as it's gonna get

I listed it under the official rallies. May 8 - 11 though I'll be staying on longer.

Darn, I forgot to count the number of units coming. I think it's seven so it's a bit small for an official major potluck, but I'm sure we can all share a dinner or brunch. It's also normal to do an open house. At VHH, you cannot camp in anything but an Airstream. No vintage kin. I'd be happy to have day visitors who are in the "looking for an Airstream" category - so we should firm up a day and time for the open house. For new owners... here is how I've seen other open houses done:
  • set aside about 2 hours for "open house" one hour for you to show off yours, the other for you to look at everyone else's.
  • when you're touring just close your door, when you're receiving visitors open the door and leave just the screen closed
  • It's considered the height of fashion to wear socks while walking through another person's trailer so you don't track in any dirt. Just leave your clogs or sandals at the door. The pad sites are very nice at VHH, so it's unlikely you'll track anything in even if you retain your shoes. If you carry a beverage do so in a lidded and sealed container.
  • It's always interesting when there is a good mix between vintage and new - I was struck at how tiny the overhead lockers are in 50's units (coffee cup storage only)... but don't open closets, etc. unless you're invited. Most often people will show off everything.
  • Like the forums, BE NICE in your comments. Many people camp in "projects in progress" trailers.

Floyd normally has something going on for tourists on weekends. I'll search the web. Any people like Wine/Brunch - Chateau Morrisette is a nice ride down the Blue Ridge Parkway. I could empty all the crap out of my truck and take 4 people. BTW, the speed limit on the parkway is 45 MPH, and if you're dragging the A/S lots of people behind you will push you to go faster. The limit is pretty seriously enforced, so I've just pulled over to a scenic lookout and let the fast people troll for troopers for me.

Quilters? BIG fabric store in Floyd - in an old school building.

Fishing - I understand it's great in many steams, but I don't fish, perhaps others can chime in.

Best use of time - recline under the awning taking in the scenery - sipping a mimosa or other beverage of your choice.

more to come
Old 04-17-2014, 12:55 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
ATTENDEES - please go to the Rally Listings - bottom of portal page - click on this rally and RSVP.

Thank you. (Cooked stew in the Dutch, fed it to the neighbor's dog, he lived. Will offer it for lunch to my staff tomorrow. If they like it, I'll make it for dinner at the rally. This one was beef, but a Chicken based Brunswick stew might be possible too.)

Paula
Old 04-25-2014, 12:53 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
OK only four units have registered so far. Please PM me if you need the phone number or e-mail address of the guest host this week. They're at the park, prepping it to open.

We can have grills on our sites, but all open fires must be done at the fire pit, and we must check with the local fire authorities to verify that there isn't a drought and "no burn" order in force. I'll use my volcano grill and Dutch Oven.

Paula
Old 04-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Keep plugging them Paula; I now see seven!
Old 04-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Thanks Paula for an interesting idea. Rather than traveling to Roanoke direct from Richmond via Amelia and Appomattox courthouses, a estimated four hour trip, I may drive instead to Charlottesville/Staunton the night before and find a walmart or Cracker Barrel willing to put me up for the night. Then it's a four hour shot down the blue ridge parkway to Roanoke and the final HH suggested route path inward. Has anyone done this route from the north with suggestions or observations? I already shudder at the thought of passing cyclists, but I guess I have to learn that one through trial and error some day.....
Old 04-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #42
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
We are delaying our trip to Highland Haven and will miss this gathering. Maybe some of you will still be there when we do get in.
Joe & Annette