Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Virginia Highland Haven September Rally?

Would anyone be interested in having an informal Rally at Virginia Highland Have during mid-September? Sept 14, 15, 16.

The apples should be ripe, and the leaves turning - Just off the Blue Ridge Parkway about 20 miles north of Floyd Virginia.

It's been two years since I spent a night there and my wine cellar (six bottles) is empty. Since most people's children are back in school, it might just be 5 to 10 units sharing a quiet weekend - I'd envision nothing more complex than maybe one trip to Chateau Morrisette Winery and a pot luck supper.

One of our newest members RE-PETE just got his first Airstream and is anxious to take it out and meet others who stream. You do not have to be a member of WBCCI to join. Nightly rate at VHH is $25+$2.50 tax - full hookups. It's worth it just to watch the sunsets.

Paula
Old 08-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Sounds good Paula,
I will be at Highland Haven that weekend and would be in for the pot luck for sure. I hope a lot of others will come in also.
Joe
Old 08-14-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Are reservations required? The leaf time may be popular.

While i would like to, we can't go, Marie is on call the 16th...
Old 08-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
For what it is worth, the WBCCI Commonwealth Rally will be held in Virginia Beach that weekend. Frankly, I'd rather be at Highland Haven, but we are already committed to be in North Carolina that weekend for a non Airstream event.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
We would be interested, I've got it penciled in. We've never been to HH so a good excuse to go. Love the BRPW.

John & Susan
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Are reservations required? The leaf time may be popular.

While i would like to, we can't go, Marie is on call the 16th...
Oh, heck I was really hoping to see the two of you and you could meet RE-PETE. Could Marie get someone to swap? Maybe her Sunday for the next one?

I MIGHT make my world famous meatloaf... in the Dutch Oven... over charcoal... blatant bribery.

Paula
Old 08-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Would anyone be interested in having an informal Rally at Virginia Highland Have during mid-September? Sept 14, 15, 16.

The apples should be ripe, and the leaves turning - Just off the Blue Ridge Parkway about 20 miles north of Floyd Virginia.

...One of our newest members RE-PETE just got his first Airstream and is anxious to take it out and meet others who stream. You do not have to be a member of WBCCI to join. Nightly rate at VHH is $25+$2.50 tax - full hookups. It's worth it just to watch the sunsets.

Paula
Thanks for getting this ball rolling, Paula. Phyllis and I are looking forward to meeting and making new Streamer friends. Mid September should be a very pretty time on the BR Parkway. Sounds like a fun weekend I've not been to Virginia Highland Haven.

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack46 View Post
For what it is worth, the WBCCI Commonwealth Rally will be held in Virginia Beach that weekend. Frankly, I'd rather be at Highland Haven, but we are already committed to be in North Carolina that weekend for a non Airstream event.
Darn, I hoped that you and Janice would be able to make it. Have fun in NC. We'll get together soon.

Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Oh, poo! We'd be there in a heartbeat, but I let them schedule one of my committee meetings that weekend. Combine that with the Virginia Commonwealth Rally in VA Beach, and we'd be hard-pressed to make a decision. Have a GREAT time.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Update -

Called VA Highland Haven and they said there would be no problem fitting in 5 to 10 units that weekend. I'll probably leave VB a day early. Please go to their website and get the directions to the campground. If you're coming from the north you definitely want to get ON the parkway at the entrance recommended. The highway that looks so good is a scary collection of big "S" turns hand robust upgrades. The parkway is a ride in the sky.

I don't plan on having an agenda or anything formal, but a potluck always seems to happen - Friday or Saturday evening? I will also check for any interesting events in Floyd or other towns surrounding the area. I believe there is good flyfishing near the park, but it's not a hobby of mine. Anyone know for sure?

Paula
Old 08-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
I've only been to Floyd one time when visiting my son and his wife who lived in Blacksburg at the time. We ate a nice laid back restaurant and there was live bluegrass music. Might be fun. I'll check with the kids to see if they remember the name.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 08-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Aiken , South Carolina
Your timing is great as far as me REALLY needing to get away! I am going to plan to go - but - I have been called for jury duty for that week. I will need to see what happens and keep my plans loose. I have never been to HH and hear it is beautiful! I'll keep you posted. Thanks!
alumfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
There is bluegrass, with dancing, in Floyd every Friday evening - loads of fun - don't miss it! It's at the Country store.
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Oh, heck I was really hoping to see the two of you and you could meet RE-PETE. Could Marie get someone to swap? Maybe her Sunday for the next one?

I MIGHT make my world famous meatloaf... in the Dutch Oven... over charcoal... blatant bribery.

Paula
Marie says she will see what she can do. A new job, and all--it may be tough to ask favors.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Paula,

This is an awesome idea and sounds like a great destination, but alas a long journey for us for a weekend, and the following week I have to fly out of town on business. Maybe next time.

Maybe there might be an appetite for a VA Creeper get-together at some time. Too many great places, not enough time. Beautiful area!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Okay, Marie is off the 16th. I can come up the evening of the 14th, and Marie may have to drive up to meet us the morning of the 15th, as she has to work 3-11 the 14th.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Hi Paula,

At this point Phyl and I are talking about heading up on Thursday the 13th. We have to be back for a meeting in the early evening of the 17th so we plan on leaving the 16th, but may leave the morning of the 17th. Will the park be okay with that kind of arrangement?

Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 08-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Here's a link to the park:
Highland Haven
Old 08-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Pete View Post
Hi Paula,

At this point Phyl and I are talking about heading up on Thursday the 13th. We have to be back for a meeting in the early evening of the 17th so we plan on leaving the 16th, but may leave the morning of the 17th. Will the park be okay with that kind of arrangement?

Pete
Should be no problem. Just call and let them know when you're coming. I was planning on getting there a day early myself. It takes me a while to get the kinks out after a six hour drive. Overlander63 "Terry & Marie" have posted the link to the Haven. And when you see the pictures, sunsets really DO look like that. There will probably be 10-20 rigs there for the whole season with lots of people in residence. Everyone will help you park and get set up - no problemo.

Paula
Old 08-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Smith Mountain Lake , Virginia
Highland Haven

If you don't mind some newbies attending, Denise and I would like to make this week-end. We are only about an hour away, but have never visited HH.
Just getting back from a 3 month cross country this week and our little 1968 Safari 22' is ready for more.
Jim & Denise Pilversack
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
EscapePod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapePod View Post
If you don't mind some newbies attending, Denise and I would like to make this week-end. We are only about an hour away, but have never visited HH.
Just getting back from a 3 month cross country this week and our little 1968 Safari 22' is ready for more.
Jim & Denise Pilversack
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
You are of course more than welcome.

Hem.... However... if you've done a 3 month cross country, I'm thinking that you've graduated from "newbie" status - however I don't know what the next rank actually is. Dandy Don Meredith (Dallas Cowboy from times of yore) once said something like, "There are one or two golden years when you're no longer an untried rookie, and you haven't yet become a grizzled veteran." Perhaps that's you.

See you at the Havens (stolen from Lord of the Ring trilogy)

Paula