Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #181
1 Rivet Member

Matthews , North Carolina
Hello everyone,
I was planning to be there today, but my cat became ill last nite. We took him to the Vet today, looks like he will be OK. We had to cancel the trip this weekend. We might try to be there Wednesday, but I'm sure most of you will be gone by then.
I hope everyone has a great time and maybe we'll meet y'all next rally.

Bill And Nancy
Pappyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #182
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Sorry you were not able to make it but glad your kitty is ok.
Joe
Old 09-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #183
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What a great time!

Thanks to everyone for wonderful conversation and a terrific potluck.

Travel safe, and hope to see y'all again soon.

Doug & Maggie.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #184
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbee View Post
Hey Terry-Hope ya'll can post some pictures for us unfortunates not able to make it.

Tom and Deborah
Here are some random photos of the park. I was pretty involved in the festivities, and couldn't take photos while "working". There were a couple of others snapping photos, hopefully they'll join in with more pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0001.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	168435   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0002.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	168436  

Name:	DSCI0003.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	348.3 KB
ID:	168437  
Old 09-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #185
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
We are home safe, and Bertha is unloaded already. Thanks to everyone for such a great time. Met lots of old friends and found some new ones. look forward to seeing everyone soon.

Marie
Old 09-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #186
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
I second that, with a toast to Paula for throwing the party, and a toast to Terry and Marie for outstanding technical support. And a toast to all of us for having the good fortune to be there and share in all the fun.

On a personal note, thank you to all for your concerns for me and my unexpected, unwanted guest Mr. Vertigo. He was determined to screw up my good time but I was more determined for him not to. The drive home today was a bit of a challenge but I am home and the shiny side is still up.

Sure good to see old friends and to make new friends. The "old friends " group just gets bigger and bigger. Dang I love this place!!

Happy trails, safe travels, and we'll definitely see you down the road.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #187
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Here are some random photos of the park. I was pretty involved in the festivities, and couldn't take photos while "working". There were a couple of others snapping photos, hopefully they'll join in with more pictures:
Well now Terry, you're just gonna have to start pulling a double shift.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #188
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Today dawned gloomy, with some rain early on. It's really supposed to come down tomorrow, with over 3 inches expected. Here are some more photos, kind of grey, but still scenic:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCI0005.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	168439   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0006.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	168440  

Name:	DSCI0007.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	168441   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0008.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	168442  

Old 09-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #189
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
And the last group of photos:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCI0009.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	168447   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0010.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	168448  

Name:	DSCI0011.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	168449   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0012.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	168450  

Old 09-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #190
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Frank and I thank everyone for such a good time; we especially enjoyed meeting y'all and making new friends................looking forward to seeing everyone again.

We agree with Sandlapper, many thanks to Paula, Terry and Marie for all their work/planning. Also, a boatload of thanks to Terry for his talking us through some things for "Lola".

We arrived home around 5:30, picked up our furry member of the family (Cooper, a 9mo. Goldendoodle), grabbed a bite to eat and unloaded. Whew!

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #191
2 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1974 25' Tradewind
1973 31' Sovereign
Charlottesville , Virginia
Dear All,

Thanks to Paula, Marie and Terry for all their planning, support, assistance and breakfast! I was a little nervous about my first rally in a TW with no kitchen, bathroom, furniture or much else (though not a bit worried about driving 3 1/2 hours with no BRAKES!) and I would like to say I have never had a better time, felt more welcomed or been surrounded by so many kindred spirits. Not to mention the food! Which on my part would not have been possible without my neighbors Pete and Phyllis letting me use their stove. I was so inspired by Terry's lesson in electricity that I got a plug for my lights and brakes, just spent an hour wiring it (slow, that's me) and I now have running lights except for where the bulbs are burned out (?) and hopefully brakes though I was too tired to hook it back up and take a spin. But nothing caught fire immediately, always a good sign. I am so grateful for the knowledge shared and the time spent helping me, many thanks to Terry. I hope any of you that are passing through Charlottesville will know that you are always assured a berth here or at my farm, which is lovely for boondocking.

Cheers!

Janet
ASIcons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #192
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Many thanks to Paula, Terry and Marie for their leadership in putting on a great rally. This was Brenda's first rally and I think that she had a great time. What a great bunch of people we met at the rally. Thanks for that delicious martini Doug.

Here are some more photos.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4589.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	168479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4590.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	168480  

Name:	IMG_4594.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	168481   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4597.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	168482  

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #193
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
For those of you wanting more info on the how-to's of Dutch oven cooking, there is a link to Byron's Dutch Oven Cooking in the Stella's kitchen sub forum of the Airstream Lifestyle forum.

This will tell you everything you need to know, and includes lots of great recipes.

I would post a link but this d--- iPad doesn't let me.

Mggie
Old 09-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #194
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
For those of you wanting more info on the how-to's of Dutch oven cooking, there is a link to Byron's Dutch Oven Cooking in the Stella's kitchen sub forum of the Airstream Lifestyle forum.

This will tell you everything you need to know, and includes lots of great recipes.

I would post a link but this d--- iPad doesn't let me.

Mggie
Just find the web page you want, hold your finger on the address bar after the page finishes loading. You will get choices that pop up like cut and copy. Touch "copy", it will copy the link. Then come back here and touch the reply window, you will have the choice to paste. It takes longer to talk about than to do:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ing-40090.html

Maybe that can be a seminar next time. "Using your iPad without pitching it out the window in frustration".
Old 09-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #195
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Wow what a great weekend!

Wow what a great weekend!

There were a lot of firsts for us this weekend. First time at Virginia Highland Haven, first Rally, and a First time for meeting most of the great folks who attended. Hopefully this is just the beginning of lasting friendships. The spirit of openness and camaraderie was simply terrific.

Phyllis and I had a great time and we look forward to seeing all of you again at future rallies or just on the road.

Paula, a special thanks to you, the "Hostess with the Mostess". I know you said that all you did was post a message about getting together, well look where it led! You deserve all the credit.

Here are few pictures that I took. I believe Phyllis (Phoedis) has some as well and will get them posted as soon as she can. She hit the ground running this morning and so it probably won't be today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-09-12 19-36-50.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	168518   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-12 19-46-16.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	168519  

Name:	2012-09-14 11-57-18.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	168520   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-14 12-00-52.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	168521  

TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #196
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Just find the web page you want, hold your finger on the address bar after the page finishes loading. You will get choices that pop up like cut and copy. Touch "copy", it will copy the link. Then come back here and touch the reply window, you will have the choice to paste. It takes longer to talk about than to do:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ing-40090.html

Maybe that can be a seminar next time. "Using your iPad without pitching it out the window in frustration".
Oh. . How simple. I'll try it.

Thanks!

Maggie
Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #197
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Left on Monday

Fortunately the weather held up well until Monday morning - when a killer fog came in. After a little delay due to the slow leak in a back tire (loose valve) I got going, but the Parkway was 30 miles of fog - most times visability was 10 feet or less, and I was guided only by the centerline of the road. I finally pulled over and waited for about 2 hours when it started to rain. Most of the rest of the trip home on 460 was uneventful but slow.

I did talk to the campground hosts, and they'd be happy to have us back next year. I did ask if it might be possible to have a "lights out" for half an hour of star gazing and they didn't think it would be a problem.

It was a real pleasure to meet so many nice people... and I hope some of you will consider doing it again. I'd probably set it a week later as the leaves would have more chance to turn. I'll bet the rain alone got the process kick started. .....hm. Am I in the mood for another six hour run this coming weekend...?

Paula
Old 09-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #198
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We would love to make this an annual event. Pick a weekend, and we'll put it on the calendar.

We spent Sunday night in the Potts mountain wayside, we and a flock of chickens who visited several times to see if we were passing out corn or some other little goody. It was very quiet after dark but for the only occasional vehicle.

For those of you who enjoy boondocking, there are lovely campgrounds in the New River Gorge National Scenic River area just north of Beckley, West Virginia. No facilities but pit toilets, but paved and level sites, fire pits, picnic tables and grills at each site. And, FREE!

Take care and travel safe,

Maggie
Old 09-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #199
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
We had such a great time that making it an annual event sounds terrific, but we'll have to wait to see what's happening since Frank is not retired yet, time off gets a little difficult sometimes.

As we mentioned to some, we loved the restaurant "Micky G's" so much that we ate there two days in a row (Italian)! Later we discussed the fact that we'd eaten quite a bit of garlic both days and hoped no one else had noticed (it tends to come out of the pores) -- great tasting and healthful, but probably not so much for others around you.

Maggie, is there any specific route number around the New River Gorge National Scenic River to find those boondocking sites?

Deb

PS -- I anyone else who was at this rally going to the "unrally" at Penn Wood, PA in October, that is besides us?
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #200
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We ate at Mickey g's Friday night, some of the best Italian we have ever had.

We did a new river gorge campground off 41north out of beckley, wva., a hard right before mccreery takes you right there. Grandview sandbar, I believe. There are several there, this one looked like the easiest to get into. Roads are winding but in very good shape.

If you have an app or campground book that shows you national park sites, that would be a good resource. We use the camp where app on the iPad.

Maggie