Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Yes it is - and Brenda is still with us too - though she is weaker. Every day counts with the younger children so much.Paula
Paula ~ I've wondered how Brenda & the kids were getting along. Maybe you could start a thread here in which you could post periodic updates? I'm sure lots of folks here would like to know. I know I got wrapped up in her story, all the various forms of sharing & interest from this wonderful group and the stories of the family's wonderful trip.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
Paula'
What is the head count? Will there be many of the host park there? If so It's only fair to extend the potluck invite to all! I could put together Chile and home made bread, all I need is an approx count. Let me know what is needed and we will do something. Salad might be a good addition.
Steve & Di
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Salad would be perfect. You make one, I'll do another.

Brenda - I'll ask Karen (PrudencePB) to start that thread.

I make "honeymoon salad" (lettuce alone - cut in wedges) with several sides, cherry tomatos, red onions, blue moon cheese, bacon bits, croutons, Ranch or Italian dressing - and I have a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar which complements the ranch too.

AirHeadsRus - I sent Joe a PM. I'm pretty sure he's at the VHH right now, so he'll have a pretty good idea of how many people are on the campground now, and I'll call for the camp host after noon - assuming they'll be in church in the morning.

Apple crisp... drooling right now.

Had a recipe from Alton Brown for Apple Pie that didn't use cinnamon, but was seasoned with grains of paradise - a seasoning often used in beer making. Sounded delicious. Also had another with a crumble crust that had chopped pecans in it. Lost both, but will look online. Won't have time to experiment, but if there are apples to spare and I can find the recipes on the internet? Who knows.

BTW Re-Pete.... If you've ever had an interest in learning doing some Dutch Oven cooking, the Kitchen Barn at Hilltop moved to it's new space near Laskin, across from the No Frill Grill - and they stock the ENTIRE line of Hodge stuff. Of course it is NOT at a deep discount !!!! at that kind of place, but if you want it they've got it.

I think I'll go down there and buy 12 inch shallow one so I can double up on the meatloaf!
Old 08-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
I may have read this sometime, but I was wondering if there are firerings at each site, or will we be using one common large firering to cook?

We have a casserole we like to cook which consists of corn/green beans/sweet peppers/onions/potatoes/sausage, we can bring that.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
RePete

I chose another way to address the blue beltline issue. I will be at the Virginia Highland rally. you can see firsthand my solution. I will also bring my spare blue vinyl beltline. I just was looking for an alternative to clipping "party" lights to my awning. Your pic apears to be the street side. My soluton is for the curbside. I will post a pic, but this is one of the original solution before warranty claim. If anyone has an interest I will also bring extra bits I have saved from my, 74 argosy, 78 soverign and 79 soverigns. Can't wait to see-meet everone.

Steve & Di
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0856.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	166825  
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:13 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser
I may have read this sometime, but I was wondering if there are firerings at each site, or will we be using one common large firering to cook?

We have a casserole we like to cook which consists of corn/green beans/sweet peppers/onions/potatoes/sausage, we can bring that.

Deb
If you're referring to dutch oven cooking, we have used a large square of foil when there has been no fire pit available or appropriate. We have plenty, if needed.

Maggie
Old 08-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
I have a "volcano cooker" I'll be using. For D.O. cooking you can also use a paving block and just lay the coals on it.

I finally decided to play "crash test dummy" and ordered those 2 for 1 NuWave Precision Induction Cooking burners - and baptize them at the rally. They should be good for anything we want hot. (Gotta watch out for anything that's "free" just pay the shipping and packing - the shipping and packing are no bargain.

I don't remember if there are fire rings or not, but I'll call today and check. My sister Karen has to work Friday but will come down early Saturday and should be here for the pot luck.

I don't want to impose an agenda, but I'd say Saturday evening is good for the potluck, Friday evening of course is Blue Grass Music in Floyd - so the winery? Apple pickin' must obviously fit in somewhere if we're making pie!

Paula
Old 08-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds like a good plan, to me.

I'm in for apple something in the DO Saturday night, will probably do my corn dish too----it is really yummy and not too lethal. If we can get fresh apples, that sounds great.

I love the idea of live bluegrass Friday night! Not something we get at home.

We volunteer to drive folks around and in for this, can carry 5-6 plus us. Unhooking for us is simple, and it will give miss lily a place to be.

Maggie
Old 08-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Yes, I was referring to DO cooking and was wondering about how everyone was going to cook theirs. (I just reread my previous post and saw I misspelled fire ring, so sorry about that; I was in too much of a hurry to post.)

I think I'll look for a paving block and bring the large foil -- can't be too careful. Sounds as though I need to practice these methods before we come. My DH did build a fire ring for us at home so I could practice DO cooking here, but I hadn't thought about how to go about it when the campground didn't have fire rings.

As far as an agenda...............we're open and everything you suggested sounds wonderful. Probably sometime Saturday we'll do a drive around the area since we haven't been there before; we love to tour around and check out new areas.

We're looking forward to this!

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We did our first DO cooking in our weber grill at home on the patio.

Worked fine, sourdough bread, I think.

I was giggling like a kid, as I saw how well it did, and everything got brown and crusty, just like its supposed to. .

Don't worry too much about practicing, there will be plenty of helpers there.

Maggie
Old 08-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #71
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
This rally sure sounds like a bunch of fun. We like VHH and the sunsets are almost always spectacular on that ridge.

We already have plans to attend the iRV2 National Rally in Sevierville, TN and it starts that same weekend. Hmmm? Just wondering if we can do both? Maybe with a little smoke and mirrors we can be two places at the same time.

Post lots of pictures - sunsets, dutch oven meals.... sounds great!

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly
This rally sure sounds like a bunch of fun. We like VHH and the sunsets are almost always spectacular on that ridge.

We already have plans to attend the iRV2 National Rally in Sevierville, TN and it starts that same weekend. Hmmm? Just wondering if we can do both? Maybe with a little smoke and mirrors we can be two places at the same time.

Post lots of pictures - sunsets, dutch oven meals.... sounds great!

Lucius
That would be great! Are the two locations so far apart that you can't be at both?

Love to meet you!

Maggie
Old 08-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Akron , Ohio
I suggest we do an early lunch at the Chateau Morrisette restaurant then do the wine tasting. They are quite generous with the samples. Paula & I were a bit toasted after our visit a few years ago so food 1st is a REALLY good idea. It's a very nice winery with lovely things to taste and a beautiful view.
prudencepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Hello everyone! Pete's been keeping me posted on the updates but I thought I'd join in the fun. The potluck sounds great, and it looked like there will be a lot of food. Since we are vegans how about we bring some twigs and berries for dessert? Just kidding of course, we would be happy to contribute something to the meal, how about some chili and cornbread?
Phoedis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by prudencepb
I suggest we do an early lunch at the Chateau Morrisette restaurant then do the wine tasting. They are quite generous with the samples. Paula & I were a bit toasted after our visit a few years ago so food 1st is a REALLY good idea. It's a very nice winery with lovely things to taste and a beautiful view.
I think we would pass on this.

Maggie
Old 08-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #76
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
I think we would pass on this.

Maggie
Yes, alcohol +alcohol + more alcohol =
Old 08-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Dear Doug and Maggie - Chateau Morrisette has a lovely restaurant - and if you want to come just for the meal and the view - I for one would love to have your company and your conversation. If you're more comfortable leaving immediately after lunch or being the designated drivers - or just makng sure you help "caravan" us back to the corral afterwards that would be great too.

I don't have much patience with anyone who pressures others to drink when they don't want to.

I enjoy a good glass of wine or a mixed drink, but know that my capacity is very limited. I've always thought this toast was written for me:
One is my limit ...or two at the most
Three's under the table,
Four's under the host!

And since I'm nominally the "host" .........:blush :
.... in the words of the immortal Shirley Temple
"Oh... My goo'ness gracious!"
Old 08-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Trust me, I have no problem saying "no".

The restaurant sounds lovely, and I'm sure it is. We have no lovely clothes with us, though, just comfy travlin'&ramblin things.

We left home with no rallies on the radar, now have two!

We'll see.

Maggie
Old 08-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
This is FLOYD county Virginia - there's one traffic light in the whole county. My sister and I ate there (LUNCH) dressed in jeans and T-shirts. I had a memorable tomato bisque soup! Drooling again. Dinner might be dress up but lunch isn't. Most of the people "tasting" are casual attire.

I have an Iron and Ironing board - we could put a crease in your jeans for a more formal look
Old 08-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
This is FLOYD county Virginia - there's one traffic light in the whole county. My sister and I ate there (LUNCH) dressed in jeans and T-shirts. I had a memorable tomato bisque soup! Drooling again. Dinner might be dress up but lunch isn't. Most of the people "tasting" are casual attire.

I have an Iron and Ironing board - we could put a crease in your jeans for a more formal look
Okay, okay. We'll see.

No jeans to press, only shorts and capris. . Seriously casual clothing.

Maggie