Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Sunnygirl (DW) and I were at Highland Haven a couple of weeks ago for the Carolina's Unit August rally and extended our stay for a few days. It was delightful. We wish we could join you in September at HH but have a calendar conflict we can't change. We hope this becomes an annual Forums rally. Perhaps we'll see some of you at Canopener in January.

With respect to eating, the Pine Tavern in Floyd serves southern food family style and can accommodate large groups. During the recent Carolina's unit rally they easily handled our group of 30. Mickey G's, an excellent Italian restaurant in Floyd is a "must" dining experience but the restaurant doesn't have enough tables for a large group. There are other restaurants in town but we haven't tried them. We have heard good things about the winery. The clubhouse at HH is a great location for a big potluck dinner or breakfast. There is usually bluegrass and country music in downtown Floyd to experience on Friday night.

The sunsets are beautiful this time of year. Enjoy breakfast or lunch at nearby Mabry Mill on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Have a great time!
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
Doug & Maggie, I'm a grateful recoverin' Yankee myself. I now know that "Hail" is the ultimate abode of General William T. Sherman and that in the south Sh** is a 2 sylible word pronounced "Sheeee-it". Of course you are welcome. My sister Karen will be joining us - driving down from Ohio early Saturday morning and hanging out through half of monday. She's trailerless, but keeps threatening to get a Casita and "camo" it with aluminum foil!

Mudslides eh? can't say as I've ever tried one. I'll bring a thimble just to be careful. I have only three living brain cells left.

Paula
Karen of the Bucket List thread?

Terry (overlander63) is the mudslide-maker, and not to be trusted! . He makes 'em STRONG, but they are to-die-for delicious.

Actually, I'm a born and raised Yankee but with Confederate roots that go way back. Bit of both in me.

Maggie
Old 08-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Karen of the Bucket List thread?

Terry (overlander63) is the mudslide-maker, and not to be trusted! . He makes 'em STRONG, but they are to-die-for delicious.

Actually, I'm a born and raised Yankee but with Confederate roots that go way back. Bit of both in me.

Maggie
Yes it is - and Brenda is still with us too - though she is weaker. Every day counts with the younger children so much.

Paula
Old 08-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again

Yes it is - and Brenda is still with us too - though she is weaker. Every day counts with the younger children so much.

Paula

Will be nice to meet Karen.

Maggie
Old 08-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #45
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:

Maggie
I have two mudslides, regular and high-test.
With high test, the first one tastes like chocolate milk. The second doesn't taste like anything. You don't remember what the third one tastes like, and we have to pour you into your trailer...
Maggie, please remind me about the lower octane drinks when I'm making them for you, we don't want a problem with drug interaction.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I have two mudslides, regular and high-test.
With high test, the first one tastes like chocolate milk. The second doesn't taste like anything. You don't remember what the third one tastes like, and we have to pour you into your trailer...
Maggie, please remind me about the lower octane drinks when I'm making them for you, we don't want a problem with drug interaction.
Awwww, you're so sweet. . Seriously, it's blood thinners, not to be trifled wit, just ask Marie.

It's the ice cream and chocolate syrup in there that I like---who cares about the alcohol! .

Maggie
Old 08-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Good evening everyone. Count us in, I just called and reserved a site!

Looking forward to meeting everyone, especially after reading your posts for the past couple of years.

Deb Hall
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Oh, and I forgot to say that this will be our very first Airstream Rally to be in attendance!

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:25 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser
Oh, and I forgot to say that this will be our very first Airstream Rally to be in attendance!

Deb
Awww, that's neat!

It will be great fun to meet so many new folks.

Maggie
Old 08-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #50
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Made the call today to get my site. Planning to roll in on Thursday.

I'm southern through and through. So.... Paula, I must ask: can you shape that meat loaf to look like a possum?
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well be in on Thursday, as well.

Maggie
Old 08-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Reserve it!!!!!

Hello all, just spoke to the host Joe Connoly - and we did an informal count of units coming 6 confirmed, and 2 maybe's.

If you haven't made a reservation yet, please do so as soon as possible. They have plenty of sites available at the moment, but that could diminish as the leaves start to turn. The number for reservations is:
540-651-9050
If you get the voice mail, leave a name, callback #, WBCCI if any, and dates you'll be coming in and leaving.

You may want to know that this is a shareholder owned park, and that there is no waiting list, but only ONE share is available for sale at this time. They aren't pushy about selling shares, but if you're interested act quickly - they usually do have a waiting list.

They confirmed that there is bluegrass music every friday night in Floyd outside the general store, inside if raining. There's one traffic light in Floyd county and it's in the city of Floyd. For any quilters, etc. there is an old school building in Floyd that is a pretty remarkable fabric store.

Don't forget to call Terry (overlander63) at Out Of Doors Mart if you need any Airstream parts that are small enough to fit in his truck or trailer. You can go to their website to the parts department and find out about the good stuff they have in stock, too.
336-993-4518
866-636-2267

Bye for now. Paula
Old 08-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #53
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I called and made our reservation this afternoon. "Oh, you're the one that's bringing all the goodies for the trailers!"
Uh, yes, that's me...

I was also told they don't accept credit cards. Cash or checks only, so don't forget your checkbook to pay for your sites.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Made the call today to get my site. Planning to roll in on Thursday.

I'm southern through and through. So.... Paula, I must ask: can you shape that meat loaf to look like a possum?
Since I'm planning on doing it in a Dutch Oven, that should be easy.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Paula, are we going to do Potlucks, sign ups, or just wing it?

I'm hearing that apples are ripening early this year, am thinking of doing a pie or crisp in the DO, also have a delicious new corn dish that I've made a couple of times.

Hope we have mild-to-cool weather, much more conducive to cooking and fireside chats.

Maggie
Old 08-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper
Paula, I must ask: can you shape that meat loaf to look like a possum?

I have a favorite DO at home, not the flat lidded type for charcoal, that I bought in west Virginia about 40 years ago (yikes!).

It is hammered all over, which was the appeal, but had the most awful, rancid smell to it. I was living and working out there at the time, with the first spouse, and coworkers told me that a) many folks only wiped out their Dutch ovens, didn't actually clean them, and b) that groundhog was a favorite DO dish with the old folks. !! I scrubbed and scoured that with an SOS pad before re-seasoning it, only then did the smell and foul taste that permeated everything go away.

Southerners also eat rabbit and squirrel, right? We could do a Brunswick stew. Anyone want to bring rabbit and squirrel? Ha!

Maggie
Old 08-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I managed to con a new nurse into working for me on the 14th. I promised her one of Terry's mudslides! So I will be with Terry and Sophie on Friday night.
I'm making a bluberry refrigerator cake, all diabetics can eat it, and it is so yummy!
I'm off Friday morning, so if anyone wants smashed potatoes to go with the meatloaf, (I love meatloaf), I can do them and re-heat when we eat, let me know.
I can't wait to see everyone!!

Marie
Old 08-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd90mac
I managed to con a new nurse into working for me on the 14th. I promised her one of Terry's mudslides! So I will be with Terry and Sophie on Friday night.
I'm making a bluberry refrigerator cake, all diabetics can eat it, and it is so yummy!
I'm off Friday morning, so if anyone wants smashed potatoes to go with the meatloaf, (I love meatloaf), I can do them and re-heat when we eat, let me know.
I can't wait to see everyone!!

Marie
Yaaay!!! Will be great to see you.

I could maybe do my new corn dish to go with smashed potatoes and meatloaf. ???

Maggie
Old 08-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Yaaay!!! Will be great to see you.

I could maybe do my new corn dish to go with smashed potatoes and meatloaf. ???

Maggie

The new corn dish sounds good, I'm in for trying it.

Marie
Old 08-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd90mac

The new corn dish sounds good, I'm in for trying it.

Marie
Well, then, I'll make it!

Maggie