Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #201
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Glad you made it home safe and sound Paula, sounds like it got a bit treacherous.

I know Phyllis and I would enjoy getting back together next year. Of course at this point we don't know where we'll be this time next year, but if we're in the area, we'd love to meet up with everyone again.

Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #202
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Sorry I missed this thread. I'm hoping by next year we'll have our own AS.

Just an FYI. i saw where someone mentioned Peaks of Otter. I found out something I never knew, a few years back, while at Peaks of Otter. Hawks migrate in the fall from the north down the Appalacian (spell?) mountains. In the middle of Sept we were at Peaks of Otter and I lost count of the number of hawks at 37.....too much swirling and all. I thought they were buzzards until a Park Ranger corrected me. Then when a few flew low enough you could see clearly they were hawks. So if you do it again next year around the same time, keep time open on your schedule for Peaks of Otter and a hawk watch.
Getaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #203
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post

For those of you who enjoy boondocking, there are lovely campgrounds in the New River Gorge National Scenic River area just north of Beckley, West Virginia. No facilities but pit toilets, but paved and level sites, fire pits, picnic tables and grills at each site. And, FREE!

Maggie
Maggie, I hope you and Doug are keeping track of all the great places you find to boondock so Phyllis and I can eventually hit you up for the inside scoop.

You guys be safe out there.

Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 09-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #204
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
We did a new river gorge campground off 41north out of beckley, wva., a hard right before mccreery takes you right there. Grandview sandbar, I believe. There are several there, this one looked like the easiest to get into. Roads are winding but in very good shape.

If you have an app or campground book that shows you national park sites, that would be a good resource. We use the camp where app on the iPad.

Maggie
Thanks for the info about New River Gorge Campgrounds. Hard to beat FREE. Here is a link about Grandview Sandbar and the other campgrounds in the National River Park.

Campgrounds - New River Gorge National River

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #205
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Head Count

Yep, count Susan and me in next year.

Best darn Possum loaf I've ever had. Must be the altitude. Definitely worth coming back for again.

Heck, a year is a long time away to wait to see you folks. Put Alumalina on your calender. Oct of this year or March of next.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #206
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
1966 20' Globetrotter
johnsoncity , Tennessee
Just a note to let you know Karen and I loved meeting all the folks at the rally. Doug and Maggie thanks for being such good neighbors. Hats off to Paula for getting things started, and Terry and Marie for the gifts and being such good ambassadors.
Pete and Phylis have a great journey as you travel thru this great country stay in touch. John hope to see you at Alumalina.
Great to know the Airforums people.

Don and Karen
donh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #207
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
What a great Time!

This had to be the best faux rally yet. Paula, can't thank you enough for the spur of the moment idea (and the great possum DO meatloaf). The potluck dinner was fabulous and could have served 100 . Was so involved in enjoying the potluck I failed to take any pic's.

Great seeing everyone old and new. We were surprised at the great turnout on such a whim. Kudo's to the owners of Highland Haven for their kindness, hospitality and help. What a lovely location, I vote to do it again (maybe a week later to enjoy more of the fall foliage.)

As usual the weekend passed too fast. Did anyone keep a log of the folks who attended?

I have attached some pic's for all to enjoy. I lucked out on the trip home, when I pulled in to home noticed I had a soft tire, by morning it was flat. I picked up a chunk of steel on the way home. I might have to invest in a TPMS system.

Steve & Di
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Getting close.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	168734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Arrival Fri.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	168735  

Name:	Sunset over Sandlapper.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	168736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lots of Aluminum.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	504.4 KB
ID:	168737  

Name:	Getting Setteled.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	455.5 KB
ID:	168738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Steve getting comfy.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	168739  

Name:	Nice view.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	349.6 KB
ID:	168740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clubhouse.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	168741  

heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #208
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by heslinhotel View Post
I lucked out on the trip home, when I pulled in to home noticed I had a soft tire, by morning it was flat. I picked up a chunk of steel on the way home. I might have to invest in a TPMS system.

Steve & Di
Whew! Glad it wasn't any worse. It was good meeting you and happy you both made it home safe and sound.

I heard a lot this weekend about checking tire dates, etc., but I failed to find out how to that exactly. We've experienced blowouts of trailer tires when towing BA (before Airstream), one was bad enough to do some substantial damage and required axle replacement. So this is something I need to learn.

Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 09-21-2012, 05:34 AM   #209
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
this d--- iPad doesn't let me.

Mggie
Apple has an update for your iPad. I would wait a while until they get some of the bugs ironed out. Among other things, their new maps app isn't ready for prime time yet. Ask me how I learned this...
Old 09-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #210
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Too late, I downloaded the upgrade last night. We'll see.

I use a GPS HD app for maps which works very well.

Maggie
Old 09-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #211
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
All attendees please PM me with your Name, e-mail address, and optionally daytime phone number. I'll put up an invitation for another un-rally next year - a week later than the rally this year.

Events suggested:
1 "red light district" - turn off all of the white lights in the park for 1/2 hour of serious star gazing. (Use red filters and you won't get night blind, or put a patch over one eye if going into a white light area such as your trailer. You can come back out and still see the stars clearly with the eye you covered.)
2. Brunch at Chateau Morrisette - expensive but YUMMY! (available Sat & Sunday). The winery is located just off the Blue Ridge Parkway about 6-7 miles southwest of Floyd. Parking lot can accommodate small trailers - and Interstates with no problem.
3. Potluck again - and I'll make a lot LESS food. My operators just finished the possum loaf last night. Maybe bison stew.
4. GIZMO brag - show us your neatest "Airstream Gizmo" or modification that makes camping safer, easier, more fun... (One of my favorite from the past came as a result of several people complaining that their toilet paper always unraveled while driving. All sorts of covered rolls, etc were proposed. The winner? Crush the roll so the cardboard is nearly flat. Put in roller. - Pure simplicity)
5. Happy hour - beverage of choice samples. Mine is hard cider... only about 2% alcohol, tastes fizzy and not sickeningly sweet, and it's good for you lower GI tract.

Paula
Old 09-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #212
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

4. GIZMO brag - show us your neatest "Airstream Gizmo" or modification that makes camping safer, easier, more fun... (One of my favorite from the past came as a result of several people complaining that their toilet paper always unraveled while driving. All sorts of covered rolls, etc were proposed. The winner? Crush the roll so the cardboard is nearly flat. Put in roller. - Pure simplicity)

Paula
And here I was, thinking what a genius I must be for crushing the roll. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #213
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Apple has an update for your iPad. I would wait a while until they get some of the bugs ironed out. Among other things, their new maps app isn't ready for prime time yet. Ask me how I learned this...
Anyone having a problem with the campwhere iPad app since prematurely downloading the update.

I can still see the campgrounds, but when tapping to access information it then closes the app. I deleted my app and reloaded it, no improvement. Can still access the public campground website through safari.

Computer genius son says it is likely due to the new download. Don't know how to resolve, paid for the app. !!!

Maggie
Old 09-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #214
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Anyone having a problem with the campwhere iPad app since prematurely downloading the update.

I can still see the campgrounds, but when tapping to access information it then closes the app. I deleted my app and reloaded it, no improvement. Can still access the public campground website through safari.

Computer genius son says it is likely due to the new download. Don't know how to resolve, paid for the app. !!!

Maggie
I tried rolling mine back to IOS 5.1.1, you can't do it. I'm very tempted to return mine to where I got it (it's less than a year old, and still under warranty, as well as the extended warranty I bought when I got it), and make them give me one that hasn't been updated.
The best I can suggest is contact the people that wrote the app, at least then they will know there is a problem.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #215
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
I tried rolling mine back to IOS 5.1.1, you can't do it. I'm very tempted to return mine to where I got it (it's less than a year old, and still under warranty, as well as the extended warranty I bought when I got it), and make them give me one that hasn't been updated.
The best I can suggest is contact the people that wrote the app, at least then they will know there is a problem.
Hmmm, but you want the updates, don't you?

There is no email address for this app, or tech support, etc. I'll have to try to google them and see what I can find.

Maggie
Old 09-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #216
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Hmmm, but you want the updates, don't you?

Maggie
I think I'd rather have a functioning iPad, than an updated one that doesn't work.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #217
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
I think I'd rather have a functioning iPad, than an updated one that doesn't work.
Of course.

The only thing we are having problems with is the campwhere app. I found contact information online and have sent an email.

Might take it into your apple store and see what they can do for you.

Maggie
Old 09-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #218
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Of course.

The only thing we are having problems with is the campwhere app. I found contact information online and have sent an email.

Might take it into your apple store and see what they can do for you.

Maggie
I did. I tried restoring it, and got an error message. I took it back just now, and was given a new iPad3. "sorry you had a problem, sir". I'm loading all my apps and books into it, and if anybody thinks I'm going to let it update...
The tech guy did tell me they had a rash of problems like this since the update came out. He wasn't happy, and had the stack of dead iPads behind the counter to prove it.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #219
2 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1974 25' Tradewind
1973 31' Sovereign
Charlottesville , Virginia
In keeping with my bare bones AS all I have is a map. No updates required but you do have to open it, which is my downfall, I always open it AFTER I am lost. Annual would be great, count me in! As you know my TW is being worked on (daily now that I have been inspired by Terry!) and I hope to post some pictures someday. So far I have 110, new bulbs for all exterior and interior lights with new lights on order since a few did not work, a new converter on order (yanked out that Univolt yesterday) so 12V next week. Exciting stuff!
ASIcons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #220
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
I did. I tried restoring it, and got an error message. I took it back just now, and was given a new iPad3. "sorry you had a problem, sir". I'm loading all my apps and books into it, and if anybody thinks I'm going to let it update...
The tech guy did tell me they had a rash of problems like this since the update came out. He wasn't happy, and had the stack of dead iPads behind the counter to prove it.
Yikes! Too bad!

Glad you took it back, though, and they replaced it,

We don't seem to be having the same, pervasive problems. Fingers crossed,

Maggie