Old 09-10-2012, 03:43 AM   #141
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Sure looks nice, and the weather forecast also looks good.

How in the world did anyone find that much flat land in the mountains to build a campground on !!!

I can bring along some firewood if need be. Just say the word.
I think that it is just one of nature's quirks. I know of one location in West Virginia close to the ski resort, Snowshoe, that has a large flat spot of land at about a 4,000 ft. elevation.

We can also bring some fire wood. We carry some in the TW normally anyways, but can bring more in the back of the truck if needed. I also have a small gas grill that we usually carry with us. I know the "clubhouse" also has a full kitchen so boiling water should not be a problem.

Dan

Old 09-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #142
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Am loving the cool turn the weather has taken.

Firewood is good, more is better. We will pick up a couple of bundles somewhere.

Are in Maryland, looking for fresh crab.

See y'all soon,

Maggie

Old 09-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #143
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Thanks for sharing those pics of the campground, looks great and we are so looking forward to this!

We can also bring plenty of firewood, but I didn't know if we would be allowed to bring it from another state, does anyone know? We have woods here, so bringing firewood is not a problem for us, and no need for others to have to purchase it.............if we are allowed to bring ours?

Deb
Old 09-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #144
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
AirHeadsRus, I forgot to say thank you for the information on the fire rings.

Also, am I correct, I think I heard in the past that there are no showers and we'll be using the one we're bringing? (I looked, but didn't find any mention in the amenities section about showers.)

Thanks again.

Deb
Old 09-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #145
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post

We can also bring plenty of firewood, but I didn't know if we would be allowed to bring it from another state, does anyone know? We have woods here, so bringing firewood is not a problem for us, and no need for others to have to purchase it.............if we are allowed to bring ours?

Deb
I am not sure about Virginia, but transporting firewood in North Carolina is a no-no. If in doubt, call the park. I'm sure they will tell you if it is not allowed.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #146
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser
AirHeadsRus, I forgot to say thank you for the information on the fire rings.

Also, am I correct, I think I heard in the past that there are no showers and we'll be using the one we're bringing? (I looked, but didn't find any mention in the amenities section about showers.)

Thanks again.

Deb
Yes Deb you are correct there are no facilities. The club house has restrooms but it is not open at night and sometimes during the day.

Regards,
Joe
Old 09-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #147
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I am not sure about Virginia, but transporting firewood in North Carolina is a no-no. If in doubt, call the park. I'm sure they will tell you if it is not allowed.
I am not sure either and have left the park and will not be back until Friday. The should be able to tell you if you call. A big storm knocked down a lot of trees this summer so their may be some wood on the property.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #148
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1974 Argosy 26
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
Hello All,
Made a pot of chili to bring, will also bring some assorted breads. Have some firewood in the back of the truck already. Might try to put together a cold salad or two. Can't wait to meet/see everyone. If I can get off early thursday might try and drive up then.
Steve & Di
Old 09-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #149
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I'll be arriving on the 13th in the Afternoon.

I have an expired inspection ticket on my RV - curses. I won't get six blocks without getting caught, so my plan is to pull off my camp spot on the 13th at about 4am and go plop myself at the one place I know in Va. Beach that will inspect an RV (Art Walker - Dean Drive - just in case you need a sticker too Re-Pete). I should be able to get first in line - 7:30 and be off quickly. It's about six hours from there to the campground so hopefully I'll arrive in mid-afternoon on Thursday.

--------------------------------

I am bringing 2 dutch ovens, two Nu-Wave cooktops, and a "volcano cooker." Meatloaf "aka Possum Loaf" and salad for the potluck. Others are making apple pie, veggies, potatoes and drinks. Someone might want to bring lemonade, iced tea, soft drinks & ice, etc.

No one mentioned s'mores - I prefer just roasted marshmallows, but if you want them bring them.

I'd suggest buying or gathering fire wood locally as moving various wood boring pests into a neighborhood is a potential risk.

I'm really looking forward to seeing all of you and just decompressing from the city. I've been humming "on the road again" all week!

Paula
Old 09-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #150
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Over the last few months, have been observing what I consider a disturbing trend regarding Fantastic Vents. Almost every one I've seen that is more than 5 years old has had serious cracks in the base of the vent, which could and probably does allow rain water to leak into our trailers. After I found two more on a 2010 (!) Airstream, I thought it might be more worth my time to bring my telescoping ladder along, and take a look at everyone's Fantastic Vents to make sure they aren't in the process of failing.
What does everybody think? It would be better for our trailers if we catch leak points, but making sure they are clean is important, too.
Here's a photo of the 2010 Flying Cloud I found with a broken base:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0003.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	167931  
Old 09-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #151
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Ummmmm, Terry?

Could we have a mini how-to seminar on disassembling and cleaning Fantastic Fans? Is that possible?

If not, any tips from attendees would be appreciated.

Maggie
We (Pat and Pete) are coming to the rally and I just learned tonight that Pete has not even posted to this thread. Pete just cleaned our fantastic fans last week and would be happy to give his hints, lessons learned.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #152
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
I'll bring kiln dried wood scraps from my shop to get things going.. No bugs, and it works great underneath the larger local wood.

Is the pot luck Friday, Saturday, or both?
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #153
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
When I asked the question about firewood, I more or less knew the answer. We won't be bringing any firewood.

We're bringing two DO's, we'll be using one, and will bring charcoal.

Deb
Old 09-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #154
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Well, since my suggestion seems to be going over like a crap-flavored snow cone, I'll shelve it, and show how to clean the fans, instead. I'll still bring my ladder, if anybody wants to check for cracks. Other than that, I'm gathering up parts (got a couple of surprises from the parts department), and if anybody wants anything, the cutoff is Thursday at 5.