Old 07-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Two Weeks from Everywhere Rally

Not quite, but we seem to be seven or eight hours from any rally! Ack! That just won't do, guess we'll have to move or go full-time. That is unless I've missed something closer to N Louisiana.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Timing is everything, I guess. A little over a year ago, the Vintage Airstream Club rally was at Glen Rose, TX... a mere 5.5 hours from Ruston. Earlier this year, we had the Region 9 WBCCI Rally in Mineola TX... practically in your back yard at 3 hours away.

You might also do what a wonderful couple, Mr. and Mrs. S did. Mr. S works overseas and had missed a couple of rallies and decided they'd just host their own. It was one of the most pleasant I've had the pleasure to attend, and I've enjoyed every rally I've been to!

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Why don't you throw a rally yourself? Just start a thread, and post it on the calender, and whollaa you have a rally! Everyone can make their own arrangements with the campground.

There are probably more Streamers close to you that would appreciate it too.

I do yoga to relieve stress, just kidding I drink wine in yoga pants
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
I thought about that in the shower right after I wrote that post. Throw my own "Two Weeks from Everywhere" rally. Of course I'd have to come up with a better catchy name for it. I'll talk to the wife and see what she thinks and where/when she might suggest if she'd go with it? Anyone interested in a N Louisiana area rally? A four hour drive would be roughly Little Rock/Conway to Lafayette/Baton Rouge to Meridian, MS to Lindale/Mineola or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1261285364.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	699.5 KB
ID:	164276  
Old 07-31-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
You are about 6 hours from me. I could handle that for a long weekend. Throw it and they will come. What park is the picture you posted?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriffrus
I thought about that in the shower right after I wrote that post. Throw my own "Two Weeks from Everywhere" rally. Of course I'd have to come up with a better catchy name for it. I'll talk to the wife and see what she thinks and where/when she might suggest if she'd go with it? Anyone interested in a N Louisiana area rally? A four hour drive would be roughly Little Rock/Conway to Lafayette/Baton Rouge to Meridian, MS to Lindale/Mineola or so.
We are in Louisiana at least twice a year, would love to come to a rally!

There are some beautiful state parks down there, which might be a perfect setting.

Maggie
Old 07-31-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
That pic is Lake Bisteneau State park, about twenty minutes south of I-20 outside Minden, LA. I thought I had deleted it out of my post, oops. We were there last weekend, some of the sites have decks built and there are many on the water. I'd never camped there before, it just happened to be available with cabins and campsites for a family reunion/get together.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Looks like a nice place to have an Airstream get together.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #9

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I'm with you, we seen to be a full day's pull from everything. Pick a date and sling one together, ya' never know who may show up.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The Ruston area is an easy drive for me compared to some places I've already been. In fact, I drove right past Ruston on my way to Lake Dardanelle in Russellville, Arkansas earlier this year. My parents in Oklahoma are a 13-hour drive from where I live in the New Orleans area, and I routinely do it all in one day. Lesser drives don't faze me.

As long as I'm still working for a living I schedule my camping trips around the Federal holidays; I can take less time off work and still get in a decent camping trip. I've already got plans for Labor Day (Whitten Park in Fulton, MS, a CoE park) and Columbus Day (Altus, OK to visit my parents), but I have no plans yet for Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving, or Christmas, except to know that I'll be camping for every one of them, somewhere. Now that I have my Airstream Interstate, the days of staycations are over for me. Plenty of places in Louisiana, Texas, and Mississippi that are open year-round for camping.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, we are scheduled to be in southern Mississippi the third weekend of October for a family reunion, and will be traveling south from Virginia beginning the 8th.

We could be anywhere in Louisiana that second weekend in October.

Maggie
Old 07-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
October is the earliest I would think about doing one. Any earlier than that and not only might it be hot, but sticky! Last weekend you sweated rolling up your extension cords it was so humid. Columbus Day or Veterans day would be something that might allow people an extra day for travel, also.

My wife thinks I'm crazy, I just might be. I do think it would be great fun, though. I'm trying to talk her into signing up with the forums so she can more easily put her input in - I'm currently out of town working. Shows you what kind of ideas you come up with sitting bored in a hotel room!

Meanwhile I'll think a little more about dates and venues and maybe menus (potluck? Boil crawfish in the spring?) activities and such......

And maybe I'll get back to work
Old 07-31-2012, 04:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriffrus
October is the earliest I would think about doing one. Any earlier than that and not only might it be hot, but sticky! Last weekend you sweated rolling up your extension cords it was so humid. Columbus Day or Veterans day would be something that might allow people an extra day for travel, also.

My wife thinks I'm crazy, I just might be. I do think it would be great fun, though. I'm trying to talk her into signing up with the forums so she can more easily put her input in - I'm currently out of town working. Shows you what kind of ideas you come up with sitting bored in a hotel room!

Meanwhile I'll think a little more about dates and venues and maybe menus (potluck? Boil crawfish in the spring?) activities and such......

And maybe I'll get back to work
Tell your wife that all you really need to do is decide where and when. People will come and can do their own cooking.

The rest will fall together if that's all there is----you just sit around and talk, share stories, show your rigs to whoever wants to see them, drink a little, etc., etc.

You don't have to put on an event, schedule entertainment or any of that stuff, unless it is available and you want to.

Keep us posted.

Maggie
Old 07-31-2012, 08:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
The informal gatherings have been some of our favorite ones to attend. We would possibly be interested, depending on location and date.