Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #101
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
Lafayette , Louisiana
Whats better than seafood and bbq ? We can pickup some fresh seafood, and bring cooking equip. if needed. Should be a good weekend for rice dressing in the dutch oven if anyone else likes that.
srmontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #102

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
Besides eating, we're drinking too? Right?

Jane
Janie Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #103
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
And don't forget the all important "be merry"!
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #104
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie Q View Post
Besides eating, we're drinking too? Right?

Jane
Only in moderation and socially as the responsible adults that we are.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Eating and drinking (responsibly, of course) go so well together.

Maggie
Old 10-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #106
George & Kathy

2007 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
St. Martinville , Louisiana
This will be our 2nd rally to attend. We reserved a site today. Looking forward to meeting new Airstreamers. What's left to cook or bring?
George and Kathy
From Shreveport
Silver Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
George and Kathy, welcome. Activity planning is pretty loose. We are going to be having a little shrimp cookout Friday night. I am bringing some shrimp and others have said that they will bring contributions. I would imagine we will have a happy hour or two and maybe another small potluck on Saturday (?). I am sure that anything you show up with would be appreciated by all.

Don't forget the sign up page: http://www.airforums.com/forums/cale...-12;&e=987&c=1

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 10-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #108

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
Welcome George and Kathy!

Hopefully we'll post our food items this week so everyone will have an idea what needs to be filled in. It looks like we're eating together Fri and Sat for dinner/supper!
And it appears we're excited to meet each other - which is already a sign of a fun rally
For others that are lurking on this thread - we still have room at the campground for ya'll!
Jane
Awchief - Rich was looking for you at his open house this last weekend. I told him I thought you were camping somewhere.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Janie, Sorry I missed the Grand Opening. I spent last weekend up at Paul B. Johnson State Park in the rain. Comfy and dry in my tin tent. Heading back up there this weekend. Weather should be mid 80s and dry.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Getting close. We are almost at the the top of the upcoming rally list. Going up to the state park after work today and will be back home on Monday. Repacking up and leaving for LA on Thursday. Going to a busy upcoming week for me. I estimate it should take me about 6 hours for the drive up. I plan on leaving here as early as I can drag myself out of bed on Thursday and should be in there early in the afternoon.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #111
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Almost there!!!!!

Yes! It's almost rally time! Looking forward to seeing all you guys.

First, a little housekeeping.

I got a call this week from some friends we made in Birmingham. We met them at the park a few months ago and they're planning on being here. We also have George and Kathy who committed this week, but haven't confirmed on the page. HiHoAgRV had to cancel, also. Hope everything works out with the eye surgery, keep us updated and get well soon!

So by my count that will leave us with eight Airstreamers with yes and one maybe. Not bad for a very loosely put together last minute rally. Hopefully after this first one gets out of the way I'll know more about what needs to happen in the future!

I'm planning right now on being at the park Thursday after work. If that doesn't happen, I'll be there before lunch Friday morning. I talked to the park and as of right now the only way to reserve spots for everyone is if someone rents all the spots and then we fill in as we come in. Maybe it won't be an issue, because it's turned cold here this weekend. Hopefully it'll stay, but anyway be prepared to have heat and blankets because it's getting chilly (55 right now here as I type this).

Food:

There is shrimp and boil planned for Friday. I'll also ask my darling wife (she's looking over my shoulder right now) to cook up some chicken and sausage gumbo to go with. Any other suggestions?

Saturday I'll cook either a brisket or pork shoulders on my smoker and there's some plans for BBQ style side dishes. I'm going to the nearest Sams Club this afternoon and I'll look and see what's available there over the local groceries here. Anyone have a preference one way or the other? I've also got a rack to put in that I'll have some chicken quarters go on for those who prefer that.

Happy Hour:

All I can say about that is I found out "officially alcohol is not allowed" - BUT - I haven't seen it enforced, and that includes me sitting out on my picnic table with a good bottle of brew. The under the table response is keep it clean and don't get too loud/stupid/drunk/obnoxious. I'm pretty sure if we're smart about it no one will make a scene, maybe we should put everything in Dixie Cups for safety sake.

Speaking of Dixie Cups, I'll buy a pack at Sams. Does everyone use their own utensils and dishes for the potlucks or should I get some of that, too?

That's about all I got right now.....
Old 10-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Folks generally bring their own table service to rally potlucks, which prevents an undue burden on the organizers.

I am going to make a bread of some sort in the DO for Friday night, probably something else as well.

Tentatively planing on scalloped corn for Saturday night, probably something else as well.

We are in Williamsburg with adult kids this weekend, can't get my brain focused far enough ahead to plan too much for the rally just yet............but, I'll be cookin' and it'll be good!

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Maggie
Old 10-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #113
George & Kathy

2007 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
St. Martinville , Louisiana
We will be there after my work on Friday with shrimp dip. Is anyone making baked beans for Saturday?
Silver Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #114

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
I am bringing beans for sat unless you want to and I'll bring something else.

Maggie, do you know how to start a sign up sheet?
Can someone/anyone? I know Maggie is out of town
Old 10-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #115
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McLeod , Texas
Wish I could help with a signup sheet, but am clueless. Wanted to let everyone know our plans. I intend to pull our humble abode on wheels into the park Thursday afternoon. Patti will follow on Friday after work. She will bring with her a cake and deviled eggs for Friday, and potato salad or slaw for Saturday. Let us know if we need to change what we are bringing. We are really excited about our first rally, and looking forward to meeting everyone. Wishing everyone a pleasant trip.

Tom & Patti
Wooden Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lets do this: I'll start, each person quote this response and add what they are bringing.

Voila!!! A signup sheet!

FRIDAY NIGHT:

doug&maggie: Cook AWChief's boiled shrimp, ketchup/horseradish cocktail sauce, buttered biscuits in Dutch oven

SATURDAY NIGHT:

doug&maggie: scalloped corn in DO, dessert or salad depending on my mood and the weather.

Maggie
Old 10-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriffrus View Post
Yes! It's almost rally time! Looking forward to seeing all you guys... HiHoAgRV had to cancel, also. Hope everything works out with the eye surgery, keep us updated and get well soon!.....
You guys are making me hungry with all the talk of food...but trust me, with one eye 1/2 full of bubble, 1/2 full of sloshing fluid there is no way that anyone would want me trying to park near them. 'Eye' better stay here at home!!!!

Y'all post lots of photos!!!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #118

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
You guys are making me hungry with all the talk of food...but trust me, with one eye 1/2 full of bubble, 1/2 full of sloshing fluid there is no way that anyone would want me trying to park near them. 'Eye' better stay here at home!!!!

Y'all post lots of photos!!!
I hope your eye surgery is successfull.
Our old golden had his hip put back into his socket Thursday - so we will be
tending to him while at the campground. If you change your mind about joining us, I'll tend to you eye, also!
I've been told I'm a good nurse!
Jane
Old 10-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #119

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Lets do this: I'll start, each person quote this response and add what they are bringing.

Voila!!! A signup sheet!

FRIDAY NIGHT:

doug&maggie: Cook AWChief's boiled shrimp, ketchup/horseradish cocktail sauce, buttered biscuits in Dutch oven

Jane and Keith: 5# bbq shrimp and french bread for dipping

SATURDAY NIGHT:

doug&maggie: scalloped corn in DO, dessert or salad depending on my mood and the weather.

Jane and Keith: Baked beans, and some great deer sausage for the bbq grill.

Maggie
Thank you Maggie for helping me out! Jane
Old 10-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #120
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Not sure how to quote within the quote, so I had to get old school cut and paste

Originally Posted by doug&maggie

Voila!!! A signup sheet!

FRIDAY NIGHT:

Jane and Keith: 5# bbq shrimp and french bread for dipping

Matt and Stephanie: Pot of Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

SATURDAY NIGHT:

Jane and Keith: Baked beans, and some great deer sausage for the bbq grill.

Matt and Stephanie: Two pork butts (made a new batch of rub tonight!)