Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We're still coming and looking forward to it.

Just haven't had anything to add at this point.

Maggie
Old 09-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McLeod , Texas
All I can ad is we're really looking forward to meeting everyone at our first rally.Also hope to pick up advice on bringing this '56 Whaletail back to life.Should be able to start in earnest on it by rally time, if something else doesn't come up.Will try to bring a few pictures.

Tom & Patti
Wooden Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:10 AM   #83

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
Ok. Are we planning any group activities? Meals together? Happy hours?
I hear/read shrimp is on the agenda! I can also bring some fresh boiled shrimp from my kitchen.
How many Airstreamers are coming?
This is our first rally and this thread seems so quiet.
See y'all soon!
Jane
Janie Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I posted this in response to Maggie on another thead: Subject shrimp for our rally.

Sounds good to me. 5 pounds of boiling sized shrimps it will be. I will bring a larger pot if we need it. I know this is a very loose get together and no real plans have been made. I am not normally big on potlucks, but a little shared grub would be good. Maybe others can bring some simple dishes and we can have a small potluck. I will arriving on Thursday and leaving on Monday so any evening is good with me, but we need to do the shrimp as soon as possible. I would hate for them to go bad before we can consume them.
This weather is finally turning for the better and we should be seeing cooler days and evenings. It will be nice to be able to open up the trailer and let the fresh air in without the noisy AC running.
I just bought a new fire pot so nightly camp fires are in order. It seems that down in my neck of the woods there is always a fire ban in effect and without a fire pot no open fires have been allowed so I finally broke down and bought one.
Also nightly Happy Hours are observed at Mike's Bambi II promptly at 5 o'clock ("It's always 5 o'clock somewhere") and everyone is welcome, BYOB of course.
If anyone else has any ideas for things to do please chime in. I am going to be bringing my kayak for a little relaxation on the water if the weather cooperates.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
It looks like we have 7 confirmed and 1 maybe according to the rally sign up page.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 09-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This is the first rally for the organizers of this one, too.

Might we suggest a potluck on Saturday evening? They're always fun and a good way to get everyone together, IMO. Also, traditional and present at every rally we have ever attended.

We will be in on Thursday, as well. I think our pot is big enough for 5 pounds of shrimp. I have shrimp boil and will also get a couple of fresh lemons, which my Confederate cousins say is integral to good boiled shrimp.

Could perhaps do a happy hour gathering Friday night, cook the shrimp and whatever else anyone might want to bring. Shrimp will keep til Friday? They're best fresh, but could always cook them and hold them cold a day if we needed to.

Whatcha think?

Maggie
Old 09-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sounds good to me, I will pick up the shrimp the night before I leave and ice them down. They should keep at least a couple of days.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Just an afterthought-----there are pot lucks where everyone brings their own meat (or not) and then a side to share.

Can make it easier for carnivores and vegetarians.

Doesn't much matter to us.

Maggie
Old 09-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
View of the the park from a few miles up. The park recently changed their website and the map is not on the new one. Hopefully we can all get parked in the same area. On the water with lots of shade, of course.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We may actually want that sun!

It's starting to cool off down here. Lovely time of year to be out and about.

Maggie
Old 09-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sun is good, but close to 100 degrees and max humidity has been a killer this summer on the coast. The AC has been making water faster than my RO pump on my boat did and flooding over the cup into the trailer, freezing up and the trailer quickly becomes a convection oven. Takes all the fun out of even being out and about.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
... Hopefully we can all get parked in the same area. .
I'm just hoping the save me a spot that's long enough!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
It looks like they have several pull-thrus. Would those be better for the longer trailers? Looks like a compact little park. Where ever we all end up we will still be close together.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #94
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Hey guys! Sorry I've been out of pocket for a while.....long story. Starts with middle and Jr. High school kids this school year and ends with possibly selling our house. If anyone gets REAL bored I can tell you all about it.

I thought about the pull-thrus and if spot 24 is available along with the ones around it that would be a good area for us to try and be for the views, but there are several pull throughs we may can try and gather around. I've got Friday off, so depending on where I'm working Thursday I might can be there Thursday night, but definitely Friday morning. They might even let us reserve a block of sites since we're a group, I'll try and work that from this end here.

Shrimp sounds good for Friday night, let me know what I need to do or get here in town. I don't have a kitchen in my trailer - yet - but I've also got a burner/pot/basket here at the house and if we need to get something bigger (we can boil up to 35 pounds of crawfish at once) we've got that at the lake just up the road. Crawfish! That may be something for a spring rally....

I've thought about smoking a brisket or some pork butts on Saturday. I might even have space to throw some chicken leg quarters on as well. Those will go well sliced up on plates or chopped up as sandwiches for the potluck and I'll be glad to do it. It should be plenty of meat if that's a direction we want to go and we can do some easy standard BBQ sides.

I haven't thought much about activities/games/party favors. I did look around on some other rally threads and saw what was going on there. My apologies for being the extreme rookie here both in planning and in rally attendance. We've got to start somewhere.

Thank you guys for coming and I can't wait to meet everyone!

Matt
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
No need to get into a lot of activity planning for this one. Time is kind of short. I say we just wing it and just have a relaxing weekend. For the next rally if need be we can plan more to do. I am bringing 5 lbs of shrimp and if anyone else would like to bring some more or something else to go with them would be good.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #96

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
Jane and Keith

Friday
BBQ Shrimp and New Orleans French bread to dip in butter sauce

Sat. Cajun deer sausage to grill
Baked beans

This is our first rally and I can't wait!

XO
Me
Janie Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I agree with just keeping things loosely structured. Time is short, no need to stress anyone out.

We are small, will take a small site and save the biggies for others.....

I don't think any of us has met any of the others, so visiting and getting to know each other (along with the usual eating and imbibing a bit) will easily fill the weekend, IMO. It will all fall together, it always does.

Haven't decided quite what to cook (other than Mike's shrimp), will decide that as we get a little closer and know what temps are going to be. Have the DO with me, and my favorite big skillet that prepares most of our meals and potluck dishes. . I am so in love with this skillet---is it wrong to be in love with an inanimate object?

See ya soon, looking forward to it!

Maggie
Old 09-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #98
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Usually I can lose a pound or two on camping trips. Got a feeling this one might be a bit different. Food, food, food. Bringing the kayak, so might have to spend some extra time on the water to burn it all off. In addition to the shrimp and a steak to throw on the grill I will bring the ingredients for my famous in my own mind taco dip to share at the pot luck (no cooking required).
Matt, If the park could reserve a section for us that would be good. The section you pointed out on the map looks like it would work for us all.
The weather sure is getting comfortable, actually had to pull a blanket up last night. Been a while since I have had to do that.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Crap. It looks like we have to cancel...
Long story short, the Eyeball Retnal Doc I saw today says I'm going to have eye surgery next week followed by a week of laying on my face.

He didn't even ask if that was bad timing for my schedule...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Wow, tough break, sorry you are not going to be able to make it. I was looking forward to meeting you guys. Are you going to be going down to Canopener in January?
I am having surgery in my shoulder the day after I get back from Ruston. They wanted to do it the week before and I said no way. This will be the second time in 3 months and I am getting sort of tired of dealing with it. Hope they get it all this time and I can move on.