Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
 
mgriffrus's Avatar
 
1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 310
Two Weeks From Everywhere Fall Rally 2013 Homer, Louisiana

Okay.....has there ever been a forum caravan? I know there are WBCCI Caravans, we bumped into one last spring in Baton Rouge, but I haven't dug enough around on the forums to find a forum caravan.

I got a little sidetracked.....

Here's my proposal.

I propose the "Two Weeks from Everywhere" Rally be turned into the slowest caravan ever. There are many great little campgrounds and state parks around the middle of nowhere that are worth a visit, and I think we should visit them. I realize that it won't technically be a caravan with six months or so between camping weekends, but it's a gimmick and I'm not above using gimmicks.

So, without further ado, we (Boris the Boxer and I) have narrowed down the choices for the first leg of the "Slowest Caravan Ever" to Lake Claiborne State Park the weekend of September 20-22 2013. Lake Claiborne State Park is about thirty minutes from Ruston and about ten minutes from Homer, LA in North Louisiana.

Other Candidates for this weekend were:
Lake Bistineau State Park
Jimmie Davis State Park
Lake D'Arbonne State Park

What I need from you guys who plan on attending is to know whether or not you want to have premium sites for $26/night instead of regular sites for $20/night. I really don't think there's any difference in the sites amenities, (no sewage) but the premium sites will be better access to the lake and are generally better for congregation and potlucks and such.

Matt
__________________

__________________
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
 
StreamNTyme's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 489
Images: 27
We just passed through Ruston on 20 last week returning from Texas to home to SC. There is a County campground on 33 that we love. We have been there many times traveling back and forth. Very nice and on a lake. $25. w sewer. Lincoln Parish Park. Check it out.
__________________

__________________
StreamNTyme
StreamNTyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
mgriffrus's Avatar
 
1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
We just passed through Ruston on 20 last week returning from Texas to home to SC. There is a County campground on 33 that we love. We have been there many times traveling back and forth. Very nice and on a lake. $25. w sewer. Lincoln Parish Park. Check it out.
That's actually about five miles from my house and is our go to "getaway weekend". Absolutely love it, it's a hidden gem and we've had the last two rallies there. Shoot me a message next time you're coming through, surely we can come up with a good excuse to come out and at least meet.
__________________
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
 
StreamNTyme's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 489
Images: 27
Oh too bad we did not know ahead of time. We unfortunately only get to see our daughter and family in Texas a couple times a year. Will definitely keep you in mind for the future. Of course, if you want to enjoy the east coast we are conveniently located between Savannah and Charleston, near Hilton Head and Beaufort.
We are on a river and have courtesy parking w w/e.
__________________
StreamNTyme
StreamNTyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriffrus View Post
Okay.....has there ever been a forum caravan? I know there are WBCCI Caravans, we bumped into one last spring in Baton Rouge, but I haven't dug enough around on the forums to find a forum caravan.

I got a little sidetracked.....

Here's my proposal.

I propose the "Two Weeks from Everywhere" Rally be turned into the slowest caravan ever. There are many great little campgrounds and state parks around the middle of nowhere that are worth a visit, and I think we should visit them. I realize that it won't technically be a caravan with six months or so between camping weekends, but it's a gimmick and I'm not above using gimmicks.

So, without further ado, we (Boris the Boxer and I) have narrowed down the choices for the first leg of the "Slowest Caravan Ever" to Lake Claiborne State Park the weekend of September 20-22 2013. Lake Claiborne State Park is about thirty minutes from Ruston and about ten minutes from Homer, LA in North Louisiana.

Other Candidates for this weekend were:
Lake Bistineau State Park
Jimmie Davis State Park
Lake D'Arbonne State Park

What I need from you guys who plan on attending is to know whether or not you want to have premium sites for $26/night instead of regular sites for $20/night. I really don't think there's any difference in the sites amenities, (no sewage) but the premium sites will be better access to the lake and are generally better for congregation and potlucks and such.

Matt
I'm up for any of the parks; they're all on my "to do" list. And I have no problem with the premium sites, either. Even better, I haven't scheduled a September trip yet. I previously did the entire Labor Day week, but I can do just a long weekend for Labor Day instead, and save the rest of my days off for Two Weeks from Anywhere.

Reminder, Louisiana state parks accept the National Park Service senior pass and access pass, at least for Louisiana residents. So, if you have one of the passes, mention it when you make reservations and you should be able to get half price.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

"In a perfect world, I'd be given enough time to wrap up one emergency before the next one starts." —Freefall©2013
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
doug&maggie's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,497
Sounds like a great idea, Matt!

We plan to be in the NE this fall, so will not be able to make this, but will catch you another time.


Maggie
__________________
The more you know, the less you need
doug&maggie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Reminder, Louisiana state parks accept the National Park Service senior pass and access pass, at least for Louisiana residents. So, if you have one of the passes, mention it when you make reservations and you should be able to get half price.
Revised info… you'll only get the discount when you show up in person to check in, not when you make your reservation.

If it's definite that we'll be be in loop ARA1 where the premium sites are, I'll go ahead and make my reservation. So far, almost every site on the loop is still available for that weekend.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

"In a perfect world, I'd be given enough time to wrap up one emergency before the next one starts." —Freefall©2013
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master
 
Janie Q's Avatar
 
1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 867
I'm sure you remember we have daughter's wedding in Oregon so we won't be at this rally
Remember to bring your white boots, you NEVER know what may explode! Pretty much like Old Faithful, now that I think about it.
XO
__________________
Janie Q is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
 
mgriffrus's Avatar
 
1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 310
Hey! Street View!

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah.......wedding for you guys JanieQ and aren't Rich and Kate expecting a grandbaby this fall? Hate you guys will miss it, but at the rate this caravan is traveling we can catch up to you in Oregon in about fifteen years or so.

Protagonist, did you make any reservations yet? I'll go ahead and make mine at site 18 if you haven't, and there are plenty of pull-throughs for you guys with the super long airstreams on that loop, too. - jealous -

Also, there's street view of that loop on Google Maps, pretty cool. I was thinking about going out there and scoping out the sites, but Google beat me to it.
__________________
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriffrus View Post
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah.......wedding for you guys JanieQ and aren't Rich and Kate expecting a grandbaby this fall? Hate you guys will miss it, but at the rate this caravan is traveling we can catch up to you in Oregon in about fifteen years or so.

Protagonist, did you make any reservations yet? I'll go ahead and make mine at site 18 if you haven't, and there are plenty of pull-throughs for you guys with the super long airstreams on that loop, too. - jealous -

Also, there's street view of that loop on Google Maps, pretty cool. I was thinking about going out there and scoping out the sites, but Google beat me to it.
Site 22. Arriving that Friday afternoon, leaving Monday morning. It's a pull-through. My rig isn't super-long, but since it's going to be during prime-time hurricane season, I figured that I'd bring my toad along— now that I have a toad— and call it a practice evacuation. As long as it doesn't become a REAL evacuation (fingers crossed).
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

"In a perfect world, I'd be given enough time to wrap up one emergency before the next one starts." —Freefall©2013
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member
 
mgriffrus's Avatar
 
1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 310
Hopefully it won't be a real evacuation! I jut reserved site 18
__________________
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
Janie Q's Avatar
 
1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 867
Matt, then the party is at your place!
__________________
Janie Q is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member
 
mgriffrus's Avatar
 
1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
Oh too bad we did not know ahead of time. We unfortunately only get to see our daughter and family in Texas a couple times a year. Will definitely keep you in mind for the future. Of course, if you want to enjoy the east coast we are conveniently located between Savannah and Charleston, near Hilton Head and Beaufort.
We are on a river and have courtesy parking w w/e.
Savannah.

There's a town to spend some time in. We spent two nights at Ft Mcallister state park right after Christmas and spent an afternoon in Savannah, basically long enough to know we need to go back for a while. We left there and went south and made it out to Canopener, but next time I want to go north up the Atlantic coast and bum around the Carolinas for a while.

Oh to be retired and/or able to take off a few months and bounce around.
__________________
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member
 
mgriffrus's Avatar
 
1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 310
One Month Out!

ACK!

We have been so busy with work this summer, I just realized that we're only a month out from the Fall Rally (or the first leg of the "Slowest Caravan" )

I also realized that I don't have reservations for Labor Day weekend anywhere, either.

Well, anyway! Don't forget, the Two Weeks From Everywhere Fall rally is going on the road! There are so many parks around this area that no one knows about, we're going to try and start hitting them up. This fall it's Lake Claiborne State Park just outside of Homer, La.

It's still up in the air whether or not we'll be back at Lincoln Parish Park in the spring.

Talk it up with your buddies and make your reservations!
__________________

__________________
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Airstream Classifieds



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.

Airstream News Delivered to your Email!

Stay up-to-date with Airstream news in your inbox!

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]