Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2007, 07:44 AM   #101
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Rob, yes, and yes, and through the woods it is. You have mapped the trip perfect. We'll see you sometime around the middle of June. How does that sound.
Don & Claudia

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
Don,

It looks like stop 6 and 7 are at our place and Colin's - true? Great if so! Your map looks like it goes from our place to Oneonta on the Interstate to Albany and up the Northway? That is 260 miles. I can give you a route from our place through the woods (roads are good) where you will travel Route 12 north into the Adirondack Park and then over through Old Forge (a neat old town), up to Saranac Lake and over to Plattsburgh. It passes directly by the Adirondack museum too! It is only 240 miles, good roads, passing many of State Parks for overnighting too! Let me know - I recommend "Through the woods!"

Rob
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:01 AM   #102
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Don

You may want to give yourself a little more time at Bandelier - there is so much to do/see there. Also my mother in law lives right on Ute lake - great place but not a whole lot there other than lake - very nice campground though - Clovis is 1.5 hours from Ute lake - aren't any nice campgrounds there - but I do understand there is a new one there. Something else - if you go to Clovis, you will miss Cadiliac ranch.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:30 AM   #103
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Ken J, Thanks for the information. Your input is exactly what we are looking for with this Convoy. The main reason we will be posting our progress daily is so we can change the time and dates as we go along and keep everyone up to date. It's the people who live in an area that know what's cool and what's not. I believe I mentioned in an earlier post that I was a private pilot for may years. One of the things I enjoyed as a pilot traveling was that everything changes all the time. You make all these plans just to let them change. Some say its the journey, some the process, others say its the planning. I believe it the flow
Old 04-01-2007, 09:45 AM   #104

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
Travel “CONVOY” America
This is the final route for the first of the trip East. This represents about 1/3 of the EASTERN side to be covered.

Following is a list of the map numbers with their proposed time, date, and locations.
  • Ashland Missouri, arrive June 2 / depart June 3
  • Carlyle Lake, IL, arrive June 4 / depart June 7
  • Moraine View Rally, IL arrive June 7 or 8 / depart June 10
  • Jackson Center, OH, arrive June 10 / depart – not decided yet
  • The rest of the points on the map do not have location and date yet. These locations are posted based on Airstreamers who have voice and interest in meeting with us or suggested other arrangements. Further contact needs to made before the plans will be finalized.
NOTE: No plans exist between Clovis, NM to Ashland, MO. Open to ideas
We will be leaving St. Louis area on the 7th on our way to Moraine View. Since check in at the campground isn't till 3 pm., we might be able to join up with you on the way. Once you get more detail on the route let us know. Normally we head up I-55 and then cut over US 136 then a mile on I-74 to Le Roy Il. If you are going up I-55 there is a rest area just north of the I-70/I-55 split where we could meet up at.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
This sounds like it will work. I'll try and check out the route tonight and get back to you in a day or twol
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
We will be leaving St. Louis area on the 7th on our way to Moraine View. Since check in at the campground isn't till 3 pm., we might be able to join up with you on the way. Once you get more detail on the route let us know. Normally we head up I-55 and then cut over US 136 then a mile on I-74 to Le Roy Il. If you are going up I-55 there is a rest area just north of the I-70/I-55 split where we could meet up at.

Jack
Old 04-01-2007, 01:36 PM   #106
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
1959 26' Overlander
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Bastrop , Texas
Middle Route

HeyDon-Your trip is really shaping up. Do you have any tent. dates for your middle route through NM-TX-AK. (Is it AK, AR, AS? oh well....) We're firming up our own summer tour dates and would love to join you somewhere in the central part of your journey.

jill
WBCCI #8689
68 Globetrotter
emo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #107
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
"Trailer CONVOY" America

Greetings Don!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
This sounds like it will work. I'll try and check out the route tonight and get back to you in a day or twol
Don
Your route is taking you very close to my favorite part of Illinois -- just South of Carlyle. The hills of Southern Illinois can be quite beautiful in early June, and there are a number of attractions that may be of interest. I might suggest: Most of these attractions are approximately one hour from Carlyle -- Magnolia Manner and Metropolis would be closer to two hours away.

The above are the highlights of the places that I always try to take my out-of-town visitors. One of my favorite evenings is to stop at Giant City State Park Lodge an hour or two before sundown for an excellent filet mingnon dinner; and then shortly after dark drive South out of the park down to Cobden and then West from Cobden to Alto Pass via Skyline Drive -- there are several excellent views of Bald Know Cross of Peace as you travel along the drive -- the night lighting makes for a very vivid impression as it is miles from concentrated city lights.

Another place with interesting atmosphere for a steak dinner is Tom's Place in DeSoto, IL. According to local legend, (my late mother ascribed to the legend) had it that the establishment began as a "Speak Easy" during Prohibition. This was always one of our family's special two or three times a year nights out -- the food is excellent and the atmosphere is to say the very least, unique.

Enjoy your excursion -- it sounds like it is going to be a wonderful experience!

Kevin

P.S.: Our paths may cross as I am planning to tow my Minuet up to Moraine View on either June 6th or June 7th (depends in part as to how production of our school's yearbook progresses). I have reservations for the night of the 7th so that is my last possible travel date. I don't like to travel the Interstates when towing with my Vintage tow vehicle so I will be sticking with IL 37 North from Vienna, IL to Watson, IL where I'll pick up US 45 North, US 45 North takes me to Tuscola, IL where I'll switch over to US 36 West for a short distance to Cerro Gordo, IL where I'll turn North on IL 48 that takes me directly into the Leroy vicinity (I may have to alter my route slightly if I need to make a stop by my house in Decatur.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:12 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
As you can see we have an open are from NM to Missouri. We're open to ideas. Do you have a route you would like to cover. Send suggestions and lets see where it gos.
Thanks Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by emo59
HeyDon-Your trip is really shaping up. Do you have any tent. dates for your middle route through NM-TX-AK. (Is it AK, AR, AS? oh well....) We're firming up our own summer tour dates and would love to join you somewhere in the central part of your journey.

jill
Old 04-01-2007, 04:18 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
overlander64, Thanks for all the good ideas and places to visit. You get lods of Karma from Claudia and I. We did our high school year book for 10 years. It's a real study in human interactions. It would be great to hook up later. Let's keep in touch.
Don & Claudia
Old 04-01-2007, 04:22 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Don & Claudia,

I have a book suggestion to assist in your travel plans: Road Food by Jane and Michael Sterns. This book has more information for the eastern half of the country than for the western half. We have tried some of the places and have been very pleased.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:12 AM   #111
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Bill, thanks for the book idea. We will give it a look see. We are still looking for suggestions on the mid section.
Don & Claudia
Old 04-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #112
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Highland Haven Airstream Park

Hey Don,
ZoominC6 and I woul like to invite you to stop by and see us at our summer hangout. The Airstream Park is not far from Roanoke Virginia. Here is a link to the park.Highland Haven Airstream Park

Abe
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:35 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Convoy map

Don & Claudia,

I was on the DodgePowerWagon Forum and there was a link to this site: DodgeTrip.com Take a look at the route map, it is pretty cool.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:44 AM   #114
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Things change

"The only constant in the Universe is change." I don't remember who said this but it is certainly true. We have had a death of a close member of the family. We plan on taking a break after me take care of some of the things connected to these times. We do plan on attending the Casini Ranch Rally and the Bass Lake Rallies here in California. After these events we may return home for a while.

I would like to thank all the streamers who have given us support on our Travel “CONVOY” America. Airstreamers are the best. We may continue part of the journey at a later date.

Thanks Again Don & Claudia
NorCal Bambi and CaddyGrn
Old 04-14-2007, 03:57 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Don and Claudia, we are very sorry to hear of the loss of your loved one. I believe that the thoughts and prayers of your Airstream forum family will surround and support you during this sad time. Please stay in touch with us here. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:51 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Oh how awful. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You'll be in our hearts and prayers, and we'll still look forward to seeing you at the end of the month.

Take good care!

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:13 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
may God bless you in your time of sorrow. you have many friends here who will be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. this convoy sounded like it would be so much fun and i agree with the others who said "maybe next year!" blessings to you and yours, cheryl.
airstreamers is offline   Reply With Quote