Old 10-25-2006, 07:27 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
NorCal Rally Background

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
The NorCal group has decided to hold one of their 2 yearly rallies a bit further south, so as to be able to include us SoCal folks.
The first NorCal/ South Rally was at Pismo Beach last year.
This recent rally to Lake San Antonio was the second Norcal / South Rally.
This recent Rally had a very strong showing of SoCal people, as well as "true" NorCal attendees. And, some from the confused middle.
So, there's a friendly evolution and migration happening here, and I believe that none of the attendands really cared what it was called.
I do believe that the group should hold one of it's rallies close to the NorCal origin, so as to not displease their original crowd too much due to driving distance issues.
To further clarify and just to give some background,

Like uwe says, the NorCal group decided to dip south to pick up So Calers that wanted to attend the rally and make it a joint Nor/SoCal rally. So we settled on Pismo in October. Then in April, we went back up to the north at Russian River to be closer to many orginal ralliers from the north state. So thats how we settled on a October: central CA and April: northern CA. We decided at the first rally at Luguna Seca to make 2 permanent rallies a year: October and April. But more would be wonderful, of course but we would always have October and April at least.

I would encourage anybody to step up to organize other rallies or the official October and April rallies. The problem with group reservations is that parks want a hefty deposit then last payment on departure. This means someone has to front the money and hope everyone pays their share later. Also you are on the hook for no shows. This is stressful. I have done it a few times and not anymore. Now we just go to places where everyone makes their own reservations, like Casini Ranch, or it's a big place that can handle first come, first serve like Lake San Antonio.

Full hook-ups are highly desired. Even just water/electric will bum many people out. No hook-ups (state parks) has limited appeal. Also, group reservations means guessing the number that want to come. If you guess too small, then people can't come. If you guess too large, then the deposit is huge and you can's fill the spots. Stress.

But if anyone wants to put a deposit down on a group reservation, then count me in! If no one wants to, then it will be Casini in April with everyone making their own reservations. Good luck!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:28 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
uwe,

The Bodega Bay area is beautiful, but would be foggy in the fall/winter, w/moderate temps..there is that wrights beach time machine talked about..or the sonoma coast..Steve says there are some places near the Delta like Brannon Island..guess it depends how far folks want to drive, and the limits on lengths of a/s as well as the facilities..I used the showers at the Lake..very interesting..reminded me of jr. hi - showering en masse!..guess I've gotten spoiled w/KOA's showers..pretty steep prices though..we stay at Pt. Arena each year for the ab tides..almost $50/nite, but w/all the ameneties.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:33 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
doorgunner,

There's a rv place called Bodega Bay RV..we've stayed there before, but I don't think it has enough room for 30+ a/s..there is a blacktop rv parking place called Westside, w/out hook-ups..and there's Doran beach Regional Park, access to the beach, been there..that's nice.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:35 PM   #32
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
I can't get excited about hookin up Munimula unless I drag her at least 100 miles! I like the coast and the redwoods. Not to say I wouldn't attend anything closer. I'll go with the flow. and the good people! Tim

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:48 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
It was a 6+ hour run for us from the San Fernando valley, thats about our limit for a weekend. Chose the destination and we will attend what we can.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:02 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
A suggestion...

An easy one hour drive from Madera or Fresno, set at 5000' elevation, http://www.sce.com/communityandrecreation/camping/ at Shaver Lake in the southern Sierras.

Snow is likely,but the clean bathrooms are heated . Electricity, Cable , Wi-Fi (limited) but no sewer.

http://www.shaverlakechamber.com/

1964 17' Bambi II
2005 Dodge 2500 PowerWagon -5.7 Hemi
WBCCI #4207
AIR #11485

"you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" ~bob dylan
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:53 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Like uwe says, the NorCal group decided to dip south to pick up So Calers that wanted to attend the rally and make it a joint Nor/SoCal rally. So we settled on Pismo in October. Then in April, we went back up to the north at Russian River to be closer to many orginal ralliers from the north state. So thats how we settled on a October: central CA and April: northern CA. We decided at the first rally at Luguna Seca to make 2 permanent rallies a year: October and April. But more would be wonderful, of course but we would always have October and April at least.
How about 4 rallies per year? A Spring rally in NorthCentral CA, a Fall rally in South Central CA, a Winter rally in SoCal and Summer Rally in NorCal?

This would solve several problems. First it would allow attendance within reasonable driving distance by Northern and Southern residents at least once a year. The central rallies would allow a greater attendance by Airstreamer's throughout the state. The winter and summer rallies would also take advantage of the wide weather variations here in CA by providing mild weather in both the summer and winter rallies.

Sounds fair to everybody except the Central Californians who don't have to travel as far to get anywhere...period!
Old 10-25-2006, 10:57 PM   #36
Mr. Peeps, Pull-It Master

2007 25' International CCD
Pleasanton , California
If we're talking about a winter rally, it only makes sense to have it where the climate is pretty nice in the winter--generally, Central or farther South. We're certainly new to this group, but appreciate the fact there were attendees from all over the State. We should think of these rallies as a "California" rally, and get over considering them a "Nor-Cal" rally. How about a vote on the location and dates, and then go with the majority. Big Dee did a great job picking a date for the October rally that everyone was happy with by voting and going with the majority. We may want to use the same process in picking a location and date, since we have some great suggestions that have been recommended. Whenever/wherever, we'll try our best to be there.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:02 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear
doorgunner,

There's a rv place called Bodega Bay RV..we've stayed there before, but I don't think it has enough room for 30+ a/s..there is a blacktop rv parking place called Westside, w/out hook-ups..and there's Doran beach Regional Park, access to the beach, been there..that's nice.
We stayed at Westside this past spring! It's right on the west edge of Bodega Bay, and it has paved pull-through sites, but no hook-ups. One plus to this place is that you can reserve specific sites, and they are big enough to accomodate the bigger rigs (30 and 31'). Westside is operated by Sonoma County Parks, and it is just south of Bodega Dunes Campground, a unit of Sonoma Coast State Beach. There are lots of sandy beaches nearby, you can get a tour of the Bodega Marine Lab on Friday afternoons, and the views from Bodega Head are awesome! I can almost taste those BBQ'ed oysters!

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 10-25-2006, 11:18 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Hi Warbler,

Yes, we've stayed at Westside a long time ago w/the kids..we even brought our generator once, but it sure can get noisy there..I love to go up to the head to watch the grey whales and take pix of the waves as they come crashing into the rocks and shore..one can also hike down there to get mussels, or go back down the hill, there is a Campbell Cove, where horseneck and washington clams can be dug..
Old 10-25-2006, 11:28 PM   #39
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
California Rallies

Okay, that makes sense: April in Northern CA, October in Central as sort of "permanent" ongoing rallies. Now how about a winter rally and possibly a summer rally if there is enough interest (but we can talk about summer later).

It sounds like we need a place WITH hookups big enough for anyone who wants to show up. Or a place with hookups that will allow everyone to make their own reservations. I agree it seems too stressful for one person to plunk down a lot of money and then hope people can make it.

So how about if anyone who knows of a campground that would work, throw out the name and then we can have a vote/poll.

I'm all for keeping the politics out of camping. I just want to meet other Airstreamers and have some fun!
Old 10-25-2006, 11:29 PM   #40
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper
I'm all for keeping the politics out of camping. I just want to meet other Airstreamers and have some fun!
Right on!
Old 10-25-2006, 11:46 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
I agree with the no politics ,only way to go and more relaxed and more fun .
Agree with the full hookup thing ,but i can be flexible after all i do want to go
see everyone regardless of that ,but it would be a first choice to have .

Scott
Old 10-26-2006, 12:55 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dee
I would encourage anybody to step up to organize other rallies or the official October and April rallies. The problem with group reservations is that parks want a hefty deposit then last payment on departure. This means someone has to front the money and hope everyone pays their share later. Also you are on the hook for no shows. This is stressful. I have done it a few times and not anymore. Now we just go to places where everyone makes their own reservations, like Casini Ranch, or it's a big place that can handle first come, first serve like Lake San Antonio.

Full hook-ups are highly desired. Even just water/electric will bum many people out. No hook-ups (state parks) has limited appeal. Also, group reservations means guessing the number that want to come. If you guess too small, then people can't come. If you guess too large, then the deposit is huge and you can's fill the spots. Stress.
Hi Dan,

You have gone above and beyond with making those non-refundable deposits and all. I agree....especially considering how the number of potential ralliers has grown....that it's better just to let everyone handle their own reservation. No more STRESS....that tends to take the fun out of it! Those of us that have benefitted from your willingness to step up and do the organizing and dealing with the money issues DO appreciate the efforts you have made. Now it's time to move on and let you kick back...

I guess I have always enjoyed camping without hook-ups....in fact, the first time we ever used full hook-ups was on the Laguna Seca rally! For me, the important part is the camaraderie of other Airstreamers....

I kind of like the idea of NorCal and SoCal and just plain Cal rallies. Four a year would be good....maybe I could finally make it to more than one per year

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU