Old 10-24-2006, 11:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Another "Northern" Vote...

We are from Yreka... went to the "NorCal" Rally at Lake San Antonio... it was great ~ well worth the drive down. (Nearly 500 miles...each way) But, I vote for something in the central area... either coast, "middle" (Delta?) or Sierras.... as long as we don't need chains or snow gear. Get enough of that here! But, there are folks who come from San Diego and such.... so whatever the place, just let us know! California is a BIG state....

We are happy with or without hookups. A dump site nearby within a couple of miles is always nice as is potable water.... but we are tough old goats... we will be game! I vote for best weather!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)

Old 10-25-2006, 12:44 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari
Orcutt , California
Olema Ranch!

Somewhere to consider in the Nor Cal area: We stayed at a nice place last June in the town of Olema, CA. The RV park is called Olema Ranch and is about 5 miles from the town of Point Reyes Station, 20 minutes W from Fairfax and 40 minutes SW. of Petaluma. It is also about 20 minutes N. of Stinson Beach. Their full hook-up area surrounds a park area with an ampitheatre in the center, it is very sunny and open. They have another area that is very wooded with Red Woods. The wooded area does not have full hook-ups but has partial and they have a honey truck that comes around to empty tanks for a fee. There is a lot around to do. You can visit the Point Reyes Light House, which is awesome. Point Reyes Station is very nice little town to stroll through, and Stinson Beach is also very nice. Their website is www.olemaranch.com. We also stayed at an awesome KOA on the edge of Petaluma. This KOA is nicer than any other I have seen. It has a great Red Wood area to camp in and is close to town and easy access from the freeway. The only bummer for us is 6.5 hr drive from Santa Maria for both of these parks, but well worth it.

I really enjoyed meeting most of you at San Antonio, we were the awkward newbees so we didn't get around to meet all! This group is as great as I expected, well rounded with all ages of people! We look forward to future outings.

Jason

Old 10-25-2006, 12:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Next up

doorgunner - Sonoma Coast State Park is just north of Bodega Bay and has two camprounds. One is Bodega Dunes in the bluffs/dunes on the north end of the bay and the second in Wrights Beach which is a few miles further north right on the beacb. No hook ups at either but water and restrooms at Wrights Beach and water, restrooms, showers and dump station at Bodega Dunes.

BamCamper - I agree with you 100%. Who cares what we call it.

John
Old 10-25-2006, 12:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
[quote=sequoiacoast]Hee-hee... I just have to say, Northern CA is definitely up here in Eureka. I'm from Santa Cruz originally... but I'd say anything north of San Fran qualifies... just playing... we have a good laugh up here about this subject !
For some weird reason Fresno is the imaginary divide to north and southern California. All the places you mentioned way up north are great. We have camped there many times with 'the kids' in the '70s and '80s. Patricks Point is my wifes favorite. The Redwoods..Russian River and near Burney Falls is one of my favorites, Lassen. Say, who needs a Southern California?
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:45 AM   #19
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
I've stayed at Olema Ranch and it's very nice. Not cheap as I recall but the grocery store offers Espresso and gifts... I'd be willing to drive to the "far north" for a rally (but then I'm easy...I'll drive anywhere ) It may be easier for all to pick someplace a LITTLE more south-ish. Is there anything around the Santa Cruz area? Or the Sierras? Sounds like a place with hookups would be best.

*waves to Northern friends CaddyGrn* It was nice chatting with you both and thanks Don for your help and tree climbing skills!
Old 10-25-2006, 11:19 AM   #20
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Bodega Dunes thats the one- thanks Timemachine, Oh BTW Bam I used the Barista daily at the Nor Cal Rally. You didn't get the word? I'm sorry owe you one. Tim

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:28 AM   #21
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Olema Ranch

Just looked at their web winter rates for 3 or more nites $33/nite. They also indicated group rates available. So get on it Bammie!!! Make the call be the Lady,

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:34 PM   #22
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Next question...when????
Old 10-25-2006, 04:45 PM   #23
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
To Clarify

The NorCal group has decided to hold one of their 2 yearly rallies a bit further south, so as to be able to include us SoCal folks.
The first NorCal/ South Rally was at Pismo Beach last year.
This recent rally to Lake San Antonio was the second Norcal / South Rally.
This recent Rally had a very strong showing of SoCal people, as well as "true" NorCal attendees. And, some from the confused middle.
So, there's a friendly evolution and migration happening here, and I believe that none of the attendands really cared what it was called.
I do believe that the group should hold one of it's rallies close to the NorCal origin, so as to not displease their original crowd too much due to driving distance issues.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:03 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Nor/So Cal politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
So, there's a friendly evolution and migration happening here, and I believe that none of the attendands really cared what it was called.
I do believe that the group should hold one of it's rallies close to the NorCal origin, so as to not displease their original crowd too much due to driving distance issues.
Uwe,

Your political career is just beginning! The candidate speaks the truth.

John
Old 10-25-2006, 06:30 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE
Uwe,

Your political career is just beginning! The candidate speaks the truth.
I agree Timemachine! Maybe it should be held in Sacramento!
Old 10-25-2006, 07:05 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Uwe

That would be great to have a rally closer to the northern end of California, such as Sacramento!..maybe Woodland, or the Gold Country??
Old 10-25-2006, 07:18 PM   #27
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear
Uwe

That would be great to have a rally closer to the northern end of California, such as Sacramento!..maybe Woodland, or the Gold Country??
All those places seem like great destinations for the NorCal crowd. Gold Country might be a little cool for the season.
Either of them are too far for me, though. Lake San Antonio was about as far as I can go for a long weekend, trailering, that is.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:18 PM   #28
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowolf
I agree Timemachine! Maybe it should be held in Sacramento!
The Delta might be a great camping destination. I imagine that there's plenty of nice campgrounds near the water.