Old 05-06-2007, 07:25 AM   #1
Rivet Master

The Back to Basic's Balloon and Wine Rally!

All,

I am in the "planning" stages of hosting a "Back to Basic's Balloon and Wine Rally" here in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. The rally will take place the third weekend of Oct. (Oct. 19th-21st) and will be held on the grounds at the "The Shenandoah Valley Hot Air Balloon and Wine Festival at Historic Long Branch". So, you ask, "Why are you calling it "The Back to Basics Balloon and Wine Rally""? This will be a "dry" "no hookup" weekend. So, what you have on board the trailer is what you got! I will, do my best to get us "A" (as in one) water connection that we can daisy chain. Also, for those that "must" have power, my thought is to allow the use of "QUIET" style generators "ONLY". Even these "QUIET STYLE" generators can "ONLY" be used two hours after sunrise and "MUST" be shutdown two hours before sunset. If they are not the "quiet style", don't bring them.

Here's a link to the "Historic Long Branch" website. Look under "Balloon Festival" for information about the festival. "DO NOT" contact them about this rally, if you have questions, contact me. I will also see if I can get us early parking on Thur.the 18th. Again, "DO NOT" contact the festival about this rally. If you want/need info on the festival, that's fine. I will do my best to get us passes or discounts for the festival so "do not" purchase tickets online at this time. I held a WBCCI/WDCU rally down the road from the festival a couple years ago and it was a BLAST!

Historic Long Branch Millwood Virginia

My email balloon@rideair.com

Old 05-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Non Wbcci Event

All,

I forgot to say, this is a "NON-WBCCI" event. Also, I forgot how to add a sign up for this event. Do anyone know how to do that after the creation of a post?

Old 05-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #3
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Paul,
Add the event to the Rally Calendar, then have a Mod add a link to your first post.

Will you be going to the New Mexico Ballon Event? It is earlier in October.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I know you guys will have a great time. We had a blast at the New Mexico Balloon Fiesta last week. While you are there stop by and say Hi! to Gilbert Martin. He is the pilot of a balloon called That's Amore and was our pilot for a ride at the Balloon Fiesta. Gilbert is on the left, Jan and I are in the center.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ride2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	47218  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Why, heck, rideair!

We may be returning to our fair Commonwealth by that time. Any room?

We have current balloon festival credentials, you know. And I don't camp entirely dry, by the way.

Pat
Old 10-21-2007, 08:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Goodtime had by all!

Just a quick note to let everyone know the "Back to Basics" festival turned out great! Friday night was suppose to be the "Balloon Glow", but due to high winds, did not happen. Sat morning was great with some balloons launching from the field others trying to fly in. I decided to say on the field and give everyone that came to the rally balloon rides on the field. Sat. night brought balloons trying to fly into the site. Only one balloon made it back to the ground that night(winds were very tricky), but the one that did make it, flew right over all the trailers and landed. Sun morning brought even more rides for the people at the rally. We went off site to fly in, though we did not make it back to the festival, I wanted to show some of the rally people the Shenandoah Valley in a way most will never see, which is flying at over 5k feet high in a hot air balloon. After packing up and loading the balloon on the back of my truck, it was back to the festival grounds for a bite to eat. Sunday night, all the balloons took off from the festival with many of them launching a 100-150 feet away from our Airstreams. Everyone that joined us got to take home a "Historic Long Branch" t-shirt for showing up.

It was sad to see only members of the WBCCI/WDCU showed up for the rally, I was hoping to meet some of the forums folks, but that's how it goes sometimes. I want to thank all of the members of the WDCU for coming and helping with the event. Since I was flying the balloon, it was a little hard for me to take pictures. Maybe some of the members of the WDCU will post them for all to see.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Somehow I missed the posting of this rally. I might have left a few days earlier to make it. I leave tomorrow morning for Pigeon Forge, TN. for one day and then on to the KOA at Fredericksburg, VA. for several days of sightseeing in Washington, D.C. and the area battlefields. Saturday I go to a wedding and then head back to TN. Sunday morning. I'm packing a bunch in for a few days and this rally would have really started the week off right. Oh well.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner