Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Texas Piney Woods Rally

Ok here goes a shot in the dark;

Ok Ive seen several of you say it here lately and most of us know it, camping in Texas in the month of November is always a great time of year to go camping. Its usually not to cold and the heat of Texas is finally GONE!
Mrs.S and I have been on a few trips this year after finishing our camper and we cannot ever seem to get our schedule right to meet some fellow ASers.

So I thought Id throw this out there and see what happens, I cant call it a rally because Ive never been to one. So for now Im calling it a meet.

November 11th-13th with the 11th being Veterans Day.
I thought this might be a great weekend to get some folks together and get them AS's out and have a good time. For most people this should be a 3 day weekend.

Now we just need a place to meet, Im open to anywhere. The only idea I have is Mill Creek Park on Lake Same Rayburn located in the Piney Woods of East Texas. I checked the campground and it is EMPTY for that weekend. If anyone is intrested I know a great loop in the park that is on the water side and the sites are pretty spacious. Its a great park with great people running it.
But Im open to anywhere.

So with that thrown out there lets see if anyone agrees, we need a Texas camping trip in November.

Anybody?
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
You also have TAHI (Texas Airstream Habor Inc.) on Lake Sam Rayburn pretty close to Zavalla. They will rent you full hookup sites at reasonable rates.

I was there last weekend. The lake is quite low. Had some great catfish at Broaddus.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
You also have TAHI (Texas Airstream Habor Inc.) on Lake Sam Rayburn pretty close to Zavalla. They will rent you full hookup sites at reasonable rates.

I was there last weekend. The lake is quite low. Had some great catfish at Broaddus.

Looks like a great park, Ive never been there personally but Im always up for a new adventure. I grew up on the South end of Rayburn.
Yes the lake is lower than Ive ever seen it, but its still a great lake.
Glad you done good on the catfish. Ive always done well there myself, Im more into the large mouth bass.

Anymore ideas or intrest anyone?
Old 09-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Thumbs up On the calendar!

Mr. S,
It's on the calendar and we'll be there! There probably isn't a better month to camp in Texas than November. Us government workers get a long four day weekend for Veteran's day. That will be awesome. I'm for Mill Creek Park on the lake.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Mr. S,
It's on the calendar and we'll be there! There probably isn't a better month to camp in Texas than November. Us government workers get a long four day weekend for Veteran's day. That will be awesome. I'm for Mill Creek Park on the lake.

Thanks for being the first to jump in and add the date to your calender.

I'll try and get some info up on the campground and the best campsites soon.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Why is it that EVERY rally I want to visit happens the week BEFORE I return to the Republic?

There's always next October I suppose.

Steve
Old 09-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Know the feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Why is it that EVERY rally I want to visit happens the week BEFORE I return to the Republic?

There's always next October I suppose.

Steve
Sorry Soldiermedic, I know how that feels. We have watched the forums for months trying to catch a rally or meet up and I always miss them by just a few days either leaving to go to work or just before I come home.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Texas Piney Woods Rally

Ok everyone, its decided that its going to be the Texas Piney Woods Rally located on Lake Sam Rayburn in Brookeland, Texas.

Campground descripiton

Mill Creek Park is a highly developed camping area located on the southeast shore of Sam Rayburn Reservoir. Sam Rayburn Reservoir is located in the Piney Woods of Southeast Texas, approximately 18 miles north of Jasper, Texas. The park features 110 campsites (105 w/30 amp electric and water connections and 5 w/50 amp electric and water connections). Additional amenities include a group shelter, designated swimming beach, a playground, volleyball court, horseshoe pits, public phones, boat launch, hot showers, and 2 dump stations.

Reservations can be made at www.recreation.gov
When making reservations be sure to select Texas, and on the park or facility section type in Mill Creek and a drop down box will list the full name of the park. The loop is Loop C
The offical rally dates are November 11-13th.
You can come early or leave later or when ever you please.
I highlighted the Loop C spots on this map so everyone can see the sites.
If you click on site 74 you shoud see a note labeled Mr. & Mrs. S.
Ill update it as reservations are made.
MC Park map.pdf

I myself have made reservations for site number 74 and I will be staying in the park from November 9th -14th. If you have any questions or if you think you might need help setting up on your arrival let me know, Ill be glad to help out in any way.

I hope to see a great turn out.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Hey jsmith84, TOP sent me the link on PM. We're looking into it. Not too far for us.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
2007 34' Classic S/O
Slidell/Lake Sam Rayburn , Louisiana/Texas
Not sure that we can make this one, Dennis has gotten busy with contract work during that time. If anything changes I will let you know.

Mary Dennis Watermann
maryh2omann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McLeod , Texas
I don't know yet if my wife will get to come or not, but I am booked into C76. Really looking forward to meeting some of you.

Tom Harman
Wooden Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #12
Member Slide Out Society

2004 28' Safari S/O
Zavalla , Texas Airstream Harbor
November 11-13 is the Rally date for the Texas Gulf Coast Unit...at Texas Airstream Harbor. Would love for you to have your "get together" with us. Camping rates for the rally at $10 per day for full hook-ups (30 amp-water-sewer) and free wifi. For only $10.00 per person rally fee you'll get a Saturday night Dinner, Saturday morning Pankcake breakfast and get to meet up with about 70 other great Airstreamers...
Rockwell
Rockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post
November 11-13 is the Rally date for the Texas Gulf Coast Unit...at Texas Airstream Harbor. Would love for you to have your "get together" with us. Camping rates for the rally at $10 per day for full hook-ups (30 amp-water-sewer) and free wifi. For only $10.00 per person rally fee you'll get a Saturday night Dinner, Saturday morning Pankcake breakfast and get to meet up with about 70 other great Airstreamers...
Rockwell

I was totally unaware of the of Texas Gulf Coast Unit rally. I looked on the forum calender and there was nothing showing for that weekend. Nor have I been able to find any information on it. I can assure you Im not trying to cause conflict with your rally. I Hope you accept my apology.
Im easy to work with, if Airstreamers would like to move to your location then that is fine with me. There will be no hard feelings if the people that have taken intrest in the Texas Piney Woods Rally wish to move to the Texas Airstream Harbor.

For now I entend to leave the Texas Piney Woods Rally as scheduled, if anyone wishs to cancel on it and move to the Texas Airstream Harbor for that rally just please let me know and we can move also. If there are available spots.

Again sorry for the conflict.

Its up to the community, any respones are welcome.
For us it all about Airsteaming.
Im sure if people want to continue with the Texas Piney Woods rally then it will be a smaller rally, but that is fine with us.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Spot 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooden Rivet View Post
I don't know yet if my wife will get to come or not, but I am booked into C76. Really looking forward to meeting some of you.

Tom Harman

You have booked a really great spot, we stayed there back in July for 11 days.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...les-78147.html

If you take a look at our travel thread you can see a picture of the site on post #10. Its prolly the largest spot in the Loop.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Texas Piney Woods Ralley

Ok ladies and gentlemen, Just wanted to send a reminder that if you think you might or if you do plan to attend this rally to sign up early. This park will fill up fast, especially the C Loop as it gets closer to the holiday weekend. I am not allowed to hold any spots due to the park being run by the Corps of Engineers.
Here is the update list as of now.
MC Park map.pdf

For those of you who have already singed up be thinking of anything you would like to do or any ideas you might have. You can PM me or just post it openly on the forums.

I plan on doing some cooking, chili is always great this time of year out of a dutch oven. (I love cast iron cooking) Depending on how many attend I have access to a large BBQ pit. Just thinking out loud.
Any and all ideas are welcome.

The yellow highlights on the map are not all reserved, they are the sites I was pointing out that are great spots in loop C. The spots that are reserved are the one that have a sticky note attached to them. If you click on the sticky not it should show who has reserved that site. Please let me know it the map is not working correctly.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #16
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Mr. S,
I just booked site number 72. I know of a few people that are "checking" to see if they can make it. I hope they can. I look forward to a great time camping with fellow Airstreamers! As far as things to do, how about some BBQ and cold beer? Maybe we can get a small pig and have a pig pickin'! I know, that is a North Carolina thing..We can BBQ a brisket too!
Now Steve is really going to miss out!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Sounds Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Mr. S,
I just booked site number 72. I know of a few people that are "checking" to see if they can make it. I hope they can. I look forward to a great time camping with fellow Airstreamers! As far as things to do, how about some BBQ and cold beer? Maybe we can get a small pig and have a pig pickin'! I know, that is a North Carolina thing..We can BBQ a brisket too!
Now Steve is really going to miss out!

Sounds good! Hope that the others can make it. The more the better!
Cold beer will be a must! LOL.
North Carolina Pig Pickin huh! That sounds intresting! My neighbor just told me he caught 14 wild pigs last week, but there all already gone.
When I camped there back in July there was no open flames allowed, only small gas grills. I really hope that changes before November. Ill check with them when the time gets closer.
We will work it out one way or another, there's more den one way to skin a cat.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #18
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Signed up

We are in. We have reserved space 73.

Jim and Kathy
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
jsmith84,

So now I see why you started this get together, I like your style, If you can't attend one, start your own.

"We have watched the forums for months trying to catch a rally or meet up and I always miss them by just a few days either leaving to go to work or just before I come home. "
Old 09-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Guilty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere Guy View Post
jsmith84,

So now I see why you started this get together, I like your style, If you can't attend one, start your own.

"We have watched the forums for months trying to catch a rally or meet up and I always miss them by just a few days either leaving to go to work or just before I come home. "
Guilty!

Ive never been one to sit on the sidelines and watch everyone else have all the fun, So I decided to make fun of our own.
We are really excited about this rally and meeting other Airstreamers.