Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #241
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
My goodness, I would never do that

did run down the battery on my power drill a few times though.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:53 AM   #242
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Let me know if anyone cancels...my friends need a spot

Hey guys & gals,

We have some friends that are planning to come to the April get-together. They previously didn't make reservations because they sold their previous camper. Some of you guys may remember them from the Spring 2007 trip. They had the little 1947 Boles "canned ham" type camper. It was restored to a tiki hut type theme. It was sold on Ebay and sadly it was totalled by the transport company on its way to California on a flatbed. They are working to finish the restoration on a recently purchased '62 Airstream. They both have background in design and are very creative. I can't wait to see it.

Let me know if anyone ends up with a spot that they don't need. They're great folks if you haven't me them.

Thanks, Geven
StreaminGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:05 AM   #243
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
My mistake, it was a 1949 Bellwood that they had!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreaminGuy
Hey guys & gals,

We have some friends that are planning to come to the April get-together. They previously didn't make reservations because they sold their previous camper. Some of you guys may remember them from the Spring 2007 trip. They had the little 1947 Boles "canned ham" type camper. It was restored to a tiki hut type theme. It was sold on Ebay and sadly it was totalled by the transport company on its way to California on a flatbed. They are working to finish the restoration on a recently purchased '62 Airstream. They both have background in design and are very creative. I can't wait to see it.

Let me know if anyone ends up with a spot that they don't need. They're great folks if you haven't me them.

Thanks, Geven
StreaminGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:14 AM   #244
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I didn't see inside, but I remember it made quiet a buzz. It is sad for a beautifully restored, or customized labor of love, to make it nearly sixty years and be destroyed on its way to its new owner...and not even rolling on its own two tires but being carried on someone else's trailer!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #245
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
That trailer was fabulous. we loved it inside and out. It reminds me of when my brother sold his 1926 Dodge Pickup and the guy dropped it off his flatbed on the way over a bridge. Yikes.
Musta hurt like my trailer with the tree laying on it.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 03-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #246
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Airstream Sprouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob
So Alan, I'm curious. What happens to the old AS with the slight wind damage? Do they haul that bad boy off?

Inquiring minds.
You could donate to the 'Airstream Ranch' down in Florida...
Kinda like the 'Cadillac Ranch' out in Texas.

Airstream Ranch's Creator Says He Sees Beauty in Old RVs | TheLedger.com

If you've driven on Interstate 4 between Plant City and Tampa recently, you've probably noticed them. Eight silver travel trailers tilt eastward at a roughly 20-degree angle, wheel sides forward, looking a bit like dominoes caught in freeze-frame just as they begin to topple.

Their wrinkled aluminum skins reflect the sunlight, even on a recent overcast afternoon, creating a diversion that is almost impossible to ignore among billboards and traffic signs along a typically charmless stretch of highway 11 miles west of the Polk County line.

Its creator has dubbed it Airstream Ranch, an homage to both Texas' Cadillac Ranch and a popular brand of trailers he happens to sell at his nearby recreational vehicle dealership.

"People get a big kick out of it," said Frank Bates, owner of Bates RV and the designer of Airstream Ranch, which occupies a grassy plot a quarter-mile west of his dealership fronting I-4's eastbound lanes. "They drive by and see it and enjoy it. It's something to look at."

While Bates calls it art, Hillsborough County officials offer a less romantic description - code violation - and they want it removed. The county has scheduled a hearing on the matter next Friday, and signs at the Bates RV dealership reading "Save Airstream Ranch" direct customers to petitions supporting the assemblage as "a historic Florida roadside attraction." Bates said about 3,000 people have signed the petitions.

Bates envisioned Airstream Ranch last year, as Airstream Inc. was celebrating its 75th year. A Texas native, Bates had long admired Cadillac Ranch, an outdoor display of 10 partially buried Cadillacs in Amarillo, Texas, devised by businessman Stanley Marsh III and erected by the art collective The Ant Farm in 1974.

Though Bates originally wanted to install shiny, pristine Airstreams, as 2007 wound down he bought six trailers from a junkyard to go with two he already owned. In early January, workers using a backhoe and a large crane spent two days burying the trailers nose first, 6 to 8 feet deep. By the time the third Airstream was planted, three news helicopters had arrived to get aerial footage.

Bates, 52, had hoped to include an Airstream from each decade of the company's existence. He settled for trailers dating from 1957 through 1994 and ranging from 16 feet to 34 feet.

Photographers from across the country have swooped in to capture Airstream Ranch on film or pixels. Bates invites visitors to stop at his dealership, where employees can shuttle them by golf cart to the site, rather than stopping along I-4 to take pictures.

"My one mistake is I made sure all the good sides were facing the road (I-4)," Bates said. "The problem is the sun shines from the south, so the photographers always want to take pictures from the south side and always take pictures of the bad side, which I feel terrible about."

As Bates recently gave a reporter a tour, a car arrived from the south, taking advantage of an open gate, and a couple approached the trailers on foot, bearing cameras.

Gene Toole, an Ohioan spending the winter at a nearby mobile home park, said he wanted a photo for a friend who has an Airstream.

"I think it's unique," Toole said of Airstream Ranch. "I know there's an issue with some neighbors. Most people I've talked to are kind of positive about it."

Word of Airstream Ranch recently reached Marsh through a reporter from the Amarillo Globe-News.

"I said, 'Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery,'" Marsh told The Ledger by phone. "I don't own the idea of 10 tilted poles. I hope your area and your artists have as much fun with it as I have had with mine. If I were in your neighborhood, I'd go look at it."

If Airstream Ranch is allowed to remain, Bates said he'd like to replace some of the dented trailers with better preserved models. He said students from Tampa Bay Technical High School have offered to landscape the site and install lights so that the trailers can be seen at night. Bates envisions creating a park and playing host to art shows and even weddings.

But the future of Airstream Ranch is in serious doubt. Ed Brill, Hillsborough County's manager of code enforcement, said Bates' violations include improper off-site advertising and misuse of agricultural land. Bates denied the advertising charge, noting the display contains no signs.

Brill said the citations followed complaints from people living in a neighborhood just to the south.

Hillsborough's code-enforcement board, a group of seven citizens, will consider the case at next Friday's hearing in Tampa. Brill's department will present its side, Bates will be invited to respond and citizens also will be allowed to speak. If the board sides with the code-enforcement department, Brill said Bates will be given some time to remove the trailers before he starts incurring fines.

Bates argues that Airstream Ranch is a work of art, and in the lobby of his dealership he displays a letter from Alan Moore, an art professor at the University of South Florida, supporting that assertion. Bates notes that a 1963 Airstream Bambi resides in the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

Marsh, told of the controversy, instantly sided with Bates, whom he doesn't know.

"I think the First Amendment gives us complete freedom of expression and is more important than any zoning or local officials," Marsh said. "I think whoever attempts to remove it is a philistine."

Bates doesn't make such high-flown arguments; he just wants to keep his vertical trailer park.

"Everyone in Texas knows Stanley Marsh III because he did Cadillac Ranch," Bates said. "Well, it would be kind of neat in 30 or 40 years if everyone knew Frank Bates because he did Airstream Ranch."
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:01 PM   #247
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Ledger Video - All
1972 Argosy 24'...
Old 03-07-2008, 08:21 PM   #248
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreaminGuy
Hey guys & gals,

Thanks, Geven
Those guys rocked - from Columbia (SC) or something if I remember correctly? Sad about their rig, it was beautiful.

Between that rig, Alan's "wind damage" and Klattu's last post with buried AS's, I'm getting a little uneasy!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #249
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thumbs up

I wish they had already picked mine up, it will be Monday. It still is a drag to see it sitting out there with a gaping hole in the roof and rain pouring in. We had a tarp over all of it and took it off as they were coming to get it today. But no show.

Meanwhile ( drum roll ...Brad) we bought a Winnebago!!
__________________________________________________ ______
Just kidding............we bought an Airstream --- what else!
I will be picking it up next Saturday and have it at Springstream of course.
With regards to the Rally, Shannon and I will be coming up either Tuesday or Wed, and unfortunately, but for a very good reason, we have to leave Saturday afternoon.

I am hoping many of you (if not all) will agree to get together for a shared brunch at 11:30 or so Saturday, in the pavillion. This way we can selfishly see all of you all at one time, have our raffle, and then after some lunchy- breakfasty food and drink...have our tour of homes as we have always done.

We hate that we will miss the big dinner, but consider the brunch a meet and greet warm up for it.

Let me know your thoughts please. We plan on leaving Saturday at 2 or so.
__________________________________________________ ______________
Thanks for all the good wishes and emails with trailers for sale! I had a folder full of Airstreams on my computer desktop and made many,many calls and emails.
Hopefully our new to us Airstream will e a whole lotta fun like the last one.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 03-08-2008, 03:31 AM   #250
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
Just kidding............we bought an Airstream --- what else!
I will be picking it up next Saturday and have it at Springstream of course.
With regards to the Rally, Shannon and I will be coming up either Tuesday or Wed, and unfortunately, but for a very good reason, we have to leave Saturday afternoon.

I am hoping many of you (if not all) will agree to get together for a shared brunch at 11:30 or so Saturday, in the pavillion. This way we can selfishly see all of you all at one time, have our raffle, and then after some lunchy- breakfasty food and drink...have our tour of homes as we have always done.

We hate that we will miss the big dinner, but consider the brunch a meet and greet warm up for it.

Let me know your thoughts please. We plan on leaving Saturday at 2 or so.
__________________________________________________ ______________
Thanks for all the good wishes and emails with trailers for sale! I had a folder full of Airstreams on my computer desktop and made many,many calls and emails.
Hopefully our new to us Airstream will e a whole lotta fun like the last one.
Group "Pot-Lunch" sounds good to us, let's see who else concurs. Glad you can make it at all!

Congratulations on the new-to-you purchase. Pictures and further description would be appreciated. I assume (scarey as that sounds) that "a whole lotta fun" does _not_ include completely renovating the inside.

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #251
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
How about some griddles for a pancake feast at the brunch? Kids might like that. I have one I can bring might be able to borrow a couple more..
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 03-08-2008, 10:07 AM   #252
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Brunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
How about some griddles for a pancake feast at the brunch?
We can bring three griddles.

Pancake additives:
1. chopped pecans

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #253
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Sounds good. I will get some pancake mix together, I use gluten free- buckwheat and millet but Shannon can help make some more "normal" type.

Maybe we can grow this into a super brunch....
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 03-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #254
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Take it easy Brad... we're talkin' gluten here; not glutton...

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:35 PM   #255
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I guess we should use baking powder that has aluminum in it.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 03-08-2008, 09:00 PM   #256
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Is the band going to show up? Friday night fever?
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:23 PM   #257
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Alan,
I sent a message to you by way of email and it came back not deliverable. What did you buy?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #258
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Glad to hear everything is working out for you Alan.
Your Saturday plan sounds good to me. We'll think of something to contribute to the brunch and I guess we should start thinking about the potluck dinner as well.
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:26 AM   #259
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
We will add to brunch also...
Something high in fiber, like cake or brownies.

This just in...
Vienna Sausage Casserole !
1972 Argosy 24'...
Old 03-09-2008, 10:16 AM   #260
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Also please --everyone consider bringing some sort of raffle item. I will bring the tickets to the brunch. Anything you might want to give away, it does not have to be new, just something fun...I have lots of Airstream parts..many dented or full of pine chips, though.

As for the music Ron is not sure he will be there Friday night, but we could do some if there are folks who want to have a wine & cocktail party/ get together....and if we can use the pavillion.
I am always up for some tunes. Brad...Phil??

Lets post what dishes you might bring to the dinner....
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!