Old 12-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Southern Discomfort

I was thinking back to the trips I've taken this year - and unfortunately since the accident in June - they've been few and far between. I've taken a few short jaunts of 100 miles or less for a weekend that sometimes stretched to three days.

Why? Because I still have a "residual" discomfort about towing again. Now it's the dead of winter and even this far south, not ideal towing weather. But the longer I delay the harder it will be for me to go back on the road. So anyone planning anything interesting in February?

Preferably no more than 300 miles from Va Beach - and again preferably where it's warm...

Ready to put more than one toe (or tow) in the water! Paula

Old 12-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sorry for your discomfort, but it's not surprising given the seriousness of that accident.

Maybe you need to tow and have a friend follow for awhile.

Alumalina is the end of March. I guarantee you would enjoy that, and there are lots of folks coming from your direction.

Take care,

Maggie

Old 12-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Paula,

Just a note of support. Its right to be concerned and cautious, but there are a lot of camping days waiting, a lot of people to meet and places to see.

Just take another look at your avatar, see anyone you know?

Enjoy.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Time will make it better!
Hope you hook up with somebody and get back on the road! Soon!
It has been 4 years since we had our accident. We (I) totaled both truck and trailer, similar to you, and both of us walked away. DW said she was done camping, but that fear did not last but a month. The first year or so after the wreck I was very tense every time I towed. I don't even think about that accident now, when I hook up or tow.

add edit: I think that wreck actually made me a better driver while towing. I am more aware, more cautious, and I drive slower intentionally.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Hi Paula,
I wouldn't punish yourself too much. These things take time. I suggest that you "cherry pick" your moments and give yourself some easy, rewarding, fun trips to get back into the swing of things. I bet it will happen before you know it.
We are heading to Florida in February and there is the AlumaFlamingo event to think about...
Cheers,
Bruce
Old 12-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Paula, in February, hitch up your new trailer, get on I-95, drive South to SR100 in Yulee, Florida. Go West on SR100 to US301, Go South on US301 to SR326 in Ocala, Go West on SR326 to I-75. Go South on I-75 to Fruitville Road in Sarasota. Go West on Fruitville Road about 5 miles to the Sarasota Fairgrounds on the left. Pull in, and have fun with the other Airstreamers there.
If anyone there causes you not to enjoy yourself, they will answer to me.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I have never met any of you, but so agree, what a great group of people, Paula u r one lucky gal, and I bet there r plenty coming down 95 u could meet up with and travel together. Good luck and Merry Christmas to all.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
When I was 18, I pranged my first car pretty bad when I swerved to avoid hitting a kid that came running out between two parked cars. I was doing only about 20, put the car into a hedge and managed to hit a hidden hydro pole, which pretty much totalled the ancient Beetle.

The accident wasn't my fault, but especially as a young driver I was really shook up - just the thought of hitting that kid had me shaking for a long, long time.

My dad took me for a long drive in his car that afternoon, with me driving. He insisted that I'd go right back behind the wheel so I would have no time to start doubting myself. He used to be a terrible backseat driver, but that one day he was on his best behaviour, just chatting and making me feel comfortable.

Like A W Warn says, I too think that accident has made me a better driver. To this day, more than 20 years later, I tend to be hyper aware of my surroundings when driving and always err on the side of caution.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Paula,
I know exactly how you feel. After we slipped off the Blue Ridge Parkway and put the GoldWing down in the grass I never felt good about getting out on the motor again, especially with Linda aboard. I gave the Aspencade to a fellow Airstreamer. Terry gives good directions and personal protection - can't miss. Looking forward to seeing you in camp someday.
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
If you go to Sarasota also drop by Travelers Rest Resort for a few days. (Or more).
Old 12-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I still get mounting anxiety about changing my location after my first year on the road when I lost three of the stock seven tires to blowouts. I haven't had any more towing issues in the last 7 years. My new EB is changing that, I'm not soo puckered behind the wheel.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #12
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Page and I are heading down to FL (someplace) in Feb. Perhaps we'll be on a similar schedule.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Gotta get "back in the saddle" ... And relax so you don't miss all the fun you know is waiting.

Remember, you do not have a spirit of fear, but one of power
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Paula, in February, hitch up your new trailer, get on I-95, drive South to SR100 in Yulee, Florida. Go West on SR100 to US301, Go South on US301 to SR326 in Ocala, Go West on SR326 to I-75. Go South on I-75 to Fruitville Road in Sarasota. Go West on Fruitville Road about 5 miles to the Sarasota Fairgrounds on the left. Pull in, and have fun with the other Airstreamers there.
If anyone there causes you not to enjoy yourself, they will answer to me.
(For those of you who don't know Terry gets all of his friends addicted to his world famous "mudslides" and to the alternate universe series "1632" and it's associated "Grantville Gazette") My Kindle runneth over.

The trip to FL sounds like about 500 miles one way.... What are the exact dates? And I-95? Ack! But I will consider it especially if there's a possibility of caravanning with another unit or two.