Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2008, 11:09 AM   #141
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
FAYETTEVILLE , North Carolina
With as slow as everything is going with my restoration, I might be tent camping in a BIG aluminum tent. Does anyone have any suggestions for something to bring to the potluck that doesn't require cooking or a refrigerator?? This is not only my first Airstream rally but is also going to be my first time camping in my trailer. This restoration looked alot quicker on paper.

Nick
wiegand01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:39 PM   #142
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Nick

We know exactly what you mean. We're in the same boat..no walls, no cabinets, no beds.. We started in January and thought it would be completed by March....hahahaha....NO.....We are trying desperately to get the kitchen in and the air on before the Rally. It will be our 1st rally also. We have missed 2 since we bought our AS last July and do not want to miss this one. We have camped only 2 times in a year. Once at an RV park and once boondockin with our horses. Awesome both times!
Good luck to you...

Kani
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegand01 View Post
With as slow as everything is going with my restoration, I might be tent camping in a BIG aluminum tent. Does anyone have any suggestions for something to bring to the potluck that doesn't require cooking or a refrigerator?? This is not only my first Airstream rally but is also going to be my first time camping in my trailer. This restoration looked alot quicker on paper.

Nick
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #143
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Wal-Mart not too far away

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegand01 View Post

Nick
One option may be to put something together from Wal-Mart the day of the potluck. A Wal-Mart Super Center is right off Interstate 44 at Exit 226 where you may also exit to MO Hwy 185 and Meramec State Park. It appears to be about 5 to 7 miles from the campgrounds. Several franchise and fast food restaurants and shopping options are in that same area. It is a very busy exit/intersection with lots of semi-truck traffic. Generally we do everything we can to avoid getting off in Sullivan as we travel across Interstate 44 -- not this time though!

One option may be to bring some canned beans, herbs and spices, and a bottle of good salad dressing as a basis for a bean salad. The day of the potluck you could add the remaining ingredients (onion?, celery?) and chill it in a cooler before the potluck. Fruit, cheese and crackers? Chips and salsa? Makings for "Somemores" if there is a campfire? Just throwing out some ideas to help you decide. Folks will understand I'm sure if you don't have a kitchen and food prep ability before the rally.

Nancy Mac
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:50 PM   #144
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Nick,

Many people on this forum have been in your boat. I want to offer this up to help console you. Like Nancy Mac said earlier, there is a Super Wally World in Sullivan not far from the campgrounds. Chips and dips or salsa, a veggie platter, perhaps a desert that can sit out, or anything you want to bring.

On a side note, you can use our fridge if you need to keep something cold.

If you still want to have some help on your trailer, I have plenty of time before the rally.

Good Luck!!!!!!

Steve
Old 07-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #145
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
cheating, but who really would know?

I suppose you could call it cheating, but there are lots of stores and delis that have prepared salads, etc at their deli counter, and if you put it in your own dish, no one knows if you made it or not, if you don't confess!! Not that I would ever in my life do anything like that. A cooler with ice would keep something cold until it was time to serve it. If you don't have a kitchen, it would be a suggestion.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:12 PM   #146
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Saturday Potluck Listing

Maccamper Baked Beans (Ribs for BBQ)
2Wired Corn Cassarole
Cosmotini Deviled Egg Potato Salad
Tin Loaf Fruit Salad
Isadora Guacamole (Fish Fry?)
76Sovereign Samoan BBQ Chicken (Ribs?)
Soldiermedic Smoked Armadillo Eggs

We also plan to smoke a shoulder to have for people on Friday night as well.

Steve
Old 07-27-2008, 04:20 PM   #147
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
OK I figured it out. I am going to make a cold fruit salad (watermelon basket with melons, different fruits, etc., one of my favorite things to do) and I will have my guacamole also. If I decide to make anything else like a blackberry cobbler with some of the 30 qts of blackberries I have in my freezer, that will be a bonus. No promises on the cobbler but chances are pretty good. I thought we might do the fish fry a night other than the potluck. Gotta go fishing first.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:24 AM   #148
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
Steve glad your back home and on line. Put me down for Peach Cobbler I am trying to talk James into frying some Oklahoma Catfish. We did that on the 4th of July but it took soooooo long in our deep little fat fryer. He said if he had one of those turkey cookers it would be a snap.

We worked on the A/S Fri, Sat James fishing, Sunday was a flop. We had the AC running since Thursday night so it would be cool in the A/S while we work. Well got up Sunday and the one foot adapter cord shorted out, so we have to buy a new one. To top that off the A/S froze up, not sure if that was because of the cord shorting out or we still have a problem with the AC. James is calling the RV place today as it has only been 14 days since the AC was worked on. It is amazing all the little things that need done for finish up. Sunday we were putting the new belly plate on the rear that reaches from the black tank to the bumper. Well guess what we didn't have the right size rivets. A run to Chickasha, OK was a dry run. I will try Ace hardware on the way home tonight, if that doesn't work the Tuesday James will make a run to Oklahoma City. With Gas prices we try and make each trip count. I got the cover off of the goucho off and washed Friday, did some touch up painting. I am still finishing up the bathroom, overhead doors, overhead mirror, we put the closet doors on the wrong sides so now we have to remove and change sides. Need to add some rivets here and there for finish up. James got the breaks working.

James is planning to fish while he is there.

Catch ya all later
1951 Flying Cloud SS#7062
AIR #18751
CJ of Okla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:24 AM   #149
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Jim cooks our trout on the grill, dip it in butter or olive oil, put his special seasoning mix on it, and grill it. Way better than frying, we have found. And fast. But with a limit of 4 trout a day, that's 8 for 2 people (assuming we catch our limit), makes l6 fillets, we need a couple of days of fishing to have enough. Of course we can always bring some with us from our next fishing trip before the rally.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:45 AM   #150
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
CJ,

Correct me if I am wrong, but are you using a 30 Amp to 15 Amp converter so you can use your Air Conditioner off a regular outlet? If so this is not a good thing. I had planned on doing the same thing one time, and was told that those units are made for 30 Amps and I would be limiting the life of the unit. If I am mistaken, then just forget what I wrote. I thought that this may be part of the problem.

Steve
Old 07-28-2008, 08:46 AM   #151
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
AC problems

CJ, I am wondering if your AC unit is doing what our unit is: the compressor keeps working even after the temperature has gotten below the set point on the thermostat. That could be how it froze up.

Could you let us know what the AC tech has to say? Is it a problem with the thermostat or is it with a relay in the AC unit? We have the original mechanical thermostats in ours and I suspect you might as well. I was planning on replacing our thermostats anyway, but if the culprit is a bad relay, I will want to address that as well. Thanks very much.

Laird
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:42 AM   #152
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
Steve and Laird, I just called James and read him all your emails. He said the cord may have been the starter. So he is going to the RV place in Chickasha and talk to Eddy to make sure he is using the right electrical hookups. I will let you all know what he finds out.
AIR #18751
Old 07-28-2008, 11:00 AM   #153
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
OK I figured it out. I am going to make a cold fruit salad (watermelon basket with melons, different fruits, etc., one of my favorite things to do) and I will have my guacamole also. If I decide to make anything else like a blackberry cobbler with some of the 30 qts of blackberries I have in my freezer, that will be a bonus. No promises on the cobbler but chances are pretty good. I thought we might do the fish fry a night other than the potluck. Gotta go fishing first.
AWESOME ISADORA!.....It's people like you that get people like me excited about the trip and what to bring. How ambitious you are!

Kani
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #154
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
If I decide to make anything else like a blackberry cobbler with some of the 30 qts of blackberries I have in my freezer, that will be a bonus. No promises on the cobbler but chances are pretty good.
That cobbler sounds fantastic.

I can pick up a load of meat at Trenton Meat Market for the BBQ. I smoked a pork picnic roast this weekend at Babler State Park and it was awesome. Almost as good as Bandana's.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #155
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Hey Loaf!!

Bringing meat would be fantastico if you want, but no obligation. Wish I had known you were at Babler SP, it's about 25 minutes from me, and we could have camped. We were actually thinking about heading there this weekend.

Steve
Old 07-29-2008, 05:28 AM   #156
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
Ac

James went and got a new converter cord. The RV guy said something about those OLD units can get cold and something about the compressor frost over and the thermostat doesn't shut off. You will have to talk to James when we are at Meramec, he can explain better. Anyway he came home put the new cord on and the AC is working perfect. Hope it keeps working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ of Okla View Post
Steve and Laird, I just called James and read him all your emails. He said the cord may have been the starter. So he is going to the RV place in Chickasha and talk to Eddy to make sure he is using the right electrical hookups. I will let you all know what he finds out.
AIR #18751
Old 07-31-2008, 08:38 PM   #157
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
FAYETTEVILLE , North Carolina
I really appreciate the help this weekend. Looking forward to meeting you Steve..

Nick
wiegand01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:25 AM   #158
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
Hey all it was only 109 in the shade Sunday (Aug 3) here in Oklahoma. James and I got up real early and started installing our NEW fantastic fan. Well I get to be the monkey as I am the lightest. We were lucky that non of the PO had used silicone on the old fan. I had gray sticky stuff like plumbers putty. I grinded off the rivet heads then drilled out the rivets. James removed the rivets holding the lid from the inside and disconnected the wires. What is the pits we had put this new vent lid on last year, early part of this summer the vent fan was left on with the lid shut. End results burned up the motor, those motors aren't cheep. So we opted to put in a fantastic fan. I traced the new vent seal and cut round hole into square. We did a dry fit and after many fittings we finally got the fan to fit. I used the good old gray stuff to seal the seal and installed the fan. The fan came with screws to install. We had to cut 2 x 2 boards and insert between the top and inside ceiling. I predrilled holes then added a little gray seal and screwed down the fan. From the inside James hooked up the wires, had to cut the ceiling hole a little bigger to slide in the sleeve. We haven't screwed the inside (sleeve) cover down as our ceiling isn't flat and where the predrilled screw holes are the screws won't go into the ceiling. So we will have to call Vintage trailers for some helpful hints. But the fan works great. We got done by 11:30am and it was just getting 98. James kept the trailer parked in the shade, he kept having to move so I wouldn't fry on top. HEE HEE

17 days till we head for the Ralley.
AIR #18751
Old 08-04-2008, 09:20 AM   #159
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Nice Story CJ.

I too installed a fantastic fan on Wiegand01's 64 Safari. I was also given the line, "You are the lightest, so you do it." I was in full sun for several hours, and now my front is white, and my back is red. I also installed a new vent cover for his exhaust fan, and assisted him, and Tin Loaf in installing the new Astradome with new lifters.

Wiegand01 has quite a project on his hands, and I believe he finally got his plumbing back in order. He is working on cabinets now, and should be reworking his gauchos so they have a place to sleep on at the rally . I plan to get up there and help him this week since I have drill over the weekend, but tonight is COllin's B-Day and we are having people over for it (Got the smoker rolling with 2 Chickens, a shoulder, and set of spare ribs now).

Steve
Old 08-04-2008, 10:55 AM   #160
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
Forgot to tell ya James put on new shocks Friday. Next year we get new axels, we have spend our wad this year.

Glad you are helping Wiegand01 to get his A/S ready for the Rally.
AIR #18751

Tags
float, missouri, rally, summer, trip