Old 08-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #211
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Trenton , Illinois
I bought a 10 pound pork butt that I was planning to hickory smoke all day on Friday with my inline gas smoker unless you have your big honker going on Friday.

I also have two roasting chickens and buns for the pork butt. And the fruit salad.

I'll be heading to the park right after work on Thursday so you should expect me around 5:00.

Who's going to stop at a roadside vegetable stand and get us some good sweet corn?

Steve

Old 08-20-2008, 07:18 PM   #212
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf View Post
I bought a 10 pound pork butt that I was planning to hickory smoke all day on Friday with my inline gas smoker unless you have your big honker going on Friday.

I also have two roasting chickens and buns for the pork butt. And the fruit salad.

I'll be heading to the park right after work on Thursday so you should expect me around 5:00.

Who's going to stop at a roadside vegetable stand and get us some good sweet corn?

Steve
Oh, wow! Sounds great!

Nancy Mac

Old 08-20-2008, 08:03 PM   #213
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Steve,

We can do this a few ways. We can cook everything on Friday and have leftovers on Friday (Hopefully), or we can smoke both days. I would hate for you to lug extra gear if you don't have to, so you can decide. There should be plenty of room on the "HONKER".

For some reason, neither Schnucks' market or Walmart carry sterno or steam table pans. I am going to look at Dierberdgs tomorrow on the way down.

Steve
Old 08-20-2008, 08:14 PM   #214
Rivet Master

Steve, do you need any charcoal or wood for the smoker? let me know.

FYI...for those who haven't been to Meramec SP, there is a cave right next to the campground that offers tours, not ADA accessible though.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:36 PM   #215
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Zambo,

Funny you should ask. I was just telling Amy we need to go and buy a bunch of wood for the smoker. If you have some, it would be most excellent. Let me know what you can bring and I will purchase off that.

Thanks!!!

Steve
Old 08-20-2008, 09:02 PM   #216
Rivet Master

I know I've got some oak and crabapple. Let me check the pile at work; probably elm, sycamore, sweetgum, silver maple...not good for cooking though.
I can make a few calls to see if I can round up some hickory.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:16 PM   #217
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
As long as it is not a soft wood, and it is well cured we should be okay.

Hickory would be great since I have a small stock of that which I will use. I plan to take the Airstream down to the park in the morning, and return to get the smoker, so if I don't hear something before I take the smoker back down I will pick up more hickory.

Steve
Old 08-20-2008, 09:56 PM   #218
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Wish we could be there!

Hey Steve, Amy, and Colin,
Have a great time at the rally, it was fun to meet you all!!
Regards from your Michigan pals!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:15 AM   #219
Rivet Master

Steve, upon re-read I see you'll be smokin' Thursday - Friday. I wouldn't be able to bring anything down till afternoon on Friday at the earliest.
We were planing to stop by on Saturday for a visit & tour of the cave, maybe shack down for the night if weather is nice.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:27 AM   #220
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Zambo,

I won't be smoking until Friday. I just planned on bringing the smoker down on Thursday. I plan to start cooking around noon.

Steve
Old 08-22-2008, 07:48 AM   #221
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Site 15 Meramec State Park

HI all

We are late pulling out for Meramec. We planned on leaving Thursday Morning but had to work on buttoning down the remodel project. (It's never as easy or quick as you think)

We will leave Today, Friday and hopefully be there early afternoon. We will be at site 15 so if anyone tries to snag that space run them out!

I suppose since we paid for 3 days they will keep it open and not sell it to someone else.

We can't wait!
See U there

Kani
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:24 AM   #222
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Zambo,

I won't be smoking until Friday. I just planned on bringing the smoker down on Thursday. I plan to start cooking around noon.

Steve
You got wifi out there? We want to see pictures!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:56 PM   #223
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Thumbs up Just got home!

We just got back from the Meramec Rally and what a great time we had! It was our 1st Rally and we felt right at home with the other ASers...
We arrived to a large greeting party all standing along the road and waving like the Clampets at the end of the Beverly Hillbillies....it was awesome! We felt so special!

The food was unbelievable....I don't know when if ever we have had such good vittles and not just 1 but 2 nights in a row!

Steve you rock man! BEST smoked . . everything I'VE EVER HAD! Amy you are a very sweet and wonderful person. Collin you are a very sweet boy and we loved the time we spent with you.

It was a pleasure and a joy to meet each and every one of you.

See you in October for the Branson Rally!

Kani and Jack

PS: I will post pictures later...after we unpack the AS and I take a shower and cool off and fix dinner and watch Monk..OK?
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:22 PM   #224
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Hey all,

I came home to drop off the smoker, Amy, and Collin for the night. I will be returning to the park later to camp for the night with Maccamper and CJ of OK.

Since both trailers were in view from the front of the house, I decided to knock down our privacy fence when we returned home. I then moved both the smoker trailer and 53 Flying Cloud back into the back yard. The cloud will stay here during restoration. I have a large number of pics, and I believe many others do as well. People will be posting for the next several days.

Thanks to everyone who showed up and made this a great event. Kudos to Laird, Nancy, and Steve for bringing lots of meat for the smoker. Thanks to everyone for contributing towards the food and pavilion.

I believe we had 17 trailers, and two forum members made it without trailers. The weather was amazing, and only rained 15 minutes the entire weekend when it called for thunderstorms all weekend long..

Tags
float, missouri, rally, summer, trip