Old 08-05-2008, 03:12 PM   #169
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Well............I think we are on the other side of those pesky medics and their son. Let's hope for another Airstream but if it should be an SOB I guess the thing to do would be to be ambassadors for Airstreamers and show them how much fun it is, and then maybe they would be going to Branson in their new Airstream.......??????? Infect them with aluminitus......hmmm??? After all, it is contagious!

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

http://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:39 PM   #170
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Fenton , Missouri
I just now got to being able to read the posts about going to Meramec. I've been in the AS. I put in a new AC unit, shocks and brakes. Mostly I want to work on all the fun little things like trying to make the shower curtain thing velcro to the wall and camping food. Sounds like we are all going to have a lot to talk about. I just looked back at the food list to see what to make and I need to think about it.

Is anyone familiar with fishing at Meremac? I camped and fished this past weekend at Lake Wapappello and didn't catch anything, well almost caught one. The heat was hurting the fishing. Not that I'm an expert or anything, that's just what they told me.
I'd like to be prepared to catch something this time. Any insights?

Old 08-06-2008, 01:03 AM   #171
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Just got in from 8 hours of working with Wiegand01 on his Airstream. We reinstalled the gauchos and installed a new laminate floor. I am BEAT. Pics will be forthcoming. He has also vouched for Alumatube's spot for the rally since he was on electric only.

Steve
Old 08-06-2008, 02:00 AM   #172
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by marblesyoga View Post
I just now got to being able to read the posts about going to Meramec. I've been in the AS. I put in a new AC unit, shocks and brakes. Mostly I want to work on all the fun little things like trying to make the shower curtain thing velcro to the wall and camping food. Sounds like we are all going to have a lot to talk about. I just looked back at the food list to see what to make and I need to think about it.

Is anyone familiar with fishing at Meremac? I camped and fished this past weekend at Lake Wapappello and didn't catch anything, well almost caught one. The heat was hurting the fishing. Not that I'm an expert or anything, that's just what they told me.
I'd like to be prepared to catch something this time. Any insights?
I don't know but I intend to find out. The park has a hatchery and is stocked on a daily basis so there should be fish to be caught.

Trout fishing at Marmaec spring park Meramec river

Old 08-06-2008, 02:35 AM   #173
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
I should say the hatchery is actually at Meramac Spring Park But we do intend to go there at least once while we are there, and also fish at the state park.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:57 AM   #174
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
If you got to the hatchery to fish take your own bait....The bait you get there they are used to and usually will bite very well on something different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
I don't know but I intend to find out. The park has a hatchery and is stocked on a daily basis so there should be fish to be caught.

Trout fishing at Marmaec spring park Meramec river
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:09 AM   #175
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Ribs, Spice Rub, and BBQ Sauce

Hey Steve, we're bringing four racks of spareribs unless you think six racks would be better. We have spice rub that we'll put on the ribs ahead of time -- unless you would prefer to use your own on your smoker. Laird will make up some Apple City Barbecue Sauce from Mike Mills' "Peace, Love and Barbecue" for a finishing sauce for the ribs. Plus, we'll bring the good ole Mike Mills' baked beans like we brought to Branson last April.

I'm seeing 15 forum members signed up for the rally. Does that sound like what you are seeing and hearing? Based on your experience, how many folks does that sound like for food planning?

We're looking forward to the rally -- and hoping for pleasant sunny days and cool nights. Oh yes, and good fishing weather for those who plan to fish.

Nancy and Laird
Old 08-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #176
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76sovereign View Post
If you got to the hatchery to fish take your own bait....The bait you get there they are used to and usually will bite very well on something different.
Usually in a state run hatchery location only certain baits are legal. We use rooster tails and there are other artificial worms and baits at Roaring River, they are very strict. I suspect the same is true at Meramec Springs. We will have to see what they allow.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:33 AM   #177
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Dang! Thanks for the tip. I would hate to spend that weekend in the Sullivan jail!
Quote:
Usually in a state run hatchery location only certain baits are legal. We use rooster tails and there are other artificial worms and baits at Roaring River, they are very strict. I suspect the same is true at Meramec Springs. We will have to see what they allow.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:47 AM   #178
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Dang! Thanks for the tip. I would hate to spend that weekend in the Sullivan jail!
Probably not jail but there are hefty fines and the game wardens are watching! Sometimes right next to you fishing and watching you! Sneaky, they are! There are different rules within the parks and outside, some areas are catch and release only and you really have to watch the signs that are posted.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:40 PM   #179
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccamper View Post
Hey Steve, we're bringing four racks of spareribs unless you think six racks would be better. We have spice rub that we'll put on the ribs ahead of time -- unless you would prefer to use your own on your smoker. Laird will make up some Apple City Barbecue Sauce from Mike Mills' "Peace, Love and Barbecue" for a finishing sauce for the ribs. Plus, we'll bring the good ole Mike Mills' baked beans like we brought to Branson last April.

I'm seeing 15 forum members signed up for the rally. Does that sound like what you are seeing and hearing? Based on your experience, how many folks does that sound like for food planning?

We're looking forward to the rally -- and hoping for pleasant sunny days and cool nights. Oh yes, and good fishing weather for those who plan to fish.

Nancy and Laird
Hey Nancy,

15 forum members is not accurate. Nohillgrish reserved three sites for himself and two friends, and I believe Tin Loaf has a couple sites. We have someone coming down as well. You don't worry about feeding everyone, others will pitch in as well!!!

Steve
Old 08-08-2008, 09:02 AM   #180
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Thanks for the heads up! My husband and I have fished off and on for 30 years and never really caught a thing except at the trout farm . We took our grand daughter and it cost us 70 bucks! Maybe we can learn some things at the rally
Quote:
Probably not jail but there are hefty fines and the game wardens are watching! Sometimes right next to you fishing and watching you! Sneaky, they are! There are different rules within the parks and outside, some areas are catch and release only and you really have to watch the signs that are posted.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:15 AM   #181
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up! My husband and I have fished off and on for 30 years and never really caught a thing except at the trout farm . We took our grand daughter and it cost us 70 bucks! Maybe we can learn some things at the rally
We are not experts by any means, we just have fun. We've learned a lot about trout and Jim has done some bass fishing. I guess the Meramec River has bass also, and I think the drive to MeramecSprings would be worth it. It is fun to fish at the state-run hatchery areas, the fishing is pretty good but you still have to try and outthink the trout. Not like the farms where you pay by the pound! And it shouldn't cost that much, you just have to have your license (or not if you are over 65) and a daily trout permit which costs $3.50 or so.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:06 PM   #182
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Trenton , Illinois
Steve,

This is the first rally for some of us. Could you tell us a little more about the "cook off" on Saturday.

Steve

Tags
float, missouri, rally, summer, trip