Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #3021
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Beautiful day!

Hi Everyone!
We have a sunny, beautiful warm day in NE Ohio! Larry is cleaning out the yard and we are getting ready to add more driveway space. Larry sold his semi tractor and trailers and we now have more yard space. We were gone from Jan. to the end of Mar. Went out to the SW and got to visit with some family and friends and some of our Silver family. It was our first time really camping off the grid for a few weeks at a time. Very fun and a little scarey at first.
The trip to SE Alaska was fabulous! Larry got some great, GREAT photos. We stayed with our best friends in Tenakee Springs for a month. You can only get there by boat, ferry or float plane! That was a very different kind of vacation for us. We loved the people and the lands up in the NW U.S.
We are going to spend some time in our area this summer. We ARE signed up to go to Alumapalooza and hope to see some of you there. Larry and I volunteered to do the "parking crew" jobs again this year. We had so much fun last time.
And our next camping adventure will be the weekend of Mother's Day. We are going to Penn Wood Airstream Park, Limestone, PA with our silver friends and family and anyone else that wants to join in.
I am making special "Airstream" signs. My friend, Ella, who is an experience camper, but new to Airstreaming (in her 16' Sport), inspired me to make some "signs" for the trailer crawl fun.
We are hoping to have some of you travel through and courtesy park with us this summer.
Throw on another log...that was a long story!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #3022
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Wow Lou - your travels have been vast - I bet Larry's photos are stunning!!!

No Rallies for me lately I am afraid...but perhaps when I am more settled and I get through this next month - I might be able to pull out - but can't pull out of this park until my feels for the season are paid for- which are due at the end of May. Hopefully I will have made enough by then - gessh hate not having the freedom to just pull out when I want - but only this year while I start out with NO funds - so I don't blame him for using my Trailer as a bit of security that I will pay my bill tee hee.

I am working on repurposing large skids - 4 4X8 to make a deck for my trailer.

It is a big job but free - just my own labour and I have to buy 6 cement deck support blocks and a can of stain.

I have had to make the extra slats from other skids and some of the poplar wood we still have - once it is stained it will be fine for a few years and hopefully not totally rot out on me in a year. But then maybe I can afford to buy a nice new deck by then. For now we do things on a shoe string budget.

So I am using the man tools today - cutting the lengths and then I have to take 1/4 inch off the thickness of each so doing that with table saw - ripping wood it is called - not my favourite as you cut blind into the wood - kind of scary - run it once through then flip it to run again and then poof like magic the slats are the right thickness to match the existing ones.

When that is done I will take the heavy duty grit sander and get rid of all the splinters and smooth out the edges. Then we will be good to stain.

I have to leave the slats that I have made off or I will never handle the skid. I have made a frame of 2x6 to drop the skids in flush. They will all be bolted together and it will look like a nice antique floor but outside - ha always like to be different.

Will have to stay an extra day here at the house to get it finished.

Nice visiting with Pete - he came back from his GF's to mow the lawn. We both sort of take turns in doing things around here to keep it looking nice but not very often do we land here at the same time.

He is doing much better and got good results from his Dr. today. A1C1 is back down to 7 from way over 13 and his insulin has been reduced even further. Down to 2 units with meals and 7 at night. I am very happy for him and just hope that he can really take care of himself now.

Well that is all my update...must post some photos of my little babies - unless you want to Carol - Pick your favourites and throw a few up for me - gotta get back at building my deck.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #3023
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Ps the fire is lovely - I stuffed my face with the mallows and smores YUM and my feet are now warm again....but I am aching from head to toe with all this labour - just not as young as I used to be...
Ha must be really weird Pete watching me do this and not stepping in and taking over ha ha ha....
Old 04-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #3024
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Airbiscuit Send a message via Yahoo to Airbiscuit Send a message via Skype™ to Airbiscuit
Well, we have been spring cleaning and trying to get things done. *sits in a chair close to the fire* We have had a busy april and may is about to get more busy. We got to camp at the 2nd annual tac ohio rally easter weekend and then have had repairs to do to the argosy before we head out again. We will be headed to pennwood with silver family & friends the 2nd weekend but have to get through a wedding that mike & i are both in... lord help us the bride will make it. *grabs a fork and starts roasting some white fluff*
Then its camping time as a reward for good wedding behavior. Ha! Then the cleveland marathon rally weekend, and memorial day weekend with the in laws. Some where in there mike & i will be starting a new journey to start our little family. We have finally got all the stars aligned and will begin ivf treatments before the end of may. Excited, nervous, hopeful... *eats a marshmallow* yeah. So our camping time will be limited this year to maybe 1 outting a month with an added stop at a close state park occasionally.
I have gotten to live vicariously through my rents as they have wondered the us the past year. Glad to have them home though.
Ok, I've checked in. Where is everyone else?!
* throws on a few more logs*
Old 04-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #3025
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thumbs up

WOW! That's so exciting Loren! A new silver bean in the silver family. No one will be able to follow this for news, that much is sure!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #3026
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbiscuit View Post
Well, we have been spring cleaning and trying to get things done. *sits in a chair close to the fire* We have had a busy april and may is about to get more busy. We got to camp at the 2nd annual tac ohio rally easter weekend and then have had repairs to do to the argosy before we head out again. We will be headed to pennwood with silver family & friends the 2nd weekend but have to get through a wedding that mike & i are both in... lord help us the bride will make it. *grabs a fork and starts roasting some white fluff*
Then its camping time as a reward for good wedding behavior. Ha! Then the cleveland marathon rally weekend, and memorial day weekend with the in laws. Some where in there mike & i will be starting a new journey to start our little family. We have finally got all the stars aligned and will begin ivf treatments before the end of may. Excited, nervous, hopeful... *eats a marshmallow* yeah. So our camping time will be limited this year to maybe 1 outting a month with an added stop at a close state park occasionally.
I have gotten to live vicariously through my rents as they have wondered the us the past year. Glad to have them home though.
Ok, I've checked in. Where is everyone else?!
* throws on a few more logs*
Congrats to you and good luck. So far this year we have yet to take a trip. Rusty Rivet is leaving on Thurs for a fishing trip to Montana with friends. While he is gone I guess I will start planning our trips. Plan on spending quite some time out this year. We have a new puppy that we will be able to pick up May 27th. When we bought our trailer 4 yrs ago, we had planned on our little gal traveling with us, but we lost her before she could make a trip. It was really hard on us, so it took us this long to add a new pup to our family. Very excited about getting her with us and taking her on her first trip.
So I am adding anoother log, and adding some glasses for wine and martinis. Seven layer dip and chips are almost ready. Good wishes to all for this summer traveling season. Susan
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #3027
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Olympia , WA
We loved the people and the lands up in the NW U.S.
We are going to spend some time in our area this summer. We ARE signed up to go to Alumapalooza and hope to see some of you there. Larry and I volunteered to do the "parking crew" jobs again this year. We had so much fun last time.
And our next camping adventure will be the weekend of Mother's Day. We are going to Penn Wood Airstream Park, Limestone, PA with our silver friends and family and anyone else that wants to join in.
I am making special "Airstream" signs. My friend, Ella, who is an experience camper, but new to Airstreaming (in her 16' Sport), inspired me to make some "signs" for the trailer crawl fun.
We are hoping to have some of you travel through and courtesy park with us this summer.
Throw on another log...that was a long story!

Hey Sharon and Carol. I just love to read your posts!! You are so spunky!!!!!! You inspire me to be goofy, fun-loving and self confident. Yes, you bring out that in me!!!

Lou, I'm going to the Alumapalooza too! I'm caravanning with one other gal, who also tows a 16' Bambi, plus our two navigators. We call ourselves Thelma & Louise and Lucy & Ethel. I'm Louise and we have a blog called "Four Women, Two Airstreams and One Amazing Trip". I can't wait!!! I would love to meet you and your hubby at the rally so I'll PM you with my info. It will be an honor to meet one of the Silver Sisters!!

That reminds me, are there any other Silver Sisters going to the Alumapalooza? Or do any of you live around or near that area in Ohio? it would be a blast to see if we can get a mini Silver Sisters gathering somewhere around there. Just dreamin'.

~Cari~
Carlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #3028
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Olympia , WA
(Some where in there mike & i will be starting a new journey to start our little family. We have finally got all the stars aligned and will begin ivf treatments before the end of may. Excited, nervous, hopeful...)

Wow, that is soooooooo neat!!! I'm so excited for you!!! Havin' kids is incredible!!! I wish you all the best for a happy and healthy pregnancy and birth!! (Yes I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I am so excited!!). I have a 31 y/o daughter and a 30 y/o son, who are my treasures on this earth and I can't get enough of them!! Yeah, I'm a sucker for kids!!

Carol, I forgot to mention, I love the fire!! What a wonderful and warm way to be together, in spirit!!! I love that everyone joined in and brought more wood, chairs, marshmellows and graham crackers!!!! I have a dozen big Hershey chocolate bars that I'll bring too!! Oops!! I mean 11. Somewhere, one went MIA.

Have a great day/night and I'll chat with you wild, wonderful, wacky women, later!!

Ciao,
~Cari~
Old 05-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #3029
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Olympia , WA
(Congrats to you and good luck. So far this year we have yet to take a trip. Rusty Rivet is leaving on Thurs for a fishing trip to Montana with friends. While he is gone I guess I will start planning our trips. Plan on spending quite some time out this year. We have a new puppy that we will be able to pick up May 27th. When we bought our trailer 4 yrs ago, we had planned on our little gal traveling with us, but we lost her before she could make a trip. It was really hard on us, so it took us this long to add a new pup to our family. Very excited about getting her with us and taking her on her first trip.
So I am adding anoother log, and adding some glasses for wine and martinis. Seven layer dip and chips are almost ready. Good wishes to all for this summer traveling season. Susan)

Hi Susan. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your sweet dog. Even though it was years ago, I can only imagine you still really miss her. I'm excited though, that you've got another little puppy to love!! How neat for you!!!

Hey Susan, so you live in Oregon. Do you belong to the Airstream Oregon Unit? Do we know each other? I'm Cari King. I tow a 16' Bambi Sport. Anyway, If I haven't met you, then Hello!! It's nice to see you here. If I have met you, then how cool!!!! It's fun to connect names on the forum with Airstreamers I meet! Oh and thanks for the martini's! I just love those!!

Ciao!

~Cari~
Old 05-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #3030
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Preeceville , Saskatchewan
Hi there! Is there room for another by this fire? You seem like such a great bunch! We just brought home our first AS yesterday! It is a 1965 Caravel. She is in fairly good shape and as soon as we got her home I started cleaning as it was pretty dirty in there (she sat for several years),, found a dead mouse and a dead bird :-( that I could have done without. On the upside found some original bits and pieces that we hadn't seen before. Looking forward to getting to know you better, it is nice to have a spot for "us girls".

Andrea
MissyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #3031
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Olympia , WA
[QUOTE=MissyT;1143665]Hi there! Is there room for another by this fire? You seem like such a great bunch! We just brought home our first AS yesterday! It is a 1965 Caravel. She is in fairly good shape and as soon as we got her home I started cleaning as it was pretty dirty in there (she sat for several years),, found a dead mouse and a dead bird :-( that I could have done without. On the upside found some original bits and pieces that we hadn't seen before. Looking forward to getting to know you better, it is nice to have a spot for "us girls".

Andrea

Welcome Andrea! I'm so glad you found us! Yes, there is always room at the campfire, so grab a chair and sit right down! Congrats on your new Vintage Airstream!! Sounds like you're already giving her a lot of TLC. I've read that there are numerous species found in old Airstreams that have laid too low, for too long. Good luck with all that! I'm excited for you and all the Airstream adventures you'll have!! Keep coming back by, for a fireside chat and letting us know how your project is going. Take care.

Ciao!!

~Cari~
Old 05-07-2012, 01:22 AM   #3032
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Lou I bet those signs will be great. Some of our new sisters haven't seen your artwork, crochet, handmade cards, banners, flags, signs, and all your creativity. Lou's a wonder and makes such special cards!!! If Larry gets the Alaska pics up online give us a link, OK? You and Larry will be great greeters and parkers. One of these years I may make it again. I loved the Homecomings!! JC rocks during festival.

Suzanne, this dip is delicious! We want to see pictures of the new pooch when you get to pick up your new fur baby!

Cari where's your blog? It will be fun to track your adventures. I will be living vicariously through your travels and cheering you on. That's awesome to have a trip that long and share it with more silver sisters. Oh the trouble, I mean fun you can get into. Just don't follow that Thelma and Louise thing too far. (We did see that canyon in Utah, Dead Horse was it?) Hey this chocolate is really good, no wonder one went MIA.

Andrea, hi! Glad to meet you too. Congratulations on the new 65 Caravel. That's a really sweet vintage unit. Can't wait to see what you do with it.Our Airstream had sat for a while unused and had critters too. Even the new ones get critters... but those are usually still alive.

photography
Old 05-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #3033
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Olympia , WA
Cari where's your blog? It will be fun to track your adventures. I will be living vicariously through your travels and cheering you on. That's awesome to have a trip that long and share it with more silver sisters. Oh the trouble, I mean fun you can get into. Just don't follow that Thelma and Louise thing too far. (We did see that canyon in Utah, Dead Horse was it?) Hey this chocolate is really good, no wonder one went MIA.

Carol, you are tooooo funny!! Yes, the chocolate was, I mean, is ..is good. I haven't had any yet. The only Thelma and Louise impersonations we'll be doing along the way, is lookin' hot, while we're drivin' down the road!!! If only I looked like Louise!!! Hooey baby!!Now your talkin' trouble!!! You can google the blog by putting in just the first 4 words; Four Women, Two Airstreams and One Amazing Trip. Yep, look out good ole US of A because the gals from Oregon are out on the loose!

Ciao sweet sistahs!!!

~Cari~
Old 05-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #3034
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Anyone in for some brownies with fudge frosting?? Just out of the oven. Good news is that it is zero calories here.
As soon as I get my little new fur baby I will post a picture (right after I figure our how). Beautiful day here in Oregon. My trailer is headed to Montana - without me. BooHoo. I'm tossing another log on the fire. Susan
Old 05-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #3035
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Preeceville , Saskatchewan
Yum! I'm in for the brownies, I need them today. It was tough to concentrate at work when I knew I had a new silver beauty sitting in my driveway that needs some TLC. Thank you for the generous welcome, wish I was going on that road trip, sounds like fun!
Had another critter issue today but it was alive and I own it. Bella kitty went exploring and got stuck somewhere around the stove /sink area.......it was ten stressful minutes, her meowing and me trying to figure out where the heck she went!! How about some wine to go with those brownies? I think I need that too!
MissyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #3036
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
We always seem to have wine and martini's around the campfire.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #3037
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
ha ya'll do know why I have been so quiet now don't you....Carol sent me for some twigs off that dang truck and I have been sitting over behind the table stuffing my gob with food - have not eaten in weeks

Seriously though...welcome MistyT - oh the memories you have triggered with the early days of my airstream experience...search "moonbeam" on here and you will see some crazy questions, and a transformation of a 69 GT. Also search "Flight of the Ladybug" for another good laugh. Now mind you things have changed quite a bit in our lives but the airstream follies we could have written a comedy series on.... you will have a great time planning and working on your 65 Carvel. I must say this forum was an absolute godsend with any and every question I came up with - still have them even with the new ones...

Man these brownies are freaking delicious!!!!

Must get some of that Black Current wine eh Carol - maybe I can employ PK to make me some at a price - at least I know I can get the strawberry chocolate port or whatever that potent stuff was...

Has been a busy week and my project was a large one that had me slaving away like a dog...and here is the result...
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC8373.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	1,017.8 KB
ID:	157827

Name:	_DSC8378.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	157829

Name:	_DSC8380.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	157830

Name:	_DSC8375.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	157828

Name:	Lot Panaramic.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	157831

So what do you think - looks pretty spiffy eh.

Now wait till I tell you what it is made of and how much it cost....

$56.73 - for 6 cement deck blocks.

4 4x8 skids better known as pallets and 56 custom slats to fill the open spaces. Left over 2x6's from the RV garage build.
I spent four days dragging the suckers out of the forest, washing or should say scrubbing. Then found some wood to make the new slats with. scrubbed and sanded them too.

Then Peter came home from his GF's - we have not worked on anything together in almost three years. Other than purging last summer - well I purged he watched.

Although it has been a tough road for both of us - we have not spent more than a day together for almost 1.5 years.

I hated to ask but I knew I needed his help and it gave us both a nice chance to catch up. So I hired him as my installer at this end. Got it in in a day and I drove him back.

I finished of installing the rest of the boards installed the step, moved the picnic table and put in my fire pit...so place is looking like I actually live there and not just spend weekends there...

If you want to see some amazing things - google pallet furniture...heck with a bit of elbow grease you never have to buy anything new again

Still trying to figure out the best place to put up my Airstream Drive road sign???

Sorry no plants in the pots yet - still a tad too cold up here. Nothing goes in pots until May 24 weekend. and then I don't think they will sit on the deck as they will ruin it. Haily has no more complaints about the steps into the trailer and neither do I!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #3038
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I had a lovely time meeting some Silver Sisters at Morro Bay. The dreary weather helped keep us together under or in whatever shelter was around. When I get a free minute, I'll add a Morro Bay entry to my Tin Pickle blog. Soon, I hope.

I haven't gotten much trailer work done this spring - the next project is to design and build a shot glass holder for the "bar" area that the top of the fridge seems to become every time we camp.

I have a few too many irons in the fire, the results of saying "That sounds like a great idea" too many times last fall. So I'm subbing as an 8th grade math teacher, spinning wool for a cooperative coverlet project (have to start warping the loom today, should have started weeks ago), and gathering paperwork and other necessities for herding a group of 15 middle schoolers on a tour of England for 3 weeks in July. Fortunately, I don't plan the tour logistics - I just count my group of kids to make sure that most all of them show up back at the coach at the end of the day.

I love the deck next to the trailer. We spend some extended time in one location some summers. Now you've got me thinking about what we could do to make the place look more like "home."
Old 05-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #3039
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Olympia , WA
Has been a busy week and my project was a large one that had me slaving away like a dog

So what do you think - looks pretty spiffy eh.

Now wait till I tell you what it is made of and how much it cost....

$56.73 - for 6 cement deck blocks.

4 4x8 skids better known as pallets and 56 custom slats to fill the open spaces. Left over 2x6's from the RV garage build.
I spent four days dragging the suckers out of the forest, washing or should say scrubbing. Then found some wood to make the new slats with. scrubbed and sanded them too.

Then Peter came home from his GF's - we have not worked on anything together in almost three years. Other than purging last summer - well I purged he watched.

Although it has been a tough road for both of us - we have not spent more than a day together for almost 1.5 years.

I hated to ask but I knew I needed his help and it gave us both a nice chance to catch up. So I hired him as my installer at this end. Got it in in a day and I drove him back.

I finished of installing the rest of the boards installed the step, moved the picnic table and put in my fire pit...so place is looking like I actually live there and not just spend weekends there...

If you want to see some amazing things - google pallet furniture...heck with a bit of elbow grease you never have to buy anything new again

Still trying to figure out the best place to put up my Airstream Drive road sign???

Wow!!! You are amazing and inspiring!! That looks so freakin' cool!!!
Old 05-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #3040
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Going to England Barbie that is so nice! I have always wanted to see England. My father's mother was from England. I love the pictures I see of the fields and stone walls and the quaint village pictures of cobblestone streets and buildings that are so interesting and rich in culture and history, not to mention castles and royalty. Do tell us all about your adventures.

Sharon your patio is fabulous. Great work. And now you gave me the bug to go out and have fun with my Airstream. (They don't call her Lady Bug for nothing.) See what you've done?! You've inspired me.

My summer of 2012 will be a mix of staycation, camping and work. This rural mom and pop establishment is local to both my job and to home. There is a 5 acre lake, trails and a nature center with live birds and goats. My campsite is the last picture, next to the camp store. Right now it smells like honeysuckle and the sound of birds fill the air. I intend to get some new tires for my bike and ride the trails at the municipal park nearby as well as the country roads and campground. I want to get some sun and shed some weight, build a little muscle and enjoy the peace and quiet. Also get in some reading. I'll be bringing Orie and he can swim in the lake too. Come vacation I will definitely tow to elsewhere. "Elsewhere is always better. It better be," quote from the Airstream documentary Roam Sweet Roam. Roam Sweet Home | Video Data Bank

photography