Old 12-17-2007, 09:49 PM   #1149
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
....speaking of snow.......

What a dumping we got on the weekend after two weeks of snow almost every day Sunday was a killer!!!

The Overlander partially cleared needed a break- and have to still shovel around the sides so that we can get a ladder in and then get the other side of the snow off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1112.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	51062

Can you guess what this is????

Name:	100_1133.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	51064

It would be our little car...now mind you it has the brunt of 3.5 weeks of snow and half of this fell on Sunday....

Name:	100_1140.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	51066

and then if we already have not had a bad enough year - our Carport caves in.

Name:	100_1118.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	51063

Insurance will cover it all but what a rotten time of the year to have the entire contents of our workshop having to be moved and new construction to be started in the middle of winter.

We are hoping to get a new RV/Car garage built by the summer.

This is sunday morning from bedroom window

Name:	100_1055.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	51068

Name:	100_1070.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	51069

And this is 8 hours later and still snowing -

Name:	100_1101.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	51070 managed to get the driveway just finished and thought I would be neighbourly and work on my neighbours driveway and got one pass done and blew the auger belt on the snowblower.....not much luck going on around her

We have not had snow like this in 6 years!!! And we are expecting rain next and then more snow....

But it is pretty!!!

Old 12-17-2007, 09:59 PM   #1150
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Tink Tink

Okay time to stoke up that camp fire - so I have brought a small bottle of Blackcurrent Merlot and another wee bottle of Zinfindel Blush for your evening pleasure ladies...

Name:	100_0987.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	51071

No need for glasses - just pull up a seat and a straw

Old 12-17-2007, 10:20 PM   #1151
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
new and on the way

I am just figuring out how to navigate this thread but i want to join in on this fun and sit around that campfire!! I am just now looking to buy an Airstream so i can run away from home next summer. My last child will be going to college then and i plan to live in the AS indefinitely --- I am single and like it that way...working on enlightenment....and taking in the beauty si please keep in touch as i unfold this new adventure, I am open to suggestions and the voices of experience. Thanks for being there
Jane
Old 12-17-2007, 10:24 PM   #1152
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
A Big Warm Welcome to you Jane!!!

Did you bring a straw with you - no Airstream needed during the winter

So tell us all about what you are looking for in your First Airstream???

And if you have any questions whatsoever just fire them out - I am sure between us all here we can help you in some way....

PS would you like to do a house exchange right about now - I see you are a Texas Gal - need a bit of snow???
Old 12-17-2007, 10:36 PM   #1153
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Thanks

Thank you! I am looking for am AS that is 19--22 feet -- light as possible and i would love to see it before i buy it so someting close by Houston would be great also.....Houston is warm..we could use some snow but the fools here would all run of the road. It was 82 last week and we had a blast of cold air that lasted 15 minutes. it was thrilling.

please keep an eye and ear out for me... and just give me advice --- i hardly know enough to even ask the right questions...
But i love the idea of silver sisters and sharing growth and life experences that to me is what this is allll about. Count me in ---
Jane
Old 12-17-2007, 10:45 PM   #1154
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Well you are in a great spot to find the nice and dry Vintage Units - they are the lightest....

The new sport models are light but they have some pay load maximum weight issues - can't seem to carry too much before she reaches maximum.

We are fixing up a little 1963 19' Globe Trotter

Here is the thread that we are posting to with her progress:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f135...bug-30272.html

There are inspectors that can help you - they are from this forum there is a list compiled but I will have to go and find it - tomorrow though I am about to leave the campfire - am exhausted from clearing all that snow today
Old 12-17-2007, 11:02 PM   #1155
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Inspectors!!?

this website has a list of inspectors hat can check a unit far far away?? this is the coolest site i have ever seen!
Keep me posted and keep an eye out for me.
Jane
Old 12-17-2007, 11:09 PM   #1156
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Welcome Jane!

We have a nice cozy campfire here! All are welcome! We know that you can tow anything that your tv can pull. The silver sisters here have lots of different kinds of ASs that are nice and some that are pretty good sized ones. You may have to read a bunch of posts, but you will get lots of good advice and you will see many very beautiful ones that our Silver Sisters have.
Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:12 PM   #1157
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello Sharon.... Are you kidding about the garage??? That is the pits....
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:49 AM   #1158
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hi Jane welcome! I hope you find all the information you need to move ahead into your Airstream. This is a great forum, glad you are here and a terrific thread to have fun and learn and share with your sisters. It's a good bunch of ladies and all fun loving and adventurous.

Hey Lou may I have one of those pretzel rods you have in the Argosy? I hate to send you running back in the cold but I will grab you a mug of spiced cider and have it waiting for you. Thank you.

Sharon you aren't stoking the fire with that walking stick of yours are you? tee hee Just kidding, I know you found that stir stick on your hike before the snow fell. We will just have to open that MEGA bottle of red on your counter and toast to a generous insurance inspector to come your way. Oh dear, you did have a bad streak of events. I am so sorry about the collapse of your garage. If I hadn't seen your pictures I would not have dreamt of the impact and all that heavy snow. You are a hardy one getting out there and shoveling and now to have to move all those contents. But for now, tonight at the fire take some time to rest and sit a spell.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:21 AM   #1159
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Jane - here is the link to the Volunteer inspector thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...tor-22956.html

As well thought this thread might be an interesting read for you as well
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...ers-19484.html

BRRR bit chilly here this morning 18F anyone have a few logs that are not buried under 3 feet of snow???

Snow has that late January crusty sound to it and it really smelsl like the dead of winter already - any real winter people out there - will know that smell and the sound to as you hear nothing then cabin fever starts to set in .......oh my and we are only a week away from Christmas... How did that happen....

All the outdoor Christmas decorations are in the Garage - guess they will be hauled away this morning.

Best get cracking - still have to shovel a path for the workers, put the coffee on and get a bit presentable - have overnight "hat head" as it is called

Sure could use some nice hot Quaker Oat cereal this morning

Wonder if they make hats with built in ear muffs

Carol - that sure would be nice to get an extra bit of padding to that silver lining LadyBug sure would apprciate it.

My Stick and fire - a real bad combination - nope she has never poked a fire before...

The Merlot is a nicer batch than the summer time - and the Zinfendel is aging nicely - another week and she will be great too. Unless we can borrow Marvin and Annies Ager?

Gee Annie and Marvin I sure wish we were jocking on our garage. I know it is not much of a garage but it was more permanent than temporary. Of course it served more of a big workshop than a garage too that makes it more of a huge inconvenience than anything else - we are in and out of there doing this and that almost every other day. Even toughing out the winter in there on various projects.

Today will be quoting day and see what the new permanent garage will cost us and building permit process and the works...Thank Goodness we don't need any Minor Variances where we are thinking of putting it - there is lots of room. Just lots of bad trees and more breaker run to bring in. Hope the trucks still run. And lots of workers who will tough out the winter that we have going on here right now
Old 12-18-2007, 08:41 AM   #1160
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Wow, so much has happend on here, im speechless!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:02 PM   #1161
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I missed a day or two on here and look at what's happening! Welcome, Jane...so glad to have a new sister here around the fire. We eat and drink well, as you'll see if you read back over the thread, and even wax poetic occasionally Best of luck in your Airstream/Argosy search. I hope you find one close by that you can see and touch yourself before purchasing, but do research the "inspector" lists since you may find someone with some experience who can go along with you. Ooh, Sharon...your snow pictures have been beautiful, post card pretty, but this came too much! I can't imagine worrying about your Airstreams holding up under the load, but to lose your garage and have all that fall in on your workshop...wish we could wrinkle our noses and zip up there to help you haul and sort. I don't believe our virtual assistance will do much good right now. You have shown such resiliance with challenges before this, and we know you'll weather this too, but consider yourself propped up with hugs from all your campfire sisters today. Best wishes, ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #1162
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
.....ahhhh done for today....never a dull moment around this camp fire

Lets see...

First order was to get all the vehicles and parking spots sorted out - and a plan on where to put the content trailer - that meant MORE SNOW to be shoveled as the SnowBlower is out of commission (belt on order will be a week - but of course it would be )

Name:	100_1159.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	51103

If we put this car here and that trailer there and then moved this car over here then the other trailer could go there and then we can move the other car back and you can still get out, they can get in with their truck and trailer and....... well you get the picutre...Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1156.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	51101Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1157.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	51102

For those of you who are really lucky in getting away to the CanOpener - I just might have a real treat for you....You think I could make it down with that landscape trailer full of snow

A quick assessment Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1152.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	51099 I can only imagine what that fellow was thinking - why do these people have this junk!!! (the old bulk head cupboards and walls from LadyBug - kept for templates and now we don't know if they will survive )

An access route was determined - a new door at the front - through the side wall will be just dandy Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1155.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	51100 and the 6 hour job was begun.

We have another shed where we keep the snowblower and several other Airstream parts and our Summer garden furniture. It will take a few items that we need on a regular basis - but there was more.....Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1161.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	51104 shoveling to be done...I quit after the first lot

So here is the ironic thing - the stuff that looks like it is "garbage" is what is holding the garage up right now good old 1963 Globe Trotter Cupboard doors and the bulkheads and partician walls...Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1162.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	51105Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1171.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	51107Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1176.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	51108

Now we wait for the damage and replacement quote to come in. Once the funds are received the next day we will place the order on the new garage just for LadyBug!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	0164428.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	51109 We are going to go for a 30x36x20 dual garage workshop. The RV bay will have a door on both ends so we can just pull right through. We can finally say goodbye to ALL the elements and work on our trailers and get them finished.

Gosh I will be peddling my wares for the rest of my life to pay for all what we need right now there goes the new Sport Model Safari I wanted tee hee just joking.