Old 12-15-2007, 07:08 AM   #1135
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1963
And a Double wow - on the Grandparents scene - just in time for retirement... what are you again - Gumpa and Grammy????
Bumpa! tee hee from one of Brad's favorite movies, circa 1962 "Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation."

Roger Hobbs (Jimmy Stewart) is the harried father who longs for a quiet holiday with his wife (Maureen O'Hara) but in the end goes along with her wish to have a family reunion, which turns out to be far from ideal. It's a great family comedy. The young grandson says, "I don't like Bumpa." Mr. Hobbs asks who is Bumpa and is told it's his given grandparent name. "Bumpa?" he says to himself almost incredulously in an undertone, struggling with all the visitors' suitcases. Later his grandson says, "I don't like you!" Mr. Hobbs replies, "why you little creep." Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, now doesn't it?

Roger Hobbs: "There ought to be an un-Edison, an un-Thomas Alva Edison who un-invents things, and the first thing they ought to un-invent is that television." Or in our case now video games! These will be our 4th and 5th grandchildren.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51B8ZVB6R3L.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	50898  
Attached Images

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:16 AM   #1136
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Carol, congratulations all around! I like your style...so, will you be caravanning across the USA? ~G

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:02 AM   #1137
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks G. I hope we do, we can travel together, switch Airstreams or pets, meet or separate, shack up in one or go our own ways or just come back home or even meet along the legs of different destinations. This really will be a major learning experience and experiment for the two of us. We are gearing up for the Can Opener but closing up shop at home. Once the rally is over I doubt either of us will be ready to head straight back home. Since the animals are with us and no one is left behind in Michigan we are free to be spontaneous. If it doesn't work, well we will find that out, but I anticipate some really good times in the interum. We have the time and health to do it now. It's a good scary feeling but we have all the fail safe nets left in place. Neither of us is ready to commit to fulltiming but I think this gives us the best opportunity to be out and away for longer periods and see what it is like and what we can do or would like to do. We are definitely not home bodies. Too much out there to sit home and watch tv and dust... at least for next month.

photography
Old 12-15-2007, 11:32 AM   #1138
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Congratulations Carol on the grandbabies and the new trailer! How exciting and fun for you both! Dave and I were talking about being campground hosts at the Smokies someday when we are free to do that. I love that the hosts get full hook ups in these gorgeous scenic parks!

Laura I hope you are feeling better after your fall. Its a bummer falling on ice.

Sharon what a hoot about the hot tub! Probably not so fun cleaning it out though. We picked up a similar one for grandma at Pt Pelee NP it wasn't curvy though yours looks fun!!
Old 12-15-2007, 11:47 AM   #1139
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Everything has a story to it

A walking stick is a very important apparatus....I do need to rig something up for the bottom soon - or it will start to fray.

I wanted one that was comfortable to hold - either use as a walking side stick - or just to carry for security purposes....A- when walking on ice - something a little more substantial that a ski pole and B - something with a bit of weight to ward off any unsuspecting wild animals - (lucky so far) C- when walking through old brush - dead twigs can play havock on the eyes and face so it acts like a safari stick really like a dead branch machetti.

It has been known to launch golf balls into the bush as well as stones or snow balls for the dogs to go hunt for.....it is an air bat for the bullrushes (cattails) to send the seeds a drift..it acts as a shoulder yoke to give my arms a rest in swinging on long walks. Serves as my support and my leg up in deep snow and if I am in a springy mood a dance stick - in the lonely moments out in the middle of no where with not a single sound but the dogs paws crunching in the snow....not so good as twirling batton hurts too much ......and that is the story of my stick....

Name:	100_0990.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	50902
Old 12-15-2007, 11:52 AM   #1140
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
That story is nothing to shake a stick at Sharon.
Grandma's has a rubber tip at the end like for canes, I saw some in the store as I was going to replace it--we use it on trails a lot too.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:09 PM   #1141
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
A Stick with a Rubber on it - tip that is not touching that one with a 10" pole

Sorry gals - just a byproduct of life and my terrible humour and a frisky walk or is that a brisk walk.....
Old 12-15-2007, 12:42 PM   #1142
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Hi Sharon,

Would you believe I've got one of those 'sticks' too!..Steve made one for himself and me when we go just walking in our own neighborhood..sometimes there are 'wild' coyotes, or loose dogs on the prowl and I like that little bit of 'buffer zone' between them and me!..any we did put one of those chair leg rubber tips on the ends..but they get worn fast!
Old 12-15-2007, 02:21 PM   #1143
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Sharon, read back over your post 1139 where you are enumerating all the different uses for your unique walking stick. Do you see what I see? In that single post,you have written a charming "nature" childrens' picture book with very simple text and rich imagery. I hope you follow up on this with a "nature" book or children's publisher. My little ones would have loved turning the pages and seeing the next way your walking stick was used. I really think you should. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:26 PM   #1144
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Walking sticks help stabilize when hiking on narrow trails with a backpack 40 + lbs full of gear and squirming kid! Yes Sharon, you have a great talent writing as Georgia mentioned hope your book project gets published!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hike to grotto falls.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	50912  
Old 12-15-2007, 09:12 PM   #1145
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
All is good Steph, so what's going with everyone?
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:41 AM   #1146
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Well thanks for the kind words about my writing - I just have a silly imagination sometimes. and far too much time on my hands.....

I still have my music to finish to some final satisfaction - still waiting on my new computer. The new software has arrived several weeks ago but not much good without the computer It has been on back order and looks like I may be lucky if I get it before Xmas - but more likely to arrive after the holidays at this rate. I would like to try and finish that chapter so to speak - before I move onto my children's book ideas. Perhaps I will share, later a really short story outline with you ladies to see what you think

I actually have a full 5 episode series lined up in my head - along with another very unique series of adventure/romance - not sure if this serious would be for kiddies or adults - I am thinking maybe both possibly and write two separate series.

Anyway - lots of ideas and lots of time to do it - so life is good...
Old 12-16-2007, 12:49 AM   #1147
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Wow - if we have not had enough snow by now - they are now calling for another 14 inches to fall between now and tomorrow evening

~G I will have to include most definitely a few "winter wonderland" scenes or chapters in my books

Had company tonight for dinner - had no decorations up yet so the little Palm tree

was set up quickly along with a couple of tree ornaments that I have out all year round... This one I just bought the other day - as a reminder of NOT being able to be a snowbird this year tee hee...

Name:	100_1003.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	50957
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_996.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	50958  
Old 12-16-2007, 01:36 AM   #1148
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Paula is sculpting (and I love the little duck especially) and Sharon is writing, and bottling wine, I know Steph must be cooking wonderful new recipes. This is like a creative woman's guild. I love seeing the pictures and hearing all.

Now the snow hasn't started here yet but I am hoping to see some white again. If it does ever accumulate here we may just take our sleds to a hill.

We have never walked with a stick but we have two that a friend gave us. One of the reasons I don't carry a tripod though is because I trip myself when I try. But now that I know they are good for holding critters at bay it sounds like a good idea. Neat waterfall trail picture Steph, 40 pound backpacks, oh my!!! I have trouble just lifting my back end up off the chair!

Laura how's the elbow?

G are you home or have you gone south already?

photography