Old 10-22-2007, 09:21 PM   #967
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudruff
Hi Sharon! Nice Fall shots! I did not take any of the Dillon State Park but it was gorgeous there. Lots of red and bright orange. I was sitting around the fire and wondering how Peter is doing. Is he still on the mend? And how about your mom? We had a great weekend. And we are hoping to get in one more before we have to winterize!
Thanks for the Cudos on the pics Cody and Lou! - helps having a great subject and surroundings

Lou - Peter is doing much better now - looks 100% better, feels about 75% now so well on the mend. We are still holding out waiting on the insurance company to cover his new insulin pump and 24/7 glucose monitor to a tune of almost 10K. Should know in another couple of weeks. He is using a loaner pump right now.

Mom is also feeling much better - with her hemoglobin rising weekly - she is now back over 105 from being as low as 61!!! they want to see her at 110. Her iron levels are also rising now, once she had another iron infusion following her surgeries. They have had her in for a follow-up and things seem to be holding....

Thanks so much for asking - it has been quite a summer - but things seem to be settling now - just in time for us all to weather out the winter months

I am still enjoying playing with recording new compositions. Have been working a bit on the LB, (actually Peter is out there putting the wheel well covers back and riveting the ceiling panel - it was just tacked up - we ran out of rivets I might do a bit tomorrow on her.....

Old 10-23-2007, 09:13 AM   #968
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Sharon, let us know how the glucose monitor works for Peter, please. We (Max, the doctor, and I) have tried to persuade our son, now 40 and diabetic since 4) to have the monitor so he has warnings of his highs and lows, but he is adamantly opposed to anything "attached" to him. Sigh. We think this is the most helpful new development, but would appreciate some feedback that might help Steve see this in a new light. Thanks, and best wishes for continued improvements! ~G

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:27 AM   #969
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
Sharon, let us know how the glucose monitor works for Peter, please. We (Max, the doctor, and I) have tried to persuade our son, now 40 and diabetic since 4) to have the monitor so he has warnings of his highs and lows, but he is adamantly opposed to anything "attached" to him. Sigh. We think this is the most helpful new development, but would appreciate some feedback that might help Steve see this in a new light. Thanks, and best wishes for continued improvements! ~G
Hi Max;
Peter has been on the Insulin Pump since 2001 - He said it was the best thing since sliced bread! It was a bit getting used to having the infusion set - but after a bit he said it was way better than having to take so so many needles all the time.

The actual pump is just like a pager - Peter wheres his on his pant belt or clips it to his pants. - the very thin IV like tube is long enough that it just tucks under the clothes and gives lots of room to move. Peter is very active in sports and outdoor activities.

On the end of things - it is never a bother don't even know it is there!!! The pump disconects with just a click. The infusion set location is also by choice - Peter has his on his lower stomach - basically compared to a large 1.5 inch band-aid.

Peter would have been about Steves age when he switched to the pump. Peter was doing everything he could to control his sugars - but just could not - then his doctor recommend the pump. What a huge instant!!! difference it made. Having a constant basil rate of insulin instead of the long acting needles which are not as consistent.

Now Peter is running into the same issues with testing - as he ages he needs to test so much more now - and in his new job it is just not the best of situations. So instead of testing 7-10 times per day he will have a second infusion set the size of a quarter that tests his blood over 600 times a day and fires off the readings to the pump - which in turn will alarm if he is going low or high. It is not automatic - it still gives the person the control of dosing (which is a good thing).

The only pump on the market that has the 24 hour glucose realtime monitoring is the Paradigm system by medetronic. (that we know of anyway) Peter has their old 508 pump - but they have now discontinued them - and there are a few pumpers in a tizzy right now - because they can not get service - but they are working on it and things with the company are suppose to be changing....

None the less perhaps Peter could talk to Steve - Guys are a funny breed - they don't listen to anyone unless it comes straight from the horses mouth - and you just never know who that "horse" will be.

For longevity with Diabetes Type 1 - the 40's is the pinical age to have the best control possible!!! I can not encourage you enough try and convince Steve to change if his doctors are on board with him changing over.

I can take pictures if you like for Steve to see - of the infusion set on Peter and where he keeps his pump...
Old 11-08-2007, 06:16 PM   #970
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Campfire for a November evening?

Hey sisters, I'm tossing a log on the fire, no fire bans here unlike our recent trip south. Can I share some photos of one of my fave spots at Shenandoah NP? It was an overlook on the Frazier Discovery trail. I wish the photos did all the colors justice we were in rain and fog, and I've got a lot to learn about photography!! It was so awe inspiring to look down and see the skyline drive twisting around and the valley far below.

Hope everyone is well! Carol how was your trip to WI??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FDT4.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	49003   Click image for larger version

Name:	trail view.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	49004  

Old 11-08-2007, 06:33 PM   #971
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Hi Steph,

Beautiful view and family!
Old 11-08-2007, 10:56 PM   #972
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hey Steph...

those are fabulous pics girl - whatchu talking about....

I bet it was really breath taking from up there - and really scary with little Sam up on that peak - YIKES.

Well we are getting our first snow - oh brother it is here!! not sure what they are calling for - so it may or may not accumulate...

Perfect timing on the log on the fire....

OMG I just noticed this...w) a wally smile yea ha!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 07:12 PM   #973
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Great pictures, Steph. Were you there at peak foliage? I've heard Shenandoah is breathtaking in the fall.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:20 PM   #974
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
Great pictures, Steph. Were you there at peak foliage? I've heard Shenandoah is breathtaking in the fall.

-J
hi J,

oh, shenandoah, I long to hear you....beautiful song to go w/the pix!
Old 11-10-2007, 05:28 PM   #975
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Hi codybear! Back atcha with the lovely tune. I'd really like to take that drive through Shenandoah NP some year.

What've you (and all the S.S. crowd) been up to lately? We just finished up winterizing the Bambi today. A little late this year, but still done before the big freeze. She's all tucked in now 'til the spring.

Thanks for getting the November campfire goin', Tin Sista. Anybody got any fresh baked goods to go with the hot cocoa this evening?

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:38 PM   #976
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Just had a piece of fresh baked apple pie, love to share, pull up some log and put out your plate!!
Old 11-10-2007, 05:43 PM   #977
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
How about a visual on the Camp Fire......and some fresh baked Bread Pudding....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6207.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	49129  
Old 11-10-2007, 06:19 PM   #978
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I don't have any pastry or sweet to share, but if you're in need of some rib-sticking, warming comfort food around the fire, dip up a serving from my pot of ham and beans, two days old and full of flavor. Here, crumble up a slice of cornbread on top. Yum! I'm looking forward to the Sister's gathering again after everyone's busy summers. Gypsy is winterized and snoozing out by the barn, getting a good rest before we wake her up for the drive (I hope not slide!) down south to the Can Opener on Jan. 2. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:20 PM   #979
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words! Yes Jamie it was lovely the colors were great, it was just foggy and rainy when we were there, but I just loved the colors. Its definitely worth a trip. I love that song Paula! Please pass the pie...

A few years ago we camped in Front Royal in a campground right on the Shenandoah river, it was great, all the kids were tubing from one end of the campground frontage to the other.

Nice campfire Sharon!! Bread pudding, yum !! Oops just saw Georgia's post, corn bread and beans, oh that's perfect!! Its surely crockpot weather here.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:52 PM   #980
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Hi Sisters!

Our little minuet is all tucked in for winter. We will be able to do some cool driveway camping if we get the urge. The barn makes it nice and cozy. The campfire looks lovely Sharon...thanks for throwing on another log! Yummy Fall foods sound great! We were watching the kids stack up piles of leaves and jump in them today. Most are down on the ground, but the ones still on the trees are the lovely orange shades. I am started on the hunt for Christmas ideas. Anyone crafting???

Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote