Old 09-09-2007, 11:21 PM   #925
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
wow, this thread has moved a lot!

Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:26 PM   #926
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Yup! Fall is in the AIR!! It's 60* as I make ready to hit the hay. I happen to think of another tastey campfire treat popular with my girls when they were little. You take biscuits from a tube, cut them in 1/2's or 1/4's, flatten slightly, and wrap them around the tines of a marshmallow stick. After they are baked & lightly browned, remove from the stick, dunk in melted butter/marg. and roll in cinnamon & sugar mixture. Yummy! (A small table top grill works great and may be safer for younger children)

sue

2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:34 PM   #927
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Hi Sue,

Wow, that sounds sooo yummy..butter, cinamon and sugar!..thnx for the great recipe..oh yes, the tube biscuit too!..paula
Old 09-10-2007, 08:10 AM   #928
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Apple cider donuts anyone?? Its that time of year...

There's a local bakery that makes apple cider donuts this time of year and Sunday was season opener......mmm don't think they'll last long. Isn't apple season great?

Hey Sue that is a great idea for a campfire treat, I'll try it out on our little guy!

Carol your Dave Winnick door is so cool!! Love those photos!!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:36 AM   #929
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
now im hungry
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:39 AM   #930
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
The story of Rosie the Riveter is on pbs. tonite check local listings.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:31 PM   #931
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks Paula. Will try to find it. I bet that will be great! I have dish but not sure what channel to search.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 03:09 PM   #932
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Hi Carol,

I googled pbs and this excerpt came up from the pbs. Nightly Business Report..maybe this is what what the trailer pertained to:

"Last Word"-Remembering Rosie The Riveter
SUSIE GHARIB: And finally tonight, in case you wondered, there really is a Rosie behind Rosie the riveter. The woman in the bandana and overalls became an iconic figure during World War II when she went to work building airplanes. The real Rosie was Rose Leigh Monroe, a widowed mother of two. She took part in a promotional film about the war effort and her image and the slogan "we can do it" put her center stage. After the war, Monroe became a pilot, drove a taxi, even started her own construction company. She died in 1997. Now, Paul, a highway in her native state of Kentucky is being named after her.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:05 PM   #933
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Rosie

Hi Sisters,
I saw the cover of Time magazine today. The new Rosie is really good ('cept for the tattoo ) but IMHO the original Rosie hasn't lost a bit of luster. It is possible, however, that I've had more years to remember Rosie than probably all of you. Nostalgia and all that I guess.

sue

p.s. btw, the "dough boys" (biscuit dough w/butter, cinnamon & sugar) are good!
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Old 09-12-2007, 10:48 PM   #934
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Hi Sue,

Can't wait to get to the campground fire to try the 'dough boy'!
re: Rosie, my mother-in-law was a Rosie at Travis AFB here in CA..and she's short enough to get inside to do all that riveting!..she shared that she also went to the USO shows too!!..think she's led a pretty exciting life in her younger days!
Old 09-13-2007, 12:01 AM   #935
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Hey sisters! I just love these stories!!

I love Rosie old and new too! Paula what a great story!! My mom remembers her mother putting on the bandana over her hair and taking a bus to the factory to work during the war. (She got a kick out of Rosie being our role model for ladies who tow!)
Her dad worked nights at Detroit Edison, and they had a victory garden in the middle of what is now a freeway.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:18 AM   #936
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear
Hi Sue,

Can't wait to get to the campground fire to try the 'dough boy'!
re: Rosie, my mother-in-law was a Rosie at Travis AFB here in CA..and she's short enough to get inside to do all that riveting!..she shared that she also went to the USO shows too!!..think she's led a pretty exciting life in her younger days!

That is so cool! What does your "personal Rosie" think of our borrowing the WE CAN DO IT attitude and making it work on a personal level in the 21st century? Those women were really something and looking back, WAY ahead of their time it would seem. I'm glad we picked Rosie as our "mascot" - and for more than just the rivet connection.

Ummm.....let's see.....young woman, USO shows, SERVICE MEN. Yeh, I can see that adding up to some fun times even in the midst of the war and the hardships and heart aches it brought to those on the homefront.

A Rosie without a gun & rivets, my own mother worked in a GM foundry in Saginaw, MI. I think cleaning engine castings after they came out of the sand cores. Everything had to do with the war effort - no automobiles were being made then. There was also a GM plant (#2) there that was converted over to make machine guns. Even a testing range was in a basement area . It happens that Ike worked at plant #2, commonly known as "the (old) gun plant", for most of his 36 years with GM/Delphi before retirement.

That's all from the History Network for now! (quizzie tomorrow - bring #2 pencil and paper to class)

suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Old 09-13-2007, 01:25 AM   #937
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Suz and Steph,

I got from my mother-in-law, that she loved her young adult years, before she got married!..one day early in Steve and my dating years, she brought out her photo albums of all the friends she hung out with having fun with them at the USO shows, dancing with her young suitors, going bowling, cruising, and other activities she shared with her friends..kind of ironic, though, she was raised in the city, found love, and left the city for the country and married a farmer!..(kind of reminiscent of Eva Gabor and Eddie Albert's Green Acres)..all those furs, high heels put away for later, I guess!..her new life became filled with being a good housewife, helping raise 4 kids, feed the chickens and geese!..but she still talks about the good 'ole days!
Old 09-18-2007, 11:06 AM   #938
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
I love the Rosie Theme...it is all about pulling it up and getting it done no matter what fears or anxiety you are facing....but the best thing it was women who grouped together like no other can... The support factor is beyond the other (not to be-little) just on a different scope...hmmm without the ego and pride factor - perhaps

My Mom was not so involved in the War efforts - and remembered her days of the war being frightened and shuffled into the air raid shelters of London England. She distinctly remembered the nurses tending to all the children. And went on to become an RN and practised all her life in the efforts of those in need of care and later specialized in those children who were not so fortunate to have been born "perfect".......................

My Mum has had a tough past three months and we have almost lost her a couple of times - (I have been just a bit too pre-occupied to frequent the forums as much as I would like to) They have finally found the source of bleeding after about a year of tests and various drugs. They have now taken the necessary procedures to "plug" her up so to speak She has been holding and actually climing in hemoglobin these past 3 weeks and seems to be out of the woods We can all breath a little easier.

There is just a bond between Mothers and Daughters - however distant it is there and always will be........."Women"