Old 03-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #645
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Exclamation no longer looking

WE HAVE DONE IT ! We have joined the "club" by placing an order for our new 20 foot Safari SE.
Release from the factory is scheduled for April 17 with delivery to our dealer in Owosso on April 20 or 21. I am so excited I can hardly stand it.

However after we ordered our new TV yesterday my reaction was more PANIC OMG what have we DONE?

Feeling better today

However we are still left with the question of what hitch to buy?
There seems to be no concensus on the forums between the Equil-i-zer and the Reese Dual Cam. The opinion seems to be "six of one half dozen of the other " - - -

What do you gals here use on your trailers, and why did you choose that hitch, and how do you like it?

uluwene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:09 PM   #646
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Congratulations, Uluwene! The 20' sounds like a great choice. Can't wait to see your pics.

What kind of tow vehicle do you have?

We have the Equal-i-zer hitch. We used to have a Reese-type hitch on our older trailer, so that's all I can compare it too. But we went with Equal-i-zer for our new trailer for some simple reasons: 1) it's what our dealer sold so they could set us up and get us going easier and faster, 2) it was less expensive than Reese (just slightly), and 3) it seemed a little bit simpler to us and every bit as good. I'm sure whichever you decide to go with, it will be just fine for your TV and new Safari!

Good luck!

-J

Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:29 PM   #647
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Uluwene, 20 ft perfect size. You will love it. ENJOY the moment.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:17 PM   #648
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by uluwene
...our new 20 foot Safari SE.
Is this the cool David Winnick one? I LOVE that one...very nice! I also think you will be happy with the 20-foot...it's basically just a tad bigger than ours - we love it!

Have fun counting down the days, hours & minutes ~

TimeLeft - Free clock, reminder, countdown, stopwatch, timer, sticker, auction watch and time synchronization utility using Winamp skins to show digits and text.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:17 PM   #649
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Is this the cool David Winnick one? I LOVE that one...very nice! I also think you will be happy with the 20-foot...it's basically just a tad bigger than ours - we love it!

Have fun counting down the days, hours & minutes ~

Countdown Clock

Shari

Old 03-14-2007, 03:28 PM   #650
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California

And just a tad smaller than our '64 safari!..that's terrific news for you!
Old 03-14-2007, 03:44 PM   #651
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Congratulations, Uluwene! We use the Reese and have been very pleased with it for our 30 footer. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:57 PM   #652
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
You did it! Congratulations Nancy. Hope we get to rally together often and look forward to seeing your new unit. Shari I think it's the floorplan with the permanent bed up front crossways then the door, dinette across from the fridge, with the L-shaped galley that curves across the back(with all that counter space!) and the new dry bath on the other side. Is that the one Nancy? (We got to meet and chat at Lou's Underground Basement Rally) What color/upholstery did you order?

We have the Reese Dual Cam and like it very much. It's very easy to hook-up and does not have to be adjusted after initial set-up. I don't know anything about the Equalizer, but may I suggest you go to the hitch place and try the different hook-ups to decide if you are unsure which would suit you better.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:42 AM   #653
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
You did it! Congratulations Nancy. Hope we get to rally together often and look forward to seeing your new unit. Shari I think it's the floorplan with the permanent bed up front crossways then the door, dinette across from the fridge, with the L-shaped galley that curves across the back(with all that counter space!) and the new dry bath on the other side. Is that the one Nancy? (We got to meet and chat at Lou's Underground Basement Rally) What color/upholstery did you order?

We have the Reese Dual Cam and like it very much. It's very easy to hook-up and does not have to be adjusted after initial set-up. I don't know anything about the Equalizer, but may I suggest you go to the hitch place and try the different hook-ups to decide if you are unsure which would suit you better.
Yes Carol you are right about the floor plan. We ordered the Stratus with the narrow dark blue stripe in the dinette and a sort of neutral beig in the rest of the trailer. That will be easy to change the bedspread and even the dinette cushions if I just HAVE TO some day. Or just to add my own touches - my poor husband - I really do like pink flamingos

The tow vehicle is a white 2007 GMC 1/2 ton with extended cab - have to have room for the dog
Old 03-15-2007, 08:45 AM   #654
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Stratus is a great fabric and your new floor plan is terrific. It's amazing how many different models and floorplans there are. When I go to the rallies I am always seeing different ones. Open House is always my most favorite part of the rallies. Each Airstream has its own personality and just like their owners they are the nicest group you could find!

Your new rig will be a hit. Now to affix some Rosie stickers and AIR forums stickers on and you will be all set to go go go!

photography
Old 03-15-2007, 09:18 AM   #655
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Hi Nancy,

Congratulations!!! Welcome to Airstreaming and the ranks of Michiganders that Airstream. So does this mean you will be joining us at our women's rally in June? I sure hope so, I would love to take a peek. It sounds so cute!

We have the Reese Dual Cam. At the time I bought my '05 Safari my salesman showed me the Equalizer and the Reese Dual Cam. Of course I didn't understand that much about hitches at that time. My response to him was, "Remember I am going to be the one that does most of the towing. Which do you recommend for me?" His answer was the Reese Dual Cam. I have been very pleased. We considered the Pullrite when we went to our '07 34' SO, but we decided to stay with the Reese Dual Cam. I am not trying to sway you in any particular direction. Do your research and choose the one that is right for you. They are all excellent hitches and each brings something a little unique. Good luck and congrats, again! I hope meet you soon!

A Michigan Rivette Sister,

Vickie
Air #5970
--------------------------
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:43 AM   #656
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Yes Carol you are right about the floor plan.
Cool, that's a nice one too. I haven't seen that one...reminds me of the old 60's Bambi layout...nice!

Shari

Old 03-18-2007, 08:35 PM   #657
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Thank you all for the good wishes.
We have decied to go with the Reese Dual Cam hitch.

And no Vickie, I do not think I will be ready for the women's rally in June. I have never even driven a truck before, let alone towed with one. So there needs to be a learning time for me before I would venture out on my own with our new treasures. But I am definitely planning on becoming a proficient silver sister.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:58 AM   #658
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Nancy and I are getting snowed on here today! I imagine Steph and Vickie are getting snow too? After a wonderful couple of warm teaser days it looks like its winter again outside.

So here's some International Coffee Swiss Mocha and I brought the whip cream. Let's get the fire going again.

The western sisters will be rallying soon, bet they won't have this fluffy white stuff to decorate their Airstreams.

Did you all know that when Michelle went to Florida she got her commercial sea plane license? You go girl!!

Nancy you'll be surprised how soon you will adjust to driving the truck. I think the only thing you will be busy with is finding out where all the dohinkies are to turn everything on and off. Other than that you just have a better view and need more room to park. Glad Richard and Brad got a chance to meet and now don't be surprised if we don't "bug" you to go camping some time.

photography