Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2007, 10:12 PM   #701
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
I say survival of the fittest when it comes to plants and freezing temps. I'm just lovin' these new pansies, and there's some other daisy like annual from Canada, that will bloom to around 15-20 degrees. I'm real tough on my perennials too. I only allow the ones that can live on their own in the usual growing conditions of our area -- no pampering here.

Jamie, I feel just like you do..only the toughest pansies are gonna make it anywhere for me!!..just put 'em in the barrel or on the ground, water, and I hope for the best..they're pretty hardy here from March till about the frost time..but they survive pretty well too..not too many slugs or snails or earwigs get to these..not sure where you draw the line on annual/perinneals/and bi-annuals..anyone care to differentiate?..these pansies have a mind of their own!..azaleas are another plant that can grow well at different times of the year..when you think they're gone, they surprise you and pop back up again!..
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:54 AM   #702
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
You've got to change your evil ways...
When I come home baby
My pots are empty and the house is cold
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	potsempty.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	35178  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:08 AM   #703
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Ladies skip the hot chocolate and just give me the shot. Survival of the fittest? Gotcha. Move 'em out. Rivettes, Westward Ho! Who's got courtesy parking in Kallyfornia?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	birdsgone.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	35179  

photography
Old 04-05-2007, 06:41 AM   #704
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Hey Heather have a seat by the fire? How are ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamb7
Remember not to bury them too deep
Heather
You are so right about irises Heather, ask me how I know?

Why did they ever think to call wimps "Pansies"? Those are tough flowers!!

Yeah Jamie/Paula you are so right, that is my philosophy with plants in the yard now. "You gotta be strong" like the song by Des'ree says if you want to make it in Michigan or the northeast eh?
Georgia I am laughing with that atomizer vision, I do that in the front yard with garlic and cayenne to keep the deer off my hostas every now and then. Much smaller than your flower field though!!
Old 04-05-2007, 06:56 AM   #705
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
I guess we did not escape the dusting either Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7174.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	35182- from Lovely day on Saturday with balmy 20c to Thursday and 1.3c

Even the dogs were surprised this morning and thought winter was starting all over again.

Name:	100_7183.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	35183Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7184.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	35184

They get all tense and race around like they just saw snow for the first time.

Name:	100_7188.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	35185

Here was our first evidence of Spring

Name:	100_7166.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	35180

- The snow bank had just melted and the sun came out and dried the stone. It is a day when you find all the dog toys that have been burried for the winter -

Name:	100_7167.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	35181
that is Taz with her find. Meanwhile a great day for the Hubby to do poop patrol YUCK - only negative to spring (if you have dogs)

So we got all pumped - that the warmer weather was coming then the rain not so good but still a sign of spring - and then we had a blizzard last night and this stuff - who spilled the year stock of Marshmellows?

Well Annie and Marvin arrive today sometime so I guess that is the cause - who gave them the right anyway to have a nice sunny and warm WINTER without seeing at least a little snow But I sure hope their travels were safe. Always a precarious time of year for the snowbirds to return.....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:42 AM   #706
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
You've got to change your evil ways...
When I come home baby
My pots are empty and the house is cold
Good morning!

Carol, that's soooo funny!!

Sharon, that looks like crocus?..or is it hyacinths?..pretty pooches contrasted against the snow
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:09 AM   #707
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
The snow bank had just melted and the sun came out and dried the stone. It is a day when you find all the dog toys that have been burried for the winter - (from Sharon)

I laughed again at this, Sharon. One of my favorite books for children is A Northwoods Alphabet by Betsy Bowen of Grand Marais, MN. In it, she creates a delightful woodcut of a cabin, melted snow patches, and "stuff" all over the open yard. The line: J is for junk after the spring thaw. (only approximately quoted)~How true! Happy Easter to all in our rally, safe travels to Annie and crew, and here's to Spring in all its splendid variations ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:12 AM   #708
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Hey ya'll. Had to come back to the huddle around the campfire. It's cold here in Chatt Town too! Not snowing, just cold. Supposed to be cold for Easter. We'll freeze at sunrise service! Maybe I should take some of the cocoa with Bailey's??? Um...... I'll get some more wood for the fire.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:47 AM   #709
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
~G - that is my soul purpose in life - to bring a smile to whom ever I can

Glad you had a chuckle.

Cody Bear - I think they are my grouped dafodiles -I am amazed that any actually make it up through the ground with all the squirrels. That is why we use stone for mulch - the ground always stays moist never dries out. With the recent purchase of a leaf blower keeping it clear and clean is way better than the hours I used to sit on a stool picking the leaves our of the garden before they stained the stones. Although what a great way to spend time in the fresh air listening to all the birds and watching the critters busy around you.

snowing and sunny hear at the same time -very weird weather
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:56 AM   #710
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Hi Heather! You're not so far from Michigan, where is Canfield?

Steph, we had 6 deer run by two days ago. I thought I was going to lose the dog in pursuit.

Sharon, your dogs look like they really enjoy running. Orie took off on a real run in the snow, he loves it. The snow is pretty with your trees.

Kathy thanks for throwing another log on, I am starting to warm up, inside. The snow is still falling and it's getting deeper and fluffier so i am so glad I have this fire to sit at with you all this morning.

Georgia the Northwoods Alphabet sounds charming.

G and Kathy I think it's time to go back to Topsail.

While we all sip our cocoa why don't we tell each other what our next travel plans are. I could really get into dreaming about Airstreaming now.

photography
Old 04-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #711
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Spring just does not want to spring here in New England.

Hi All,
I woke up to snow on the AS and I just can't wait to start camping? Is it always this bad every spring when you have an AS in the driveway?

Best,

Irish.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #712
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Tossing another log on the fire, 3-5 inches of snow

Oh well getting the shovel out again and salting...hopefully the snowplow driver will miss my new mailbox!! How are the sisters surviving? We've got the furnace on in the Airstream as the wood floor finish gets cured...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Steph, we had 6 deer run by two days ago. I thought I was going to lose the dog in pursuit.
Carol, these friends dropped by to see if I had anything left of my hostas
We have a band of deer nearby since they can't be hunted in the suburbs they bring the kinfolk along for yard and garden tours...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	just stopping by.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	35486  
Old 04-11-2007, 05:40 PM   #713
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Nice fire Steph. Thanks. Guess where Vicki is, all cozy up at River Ridge in the Airstream watching what she says may amount to 6 inches of snow falling. She and Danielle just decided to take off and go. Now pretty soon it will happen to us, we'll just take off and go. Right Irish?

Nice to sit here with you watching the deer.

photography
Old 04-11-2007, 06:13 PM   #714
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
I've seen as many as five deer in our yard at a time. They walk right up to within about ten feet of our glass sliding doors and just munch on the rhododendrons and stare at us like we're TV. One of them wears a collar, so somebody somewhere must be tracking her. We did get some pretty yellow warblers at the birdfeeders today.

We've got more snow headed our way too, but we haven't had enough ground thaw to get a new post in the ground for our mailbox yet, so no worries about the snowplow attacking it.

Nice fire you gals have going here.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #715
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Oh the warmth from the fire feels soooo good! Just think, where I came from 13 days ago it was 78* and sunny. Right now it's blowing like crazy and earlier the wind whipped lake so rough it looked like it was boiling. Still, I like the clean white snow but have out grown the icey cold and DIRTY, gray days at the end of winter.

Our first big adventure in Cupcake and also away from the cold, was a success and everything, except the oven, went well. If we run out of wood ya'll come over and we'll crank up the "MAGIC CHEF GONE WILD" in Cupcake. I tried to use it for the first time since we've had her and took a lot of stuff to bake with and also take the chill off - the first week we arrived it was cold. The oven temp is wild at 550* on any setting! It needs a new thermostat. You know, those things they no longer make for stoves that old. I will be persuing the issue so ....... I CAN BAKE IT!

The trip home was uneventful, even while I was driving. I towed from Bowling Green, KY to Fort Wayne, IN and on to Freeland, MI - 475 mi., backed out of a drive way under Ike's direction, and helped with hitching. Cool beans.

Well, here are a few more logs for a while longer and I'll bid you all good evening. Hope all is well with my sisters. I'm really getting geeked about the SSR and meeting you person. (I'm not telling anything, but wait til you see my wine choice!)

nitey nite,
suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 07:50 PM   #716
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Smile Tossing some multi colored flame stuff on the fire...

Hey Sue,
Glad to hear you had such a nice time and towed it!! Good luck with the oven thing, bummer...I love the vintage ovens...maybe I'd better make like Shari and Sharon, and just get another trailer

Woohoo girls we got the reupholstered cushion stuff in today, and you know that means I am ready to go!!

I'm gonna practice towing/fueling/backing/getting around in a couple weeks so if you're south bound on 75 watch out baby...
Old 04-14-2007, 08:35 PM   #717
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
All this talk of driving and towing is making me so excited!

photography
Old 04-14-2007, 09:13 PM   #718
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Truck stops! use truck stops. Lots of room. Don't bother with the RV line. Pull in with the big boys and girls.
I thought of something else.... When going around a corner look in the rear view mirrow. Look down at the trailer tires. Make sure they stay on the road.
My F-250 towing mirrows (great mirrows) are split. The top ones are big which allows me to see down the sides of the trailer and the lower ones which are wider angle can see the lanes next to me as well as the trailer tires.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:07 AM   #719
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Thanks Michelle, I will do that! I am most nervous about the fueling stops mostly cause I don't want to bump or to be bumped! Truck stops sound like the solution...that and avoiding driving through colonial towns with narrow streets like Front Royal or Culpeper, Virginia
Old 04-15-2007, 12:25 PM   #720
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Front Royal and Culpeper! Old stomping grounds! I used to keep my plane at the Culpeper airport.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote