Old 02-20-2007, 06:39 AM   #323
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Annie -- Just looked up Arcadia on google maps and saw that I was right in your area when I was in Florida a few weeks ago. Sorry I didn't know it then or I'd have invited you out for lunch. Are you familiar with the campgrounds in that area and toward the ocean? Are there any good ones that you can tell us about?

Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:31 AM   #324
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
I'm up now....with a double pot of coffee on, Jamies strong brew wafting in the air and Annies sweet giggle I just could not stay in bed any longer.

Sure glad I do not have to work persee - I must have needed that sleep.

Jamie nothing really that serious - but nevertheless - if we got caught in the little white fib you know who would not have been too happy.

It turned out that the seller said he had clear title well enough - but it was not in his name - and his father who recently passed away also did not get the trailer plated as they never used it! The older couple that owned it traveled to "flea" markets and that is where this fellows father met up with them on a family vacation in CA. He liked the trailer (back then all polished up must have been a real looker) Gave them an offer to buy it and the older couple said accepted. It was a long time before the father went back to pick up the trailer.

The son (who we dealt with - really nice fellow) remembers he was about 9 or so when his Dad bought it off the lady but never went camping in it.

When his Dad finally brought her home from CA that was her last trip since Feb 16th 2007 On that previous trip back in the 60-70's?? she lost her back window on a bad bump in the road that is still there! just 2 miles from his house. Somewhere along the way the roof ven also disappeard. He never fixed either just a temporary fix with tars over. Well the trailer (now - LadyBug) sat at the old fellows property (now the sons) nicely tarped for many years and at some point was a storage trailer for fertilizer.

The old fellow had a thing about buying trailers and storing things in them and this little one suffered the same fate. The Son is presently going through all the trailers and salvaging the items to clear up the property.

Now it was a matter of hmm do we leave her behind after traveling 600 miles and spending 4 hours getting her road ready - or do we miraculously find NAN to get her to sign the Bill of Sale too. We found NAN is all I have to say.

Then of course there is the shopping issues many of us have all experienced - anything to declare???? Yep - the trailer and how much was it Yep well uh.

Complete hitch system, Intelli Power, Charge Wizard, Prodigy new cook top, new blue buggy (PS anyone looking for a low profile 15 gallon - only $49.99 Camping World in Elkhart and I almost paid $112 at Battle Creek MANF) and the list goes on.

As many know all the arrangements we did do for the trip this is what we did not do...
Put in the updated Insurance slip in the car - expired Oct 06!
Update the registration for the Yukon - expired guess when - YEP Ground Hog Day!
Declare those real nice fancy wheels that appeared on an $800.00 trailer yep turned out they were almost more than the trailer!!!!
We are missing a step on the Import process somewhere that gives you a FLIPPIN PLATE FOR THE TRAILER - but no one can tell us where in the process that is and who gives it to you and whether it is a metal or paper sticker or what????

So we made it through the cutoms - with a few raised eyebrows but nothing really serious.

Let off with a warning on the Insurance card

Slapped with a $110.00 fine for a non current registration

And told by the cop that he is "99.9% that MTO and Transport Canada is wrong in saying that you can drive down the hi-way without a plate on your trailer( I was about to tell him too that DOT, DMV and the State Troupers say you can as well - as long as you have the bill of sale, title and your customs papers)

But this guy seemed like fresh meat with an attitude - woodstock is near the Academy - they all have a point to prove and to build up their knowledge and confidence on us unsuspecting citizens.....

Headed on our way and then it got dark and we found out we had no rear lights - so we headed home with the 4 -ways on for the last 4 hours of our trip....I can still hear the tick tick tick tick in my head...or could that be from all the chocolate I have eaten in the last four days!

Never a dull moment and I learned on this trip that I am not perfect and that I am Human and can forget to do things - which brough my Husband great pleasure!!!! Although he was the one who forgot to pick up the insurance slip that I had put out for him. Of course I get the big fine.

I am wondering if I could challenge this one - under the grounds that if the cop new his job and took the papers for the trailer plate - he would have said oh thanks have a nice day and be on your way.... instead of arguing for 15 minutes that there was no way an MTO told me that I could drive down the hi-way with no trailer plate! Which then resulted in him asking for my vehicle info (that was out of date) - but would he have got that far if he new his job - is the real question. sort of you can't be incriminated without probably cause - and if the cause was false then it is tossed??? any lawers out there....

I will be off today to take care of all this - and start on the LadyBug inside clean up.

PS our suspcisions are correct - dead axle!!!! - but dead in the torsion arm down position.... remember ladies you can not just make the decision on where the arm is positioned. You have to do several other tests as well - with the best one is jacking it up and seeing how far the arm travels with the wheel still attached. Or having people inside jump up and down and see how far the shell travels over the wheel - and not just the rubber on the wheel squishing and it has shock mounts too - YIKES

Too long a post must keep them short

We are very happy to be home safe with our new LadyBug - and for the record NO we are NOT in the business of buying these trailers and SELLING them - as both Customs and the Police man tried to tell us....

Old 02-20-2007, 10:18 AM   #325
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
What an adventure, Sharon! Isn't it great that the Ladybug now has an exciting adoption roadtrip tale to go along with her new life north of the border.

Bummer about the fine, although I am glad to hear that you are a fellow human. I've been learning that lesson too, more and more human the older I get. Last year I forgot the emissions inspection sticker on my station wagon and the one day Doug decides to drive it to work, he gets stopped at the gate, they won't let him on the base, guard tells him that he's lucky they're not having him fined, and he ends up being late to a meeting while he goes to get the inspection and sticker. oops!

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 02-20-2007, 10:34 AM   #326
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Since we are at the campfire.....funny story

When Peter and I were in our early 30's literally Peter's 30th Birthday - he was on his way to get his license and tags updated. We had breakfast together and we go our separate ways to work although we drive the first half of the leg at the top.

We have a choice of 4 different routes down - but that morning we happen to choose the same route - I am about 1.5 hours ahead of him now and LATE as usual. So I decided to take the bumpy road - no cops tee hee

Not so that morning - he jumps out of the bush and I almost ran him over yikes.

Takes me through the whole nine yards and yadayada with a $145.00 speeding back then wow I was going pretty fast.

Then comes along Peter - who little does he know there is a speed trap - silly boy taking the same route I did. He too gets pulled over.

Expired tags, Expired license and speeding. The cop leans over his car and says Sir I could throw the book at you today - but "It is your birthday and I just don't have the heart to fine you AS WELL AS YOUR WIFE! Peter leaves with a big smile.

My day of course was set into a bad karma day and thinking how am I going to explain this one to the Hubby (in those days we were a rocky system-if you know what I mean- blame is a terrible relation breaker)

Peter called me at work and asked "how much was it?" I'm thinking how much was what?? I have not gone to Ikea for lunch yet (spend thrift I was). He then says the ticket - I said what ticket? Thinking to my self how the (*&^ does he find these things out?) then it dawned on me that he went the same route and got a ticket as well.

He was actually going about 5klm less than I was - but because of his birthday I was late and he was not given a ticket - so we had a big laugh over that one - and our 7 year troubled waters period ended - and from that day forward we have been able to laugh over all our silly tickets and misshaps over the years.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #327
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Sharon, Lady Bug is such a good name for the GT. She sure is a great find. How do you manage to find these jewels in front of all of our noses but passing undetected? Once you put your ingenuity and elbow grease to her she will be taking ribbons on the concourse, I'm certain. Now that she is properly christened as Lady Bug, have you thoughts for her interior? Will you be pursuing the Rosie motif?

What an adventure! One misstep along the way and you and Peter could have been a modern day Bonnie and Clyde. Just how many guards surrounded you at the border? Well ladies I think we have our caravan leader. hehe Oh My Sharon, you've got moxie!!!

Can't wait to hear more and see pictures of your progress. Glad you are home safe now.

Janet, your property looks so like an oasis to us winterbound Easties. Terry looks like he has some serious work ahead. I bet your structure will be a beauty in style blending into the landscape. Keep the pictures coming. Looks like a great place to be.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:07 PM   #328
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Sharon, what a terrifically funny story!!!. great way for me to start the day!..thnx for sharing..
Old 02-20-2007, 01:26 PM   #329
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Great story of true love, Sharon! I have to say that Doug is very patient with me and my little mistakes.

Here's a toast (it is past noon, isn't it?) to the husband's and their patience. Clink!

-Jamie
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 02-20-2007, 02:09 PM   #330
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
And don't forget, another toast, in reverse (it's almost happy hour): to ourselves and the grace of continued patience (colored by love, of course) with them ~G And thanks from me also, Sharon. That is a great story, and isn't that the way we grow in a marriage? --by fits and starts, bumps and boulders, tempered along the way into something so rare.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #331
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Sharon WELCOME back. Looking forward to the new thread "Flight of Lady Bug"...quite an adventure.

Janetb, We are talking,planning a shelter for our Airstream. It is starting out as a lean-to...what will it be????

Nice to visit, I did enjoy the strong coffee...and later I take a brandy or
a croft sherry.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:52 PM   #332
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Aria, I plead ignorance. What is croft sherry? I am familiar with cooking sherry and dry sherry, but "croft"? Thanks, ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:10 PM   #333
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
Aria, I plead ignorance. What is croft sherry? I am familiar with cooking sherry and dry sherry, but "croft"? Thanks, ~G

Oh My Not sure what it is to Aria but -G- Croft Sherry to me is...
....the peace at the end of the day
...is the tranquility of the disturbed soul
...is a Lady ("Bugs") Drink
... is my life saver in moments of stress
...is my soother of moments in the kitchen cooking the large turkey meals
...is by far the ONLY Sherry that I shall drink and now I shall walk the talk straight for my Sherry Glass to pour myself one and pass on the bottle to all my new friends around the Camp Fire
...and a special glass for my friend Annie - who really needs to ditch Florida and get home before I become a nervous wreck!
Old 02-20-2007, 04:17 PM   #334
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Oh and just in case anyone lurking might say - hmmm I bet.....she does not know anything about Croft Sherry.......tink tink girls
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6895.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	32716  
Old 02-20-2007, 04:26 PM   #335
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Cheers back to you Sharon! And what a perfect glass to savor a good sherry with.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:26 PM   #336
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
...and if you are still not convinced how is this....See those stress bags - I needed that Sherry I really DID
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6899.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	32717