Old 04-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #3011
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Building...

I have tackled the little - okay not so little job of building shelves in my closet.
I wanted something simple that can come apart easily.

Doing it on a shoe string budget which means CHEAP no money ha ha - I went shopping in our garage for scrap pieces that I thought would do the trick.

Have a middle piece that rests on the HWT Lid - the shelves will screw to it on the left side and on the right I will pop some L brackets - but have not quite decided how yet - I'm slow...ha

I needed to leave some space to hang a few clothes and to keep some of my storage bins - so it was not just a matter of building straight shelves that would not come out - as I have to access the water heater at least twice a year to switch the valves.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:22 AM   #3012
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Olympia , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1963 View Post
I have tackled the little - okay not so little job of building shelves in my closet.
I wanted something simple that can come apart easily.

Doing it on a shoe string budget which means CHEAP no money ha ha - I went shopping in our garage for scrap pieces that I thought would do the trick.

Have a middle piece that rests on the HWT Lid - the shelves will screw to it on the left side and on the right I will pop some L brackets - but have not quite decided how yet - I'm slow...ha

I needed to leave some space to hang a few clothes and to keep some of my storage bins - so it was not just a matter of building straight shelves that would not come out - as I have to access the water heater at least twice a year to switch the valves.
You are definitely creative and resourceful!!! I want to build some lightweight removable shelves too. Maybe when you're done, you can post some pics to see how you did yours. Good luck!

~Cari~

Old 04-26-2012, 02:41 AM   #3013
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Olympia , WA
PS Carli - now let us get one thing straight - Wheelinterested aka Carol - is my elder by wiseness and beauty - I who go by Ladybug - but to lazy to change my GT1963 - to ModPod - would be just passed my 50 mark - ug already had the 51 - so I am cruising along to catch up to my friend above me [/QUOTE]

Shoot! I did get that wrong! Carol, you are just a youngster at 60!!!! And a fun one to boot! You always make me laugh! And Ladybug (GT) you are hardly old enough to shave those legs!!! I'm almost right in the middle of you two, at 56. Yep, just a whipper-snapper!!!

I really admire all you Silver Sisters! You're smart, creative, hard working, adventurous and a lot of fun!!! I'm so glad to have connected here with you. You inspire me. Even though life can be hard and crazy sometimes, it's still good, especially with neat people like you!!!

Ciao for now, you wild women!!!

~Cari~
Old 04-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #3014
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Gosh Carli - they are nothing fancy at all - the shelves that is. Because they sit behind closet doors I was not overly concerned how they looked. I am on such a tight budget - I just grabbed what I could from the garage to make them with.

We had some end cuts from the pine flooring most of them about 1X2's same as you could buy in the store. I put two 1x2 about a foot apart and screwed a brace top and bottom and then added three more 13 inches apart for the shelves.

For the shelf I just used that really thin stuff they used to (or still do) line the closets with - some cedar board about 1/8th inch thick. I screwed a 1x2 pine piece on the other side where it would then be screwed to the 1 inch L brackets (2) to the right closet wall. When I go to remove it I just have to unscrew 6 screws from the wall and the whole thing comes out.

Sorry the pic was taken with iphone - and you can't see the pine support pieces under the shelf on the right side.

Ha you can tell that my end pieces were tongue and grove - hence not very pretty. I put the top and bottom braces on the opposite side for some reason to that of the shelves - probably by mistake but for the purpose of holding face here - lets just say it gives it better structural support ROFL!!! But seriously I did have a reason at the time but I could not remember - it will come to me I think....no wait yes - because I wanted to put hooks on them to hang my belts! - ha that's not a bad save eh.

As you see I needed to still have some hanging space and I still wanted to keep a few of the bins I store stuff in in their same places - I have an extra shelf at the bottom that I put things as well.

They did the trick - free and fairly easy to do. Now of course I could have done an elaborate shelving system and go the shelf supports and riveted into the wall and create a new trap door to access only the valves to the water heater - but heck I need the shelves NOW and I have no power tools here and could not afford the expensive melamine white shelving or aluminum supports and Peter took my damn rivet gun again out of my tool box - not to mention I don't even have any rivets cause he took those too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0474.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	156929
Old 04-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #3015
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Sharon I don't know why Carli keeps mixing us up do you? Clearly you are lady bug and I of course am not.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:59 AM   #3016
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Just like...

Heckle and Jeckle

and Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck!

photography
Old 04-29-2012, 01:36 AM   #3017
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
No, not Lady Bug...

Just Sharon and me

photography
Old 04-30-2012, 01:27 AM   #3018
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Olympia , WA
[QUOTE=wheel interested;1140017]Just like...

Heckle and Jeckle

and Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck!

That's too cute Carol!!!! I kinda think I got it now. Hopefully!

Oh, btw......My name is Cari, not Carli. Carlita is my wild alter ego . Ciao for now!!

~Cari~
Old 04-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #3019
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
LadyBug

Well Cari - AKA Carli - it is indeed a pleasure to know you - seriously don't mind us - we have not chatted for a while and it is funny - when we used to be on this board more than we really had time in a day for - our posts and mistaken identity would be a tickle at the virtual campfires...

Like a comedy ACT that attracts the silver sisters out of the woodwork....which could be our ulterior motive here....

It is nice to see you posting ....drum up some others will ya - it is still cold in this part of the continent and there is no dang wood for the virtual fire and I am starving and missing all the neat things the sisters used to bring for us to eat!
Old 04-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #3020
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1963 View Post

It is nice to see you posting ....drum up some others will ya - it is still cold in this part of the continent and there is no dang wood for the virtual fire and I am starving and missing all the neat things the sisters used to bring for us to eat!
Sounds great Sharon! Oh and btw so did calling me your elder in wiseness and beauty. See everybody this is why we are friends. Since the first rally when Sharon knocked me off my chair unexpectedly we have been jabbing and elbowing ever since...

Cari, so sorry to hear you had to miss the Morro Bay Silver Sisters Rally but I bet you will just make a point to have twice the fun at your next one. I tracked down that book, ""My Time" by Abigale Trafford," and saved it to my wishlist at Amazon and look forward to reading it and about what I can do in my bonus decades. Thanks for the recommendation. I love to read.

OK Sharon, and Hey Kathy, Loren, Kelly, Juliannne, Lou, Danalee, everybody out there grab your chairs or pull up a log and let's get this party started again. I want to hear everything that has been going on. What are you making? What are you baking? Where have you gone? Lou tell us about your trip to Alaska!

Sharon will you jump on that pick up truck over there and grab those little twigs and loose bark from the bottom of the truck bed before the fire goes out, or shall I? (Remember the We Can Tow It Rally at Poor Farmers? )

and start with some marshmallows

and get some s'mores ready. We have a hungry crowd gathering!

photography
Old 04-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #3021
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Beautiful day!

Hi Everyone!
We have a sunny, beautiful warm day in NE Ohio! Larry is cleaning out the yard and we are getting ready to add more driveway space. Larry sold his semi tractor and trailers and we now have more yard space. We were gone from Jan. to the end of Mar. Went out to the SW and got to visit with some family and friends and some of our Silver family. It was our first time really camping off the grid for a few weeks at a time. Very fun and a little scarey at first.
The trip to SE Alaska was fabulous! Larry got some great, GREAT photos. We stayed with our best friends in Tenakee Springs for a month. You can only get there by boat, ferry or float plane! That was a very different kind of vacation for us. We loved the people and the lands up in the NW U.S.
We are going to spend some time in our area this summer. We ARE signed up to go to Alumapalooza and hope to see some of you there. Larry and I volunteered to do the "parking crew" jobs again this year. We had so much fun last time.
And our next camping adventure will be the weekend of Mother's Day. We are going to Penn Wood Airstream Park, Limestone, PA with our silver friends and family and anyone else that wants to join in.
I am making special "Airstream" signs. My friend, Ella, who is an experience camper, but new to Airstreaming (in her 16' Sport), inspired me to make some "signs" for the trailer crawl fun.
We are hoping to have some of you travel through and courtesy park with us this summer.
Throw on another log...that was a long story!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #3022
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Wow Lou - your travels have been vast - I bet Larry's photos are stunning!!!

No Rallies for me lately I am afraid...but perhaps when I am more settled and I get through this next month - I might be able to pull out - but can't pull out of this park until my feels for the season are paid for- which are due at the end of May. Hopefully I will have made enough by then - gessh hate not having the freedom to just pull out when I want - but only this year while I start out with NO funds - so I don't blame him for using my Trailer as a bit of security that I will pay my bill tee hee.

I am working on repurposing large skids - 4 4X8 to make a deck for my trailer.

It is a big job but free - just my own labour and I have to buy 6 cement deck support blocks and a can of stain.

I have had to make the extra slats from other skids and some of the poplar wood we still have - once it is stained it will be fine for a few years and hopefully not totally rot out on me in a year. But then maybe I can afford to buy a nice new deck by then. For now we do things on a shoe string budget.

So I am using the man tools today - cutting the lengths and then I have to take 1/4 inch off the thickness of each so doing that with table saw - ripping wood it is called - not my favourite as you cut blind into the wood - kind of scary - run it once through then flip it to run again and then poof like magic the slats are the right thickness to match the existing ones.

When that is done I will take the heavy duty grit sander and get rid of all the splinters and smooth out the edges. Then we will be good to stain.

I have to leave the slats that I have made off or I will never handle the skid. I have made a frame of 2x6 to drop the skids in flush. They will all be bolted together and it will look like a nice antique floor but outside - ha always like to be different.

Will have to stay an extra day here at the house to get it finished.

Nice visiting with Pete - he came back from his GF's to mow the lawn. We both sort of take turns in doing things around here to keep it looking nice but not very often do we land here at the same time.

He is doing much better and got good results from his Dr. today. A1C1 is back down to 7 from way over 13 and his insulin has been reduced even further. Down to 2 units with meals and 7 at night. I am very happy for him and just hope that he can really take care of himself now.

Well that is all my update...must post some photos of my little babies - unless you want to Carol - Pick your favourites and throw a few up for me - gotta get back at building my deck.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #3023
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Ps the fire is lovely - I stuffed my face with the mallows and smores YUM and my feet are now warm again....but I am aching from head to toe with all this labour - just not as young as I used to be...
Ha must be really weird Pete watching me do this and not stepping in and taking over ha ha ha....
Old 04-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #3024
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Airbiscuit Send a message via Yahoo to Airbiscuit
Well, we have been spring cleaning and trying to get things done. *sits in a chair close to the fire* We have had a busy april and may is about to get more busy. We got to camp at the 2nd annual tac ohio rally easter weekend and then have had repairs to do to the argosy before we head out again. We will be headed to pennwood with silver family & friends the 2nd weekend but have to get through a wedding that mike & i are both in... lord help us the bride will make it. *grabs a fork and starts roasting some white fluff*
Then its camping time as a reward for good wedding behavior. Ha! Then the cleveland marathon rally weekend, and memorial day weekend with the in laws. Some where in there mike & i will be starting a new journey to start our little family. We have finally got all the stars aligned and will begin ivf treatments before the end of may. Excited, nervous, hopeful... *eats a marshmallow* yeah. So our camping time will be limited this year to maybe 1 outting a month with an added stop at a close state park occasionally.
I have gotten to live vicariously through my rents as they have wondered the us the past year. Glad to have them home though.
Ok, I've checked in. Where is everyone else?!
* throws on a few more logs*