Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2007, 06:41 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Is there room for one more?

Hi girls,

Mrs. Towdaddy here. Is there room for one more to pull up a chair around this special campfire? This is a great idea!

Gas stations make us all anxious, if the truth be known. As said here before the most important thing to help with this is to be confident in your ability. The only way to accomplish this is practice, practice, practice. The fear of the unknown the moment that you realize that it is time to exit the freeway causes the anxiousness to set in. I am a total length of 60' and when comes to time to turn into a gas station everything must be just right. Everytime I begin to do this I hear the voice of my son, "Move over boys, my mom is coming in.". This helps me put things into perspective. I don't like to put others out, but when you need fuel, you need fuel. No matter how I do it I know that I am going to inconvenience someone. You gotta do what you gotta do! I also remember that if worse comes to worse I can always go out in reverse of the way I went in. Just remember all of you that have never much of this before, your confidence in your ability is most important in this situation. I did a lot of this with my 30' and never had a problem, that's not to say I was never anxious. I have never done this with my 34' yet. But I will not let this stop me from getting out there and meeting all of you. If we overcome our fears soon they will no long be fears!!!

I guess since I'm the new around this fire, it is my turn to stoke the fire.

Vickie
Air #5970
--------------------------
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:52 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hey thanks for stoking the fire Vickie - I woke up this morning with a bit of a chill on my backside - but the fire is raging again.

Now that is a long trailer! I just get butterflies with the 21' - did not mind the 26 tandem, so when I get this little 19' and being a 7' wide model it will feel like I am towing a "Boler". Why the Yukon is only a foot shorter...

Anyone for coffee or tea - with their pancakes??
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:09 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Talking Hello Fellow Airstream Sisters

Good Morning everyone,
I am Annie .. the other half of Happycampers. Have been married to Marvin for 6 wonderful years... we say it took us over 30 years to find each other and the wonderful invention of a computer.. Another story.. The Argosy has been wonderful project for us both to work on and to meet great friends. Some who have become family like Sharon and Peter.
Sharon does have a great campfire and we have shared that a few times. Have met Carol and enjoyed her company at the Metro Detroit Rally last summer.. How is Oreo? Well I have towed the Tradewind a little on the 402 and the worse thing I hate about towing is the on ramps because I like to stay in the right lane, was cut off by an 18 wheeler and have been nervous ever since. Now we have the 30' Argosy and I WILL learn to tow it and have a diesel truck now and I just dare anyone to cut me off... lol.. just kidding.. .
Besides doing the Argosy over .. I will practice the art of towing this summer. Pilons are a great idea. As far as fuel goes... that is why the Hubby is adding a 90 gallon fuel tank in the bed of the truck...
Best to Airstream Sisters... Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:56 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Vickie, I believe you have the longest rig at 34' of all the Rivettes. Vickie is a backing pro cutting her teeth on navigating her long curving uphill driveway and then performing a sharp narrow turn between the house and a tree, is it? Now that is awesome!

Juel and Donna, the only thing we have to fear is fear itself. When backing take your time, move slowly, stop often, pull forward if necessary, and redirect the angle and constantly check your clearances, get out and check the blind spots. The axle is your pivot point, you just have to know the amount of swing room the AS will need and the length required to complete it. If it isn't working then go forward enough to try a whole new approach. For fueling I wait for the end pumps.

I got "stuck" again this trip on the way home from Florida. Remember to walk your exist paths before entering them. Argh! I thought I was going to pull around the gas station, I saw the driveway going back and the one coming out. What I didn't see was that behind the building it narrowed to the width of a passenger car with an abrupt right angle around the rear corner of the building. I found swearing quite theraputic. Now at this point it was not FEAR. Whatever goes in must be able to get out, eventually. It was embarrassment, frustration and anger for getting myself in a jam that I knew better than to have gotten into. What I thought was going to be an easy exist turned out to be a really really long backward U and I was having a lot of trouble with it with obstacles. It seemed like forever but probably a mere 15 minute or so. All the while exiting the truck after a minute correction and checking for clearance, rethinking the next move, and swearing some more and making the most intense frowns and faces. The worst part of it? I didn't get gas there, their terminal was down and they were not accepting charge cards! Unless you are on the moon there will always be someone around who could help if you aren't too proud to ask. Just don't let the stress cause you to move too quickly, think too little or forge ahead (or backward.)

Hi Annie, you will not believe how much Orie has grown! I cannot wait to see you again. I had the best time those post rally days with you and Marvin. I really want to see how the Argosy is progressing. You did such a great job on your other Argosy. How is the weather in Ontario?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:55 AM   #25
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Great stories! I think we all HATE to back up but you do get better with practice. I'm still not a pro by any means but I manage. I think the key to success is to have a good spotter. Someone is always willing to help guide you...they don't want you backing into their vehicle, the gas pump, or mowing down the trees at the campground! Sometimes I get it the first time, sometimes it takes forever...inching forward and back...constantly getting out to look. I've also let someone else do it when the frustration got to be too much. (There always seems to be an old pro somewhere in the campground ) And you can always request a pull through. I like to do that when I can and leave my TV hitched if I won't be there very long.

Wow. A 34 footer. Now that is impressive! If we caravan we can all help spot for you. As everyone said we just need to scope out the situation as much as possible in advance and remember that there is a way out of every situation...even if it is frustrating or embarrassing. We've all been there...many times .
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:00 AM   #26
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
I'll take some coffee please...anyone for a cinnamon roll?

*tosses another log on the fire*
Old 01-29-2007, 09:02 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Hello everyone,
What a cool thread and well-timed since I'll miss the women's rally in Santa Barbara.

I have yet to trailer at all, with or without my husband. It has taken a year to get her road-ready, and we're fighting like mad to meat the deadline I set for the Oregon rally at the end of Feb! Nothing like pressure to get those last minute things done, ay?

I have been of an independent mind my whole life. I was raised by a single mom who is QUITE independent ... and I suppose that gave me the edge- that my husband finds both nice and irritating . I have often regretted showing how capable I was before getting married because now I am expected to be able to do...everything! I should of faked the incompetent bit a little better!

A little background... When my husband and I met I was a single mom of a 4 year old going to college. I was not looking for any man to rescue me and I suppose I had that vibe out there- [how he ever cracked me... oh I remember I wanted more babies !!] Anyway, he and I took a trip to Oregon together and he proceeded to get his truck stuck in the sand. In a matter of seconds and without word, I jumped out and began digging the sand out in front of the tires and pushed the truck out. He tells me this is when he new he wanted to marry me... aww... Fastforward to October of 2006.. and I just had to have an airstream... NOW!! Well, he is a fantastically generous and accommodating man, and knows where his food comes from, so I got her !! (of course)

The airstream has been MY project. He wanted nothing to do with the rehab- and I wanted it that way. MINE! So I began gutting, cleaning, well, it's all in my thread... But in the end I had to "hire" him for his carpentry skills in the re-building of 2 cabinets and the making of a dinette. He's the detail, with a plan half... I'm the slam it together and "must finish it now"....

All that aside, I'm still way terrified of travelling alone. I think I could do it if I were meeting a gang of gals though... then I'd just have to overcome the pulling the trailer part.

More coffee????
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:34 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Confessions around the campfire? I'm game too. I am terrified at the idea of heading out with Gypsy on my own. I'm a great second chair, navigator, scouter, assistor, anticipator, but I've not yet done the whole hitch up-head out-gas up-back up-set up-dump out deal. Max has limited flexibility so I'm his second set of hands, but he still likes to "do" so after 40+ years of marriage, I've learned to accomodate that. I think that besides just wanting to say "I CAN TOW IT," I want the confidence of knowing that if Max were to get ill when we are on a trip, I CAN get us home safely. It's sort of like having an emergency exit plan for the Airstream and the house. Planning ahead can make a frightening situation doable. About the fueling, I think the most important factor is, again, to plan ahead. Watch that fuel gauge and start looking for an open accessible pump well before you really need it. Be picky. We are when we are on the road and it sure beats getting between that proverbial rock and a hard place! So, enough mushy for me. . .This fire is warming me this frigid morning, I'm ready for that second cup of coffee (thanks, Sequoia!), and I'll just add a splash of Baileys, thank you ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:38 AM   #29
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
This fire is warming me this frigid morning, I'm ready for that second cup of coffee (thanks, Sequoia!), and I'll just add a splash of Baileys, thank you ~G
I can tell this group will be fun to travel with!
Old 01-29-2007, 10:01 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
How is the weather in Ontario?
whopp yup da lets see hmmm what is the weather like in Ontario ANNIE!!!

How the (*&*^ does she know - she and her bed warmer abondoned us months ago to escape our lovely winters!!!!! Sure do miss them though

The more appropriate question is How is the weather in FLORIDA!!! Annie - and hmm Sharon - how is the weather in Ontario.

Now that you asked...a beautiful sunny day with blue blue sky and a balmy 0c during the canadian winters you don't shake a stick at a sunny day - no matter how cold it may be.

...got the wine skins out now 12:00 noon - setting up the bear chair in the snow on the edge of the fire pit and putting not a log but a whole tree on the fire for a nice long slow burn....top me up please!@!
Old 01-29-2007, 10:45 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
This is fun. I wish we could have a rally that would be somewhere I could actually get to. There are just not that many Airstreams in Oklahoma. There is no dealer at all. Your stories have given me strength to try the backing thing again. I love to tow the Argosy and have never feared getting off or on the highway or getting gas. I guess it's just all the wide open spaces out here. I towed my Caravel all by myself when I was showing dogs as a Breeder/Professional Handler. Never did get good at backing and there was always some man to yell at me to get out of the van and he's take it from there. I pulled with a Dodge 1 ton Maxi-Van. Now there was a tow vehicle. It had tires so large that you had to hop up to get in it and I'm a tall person. That was a fun time in my life and I miss it but we all get older and find we need to make a better living for ourselves if we're going to be alone.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:57 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Hey Georgia a splash of Bailey's sounds great! Do you mind sharing?

Vickie
Air #5970
--------------------------
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:14 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Vickie, maybe I can talk Max into doing Moraine View again this summer and we can share a splash there. I just read on that thread that you'll be joining that rally. We were there in '04, but haven't been able to attend again. Maybe we'll see you there ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:28 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
Nice group here! Squeezing back in with cup of coffee...

Mmmmm....nice fire Sharon, this should last all day! Congrats on your new/old Globetrotter you'll have to post some pics.

Carol (Wheel Interested)Thanks for sharing your experience with getting in a jamm and how we assume things by how situations 'appear'...and a great suggestion (walking thru your exit) so others can be more wise...not to say that someone might do the very same thing and then say...geez I knew better than that...one thing for sure, it's important to share and support each other.

I can't back either...I tried to back Bambi into her space at her home(RV Park) and geez...her name should be ...'Squirrely'...!
I tried for 1 1/2 hours before a couple who just dropped off their trailer drove by and asked if I needed help... of course .... I let them!
sooooo....I can drive Straight...by reading this thread I can see that there are more than a few who can't back up...but it's not 'STOPPING' them at all from being out there... This is very important for other women to read.
I think that many times we are trying to be 'perfect' or not do something untll we feel that we know the whole process fully before we do this in public.
I know that there's a few women who would love to come to these first rallies that are being planned...but they feel that they can't come because they haven't TOWED before. I'm saying....if you have to...ask your hubby or a friend to get you there...then we'll all support you and we'll get everyone set up, safe and sound. You'll learn how to do all that with us and having fun doing it, then THAT's done.

I had my first cup of coffee this morning reading all these wonderful posts...

https://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:33 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Guys are reading this too....

Thanks Kevbo for your support...you're like one of us, but not really one of us.
Does that mean that you might 'crash' one of our rallies like you do the Vintage ones with your 2005 25' CCD?

Old 01-29-2007, 11:57 AM   #36
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
I think it's good that guys are reading this too. We can all learn a lot from each other. Maybe some of our guys don't realize we'd like a chance to do it ourselves unless we say so. We can get very used to riding in that passenger seat.

My guy is not really a camper but occasionally comes along for the ride and we have an agreement that he doesn't offer advice unless asked. We have that agreement when playing golf too even though he's pretty good at it and I'm pretty bad.

We camped in Big Sur last summer and I was backing into a tight (slightly uphill space) and he directed me into the space so well that the people in the space across from us came running over and congratulated us for getting the 'stream into the site without arguing or uttering one swear word.

(Aww Kevin...we are always together, but not together)
Old 01-29-2007, 11:59 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
hi sequoiacoast;

You have to send me some girl power vibes on the restoration side of this adventure.

Peter and I were looking at the pictures of the 63 last night - and I dropped the idea that I think I would like to tackle this one myself his response...."sure honey drop a few frilly curtains in her give a sweep and you will be on your way" and that is coming from a guy who is not a "man guy guy" you know what I mean - the equality kind of guy - I laughed but then thought you know I really do want to do this project. I have watched and done much of the work on many resotrations of not only our last trailer but, furniture, trunks, houses and the works.

So I am going to learn the plumbing and the electrical and I will get him to teach me the carpentry - as I use all his tools anyway - they don't scare me.

So here she is - I think at the first Rally I might be using the camping facilities

Normally I would not show such graphic material - so take a gulp of your coffee and put the pillow up to just below your eyes and take a real quick peak at the inside

But then the outside more than makes up for the inside - just missing a back window - the cause of the inside terror.

Goin on a road trip......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5050142.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	31509   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5050143.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	31510  

Name:	P5050145_1.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	31511   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5060011_1.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	31512  

Name:	2187_1.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	31513  
Old 01-29-2007, 12:03 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
I get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babeebloos
Thanks Kevbo for your support...you're like one of us, but not really one of us.
Does that mean that you might 'crash' one of our rallies like you do the Vintage ones with your 2005 25' CCD?
ms. babee,

the "i get it" part, means i don't "crash rallies", although your only 90 min.s north of my ranch.

kevbo

ps my '05 stream is "vintage". it's kinda like fashion or art, it's whatever you say or think it is...
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:10 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Sharon... I love your quote, it's sooooo appropriate here on this thread...and you are 'living' it!

Streaming in the spirit of Exploration...
"To go places and do things that have never
been done before-that's what living is all about."
- Michael Collins

YOU are soooo inspirational to us all!
I'm sure we'll all be watching your progress....YOU GO GIRL!

Old 01-29-2007, 12:20 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I'll give it a try...

Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Worst case.... you could just find a parking lot, unhook the trailer, get gas in your tow vehicle and go hook the trailer up again. Hey, I've found myself in a situation or two that I couldn't get out of. I am horrible at backing, well let me correct that.....I just plain can't back. Can you say jack-knife? Had to be creative or just sit and cry for a minute and suck it up and get help. Still wouldn't give up the Airstream. I've got the DVD to show me how to back, but I think I'm backing challenged. I can pull the heck out of this trailer going forward. I can hook it up and unhook it better than my husband any day, he's the strong arm it type. Sooooo I can't back. Donna, keep after it, you'll find a way. You live in a great place to go camping.
Ok... I hate to tell this story on myself but since it's just us girls... On my first long trip I took a wrong turn and ended up on an impossible two lane country road with big ditches AFTER DARK. I literally did cry for about 2 minutes when the big blue lights went on behind me. The cops!

Well it turned out to be two nice very young officers and they helped me get it turned around - with the blue lights flashing for about 20 humiliating minutes while I hemmed and hawed and backed and went forward. I swore to myself that I was going to learn and NEVER face that again. Well I still had trouble but gradually got better.

Then all of a sudden I figured it out:
  1. if at all possible back so that the trailer is turning toward the driver's side of the car - it's a huge blind "by guess and by golly" the other way.
  2. less is more - put your hands on the bottom of your steering wheel and turn it less than 1/4 turn in the direction you want the rear of your trailer to go.
  3. back very slowly
  4. the second your Airstream starts to turn release the wheel.... remember to think that you are now following the airstream (pretend it has the engine). Let the tow vehicle straighten out as it follows the airstream into the spot.
The biggest mistake most of us make is to overreact. If you're coming to the Summer Solstice rally I'll be glad to sit with you in your tow vehicle and try to help you figure out what's getting in the way of your success.

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote