Old 02-13-2007, 07:28 PM   #239
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
How many of you take snips and cuttings whereever you go and try rooting them in sand? If you dip them in hormone powder, you'll have a better chance at rooting. It takes powerful positive thought to have faith that a tiny little rooted start will grow into a beautiful shrub or tree, but. . .sometimes it does! This is bad--now I'm thinking garden and we have fresh snow on the ground and a howling north wind. I always try to plant spinach and peas by St. Pat's and sooner, if the groundhog is right this year. I didn't get our garden spot fall plowed last year after harvest and cleanup so it won't be so easy to get started this spring. I still have five Rose of Sharon shrubs to transplant out into the yard somewhere --these were bedded in with lots of other garden starts from when we made our move from town to our pond place last year. Speaking of. . .we're thinking of trying to ice fish for some of our catfish or crappie if this cold stays on til the weekend. Never have done that! ~G

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:45 PM   #240
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Talking Pass the seed catalogue please

Oh the things that get a girl through winter! Seed/plant catalogues do it for me! Photos of lovely plants, such a contrast to the view out the window eh?

Georgia, I haven't tried the root hormone/sand thing yet. I will have to. I would like to do that with my lavender plants, some of my deer friends ate back the lavender this winter, I'm not sure how well they will do in the spring, they were gorgeous through fall.

How about going straight to the chocolate and skipping the marshmellows?

Old 02-13-2007, 08:16 PM   #241
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Oh Gees - what a day!
What to do still - book the hotel rooms, clean the car, leave instrcutions for the parents and get ready for hopefully uneventfull trip. But best of all we can not wait to meet all you Rivettes that can drop in for this "Rivette Rush"
Did I miss something? Did a place and time for the "Rivette Rush" get planned and I missed it?

Looks like I do not have to work on the 17th after all.
uluwene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:20 PM   #242
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Sure glad of that awning and fire to keep us warm. It is the first I have been able to chase the chills all day.

Passes a whole stack of catalogs to tin sista. The garden catalogs are piling up here alright. Gives one spring fever.

For those of you who garden and "Airstream" for extended periods how do you manage leaving your gardens for long periods? Since we will be camping for the first time this summer and still trying to garden I am worried that the weeds will be all we can find when we return.

Have never rooted in sand but have done it with tender house plants in water.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:35 PM   #243
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Nancy Sharon and Peter are leaving from Canada to drop off MoonBeam to her new owners and going to Indiana and picking up their new vintage Airstream. On the way home they are stopping and all of a sudden we will be having a Rivette Rush to visit as they blow on through.

Vickie and her family and Sharon and Peter will be staying at the Comfort Inn and I will probably be daytripping over and we will all meet at Steph's. Can you come? Let me find the posts, not here?? We have a few threads going.

Here it is and I will pm you too. This is terrific! When Michelle breezed on by there were fewer of us. Anyone else in range of my voice? Calling all Rivettes.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ummer+solstice

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:40 PM   #244
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Carol,
I might be able to come if it is during the day and not too far away. But I have a commitment for later in the day - have to be back to Lapeer by 5:00
Old 02-13-2007, 09:06 PM   #245
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Scootch yourself over here by me girl! Why haven't we bumped into each other at Wal-Mart yet?! Why you practically could hear our dogs bark from your house.

Georgia I have used those jiffy pots for cuttings of house plants, I have not done much outdoor gardening. I used to love my swedish ivy, wandering jew and inch plants and then there was that purple one. Those grew so easily. I don't think I would have much of a green thumb outside.

Steph any more of that chocolate, Nancy want a marshmallow or do you take your chocolate straight up too?

photography
Old 02-13-2007, 09:16 PM   #246
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by uluwene
For those of you who garden and "Airstream" for extended periods how do you manage leaving your gardens for long periods? Since we will be camping for the first time this summer and still trying to garden I am worried that the weeds will be all we can find when we return.
Hey Nancy, we've had good luck with our small raised bed gardens but they are pretty much tomato patches--just dumb luck really, good rain and not too many scorchers the last couple summers. Haven't done a large scale veggie garden since camping. The flowers seem to hang in there til we get back. I put my container flowers in the garage in tubs of water so they can get some water and don't get fried. (2 1/2 weeks gone and they did fine) I'd love to hear how others adapt. Oh yeah I forgot to say I do extra heavy mulching before we go and water deeply too that last week before we leave.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:21 PM   #247
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
We have used a soaker hose on a timer for some trips. But the garden actually seems to like the freedom from my special cultivation. It does famously on its own.

photography
Old 02-13-2007, 09:30 PM   #248
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
In our part of CA ("central coast" which is south of San Francisco and north of Monterey) house plants can be left in a tub with a few inches of water, a la Tin Sista's plan, and they're usually just fine for a week or two.
But the outdoor plants in pots will keel right over in mid-summer if they don't get water at least daily. So we always have a house-sitter or neighbor take over on any plants that aren't on the drip system. I'm constantly working on trying to grow antique roses in a temperate climate without running our water bill through the roof. So I'm learning to cluster those water needy types together, and go drought resistant (lots of lavender, sage, and natives) with the rest of the borders.
But it's tough, because I love my roses!
Ok. Now I know I didn't eat that entire bar of Scharffenberger by myself. Georgia? Is that a little crumb of chocolate I see on your cheek? You must try this Zin to wash it down.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:43 PM   #249
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Hi Gals;

Have you ever got up and wished you just stayed in bed and wished that the day never happened?

Thanks Annie for the wake up call this morning - and I thought it was going to be a GREAT day.

WOW - now it decides to be Winter!!!

Not sure how our snowed out back up plan would play out? but this might work if the roads are not clear for us this Thursday.

As we have to hit RVS in Elkhart to pick up the new hitch. I do not think they are open on Saturday and we would not make it before closing on the Friday.

We could however do the Saturday - Tuesday schedule. Drop off MoonBeam in Milton Ontario and head straight for Oskemos to arrive around 4-5 in time for Dinner and Social - Hang out Sunday Morning then travel to Elkhart and wait for Monday AM and RVS and Camping World to open - pick up the hitch and other items and head to Lowel sort out the new Rivette baby for her trip home. Then head straight home from there with a stop over Mon night wherever we get tired. Moving on Tuesday the rest of the way home. Peter would have to confirm with his work tomorrow. Hmm I wonder?

Our bigger issue right now is that we are not getting a contact on our electric brake controller from the Globe Trotter. So we have an issue be it wiring or the actual brakes (which they are too new for it to be the brakes) so I bet it is the wiring somewhere.

Thing is it is colder than a whitches titty outside to do what we need to.

"Trailer Brakes, Trailer Brakes Trailer Brakes" always brings a smile at the scene from The Long Long Trailer. That is how I am feeling about now.

Need some vibes again - someone please find out where the problem is and let me know

Today we heard the great news that our Minor Variance Application that has taken us 10 months to submission point is starting back at the beginning of the application process - because of a technicality. The committee at the previous hearing did not render a decision - so they defered the decision - but did not give a time. The next meeting is by the NEW committee who technicaly did not hear the application.

So this was me shortly after my wake up call from Annie and in the middle of colouring my hair....

The saying it never rains it pours is so true.

But I got my truck fixed and my buddy up the road found the leak!! - up at the manafold intake and out take?? He torqued her all down and the leak stopped - so we still have to keep an eye on it and will have to have that job done in the near future - hoping it can hold out to the spring when our buddy does not have to work in the cold.

A $500+ job cost $170.00 plus parts phew.

Well gals enjoy the fire I added a special trick - (I think I have posted this pic before but thought we all needed to see a fire again so that we can continue our pretend Rally. G I sure hope that Tarp is fleece Lined.

Nancy if the weather holds we would sure love it if you could make it to the Rivette Rush- and anyone else within "snowshoe distance" Hey Steph how many can you feed????

Annie and Marvin we miss you guys too - just to help you remember....and to help us feel a bit of warmth and look forward to our summer days with you....and to encourage those who need a new place to spend a few days come on up we would love to have you.

PS the Girls miss you too Annie!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Campfire.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	32315   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_7437.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	32318  

Name:	DCP_7441.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	32319   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_7442.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	32320  

Name:	DCP_7443.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	32321  
Old 02-14-2007, 06:45 AM   #250
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Sharon and Peter... Go to alternate plan.. Sat to Tues.. Want you both to be safe on the road... Marvin has been canoeing and we miss you both.. ... Toby and Niki say hello... Happy Valentine's DAy
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:08 AM   #251
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
No worries - plan C - we will skip taking MoonBeam and travel through the back sidd of the storm withno trailer - and worry about getting her to the new owner later - as this is an extra bonus Mt. nice people move anyway...

I don't like the idea of trying to work on brakes in a blizzard today - not as bad as the Southwest but blowing and blizzardy conditions and brrrrrcold.

Thanks for the worry....
Old 02-14-2007, 08:39 AM   #252
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Sharon, I'm so glad your truck was repaired that you are taking the least stressful route! We are really looking forward to meeting everyone, those photos of your time in Florida are lovely! Safe journey!

Everything this weekend is going to be comfortable and laid back with the emphasis on fun!!