Old 04-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #2395
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
We'll be looking for you Wed. evening-have a safe trip! Do you have my phone # ?

Old 04-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #2396
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by danalee View Post
We'll be looking for you Wed. evening-have a safe trip! Do you have my phone # ?
Hi there D - yes I have your address and phone number. I will need to mortgage my house at the amount I have paid in phone bills I have some talking to do to Ma Bell when I get home - I could have bought a vintage trailer with the likes of my phone bills down here!!!

I look very much to meeting you on Wednesday. The weather is to be nice so not sure if you want to do a bit of Yaking on the Thursday - I am having problems with my straps and they keep coming loose so I think I will have to duck tape them for my trip onto the interstates. I have not done very much Yaking - the weather really has not been that cooperative - and the days that are nice I have or had to move sites which does put a bosh on the day. It has been very cold mostly and windy and my back water kayaks are just not cut out for the ocean. Something I will have to plan better next year.

I have done more riding though - and now that Taz has done well in her recovery we have been going to the beach more too for long walks and let the girls swim.

Haily drank half the ocean on Saturday then promptly threw it up in the back of the truck - now my truck stinks and it is pouring with rain here and I will not have a chance to some how clean it - I need to get one of those little green machines So not sure if I will have time Wednesday morning to take care of it before I leave.

Well I am working on some photos right now to give to my friend on a G-Stick - pictures of our day at the beach with her boys and the three dogs. So I better get going.

Here is a shot of a sunrise at Myrtle Beach last Saturday..
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7149.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	78389

See you Wed sometime - I will touch base with you when I am on the road - with a quick call at some point. Please do not count on me for any specific time - I just never know when I am traveling with the girls how many stops they want... worse than kids I bet!!!

Old 04-14-2009, 06:09 AM   #2397
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Hello all

I Have not posted in a very long time. We still need the camp fire here, it sure has been a cold April so far.

We were gone with the Silver Dog House from the first of February until the middle of March. We are thinking that we should have stayed longer in the sunny, if not always hot or even warm south west.

We started with a week in and around Austin Texas, so we could visit our elder daughter, who is in graduate school at the Episcopal Theological Seminary of the South West (ETSS). We stayed in two different Texas state parks that were quite nice if expensive for our taste.

Then we spent most of a week at Padre Island at the National Seashore. Husband and I both loved it. It had been decades since I had seen the Gulf of Mexico. As a child we spent winter vacations on the Florida side. My husband had never spent any time on the gulf and found it very interesting and enjoyable. The beach was unfortunately extremely dirty in comparison to my pasat experience. We were told the worst of it had been cleaned up but that there was still a lot left over from Hurricane Ike. Husband was not however happy with the corrosion we found on the trailer, when we washed the salt spray off at a car wash, on our way off the island. So to my sorrow he says no more camping on Padre Island or the ocean at all.

I know there are other Airstreamers who camp regularly on Padre Island. One we met there told us to be sure to wash the trailer at the car wash before we left the island. Is there anyone out there who camps regularly on the ocean? How do you take care of, or prevent the corrosion caused by the salt? I have a sneaking suspicion, that it was the road salt from the drive down through winter and not the ocean. Does anyone have any ideas on that? Oh that reminds me. Our scond night out on the way south in February we found a state park in Oklahoma where the host was the only other person in the park. When we pulled in it was nearly dusk. The hostess turned on the lights in the restrooms for us and we had Hot showers. We also had water hookup and washed the trailer that night. We did a touch up in the morning and had sheets of ice forming, but the road salt was off. Man Oklahoma was cold, we had been hoping for warm by then.

From Padre Island we went west to Big Bend National Park. Again we ran into hurricane Ike damage. There had been serious flooding of the Rio Grande which had done a lot of damage to both campgrounds on the river. The geology and geography of the park are fascinating. We will definitely go back again.

Our next stop was in the Coronado National forest in south east Arizona. We returned to a campground we found last year and stayed much longer this time.

From there we spent time in both Saguaro Nation Park and Organ Pipe National Monument. The desert biology is fascinating. And ohhh the hummingbirds were beautiful We actually got three extremely hot days, low 90s, while at Organ Pipe. But fortunately it always cools of at night in the desert. The desert is beautiful I guess because it is so different from home. But the plants can be dangerous. The dog got into a cholla and it took some effort to free him of the spines. Husband got hooked in the process.

While in the Tuscon area we visited the Pima Air and Space Museum. Then we discovered another beautiful campground in the Chiricahua mts and stayed there several days. On the way back east we went through White Sands National Park and camped on top of a mountain in the Lincoln National Forest near a small mountain town with the descriptive name of Cloudcroft east of Alamagordo. It was very much still winter there. Cold and lots of snow. the dog loved it. And the price was right. Free, in a national forest recreation area parking lot. Our departure from the sunny south west took us through Roswell.

We camped in a lot of Wal-Mart parking lots between destinations. Some were noisy and at least one we had all to ourselves and was very quiet.

Once we got home we wished we had stayed another month - but I was expected back at work. So here we are with snow still in piles and on the north side of slopes, and freezing temperatures every night and only in the 40s or maybe low 50s during the day. BRRRRR!!! But it is time to clean up the yard and get the garden season started.
uluwene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:55 AM   #2398
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Thanks for such a great travelogue. Having grown up nearby in Waterford, Michigan I can remember those long snowy winters. I would have stayed out another month too! Well maybe next year!

Sharon, We can put your kayak in the back of the truck and spend sometime on Belews Lake. Hope its not real windy. I haven't been out in a month due to my travels, grands and the biggie -the weather but it looks hopeful for Thursday! We wil see you when you get here! Can't wait!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:25 PM   #2399
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Hello Sisters,

Ike and I have been in Gulf Shores, AL since Feb. 18 and plan to mosey on back to MI Thurs. am. No hurry, with a stop or two along the way. Not sure where yet.

It was good to re-new after the ordeal with my MIL's illness. There are boxes of her things waiting for us to go through when we get back. I don't like hearing about the cold in MI lingering but that might just give us some time to do that sorting before the really nice weather arrives.

Sharon, glad Taz is doing well and that you've had a nice break also. Peter must be quite lonesome for his girls. Please say I said, "Hi", will you? And the above pic is gor-g-us!!! You are so talented (you and Carol too).

Hope everyone had a lovely Easter as did we. (no ham but the grilled NY strips where yummm)

Will try to pick up on the forums after we get back.

Hugs to all from Gulf Shores,
suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:42 PM   #2400
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello Sue.. Do stop in Foley Alabama at Lambert's Cafe... home of the thrown rolls.. if you have not tried it, it is a great experience... Gulfshores is nice... we went from Foley to Texas and spent most of the winter in Zavalla at the Texas Airstream Harbour.. great place..Safe travels home..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:23 PM   #2401
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Ive been to Lamberts in Foley,, Great place!!!!
Old 04-16-2009, 06:25 AM   #2402
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Sharon and the ModPod have arrived!

Sharon and the girls made it about 8:45pm Taz and Hailey are beautiful and very well behaved. We sat up talking until after 11pm Today we are going to go exploring and take lots of photos! Our first forum visitor, how cool!
Old 04-16-2009, 06:30 AM   #2403
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Good morning Dannie... Say hello to Sharon for me please. The weather here is great... tell her safe travels from Annie and Marvin... Looking forward to seeing Peter and her soon.... Dannie maybe we will meet sometime this fall when we are are our way to Texas but have to go to South Carolina first... Annie
WBCCI 10103
Old 04-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #2404
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Just checking in real quick before I head to bed after spending an awesome day with Dannie and her Husband Richard. Princess is amazing and the decor and work that Dannie has been doing is so cool - I will post pics when I get home - (on my little lap top right now that barely boots up)

Dannie has shown me all around the area of Walnut Cove and a special tour of her painting studio. Their place here is so unique I could take 1000's of photos and never capture the atmosphere.

I have a great spot on the Church drive and where I landed put the Modpod almost perfectly level.

So I wish I could stay longer and will most certainly make a point of coming back and spending some time with Dannie and getting our hands dirty on Princess's restoration.

I am pulling out as early as my body will rise and will high tail it home all the way with several stops to water the dogs and the truck to get me home hopefully late Friday or the wee hours of Saturday morning.

I have had a great over winter experience - not exactly as I planned but then life is like that. I love the area between South Caronlina and North Carolina and just might be frequenting more as my Canadian winters take their toll on those who wish to tough them out - NOT ME!!!

So I will post a few more pics when I get home - and may be able to update my blog ha ha - was not very good at that I am afraid....

To those still traveling - drive careful....and those home - it is Rally season - so hopefully I may see some of you out there....

Dannie Good Luck with your first big trip with your Princess!

And Thank you and Richard so much for showing me a great time and all your hospitality - please let me return the favor one day when you come up our way.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:05 PM   #2405
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Hello Sharon.... Drive home safely and hope to see you soon..
WBCCI 10103
Old 04-17-2009, 06:15 AM   #2406
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Safe travels

It was wonderful meeting Sharon, Taz and Hailey. The time went too fast and hopefully we will get to spend more time on Sharon's next trip. Sharon really impressed me with her knowledge and gave me lots of encouragement that I can tackle future projects on the Princess.
Annie, you are welcome to make this a stop on your travels next fall. Richard and I met the same way that you and Marvin did
Still have a few more projects before next Thursday but nothing major! I actually feel pretty good about our maiden voyage as we are going to caravan with 3 other experienced campers and will be in good company.
Spring is really here and I know everyone is looking forward to a great summer. Lois G. haven't heard much from you, what are your travel plans for the summer? Laura, hope your family's heart is beginning to mend, I think of you often. North Carolina is a good stopping point and we would love to host any of the Silver Sisters on your travels, just pm me!
Old 04-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #2407
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
So fun to live vicariously through my sisters! I'm enjoying the travel logs and pictures. Please keep them coming. Are you all doing a sisters rally this year too?

Teresa
Old 04-18-2009, 04:27 AM   #2408
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Well that was a long drive - but great weather. Got home at 3:45 am Left Dannies at 9:30am. Easy border crossing - very quiet crossing at Ivy Lea - only about 5 cars in the line. Have to make several watering stops for the girls and for us all to stretch our legs when you are doing it solo with no spin off driver with you. Must train Taz or Haily to do that for me next trip.

I am bushed and heading to bed for a long sleep!!! Will post pictures tomorrow.

Thanks again Dannie

Marvin and Annie maybe you might pop up for a drink.