Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #3081
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Had no idea the Silver Sisters was a group. I am on the East coast, a Jersey Girl, but travel about 20k miles a Summer with Bambi in tow for work. I would love to meet others. I was all excited to figure our how to closemy lowdrain valve ( have you ever seen the ton on wires. And valves under theseat?). I am also almost finished switching to all LED lights, anda better shower head is up next. I admire all of you who tear your trailers apart and redo them, so clever.

Is there a schedule of gatherings?
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #3082
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Airbiscuit Send a message via Yahoo to Airbiscuit Send a message via Skype™ to Airbiscuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by aireseneca View Post
Greetings, Silver Sister...anyone near Ohio? I'm the one to push for camping and will be doing the driving and setting up the camper to tow. My husband helps me but he's not infected by the aluminitis bug the way I am.

I'm new to camping but have farm raised skills and independence. I'm hoping to find like minded souls out there.
There are quite a few of us here in Ohio.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #3083
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
lots of gals

Hope you get to come and camp with us sometime soon. We will be watching for you to tow in!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #3084
The Hen House

2011 23' International
Grand Blanc , Michigan
Hey Ohio...I'm in Michigan

I have followed this thread for a long time, but it seems all the sisters are near the west coast. I've wanted to be part of a Silver Sister caravan and am reaching out to anyone in the midwest. I saw a posting from Ohio and thought maybe we could connect.

I'm in my 50's and married a man who doesn't like to camp. He hunts, but doesn't camp. So he goes on hunting trips all over North America and I drive around in my Airstream with my little dog and somehow it all works out.

I'm a farm girl so I've got some hitch in my giddy-up. I'd love to put together something in Indiana, KY, IL, WV, Virginia, or MI...

Until then, I will keep subscribing and enjoying all the words of wisdom and the adventures of tested, tried, and true Silver Sisters!

Kelly

Mellen60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #3085
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Hi all! I'm in Missouri. South of Kansas City. Still working on the trailer so not quite ready to travel yet but I hope to keep in touch here.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #3086
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Hi Kelly, Hi Eljay!

We just may have the nucleus of the Silver Sister--MidWest Unit!

My trailer is not up and running yet. Just bought it last month and LOVE it but it needed a few minor tweaks and I've got the WD hitch on order--due to arrive in about 2 weeks.

Unfortunately, my free time is the mirror reverse of most people's. My small business I own is at its busiest on holidays and during summer vacay months-June, July, August. However that leaves me with 9 months of the year where it is more possible

But I'm ready to go "camp" in the A/S this summer even when it's parked in the yard!

We should find more local(er) Silver Sisters and make plans! We could piggyback with the OH TAC group and make the more the merrier!
1991 Excella 29 foot w/ProPride 3P hitch
2006 Jeep Commander-V8 4.7L Tow package
aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #3087
Rivet Master

Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Airbiscuit Send a message via Yahoo to Airbiscuit Send a message via Skype™ to Airbiscuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by aireseneca View Post

But I'm ready to go "camp" in the A/S this summer even when it's parked in the yard!

We should find more local(er) Silver Sisters and make plans! We could piggyback with the OH TAC group and make the more the merrier!
There are quite a few rallys in the Ohio area.
We looked at arranging a silver sisters rally a few years ago but they seem to over lap with other rallies that have a higher attendance rate. Maybe we can look at setting one up for next year near the mother ship. I know our schedule is pretty much packed and we make all our camping plans by January! We do run down to Findley SP quite a bit though since its not too far from home and is doable when hubs works Friday & Monday.

I maybe a bit biased but the Airbiscuit Anniversary Rally at the end of October is always a fun one and there is crafting and all sorts of stuff!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #3088
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Silver in OH and MI

There are several Silver Sisters in the area. Actually, the Silver Sisters original, founding members are in MI. They came up with the name and their first rally was held a bunch of years ago in OH, near the Mother Ship@Jackson Center, OH. We had a blast. Unfortunately, life gets in the way and so we have not gotten together for several years. Everyone seems too busy, and like Airbiscuit said, the other higher number rallies seem to gain the attention of more members going to them.
We look forward to meeting you all one day!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #3089
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Just found this thread! I got so excited. I felt like I was alone in a man's world before I found this thread. I just inherited my uncle's Airstream 1978 31' Sovereign and I have been obsessed with redoing it. However, I have NO carpentry skills, but I DO have a deep desire to learn. Just for inspiration and fun, how many of you Rivettes/Silver Sistas did your own renovating and Airstream work. What did you feel like you just had t have help on? Thanks and Happy Trails!
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #3090
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I did a bunch of the renovation on our 1971 TradeWind. The blog is way out of date, We've recently replaced all the interior bulkheads (room divider walls) and cabinet sides with birch.

It's hard to say what I did and what I had help on. My husband and I start by throwing ideas around. Then one of us starts building something. Sometimes the other one offers advice and/or suggestions. Sometimes these are appreciated and acted upon, sometimes not.

Between the two of us, we've done it all ourselves, from the axles to the awning. I generally do the wood and the fabric and he does the mechanical, lighting and plumbing. I knew basic sewing beforehand, and had done some woodworking. Working on the trailer, I've definitely gotten better at all of that, and I have learned to drill and set rivets. The idea of working with metal doesn't spook me any more.

Expertise can be learned. Tools can be borrowed, rented or bought.

It's all possible. How much time and effort do you want to spend?
Old 05-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #3091
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Hey all! Well I'm not Midwest or west coast but I am excited to see other aluminum addicted women on here. Its awesome to see so many other women traveling with and working on their own airstreams! Anyone down in the southeast?
And Kelly (Mellen60) I loved your blog, I think we are cut of the same cloth.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #3092
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Hey, I am down here in the southeast. I am next door in South Georgia. We have family in Fairhope AL
Old 05-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #3093
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Hey GAStreamin! Well I figure two of us makes a regional division, right?
I don't have family in Moultrie but a group of friends makes a yearly trip up there for a big swap meet/fair in November and since you have family in Fairhope maybe we can meet up sometime.
I am still working on 'Slim' but have our first trip at the end of June. A short trip to check everything out. We are tentatively planning to come to Moultrie in November, I hope Slim will be ready for a long haul.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #3094
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
And I just realized you have a sovereign too!
Old 05-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #3095
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.nolte View Post
And I just realized you have a sovereign too!
Do you have pics up of your Sov? Where are you taking it in June?
Old 05-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #3096
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAStreamin View Post
Just found this thread! I got so excited. I felt like I was alone in a man's world before I found this thread. I just inherited my uncle's Airstream 1978 31' Sovereign and I have been obsessed with redoing it. However, I have NO carpentry skills, but I DO have a deep desire to learn. Just for inspiration and fun, how many of you Rivettes/Silver Sistas did your own renovating and Airstream work. What did you feel like you just had t have help on? Thanks and Happy Trails!
I don't do electrical-once you let the smoke out of the wires, it's all downhill from there. I can do basic carpentry. Husband does most of the mechanical stuff (Harley tech-he's magic) He welds. I want to learn.

Power tools are the great equalizer.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:58 AM   #3097
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I'm in the southeast, Chattanooga, TN and love to visit new places and meet new friends. I am currently camping at Raccoon Mountain, TN for a bluegrass festival. This is our 23rd year of paricipation and there are more and more Airstreams coming every year! In the beginning, there were only 2 of us. I counted 5 of us last night!

Raccoon Mountain is a great campground. They have been making improvements every year and are putting sewer in at most sites. It is also close to everything in Chattanooga as well as all the outdoors stuff like hiking, canoeing, boating, etc.

Another good camping spot is DeSoto State Park. Maybe we can get a rally going there sometime soon!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #3098
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
GAStreamin - I do have some in my thread New Owners-67 Sovereign although I need to post some updated pics. In June we are headed to Rocky Bayou down near Destin, Fl. My daughter is so excited she has been practicing her snorkeling in the tub!

Hey KPosey - I've been in your area a time or two, TN is beautiful. I love the idea of a rally and Desoto is on my list to visit...so lets do it! My only request is that we do it in 2014 - some of us need axles before going that far. Would this be the first Silver Sisters Southeast Rally?
Old 05-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #3099
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Eljay - my husband likes to say 'One wire hook em up, two wire smoke em up' I'm glad to hear someone else uses the smoke theory of electrical wiring.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #3100
Glamper Girl

2008 23' International
Sunny San Diego , California
Hi Ladies,
Southern California is throwing it's FIRST ANNUAL GIRLS NIGHT OUT if any of you are interested in Rallying. Here's the thread link

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f47/...ml#post1294975

im happy to have stumbled accross your thread and hope to see some of you at our Rally.

warm regards,
Reiko
SilverWheels
silverwheels is offline   Reply With Quote