Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2010, 10:31 PM   #2861
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia View Post
Sharon, that is such good news for Peter. If you can, please tell how the Islets transplant works. It's not the whole pancreas? Our Steve has refused kidney/pancreas transplant though he qualified, like Peter, after all the testing, which truly is rigorous. He has opted for dialysis, but the idea of totally ending the diabetes after a lifetime of it is goosebumpy! Safe travels while on this trip. We just returned after two weeks on the shore of Lake Superior in northern Minnesota...so cooooool. And Missouri is SO hot and muggy in contrast. ~G

Short version....the islets are transfused through a tube into the Liver through a tiny incision in the back of the ribs.

There is a trade off though and that is the immune surpresent drugs which they have to be on for life. The program has had great success but there are a few people that just don't get through it and opt to let the islets die and come off the drugs and go back to needles or the pump.

I will write more and give you links when I get them.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:32 PM   #2862
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Sharon .. Glad to hear that all is going well. Even greater news to hear about Peter.. Keep in touch and drive safely..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:50 PM   #2863
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Sharon hope you can get to the RMVR rally while you are out there. Have you met up with Diane yet? It seems like ages since you last posted.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f289...lly-60329.html
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #2864
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Sharon hope you can get to the RMVR rally while you are out there. Have you met up with Diane yet? It seems like ages since you last posted.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f289...lly-60329.html

I am afraid I am a week too early...and have to keep truckin as they say.

Just drove down from Dubois to Rawlings and now heading to Larame.

The vista views along 287 WY were simply breath taking - such vastness it is unimaginable being from the east where everything is so compact and trees blocking your views.

I have really lucked out with the weather.

This shot taken at the edge of Teton National Park just outside of Yellowstone

Girls are enjoying the view too so much that they just closed their eyes in awe!!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3536.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	107824

Name:	DSC_3530.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	107822

Name:	DSC_3532.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	107826

Name:	DSC_3612.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	107823

Name:	DSC_3571.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	107825

Name:	DSC_3524.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	107821
Old 07-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #2865
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
It looks like you are having wonderful weather and taking in gorgeous scenery. MORE, please!!
Old 07-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #2866
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1963 View Post
Just drove down from Dubois to Rawlings and now heading to Larame.
Hmmm...DuBois MT > 5 hrs? I don't think so...it's 4 hours from Denver to Laramie...I used to travel there for business regularly. Oh well, maybe you've picked up some downhill speed coming out of Canada, eh?!

Check your PM Sharon - I sent you my address & cell #.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:27 PM   #2867
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Oh, BTW...if you stop in Laramie, check out Coal Creek Coffee - it's owner is an Airstream friend...and they make great coffee!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #2868
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Hey Sharon we are home until the 16th of August-are you coming our way?
Old 08-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #2869
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by danalee View Post
Hey Sharon we are home until the 16th of August-are you coming our way?
Hi there....Well today I changed my plans again - Peter is having to wait on medical drug coverage and apply so my two weeks cut out has now changed again putting me home for the 16th again.

I am in Wichita with a friend till this coming Wednesday leaving Thursday am and be in Kentucky for Friday Morning stay the weekend with my Ohio friends leave Sunday and heading south!. I will be leaving there on the 13th and be around Walnut Cove in the evening as per normal - so if you will have me again I would love to visit with you and Richard. That is if you have nothing planned for the Sat/Sun.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #2870
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Great news about Peter. Please give him our best wishes for a sucessful procedure and outcome. Also, safe travel to you....watch those brakes!

sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:23 PM   #2871
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
we will go with our hearts , Texas
Hi everyone... it is so heartwarming to come and catch up and see all seems well....

I wish I could tell you all that Gregg and I made our great adventure but we didn't ... he lost his battle on March 12 and well guess I lost it .. self pity what ever you want to call it.. we did have our dreams just laying in the big silver twinkie and I still have her along with our dogs... have no clue what to do next but I will try to come out of my cave and visit with you all... never know I might learn to work all this stuff one day.. well back to catching up and thank you so much to those who gave so much support when I barged in like a tornado just thought we had a yr not 4 months..... remember Sisters love that man no matter how mad you get that is one thing I can say is our last months were so so cherished and how I regret it took the final days for us to realize what we missed by silly bouts
Victorialhq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #2872
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Victoria,

So sorry to hear about Greg and was wondering about you. Sometimes you just have to withdraw and take the time to grieve. Do what you have to, then come on back out. The world awaits.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #2873
3 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht
Clovis , California
Victoria,
So very sorry to hear about your loss. What you said about treasuring the love ones in our lives is so true. Most of our disagreements are so unimportant but that is difficult for us to learn. I know things will be hard for you during this time but remember you have us.
Myrna
TAC: CA-3
LuvRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #2874
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorialhq View Post
Hi everyone... it is so heartwarming to come and catch up and see all seems well....

I wish I could tell you all that Gregg and I made our great adventure but we didn't ... he lost his battle on March 12 and well guess I lost it .. self pity what ever you want to call it.. we did have our dreams just laying in the big silver twinkie and I still have her along with our dogs... have no clue what to do next but I will try to come out of my cave and visit with you all... never know I might learn to work all this stuff one day.. well back to catching up and thank you so much to those who gave so much support when I barged in like a tornado just thought we had a yr not 4 months..... remember Sisters love that man no matter how mad you get that is one thing I can say is our last months were so so cherished and how I regret it took the final days for us to realize what we missed by silly bouts
Prayers coming your way sister. Truer words were never spoken than to not sweat the small stuff. May God grant you comfort as you work through your grief. Hope we can meet at a chick's rally down the road!

Teresa
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #2875
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
My condolences too Victoria. I wish you had more time together. Your advice is very wise and we thank you for the reminder. It is all too easy to get priorities jumbled in busy days but the real importance of our days should be the people we love and who love us. We are glad you are here and to hear you have traveling and visiting planned for the days ahead.

Carol
Old 08-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #2876
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
So sorry to hear of your loss but at the same time so very glad that you were able to have that extra time you thought you would not have with Greg.

As they say time will heal all wounds, but you will never loose all those memories and special times you have had with Greg. Let them soothe your heart and take all the time you need to pick up the pieces and carve out a new chapter in your life.

I really do hope that you will gain the strength and courage to venture out with your airstream and live the dreams and hopes for Greg in you heart and spirit. We are all here for you. You have been very strong through a very difficult time, which should prove to you that you can and will get through.

I hope that one day, we may meet on the big road of adventure and travel in our silver dreams.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #2877
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
So where is everybody?

I am now in Charleston where it is oppressively hot and humid. Only here for a few days and then heading on my last leg home leaving Friday.

It seems that I can not escape the heat no matter where I travel this summer.

I drove from Denver to Kansas - Wichita and spent four days in ridiculous heat at 106-7 I only stayed in the trailer one night to settle the dogs - but then I opted for my friends laundry room for the girls and inside AC for me. Of course we all spent most of the time inside!

I then headed to Kentucky for the weekend where it too was in the 104's both with unexpected Humidity. So I figured heck why don't I just go right into the heat, then I may appreciate this winter more - since I will have to forego my SnowBird activity this winter and next for school.

It has been a bit of a bummer cause I can't bring the girls with me in the car unless it is running and with no hook ups in several places I certainly can not leave them in the trailer - and some of the camp sites I have stayed at also do not allow you to leave your dogs unattended inside or out - go figure!!! I guess it is because of all the LITTLE yappy dogs that bark all day and run around like maniacs from window to window in the RV's - my girls just flop on the floor and sleep - oh of course if I do not leave the windows open for Taz to see she turns into a gerble and chews all the paper she can find.

It has been a great trip and I have seen a a lot of places I want to come back and spend more time, and others well just the fly by was enough tee hee. It all seems a blur now and I will have to sit down and get to all the photos I have taken. I will try and post a few more this week.

So Dannie are you still up for company? Let me know sweetie and I will keep in touch. Not sure what my pull out time will be on friday - so it maybe one of those pull in the church late at night and move over in the morning deals. All depends on what T and I get up to. It is terribly hot so I do not move too fast or I am drenched in seconds.

Would love to see you both if possible but don't change any plans or if I am imposing no worries. I know it is still rally time and you love to take off to the mountains - especially with this heat!!! Hey maybe I could meet you in the mountains??if you were headed that way.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #2878
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
on the road again......

Life is continuing on its usual crazy and hectic way. We will be here this weekend. We leave out next Mon. (16th) back to the mountains. Black Forrest campground in Cedar Mountain on the NC/SC border. My sister Beth had a brain aneurysm and is gravely ill. I have just returned from a week in Atlanta keeping vigil at her bedside. She is still on a ventilator but beginning to show signs of improvement. We left Queenie in storage at the campground so we have plenty of room for a visitor. It sounds like this maybe your last trip for awhile so I hope you can make it. We have the air on and you and the dogs are welcome inside!!!!!This has been the hottest summer-even in the mountains and I am more than ready for fall. We have some catching up to do-how is Peter?Just let me know-the welcome mat is always out for you my friend.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #2879
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Quote:
Life is continuing on its usual crazy and hectic way. We will be here this weekend. We leave out next Mon. (16th) back to the mountains. Black Forrest campground in Cedar Mountain on the NC/SC border. My sister Beth had a brain aneurysm and is gravely ill. I have just returned from a week in Atlanta keeping vigil at her bedside. She is still on a ventilator but beginning to show signs of improvement. We left Queenie in storage at the campground so we have plenty of room for a visitor. It sounds like this maybe your last trip for awhile so I hope you can make it. We have the air on and you and the dogs are welcome inside!!!!!This has been the hottest summer-even in the mountains and I am more than ready for fall. We have some catching up to do-how is Peter?Just let me know-the welcome mat is always out for you my friend.
Prayers coming your way for your sister.
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:42 AM   #2880
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
... My sister Beth had a brain aneurysm and is gravely ill. I have just returned from a week in Atlanta keeping vigil at her bedside. She is still on a ventilator but beginning to show signs of improvement. ........We have some catching up to do-how is Peter?Just let me know-the welcome mat is always out for you my friend.
Oh Dannie - I just read your post, I am so very sorry to hear of this and all my prayers are sent to you and your family and very special prayers to your sister in hopes for a full recovery!

Perhaps this would be a good time to share my big ole shoulders to help just a little to give you a bit of comfort from your dear friend.

I am leaving the camp around 11:00 - have some dog food to pick up and then Terri and I are having lunch and I will be on my way. By all accounts I should be there well before dark this trip - but I must leave around noon on Sunday.

My Father had a terrible fall last week and has horrendous bruises, and is refusing to go and have himself checked out so I am sure he is waiting for me to come home.

Peter is just about ready to be put on the recipient list - just waiting on a few medical financial clearances that he hopes he will receive by the end of this coming week.

I am waiting on a college schedule change approval that would put me only needing accommodation 2 nights a week for the first semester, instead of the full week. They have me with one class on Monday and one on the Friday. There are classes I can move to but they like to keep you in sections - I am hoping they will make an exception due to my financial situation, not eligible for any educational assistance, being married..see there are negatives to being married ROFL!

I have had a wonderful time with T - despite the heat and humidity - we even toughed out the golf course yesterday for nine holes. The girls have welcomed the AC.

Thank you for the offer to stay inside with you but I really do fear my girls would tear up your place after your ***** cats - I would be mortified if they caught one. They are shedding something awful too. My AC runs on a 20 amp plug and I am sure you are not as hot and humid up there as it is here - and it was at least one night possibly tolerable with all the windows and vents running. How about we play it by ear Your offer is so very generous.