Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2007, 12:07 PM   #261
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
Be sure to notch the seed before you plant it--maybe soak it in water overnight or a few hours or the thick shell on the seed will make it take ages to germinate.
G - I notch the morning glory seeds too. It gets 'em up and growing in no time.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:25 PM   #262
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Here's some nice cocoa!

Wow I love thinking about those summer plants!!
G and Jamie--I am going to notch/soak those moonvine and morning glory seeds for sure great tip!
We have two clumping bamboo plants and they don't spread (haven't for 6 years anyway), so I'm hoping that I can root them from a cutting. So far the deer have been taking their cuttings during the winter--I'm not doing the garlic cayenne pepper shaky shaky dance in this weather.
I had great luck with the love lies bleeding in full sun, Jamie. Not easy to grow from seed, I cheated and took it to a greenhouse, they grew it for me, of course for the price of a regular flat of flowers, but it was worth it.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:04 PM   #263
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Houston we are good to go...actually Okesmos we are good to go and will see you all Saturday.

The weather has cleared and we can expect sunny weather through to Saturday yippee going to leave a little later than originally intended to give the west side of Toronto a bit more time to clean up the roads and miss rush hour.

Jamie I would sure like it if this little trailer was in the South. Great idea - I will be in for a girls week holiday in the south!

Puppies are going to stay at home - just no time to get their letters from the Vet - we always travel with a clean bill of health letter so we do not run into any problems at the border. They will be fine at home although we never leave them....Our friends across the road will come and spend the night(s) with them until the Grandpaw and Nana arrive!!!

Carol I don't think I would call myself a real woman - just a sucker for punishment. But with the dishwasher door spring now sprung, the snowblower auger belt toasted this afternoon and the Yukon fixes yesterday - that is the three bad karmas - I am not counting the 69 Globe Trotter cause she did not move - only moving things
So only good Karma for the rest of the trip.

By the afternoon it was a lovely sunny day with a beautiful sky - Red Sky at Night Sailers Delight!!!

No heated seat though - but I have a tough butt so I am sure I can survive.

Jamie love your pics - girls I will have to get into the seed thing - I collect seeds from my perennials and mix them all together and toss them into the ground and hope for the best. I really never know what is going to come up where in my gardens. Like I said before - I have no idea what the flowers all are just love to take photos...

I think TinSista needs the medal here - always there with a great idea every twist and turn of our arrangments what a troupper. thanks Steph can't wait to meet you guys....

Chow... signing off till we get back - have to get my beauty sleep - actually I have housework to do now
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:23 PM   #264
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Thumbs up Fairy housecleaning

Sharon .. I am sending the fairy housecleaner to do the house for you... get lots of rest before you both leave tomorrow... travel safely and enjoy..give us a call when you have Rusty Rosee home... good luck.. Annie and Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:02 PM   #265
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Smile Safe Journey Sharon and Peter!

Hope the roads are clear and well salted!!
Old 02-15-2007, 03:12 PM   #266
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I am so happy to be meeting Sharon and Peter. This is so cool to be getting together at Steph's house with the new clan. Thank you Steph! Everyone be careful and see you on Saturday. Vickie will be leaving tomorrow with Jeff and Danielle Add one more to the Rivetter Shavers, Brad is coming too to keep Dave, Peter and Jeff company. What a great mid winter date. Rivette Rush, here we come! Can't wait to see little Sammie again too.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #267
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
You gals are blessed...getting together..ENJOY and write all about it on your return. Jamie, thanks for the warm photos. It is 0 and below here with LOTS of snow. Sharon made a fine decision leaving the dogs at home with the grandparents this time. OH..Rusty Rosee? Just learned of the new name.

Tin sista your red plant is beautiful. G. thanks for calling my attention to a Moon Vine. Do you think it will grow in New York State? Never heard of it.

Bamboo...you must have a different breed. We have "IT" at our cottage on the Lake and it has taken over our flower beds. The flower beds are on a hill and difficult to weed. There aren't many weeds but the BAMBOO...come take it away. I have discovered why I was having problems posting photos in my threads. My photos are 1280 x 960 and I must reduce them to 1024 x 1024 or less. Now try and figure...how to do that?

Pass the black coffee with some Brandy please.
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:31 PM   #268
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Hi, Aria. Moon Vine is a kissin' cousin to Morning Glory, I believe. If you can grow Morning Glory Vine in New York, Moon Vine should be fine too. Just as MG opens in early am with first light and is wilted and gone by late afternoon, so MV opens with sunset and is faded by morning light. You need both to have blossoms all day and all night long ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:37 PM   #269
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
The Professor Has Been Educated

G. Thanks for the info. I am into flowers and plants and will try this Spring.
I reduced the photo of the snow here on our GT and my husband. Will try to post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AirstreamSnowFloyd002.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	32404  
Old 02-15-2007, 07:19 PM   #270
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Hey, Silver Sisters, I just wanted to call your attention to the Rivettes Cafepress store that's set up now with the "We Can Tow It!" logo on wearables and fun stuff. I'm gonna wait for Sharon to get back home to help with re-sizing the logo for other small items, like a keychain for your Airstream keys, but just let me know if you want me to add any items that aren't there.

Happy shopping!

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 02-15-2007, 07:26 PM   #271
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Hi Jamie,
Great work! Just ordered a t-shirt.
Thanks,
Janet
Old 02-16-2007, 06:59 AM   #272
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Braided loop rugs

G. tin sista, We spoke of Braided loop rugs. I think I was able to reduce the photo to post. Now if works....next will be ME
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Braided looped rugs 004.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	32421  
Old 02-16-2007, 07:10 AM   #273
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Aria.. Hello.. Did you do this? I used to know how to do that... what is it called and I would like to do it again.. Thanks Annie..PS.. Looks great
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:17 AM   #274
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Hi Aria,
Wow that rug is beautiful!! I'd love to learn to do that!

I have fargesia nitida and murielae, they are very pretty--fountain like. That is a bummer about the invasive bamboo, we have a problem in Michigan with a plant called purple loosestrife, it is a very pretty plant with purplish flowers but takes over so fast it crowds out our native wildflower species. It is amazing how fast it propagates.

Jamie I just love that rivette store!! Camping and shopping, whats not to love about that?
Old 02-16-2007, 07:52 AM   #275
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Annie, This is old rags braid and loop rug. I have one made out of wool strips. Remember: you braid "just once" with the three strands and then work front to back back to front. No sewing ot the braids together. It lasts forever. I can make just braided faster and easier.

tin sista, your fargesia nitida bamboo is NOT like ours. And I love your purple
loosetrife. I would not mind having it spread. LOVELY

As you know we raise Call Ducks (photo posted) and I have their barn area fenced in surrounded with flowers, bushes etc. They walk around and fertilize and Make The Garden Grow. They enjoy watching me weed and work as they walk in the flower beds. They are small and just add to the beds..no mess...no damage. We love them.

This Spring we have two going to Iowa. They are Show Ducks. We have a magician who uses them in his show.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:55 AM   #276
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tin Sista -- I'm not sure about bamboo, but some invasives aren't invasive at all depending on the variety and where they're planted. For example, morning glory and moonflower can both be so invasive that they're outlawed in some states. In other areas, they're grown just like normal annuals or perennials with no problem. Bambo is definitely worth a try! I think that purple loosestrife is considered invasive anywhere. Beautiful though!.

Aria -- that rug is gorgeous! What's it braided out of?

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 02-16-2007, 08:42 AM   #277
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Here in our plant nurseries, we find beautiful hybrid loosestrife perennials that are stated to be non-invasive. My experience here in mid-Mo is that they do not self propagate, but the base plant will mature and increase in size, but in a good way. We love driving in northern-MN and seeing the vibrant rosy-purple colored flowers in roadside ditches, but they are dangerous invaders. As I understand it, they produce little wildlife seed themselves and crowd out the native plants that would support birds and little animals. Like the Sirens of mythology! They tempt you and then Wham! ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 02-16-2007, 08:47 AM   #278
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Aria, what do you mean by the front to back/back to front looping with no stitching? I love the look of your rug--thick and warm, and vibrant with color. Can you give us directions? Thanks, G By the way, what is a Call duck? I wish we could have hens and ducks here, but our German Shorthair thinks his mission in life is to patrol our place and pond to keep them bird-duck-goose-heron free. The birds don't care: they flutter to the willows and back to the feeders as soon as Moose is out of sight. However, the pond birds have learned to fly over and land in ponds of neighbors without a "Moose."
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 02-16-2007, 09:18 PM   #279
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Braid looped rug wool

G this is made with strips of new wool. More info to come
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Braided looped rugs 003.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	32463  
Old 02-16-2007, 09:30 PM   #280
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
G, You cut the strips of old rags or new material about two inches wide
The first rug I posted was made of old cotton rags...yes rags.
It is necessary to fold edges in and stitch the strips (this rug is new wool)

As in braiding you need 3 strips Braid once

Take one of the strips and loop in the previous row (going front front of rug to the back of the rug). Take that same strip and bring it to the front and pull it through. Continue and repeat

You have additional strips ready and you attach and keep repeating as if you were braiding. It is making a braided rug and once the braid is made you do not stitch the braids you've made....instead you loop back and forth.

They are very durable...last forever.

Call Ducks....I posted a photo. Did you see them? They are tiny yellow when they are born. As an adult they are the size of a baby duck. They are very small. There is a Call Breeders Association. They come in many colors.
We had other colors. Now we find it is easier to breed only Whites. They are show Ducks. We have a Pond and a fenced yard. The yard is full of perennials, bushes, and some climbing scarlet runner beans. A Duck Barn
and a Duck Nursery.