Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2009, 01:06 AM   #2621
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Ha - my airstream IS my love nest....

Quick resume...

H and I bought a 69 Globetrotter - fixed her up and spent a month south each winter, hit a few rallies and then his job changed. So we sold her. I felt like I was trapped with no escape pod - so all of about a month went by and I bought a 63 globetrotter that needed a lot of work. H and I tackled like clockwork and I went to my first Silver Sister Rally in Ohio - What an adventure. Met some fantastic women - that literally changed my life.

Then neighbour from H*ll crossed our path, Then H got sick, then garage caved in, then I got sick then Mother got sick, then Dad got sick. H, Dad and I got better, Mum did to some degree.

I got totally stressed and needing a life change I headed out by myself for a 2.5 month hiatus from everything. Returned home to a brand new RV garage. H was great, Dad no so good and neither was Mum - so I cared for them for a while. Then we were thrown into more land appeals and in between Mum died waiting for her dream home. And our lives were shattered. Neighbour dragged our lives out for 4 years and we lost every penny we have fighting for the right to build a house for my parents.

Now we are having to sell our home and most of our possessions, put in for a building permit on a house we don't even want - we could not even stomach living down there - but it is our only way to get back to 0 and start again with only 6 years to our retirement!

So as a House Stager spends time with us and the last 4 days we have virtually packed up most of our house hoping to get the house on the market for the 15th - we have renos to do Xmas decorations to do and a garage FULL of stuff to sort and take to the auction and dump and pack and store away indefinitely.

And to top it all - we have no idea where we are going to live or what we are going to do - other than the next step is to build a house to sell it - and live in a trailer and a boat at the water front lot while doing so.

But the positive - I am almost 49 and I am going back to school!!! I am signed up to take a double diploma in Paralegal/Law Clerk and I am heading straight into Municipal, Land and Environmental Law. In 1.5 years I will be eligible to jump into UNB and complete my Bachelors Degree in Applied Management which will then allow me with my combined Education and Employment experience to apply to the School of Law (in the US). Of course this part is the icing on the cake and one of those bucket list items.

I hope to within the next year work toward my own consulting business with my Paralegal License to follow shortly.

Yep Lou and Larry - you know exactly where I am headed with this don't you. If I can do one thing in my life and that is to change a system that is so damn corrupt and unfair - it is the OMB and the Provincial Planning Act! No one should have to go through what Peter and I have - to build a simple 1100 square foot home in keeping with the surrounding development meeting all the regulating agencies permits, with a reasonable request for relief on the set backs to simply have "neighbours" throw us into an appeal system that SUCKS! (no better word comes to mind)

So I start in Jan and finish just before my surgery - yep a new ankle at the end of April. I hope to at least sit and enjoy the view of our beautiful waterfront lot while they build a house on there - I will enjoy gloating at the DR. - we may be Rocky - bloodied soar and broken - but we are not defeated! And we have the last say as it has always been OUR land NOT HIS - and HOW dare he think he has the right to privacy on OUR Land and to think he is any better with more privileges because of his D and R!!!

Sorry Sheryl - you have caught me at quite a time in my life! and easily taken off track....

I love my Airstream - any airstream and all airstreams. I love the independence. And yep women traveling alone get quite a lot of people coming up and commenting on how amazed they are that we are alone and doing all that their H's are doing.

I am sure we could all tell some pretty crazy stories....

We "Easterners" are long over due another Rally -but we need to get it out of Michigan tee hee - no offense MICHIES?? - but how about a trip to Kansas - that would be cool - of course I would come on over to Mich and Caravan down with you all. Seems I may have quite a bit of the summer off!!! But I have to wait till I can walk again.

Face book is a great idea too - I don't visit it much - just no time but would be interesting to see how many outside this forum there may be out there.

PS for those following - Peter is motivated now to finish the LadyBug - hmm that will be re-named as he wants it for him!! ha could it be cause I keep calling the ModPod Mine....

He has had to sell his tracker so I told him he will need his own TV too

But I think he is into the idea of becoming Captain K - he has really missed not having his boat in the water these past two years! and he does not get to travel south with me either poor fellow - really needs a break from all this stress.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:41 AM   #2622
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Well Sharon I was just about to email you to see what was going on. Good Luck with all your plans. If you need a place to recuperate we have plenty of room!Would love to do a rally in NC but just don't know how to go about it-maybe we can get together on it.
Sheryl, my husband has some serious heatlh problems and I do most of the hooking up and driving. He can "back up" and I am working on it but I do all the hook up and all the driving. We made several trips to the mountains and I did just fine. I have found that there are so may people willing to help that I feel pretty confident. On one trip we met an 85 year old woman who drove a huge motorhome and towed a car. She was with a group of mostly female retired "singles" and it really encouraged me to keep on keeping on.We have met and made some great friends throughthis forum. I love the FB idea.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:53 AM   #2623
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via MSN to JulianneJ
Wow this was a busy thread overnight!

I love the FB idea. There is a WBCCI group on there but not a Silver Sister page, at least not that I know of.

Would love to meet some of you gals out East. I am in Arizona but I do travel all over the country. I am lucky enough to have the freedom to do that. One reason I packed up and moved out here from Seattle was to experience new places, still haven't seen all that the SW has to offer but I am getting there. One of my closest friends lives in Minneaplois, Kansas and is always asking me to tow on up there. So many places I want to see and experience.

Caravaning is a blast. I hadn't done it until recently because I am so use to taking off on my own. My friends Louis & Sergio have a '62 Ambassador, we caravaned to Northern New Mexico and back together (around 1200 miles). It was a treat for me since I usually just travel with my pooches, not really stopping much. With Louis & Sergio we stop to have leisurely lunches and nice long rest stops, they have two dogs as well. Its nice to have someone to chat along the way with. We even talked about getting CB's so we dont have to text and drive!

2003 International CCD
JulianneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:01 AM   #2624
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by iairstreamKS View Post
First, I'm trying to figure out how to post some photos. Ok, I may have it figured out.

Second, why isn't there a "group" called silver sisters? or is there? Shouldn't we create a group, and a facebook group and get Airstream Women all over the country (and world) to communicate with?

Sheryl
Sheryl~ Where were those beach pics taken? Camping close to water is my favorite too but I haven't been able to get as close to actually putting my chair right on the beach.

2003 International CCD
Old 12-07-2009, 09:20 AM   #2625
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Lou and Larrita (aka Larry) here

Ditto the love nest thing, Sharon!
Larry and I are both retired. I retired to do some traveling with Larry but he had a heart attack and 5 stents in his heart. Thought I could retire after 31 yrs. of teaching fourth grade. Retired and then got full custody of my parents who were not able to care for themselves. So for the past 9 yrs. we were caregivers for them. Both are passed now. We have a little Argosy Minuet. March we found a beautiful Excella 1989 29 ft. rig. We have enjoyed getting out and about more this summer. Larry retired from owning and operating his own steel hauling trucks/trailers so you know he doesn't like ME behind the wheel. I do the hitch up and loading part. He does the driving. You can look back and find Larrita in the photos. We were anxious to meet all of the fine women that we have been talking to on this forums for several years, so Larry went with me to the very first Silver Sisters rally.....dressed in drag. He is comfortable in his masculinity! We had a blast!
Nice to meet the rest of you!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #2626
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
There are lots of us women who tow, back, hitch and unhitch. Meeting more every day. My motto is that if he can do it, it can't be that hard! HA HA! In fact I just bought a motor home that is in Maryland. I am in Tennessee. My bf doesn't want me going to get it alone and he is busy. I assured him that I could do it. Afterall, I've been towing a trailer a lot longer than I have known him! In talking with a male friend of mine, he said that he would have to have a talk with the bf to let him know that I don't need him to take care of me, just to love me. I'm going up on Jan. 2 with or without him!

Whey, glad that is out! Can someone pass the hot chocolate? I have some Bailey's to share.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #2627
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
MMM baileys thanks Kathy. You go girl! Congrats on the new moho

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #2628
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by kposey View Post
There are lots of us women who tow, back, hitch and unhitch. Meeting more every day. My motto is that if he can do it, it can't be that hard! HA HA! In fact I just bought a motor home that is in Maryland. I am in Tennessee. My bf doesn't want me going to get it alone and he is busy. I assured him that I could do it. Afterall, I've been towing a trailer a lot longer than I have known him! In talking with a male friend of mine, he said that he would have to have a talk with the bf to let him know that I don't need him to take care of me, just to love me. I'm going up on Jan. 2 with or without him!

Whey, glad that is out! Can someone pass the hot chocolate? I have some Bailey's to share.
Amen sistah! I dated a guy for 3 weeks, we were going to go camping, he actually thought I was going to let him drive and tow my Airstream, think again pal. That was the end of that relationship.

2003 International CCD
Old 12-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #2629
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
A little trivia on the silver sister front... The birth of the Rivettes...

Along long time ago in a far away burg there was a regional meeting for a Doe Toe with our Western Sister Michelle, a Rivette Rush when Sharon came from Canada to retrieve another of her Airstreams, A Summer Solstice, our first rally held to visit the motherland, the Airstream factory, a luau where Vicki seasons, and then another the folowing year, the We Can Tow It Rally. In the fall we rallied in the Mackinaw area, somewhere along the line naming Laura Miss Rivette!

Click image for larger version

Name:	wecantowit.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	92201

We had several very nice logos that were created expressly by and for the Rivettes by Stephanieand Jamie, Sharon and I, but Steph has been our graphics expert printing signs for every rally and making Rosie real and making us Rivettes!!

Name:	rosieasp.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	92208 
Name:   RSSRLogo%20copyLR.JPG
Views: 201
Size:  26.3 KB

Sharon decided the Board needed to be identified so she came up with this whimsical picture.

Name:	Furry%20Board%20Rivettes.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	92210

photography
Old 12-07-2009, 01:36 PM   #2630
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Bf's can be a pain in the as.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #2631
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
And so I leave it to you to guess which one is "Larita." Please add you favorite Girl Power pictures whether they be solo, rally or your Airstream. Thanks for letting us walk down memory lane with you. I know many of you have recently joined us here at the campfire.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_7692A.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	92214   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9758A.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	92215  

Name:	pose.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	92216   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3116.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	92217  

Name:	My%20best%20friend%2C%20Larrita.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	92218   Click image for larger version

Name:	campground.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	319.9 KB
ID:	92219  

Name:	poshnosh.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	331.5 KB
ID:	92221   Click image for larger version

Name:	pour.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	92222  

Name:	100_8142.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	92223   Click image for larger version

Name:	rivettes.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	92230  

photography
Old 12-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #2632
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Chico , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by iairstreamKS View Post
So, I'm curious how many ladies out there actually have their own Airstreams and hitch them up and hit the road on their own? I haven't met any women up until now, and I'm curious how common it is.
Sheryl
Hi Sheryl,
I'm new here too. Until I found these forums recently, I thought I might be the only woman traveling solo with my new airstream. I do take my dog with me. He's an australian shepard named Skipper, but he's not much help with the hitching/unhitching, etc. I have noticed that people seem very surprised when they figure out I'm traveling alone and taking care of everything myself. I'm in my late 30's, and I work as an Engineer for a fire department in Northern California, so I'm used to driving large vehicles. I'm hoping to go to the Western Silver Sister's rally in March. I think it'll be fun to meet other women-travelers
reshecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #2633
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Chica towsters

I hope you can both make it to the rally in March. Going to be a fabulous time by the lake!

2003 International CCD
Old 12-07-2009, 05:46 PM   #2634
3 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht
Clovis , California
Hi Everyone,
On 12/1 I flew to El Paso (in the snow) to pick up my "new" 30' 1995 AS Mo Ho and drove it back home. I'm so excited about it and looking forward to all the AS rally's and events. I've travel around the US my whole life, been RVing since 2001-crossing the country twice and down Baja 3 times. These trips have not always been alone but always in my rig. I've raised 4 boys, lived on a boat with my cat for 12 yrs. I'm a retired RN, am 73 and hope for many more yrs of traveling. My biggest worry is maintance on the MH. Looking forward to Mar!!
Keep Moving Even if You Have to Push.
LuvRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:26 PM   #2635
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Prairie Village , Kansas
Oh My!!!

Wow ladies! I love it. "I AM NOT ALONE AFTER ALL!"

Thanks for the photos and the history. I love those shots of the ladies in the muscle pose. Too cool.

I'm going to start a FB page.

OK I just did it. see if it works!!!!

Silver Sisters's Photos - Sheryl and her Bambi | Facebook

i guess now i have to be the administrator of it. See if others can add photos to it?????

Give me feedback and let's make it another great way to communicate! Women only!!!!!
iairstreamKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #2636
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Prairie Village , Kansas
Facebook page is up!!!

Silver Sisters's Photos - Sheryl and her Bambi | Facebook

check it out and see if i did it right?!!!

Sheryl
Old 12-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #2637
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Prairie Village , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1963 View Post
Ha - my airstream IS my love nest....

Quick resume...

H and I bought a 69 Globetrotter - fixed her up and spent a month south each winter, hit a few rallies and then his job changed. So we sold her. I felt like I was trapped with no escape pod - so all of about a month went by and I bought a 63 globetrotter that needed a lot of work. H and I tackled like clockwork and I went to my first Silver Sister Rally in Ohio - What an adventure. Met some fantastic women - that literally changed my life.

Then neighbour from H*ll crossed our path, Then H got sick, then garage caved in, then I got sick then Mother got sick, then Dad got sick. H, Dad and I got better, Mum did to some degree.

I got totally stressed and needing a life change I headed out by myself for a 2.5 month hiatus from everything. Returned home to a brand new RV garage. H was great, Dad no so good and neither was Mum - so I cared for them for a while. Then we were thrown into more land appeals and in between Mum died waiting for her dream home. And our lives were shattered. Neighbour dragged our lives out for 4 years and we lost every penny we have fighting for the right to build a house for my parents.

Now we are having to sell our home and most of our possessions, put in for a building permit on a house we don't even want - we could not even stomach living down there - but it is our only way to get back to 0 and start again with only 6 years to our retirement!

So as a House Stager spends time with us and the last 4 days we have virtually packed up most of our house hoping to get the house on the market for the 15th - we have renos to do Xmas decorations to do and a garage FULL of stuff to sort and take to the auction and dump and pack and store away indefinitely.

And to top it all - we have no idea where we are going to live or what we are going to do - other than the next step is to build a house to sell it - and live in a trailer and a boat at the water front lot while doing so.

But the positive - I am almost 49 and I am going back to school!!! I am signed up to take a double diploma in Paralegal/Law Clerk and I am heading straight into Municipal, Land and Environmental Law. In 1.5 years I will be eligible to jump into UNB and complete my Bachelors Degree in Applied Management which will then allow me with my combined Education and Employment experience to apply to the School of Law (in the US). Of course this part is the icing on the cake and one of those bucket list items.

I hope to within the next year work toward my own consulting business with my Paralegal License to follow shortly.

Yep Lou and Larry - you know exactly where I am headed with this don't you. If I can do one thing in my life and that is to change a system that is so damn corrupt and unfair - it is the OMB and the Provincial Planning Act! No one should have to go through what Peter and I have - to build a simple 1100 square foot home in keeping with the surrounding development meeting all the regulating agencies permits, with a reasonable request for relief on the set backs to simply have "neighbours" throw us into an appeal system that SUCKS! (no better word comes to mind)

So I start in Jan and finish just before my surgery - yep a new ankle at the end of April. I hope to at least sit and enjoy the view of our beautiful waterfront lot while they build a house on there - I will enjoy gloating at the DR. - we may be Rocky - bloodied soar and broken - but we are not defeated! And we have the last say as it has always been OUR land NOT HIS - and HOW dare he think he has the right to privacy on OUR Land and to think he is any better with more privileges because of his D and R!!!

Sorry Sheryl - you have caught me at quite a time in my life! and easily taken off track....

I love my Airstream - any airstream and all airstreams. I love the independence. And yep women traveling alone get quite a lot of people coming up and commenting on how amazed they are that we are alone and doing all that their H's are doing.

I am sure we could all tell some pretty crazy stories....

We "Easterners" are long over due another Rally -but we need to get it out of Michigan tee hee - no offense MICHIES?? - but how about a trip to Kansas - that would be cool - of course I would come on over to Mich and Caravan down with you all. Seems I may have quite a bit of the summer off!!! But I have to wait till I can walk again.

Face book is a great idea too - I don't visit it much - just no time but would be interesting to see how many outside this forum there may be out there.

PS for those following - Peter is motivated now to finish the LadyBug - hmm that will be re-named as he wants it for him!! ha could it be cause I keep calling the ModPod Mine....

He has had to sell his tracker so I told him he will need his own TV too

But I think he is into the idea of becoming Captain K - he has really missed not having his boat in the water these past two years! and he does not get to travel south with me either poor fellow - really needs a break from all this stress.
Girl, That's a lot of good background. I feel like we'd need to get on the phone for me to appropriately respond! I have had a bad year too, but I feel for you and all of your pain. You've really been put through the ringer.

Proud to know you strong women who take the world by the balls. yippee!
Old 12-08-2009, 08:01 AM   #2638
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Prairie Village , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianneJ View Post
Sheryl~ Where were those beach pics taken? Camping close to water is my favorite too but I haven't been able to get as close to actually putting my chair right on the beach.
Hey Julilanne, those pictures were taken last year in February in Ft. Myers beach Florida. The RV park is right on the beach and it's called the RED COCONUT. It's hard to get into, almost have to book a year in advance. In fact, I think I better call them today and check my reservations. My parents go down there each year for a few months and they want me and the girls to fly down, but I'd much rather hit the road with my Airstream.

Anyone have nick names for their trailers? I need a good one for my Bambi.

Anyone travel to Florida from the Midwest in late February? That would be a great caravan to plan!!!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 08:07 AM   #2639
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Prairie Village , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianneJ View Post
Wow this was a busy thread overnight!

I love the FB idea. There is a WBCCI group on there but not a Silver Sister page, at least not that I know of.

Would love to meet some of you gals out East. I am in Arizona but I do travel all over the country. I am lucky enough to have the freedom to do that. One reason I packed up and moved out here from Seattle was to experience new places, still haven't seen all that the SW has to offer but I am getting there. One of my closest friends lives in Minneaplois, Kansas and is always asking me to tow on up there. So many places I want to see and experience.

Caravaning is a blast. I hadn't done it until recently because I am so use to taking off on my own. My friends Louis & Sergio have a '62 Ambassador, we caravaned to Northern New Mexico and back together (around 1200 miles). It was a treat for me since I usually just travel with my pooches, not really stopping much. With Louis & Sergio we stop to have leisurely lunches and nice long rest stops, they have two dogs as well. Its nice to have someone to chat along the way with. We even talked about getting CB's so we dont have to text and drive!
Ok, so you're up for a road trip! I am near Kansas city and live in a beautiful lake community and my parents have land nearby where Airstreams can park! She owns a beautiful bed and breakfast and a few Airstreams could park there I bet! Back n Thyme Guest House & Herb Garden

I just started a new job, and just winterized the bambi, but I'm up for a trip in Feb or March! I want to try and go to CA for that Rally. I couldn't do both (FL and CA) I would have to choose.

Sheryl
Old 12-08-2009, 08:13 AM   #2640
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Florida

I figured that was Florida...nice! I've been there twice but neither time was in "Lucy". Someday!
There is a place in San Diego I like to go, not right on the beach but on Mission Bay. Same deal need to book a year in advance or only go for a few days in the middle of the week. Ideal for escaping the heat here in the summer.

2003 International CCD