Old 05-19-2008, 09:48 PM   #1709
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks for the news. Ah that is terrible. Glad they are alive. I hope they can work miracles with them. Bob the link isn't working for me. What kind of intruder, and what happened to the parents?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:07 AM   #1710
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
Eagle Nest Update

Morning Carol, and All
To answer your question about the attack. It was a juvinile eagle, juvinile dilingquent is more like it. The chicks were rescued and are being cared for. One has a cracked beak. Prognosis is good. The other eaglet may have a broken wing. Of course that recovery may take time.
About the link, try this. Go to Inside Out's post 1506 on pg.31 of this thread, and click on where it says more info. Then click on the nest observation lead. Hopefully that works for you.
There is not that much news on the parents, but I believe they are fine. They were most likely hunting at the time of the attack. I know the chicks were not as cute as when they first hatched, and some of us did,nt tune in as often. (guilty)... But they were so cute practicing thier wing flapping exersizes. Anyway they are in good hands, and will be well cared for.
Bob,

Old 05-20-2008, 05:23 PM   #1711
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Hi Bob, I went over to the link you suggested and found and read all I could in the way of recent posts and the update given in the IWS Crew PH nest update by Ingrid. Very dedicated team it seems and I too am grateful they were able to respond so quickly and rescue the eaglettes. Watched a little of the empty nest and shared a few minutes of the parents' syndrome. Bittersweet, thank goodness not tragic.

I had not kept up with the bird watch myself. I would have loved to see them flapping their wings. It would be nice if they were replaced in the nest and the parents returned and all be reunited.

CHIL EagleCAM -> IWS Crew PH nest update

photography
Old 05-20-2008, 06:01 PM   #1712
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
Hi Carol,
Yeah that Eagle cam is such a facinating tool allowing us a birdseye view into the lives of these wild creatures. I was looking forward to the banding process that would have taken place next week I believe. A few weeks later the babies would have learned
to fly, and may or may not have returned to the nest after that. We would have had ringside seats for all of that. but it is not to be for this year now. That makes me sad. There is news on the discussion board though to keep up on, of these two eaglets and of other nests in that area.
Keeping Skye and Spirit in my thoughts and best wishes for a speedy recovery and long lives.
Bob,
Old 05-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #1713
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Talking OT - drink mix recommendations?

I thought this fun lovin' bunch would be the right crowd to ask for some party help, hope that is o.k. since it is not AS related. Well, our AS will be a hang out spot for some during the party!

I haven't had a mixed drink in ages, but would like to have some on hand in addition to beer and wine for our Memorial Day BBQ party.

Anyone have any recommendations of popular drinks - what mixer to buy and what alcohol goes with it?

I was thinking margarita mix (brand?) and tequila (brand?)
Mojito mix (brand?) and what liquor (and brand?). Haven't tried a Mojito yet.

What else? Would like to have at least 3 options that offer a variety of tastes. Not sure how different a Mojito and a margarita are.

Not sure where my blender is since the move, might have to be pourable mixes w/alcohol and ice cubes, and guest can just help themselves.

How about a liquor to just serve cold? There is a new lemon one out, forget the name, not sure if it is served by itself or mixed with something.

Party ideas anyone?!

Thank you
Lynda

ps while we're at it, any easy, make-ahead crowd-pleasing recipes you care to share?

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #1714
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
google

Here is a site that has a great list of currently popular drinks:
http://www.fineliving.com/fine/entertaining/article/0,2498,FINE_22197_5148783,00.html?affiliate=blocke r&omnisource=SEM&c1=Cocktails&c2=Google&c3=Cocktai l%20Recipes&c4=mix%20drinks%20recipe&c5=Paid%20Sea rch&s_kwcid=mix%20drinks%20recipe|2332914588http://www.fineliving.com/fine/entertaining/article/0,2498,FINE_22197_5148783,00.html?affiliate=blocke r&omnisource=SEM&c1=Cocktails&c2=Google&c3=Cocktai l%20Recipes&c4=mix%20drinks%20recipe&c5=Paid%20Sea rch&s_kwcid=mix%20drinks%20recipe|2332914588

And how about some non-alcoholic ones for those (like me) who don't do alcohol??
Here is a nice sweet dessert/appetizer that is easy and fun to make. Larrita made them for the We Can Tow It rally a few weeks ago. I think you can go to that thread and see them.
LornaDoone cookies
1 pkg. cream cheese
strawberry preserves
some nice big strawberries
Let the cream cheese soften and then stir in 3 big tablespoons of strawberry preserves. Mix thoroughly til smooth. Use a teaspoon to put a dollop of this mixture on top of each LornaDoone cookie. Slice the strawberries into coin like slices. Put one slice on top of the dollop on each cookie. They are a sweet treat.
Most importantly...Have fun at your party!

Anyone camping over the Memorial Day weekend?
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #1715
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhawk
I hate to bring bad news but,there was an attack at the eagle's nest earlier this afternoon. both young ones knocked out of nest by intruder. last report at 7:00ish both found on ground one with damaged bill both alive. More info at www.chil.vcoe.org I hate bringing this news.
Bob, Silverhawk
I haven't followed them the last week...I just found out about this this morning...bummer. Pretty upsetting video (and sound of rescue) especially, if you've been following them.

YouTube - Skye & Spirit's Ordeal - From Attack to Rescue

YouTube - K10 Brings Breakfast to an Empty Nest

Mom & Dad looked so confused to return to an empty nest ~ hope they all recover

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:34 AM   #1716
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks Shari, we watched the video today. It is great the rescuers were promptly on the scene. The babies are much bigger than I thought they would be. The one looked to be a force to be reckoned with and made a pretty good stand against the intruder, was impressive for a young one I thought.

Here's an update on the chicks. CHIL EagleCAM -> Update on PH Chicks copied below,

"Hey All,

Peter sent me some pictures of the PH chicks from the vet clinic. Spirit has a broken bill that should heal nicely, but they wanted to keep the bird for a few days just in case infection becomes a problem. Skye has a broken humerus bone that should also heal nicely in 3-5 weeks. At this point we're planning to release both birds from our hack-tower here on the island, using the same techniques we used throughout the reintroduction phase of the project, so it's something we're well practiced in and we expect both birds to have a great chance at success.

Dave

Here are a few photos Pete sent me from the OC vet clinic.
Click image for larger version

Name:	0005.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	60837
Spirit being checked by the vet

Name:	0008.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	60838
A close up of Spirits bill injury - probably caused by a talon.

Name:	0011.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	60839
Skye getting a looking-over by the vet. The broken wing is wrapped with red 'vet-wrap'.

Name:	baldeagle65_iws_rwing_05-20-08.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	60840
Skye's x-ray - You can see the break in the bone pretty clearly. The vet said the break is in a good spot to be relatively easily mended."

photography
Old 05-22-2008, 09:41 AM   #1717
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
WOW, will these babies have a chance to be reintroduced to the wild?
Old 05-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #1718
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
time to Party!!!

Hey Lynda, perfect timing! It's the holiday and time to party! Great idea to share drink and food recipes. I certainly would like to have some to add to my entertaining ideas.

Lou I am so glad you posted your strawberry shortcake recipe. We were just talking about how wonderful those were and I want to try making them sometime. Thanks!

Here's what the temptations look like. They are as pretty as they are delicious. It's as yummy as traditional shortcake but even better!!! YUM. May I have another?

Name:	IMG_9870.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	60843

Who else has some goodies to share? Food and drink has always been a subject very near and dear to my heart.

Hey Laura any good drink recipes from Donna Sue's book, or care to share a bar trick or story from that trailer chic gal? tee hee

photography
Old 05-22-2008, 09:58 AM   #1719
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets
WOW, will these babies have a chance to be reintroduced to the wild?
On the video they said they were quite healthy. They look pretty hearty to me.

Terresa, have you been narrowing down your choices for a floorplan or planning on going to the MD rally and looking around in August?

photography
Old 05-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #1720
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
On the video they said they were quite healthy. They look pretty hearty to me.

Terresa, have you been narrowing down your choices for a floorplan or planning on going to the MD rally and looking around in August?
Funny you should ask We have decided on a 25' FB twin Safari SE. We are going to come to the MD for the open house but will not be able to camp because DBIL is having his 50th BD party that afternoon.

The when is another matter....I'm a weight watcher for half of my life....Have done pretty well taking off 40 pounds over the last year. I still have plenty to go. Hubby and I are now participating in the "Airstream Weight Loss Challenge" When I get to my goal weight, he agreed we can go and order/buy the AS of my dreams.

I've customized my WW tracker booklett which runs 12 weeks with a new AS cover with some inspirational words. The back cover has a reduced size copy of the floor plan with the twin bed part cropped in along with two other campsite pics (from your women's rally thread ) Each week I start with a new pic...last week a shot of the kitchen, this week the one with a camper pulling into the campground)

I lost 3 pounds this week! I'm hoping by next spring I'll be shopping with the hubby for something silver. From what I have read it may be a Silver Cloud instead of a Safari. Both happy names.

Wish me luck!
Old 05-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #1721
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Woo Hoo! Now that's what I call a bonus! That's the kind of incentive program that really motivates. You keep on keeping on. We'll cheer you on.

25' is a great size and the SEs are so cool looking. I bet this will be the fastest results any program or challenge has seen.

Do you think now my DH will get the notion to take the AS away if I keep eating chocolate?

photography
Old 05-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #1722
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Do you think now my DH will get the notion to take the AS away if I keep eating chocolate?
LOL! Let's hope not

I appreciate the support and I'll check in with my progress.