Old 02-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #141
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Unfortuantely the 17th is full for me. Work and then evening plans. I might have a couple of hours open in the afternoon is all.

uluwene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:34 PM   #142
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Nancy I love your avatar!

Old 02-02-2007, 03:46 PM   #143
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Thank you. That is part of a photo of a family of blue birds that hung around our yard all winter one year.
uluwene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:10 PM   #144
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
Somewhere...Over the Rainbow...! Bluebirds Sing.... One of my favorite songs EVER!!!

http://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:14 PM   #145
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Our bluebird pair stayed well into late fall this past year. First they nested in a box I hung on a porch column on our son's place, but after fledging happened, they were still around. I don't understand their cycle well, so I have no idea if they nested for a second hatch somewhere near. Does anyone know their habits?
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:29 PM   #146
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Hi Georgia, Nancy, great info about blue birds.
I saw this on the web
Bluebird FAQ and it suggests that if there is food and shelter the bluebirds will overwinter in the northern areas. I am so inspired now to get some boxes and mealworm for next season. I just love the birds, we have lots that come around and we love to feed them, many woodpeckers, cardinals, blue jays, etc. Haven't seen any bluebirds here, but we have lots of hawks, so maybe with some boxes...
Old 02-03-2007, 08:12 PM   #147
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
We feed too. I found an ad from Orscheln's Farm and Home Supply this fall that offered terrific prices on large quantities of bird seed, so I stocked in for winter: put seed in garbage cans for easy access and rodent control (!). Who could have known that we had an unusually cold icy winter ahead? We've replaced seed and suet cake several times a week for a large varied flock of birds who have graced our place since early December. Our cardinal bunch is still growing so somehow the word spreads. We've been coated with several inches of ice for weeks now, and I just throw seed out for the ground feeders on the ice. I know I'll have an awful weed mess in the back yard this summer from seeds that will sprout, but who cares. We too have hawks overhead who take note of our activity. Our barn cats lurk, but are mostly unsuccessful. Our winter garden is full of color and life from the birds. Love 'em!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:42 PM   #148
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Nancy, Georgia, and any other bird-watching sisters: You sound like great candidates for Project Feeder Watch (ongoing) and/or the Great Back Yard Bird Count(Feb. 16-19)! Both are great sites for bird-lovers, even if you don't join the counts.
http://www.Projectfeederwatch.org and http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc.
Although not a true "birder" I always have my binoculars and bird books close at hand and love identifying the birds that come to the yard and feeders. The counts give my obsession some (well, a little) focus.
Love the sweet little bluebird. Keep us posted!
Janet
Old 02-04-2007, 12:25 AM   #149
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Break out the longies and down comforters!

OMG! I had forgotten to subscribe to this thread and have just read 8 pages to catch up. I can't remember who does what, going where or anything else. What talent I am surrounded by! Humbling ? Very.

So much has been added so quickly I can't begin to comment on the many things I would like to. I feel a warm welcome from the Rivettes and so look forward to meeting you all in person.

I've noticed a trend as this thread is developing. It's the activities that have been suggested or mentioned. The RSSR is what? 3-4 days? With all that's been mentioned it will take no less than 3 weeks!! Hellsbells, we could just TALK for 3 days!!!! - and THAT wouldn't be enough!!!!

I'm dumping a cord of seasoned mixed hardwoods right over there so the fire doesn't go out - we can't let that happen anytime soon. My sisters here in MI will attest to the COLD hard facts -- It's currently -2*F. here at Lake George. Dang I'm glad we have heated seats in the Yukon (too bad I forgot to turn it on this a.m.)Vickie's area has had blizzard conditions today. Every keep safe, warm and happy. If you live where it's warm already ...well, dairydoo to ya!! Really, safe, cozy and happy. That's better.

I'm pooped and heading to bed w/thermal bottoms and a sweat shirt top.

Nitey nite,

suz

welcome nancy!
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 04:29 PM   #150
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Wow are we getting in the mood to freeze our butts of during the game!!!

Just brought in a ton of wood fire almost went out.....

Sorry gals I was playing over at the boys yard for a bit - not half as much fun as it is over here!

Getting excited about the road trip and meeting up with some of you gals...

Our furnace just packed in - same switch we had fixed two weeks ago - is it me or does nothing last these days???? What happened to the quality we used to have and the service we used to have.

I guess we are all to blame - always wanting things yesterday and for no money
Old 02-04-2007, 04:56 PM   #151
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Our furnace just packed in - same switch we had fixed two weeks ago - is it me or does nothing last these days???? What happened to the quality we used to have and the service we used to have.
So true! The first house I and my husband bought was built in 1927 and when we moved in it had the original furnace, which was still working beautifully in 2001 when we moved on.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:47 AM   #152
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Hey Janet thanks for the bird info! Looks great. We seem to have more mourning doves this year than in the past too. They love our large pines.

I hear you Sharon, didn't things used to last longer? Well we know Airstreams last a long time!!

Can't wait til the actual rally, but this online rally is a blast!
Old 02-05-2007, 09:05 AM   #153
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Hey Janet those sites inspired me to get out and feed the birds - half the time I am thinking I am feeding the chipmunks - they just steel all the food at night - so I usually stop feeding while the birds mirgrate - and let them feed on all the natural food we have to offer herei in our forest.The pine siskins love the hemlock cones filled with little seeds. We have several blue jays that wait patiently for my black oil seeds (that is all I will put out) the rest just gets tossed.

I had to get a hammer to bash the seed bin lid it was frozen - I have to get another bag too as I am right down. I will go through a bag at high season in less than two days -with feeding all the birds, squirrels and chipmunks - but the chippies are long gone now - so far underground we will not see them until the thaw.

I have a red Squirrel living in my wood shed so I take him snacks when I fetch wood. I also have another living in my garage. Made some sueitt sp snacks and will put them out today - to see who might be interested.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:56 AM   #154
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Hey Janet those sites inspired me to get out and feed the birds - half the time I am thinking I am feeding the chipmunks - they just steel all the food at night.
I got one of those anti-varmint birdfeeders and it seems to work, but I always felt sorry for the little critters who wer out there looking for food while the birds were at the buffet. Last week I noticed that some of the birds have been throwing off the seed they don't like to the ground and the bigger birds (blue jays), squirrels & chipmunks, rabbits, and even a young deer! have been feeding there.

I'm going through a lot of birdseed this year!

-J

Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote