Old 06-26-2003, 07:47 PM   #155
1 Rivet Member

That flashlight holder is great, too bad it doesn't come in aluminum so you could polish it. If the hardware store has those grommets, maybe I'll try to fabricate one.

Rob (still itching) Davis

Mr.InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 08:32 PM   #156
Rivet Master

Hey Guys,

The no-see-um's are the tiny bugs that have caused us so many red bites.

They only last a month, but they were in full force while you all were here.

I'm bit head to toe- John

John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 11:58 AM   #157
2 Rivet Member
I would have posted sooner, but I've been scratching! No-See-Ums ---- poor dog even has some bits. But they don't last and we are all well and back home in E Texas. We had just come from Flagstaff to the rally and the same critters were there as well. Don't have them here in E Texas (but we do have other pests)..

Yes, it was a great gathering!!!! I feel James Bond would have liked the coctail hour, too!!!

Folks in other parts of the country --- you need to put something like this together!!! Pick a time (at least 2 months notice) and a place (State Park, Corps of Engineer Park or some pasture/farm). Things have a way of working out just fine. And you never know - someone that was in New Mexico might just show up at your gathering.

Our next trip in the Airstream will be to New York State/New Jersey the end of September (Pat's 50th class reunion)--- see if the Orange Truck can make the hills!!!

Thanks gang for a great time in the Land of Enchantment!!
Don in E Texas
Don in E Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 01:32 PM   #158
Rivet Master
Austin , Texas
Hello East Texas,

Really dig your tow vehicle! You probably could have pulled the whole forum up them thar hills!! Guess if any of us ever see you on the highways you will surely be recognized. The color looks familiar, did your truck previously belong to a now-defunct trucking company? (The name escapes me but it sure looks familiar) Looks like you bobbed the rearmost drive axle off of it?

Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 04:14 PM   #159
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona

I am sure Don can expand on his truck, and....

He bought it from (a dealer of) Schneider Trucking. Schneider is still in business and they have orange tractors. Don's has not been repainted, however the trucking company names have been removed.

The front drive axle was removed and the back drive axle was moved up and connected to the driveshaft. With the weight that Don is towing, 2 dual rear axles were not needed. Then the frame was cut (shortened) to eliminate the overhang, and a ball hitch was added.

The truck only had 750,000 miles on it when Don bought! And you could have one too if you choose.

1966 Mercury Park Lane 4 DR Breezeway 410 4V, C-6, 2.80 - Streamless.
1966 Lincoln 4 door Convertible 462 4V 1971 Ford LTD Convertible 429 4V Phoenix ~ Yeah it's hot however it's a dry heat!
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 06:31 PM   #160
Rivet Master
Campfire Ban

Hey All-

Good thing we didn't have the Rally this weekend. A Campfire/Charcoal fire ban was instated today for all of NM State Parks, BLM, National Forest & private land within NM.

Again- I enjoyed our time-John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 07:31 PM   #161
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
That's a bummer...but we totally understand the reason here in CO after last year and the AZ/NM fires already starting this year! I'm wondering how long we can go here before we have the same restriction...

Ooooppps! They've already started....CO Fire Restrictions 2003, but are not yet widespread.

InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 03:28 PM   #162
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Hey Action ~

When do we meet again?

So should we set a date for the next time we meet?

Next year?

Later this year?
Many of us are planning on attending the Rocky Mountain VAC Rally in August...hint hint ~ Check out the attendees list, you will see some familiar names and a few other forum-folks.

InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 03:56 PM   #163
3 Rivet Member
1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Thumbs up Great Rally

Hello All, Just wanted to say how much fun I had meeting all of you and seeing your way cool Airstreams. Ya'all sure made our friends Hiner and Anne from Germany feel welcome and part of the group(despite being in a rented sob) Peter and I apperciated that. I'm working on my martini skills so I will be ready for the next rally, Sue you'll be hard to match but won't we have fun trying.
Cleaned the bugs off the screen, put batteries in the flashlight and Peter and I are ready for another big adventure.

CatStream is offline   Reply With Quote