Old 06-18-2004, 04:04 PM   #113
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Greetings.

I'll throw one more into the mix: Kankakee SP. All have electric, shower house, it is on the Kankakee River. It is just a few miles to the city of Bourbanais.

Best of all, the state has not chopped up the sites so you are stacked on top of each other, and there are shade trees/bushes seperating some sites.

We like this place alot, and we even get Verizon's cell service. BTW we also got service at Moraine.

We don't like places that have no shade, and sites are crammed together so the park can get more people and more money. We were disapointed with Starved Rock SP because of this.

The downside of Kankakee is that it is further north from you folks in St.L and points south, and the fees went up to a whopping $20.00 per night!!!

To be honest, I am fine with Moraine View....but check out the above.

jonathan

Old 06-18-2004, 04:09 PM   #114
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
I also agree with Twink about Ill. State park, and the same goes for Warren Dunes in Indiana.

Had a bad experiance there where they were going to throw us out for having one opened beer, in a red unrecognizable cup. The funny thing was, it was the ONLY beer that I had, as I forgot to bring the other ten cases!!!

The park people actually came inrto the site and did an impromptu search....

As if Pam and I are going to get totally trashed and start burning tires, or have chain saw races....

Gimme a break.

Jonathan

Old 06-18-2004, 04:25 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
OK, where IS chocolate milk allowed???

I don't understand the big deal.... Accept for that one guy that was passed out by 4:00 on Friday, alcohol didn't seem to be a problem. Is it banned at ALL state parks????
Old 06-18-2004, 07:28 PM   #116
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
As if Pam and I are going to get totally trashed and start burning tires, or have chain saw races....

Gimme a break.

Jonathan
Geez, Jonathan! After meeting you and Pam, I'm pretty sure that's just the TAME stuff we could expect from you guys!

Roger
Old 06-18-2004, 08:24 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
I just wanted to say what a great time we had at the rally.

Everyone we met made us feel like we were with old friends instead of new.

The only thing I could complain about (happily) is the weather. I don't do well when the temp and humidity are both above 90.

This was our maiden voyage. Not just camping with the AS, but camping in general. Aside from our black tank being full because someone forgot to empty it (clean water) because he was playing with everything for 3 weeks before leaving, it went pretty well. We're really grateful that the A/C worked and worked well. This was the first chance we had to try it.

Jack, thanks for putting this together. Also, thanks for the key chain.

Zamboni, thanks for the use of the water hoses and especially the sign.

TCL, thanks for the yard art?

Larry, thanks for the stove top cover information. Got it already.

Looking forward to another one.

Dennis
Old 06-19-2004, 09:18 AM   #118
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree. I think some parks can take the booze thing to the extreme. I have never heard of one doing a search like that unless it was a bunch of kids.

At any rate Ron, there are some parks that are cool with it and frankly, I can understand why some have taken the steps to curb it or at least put the fear of god into folks by placing signs everywhere. A bunch of folks get out of line when then partake and for most, a sign simply removes any liability from the parks should someone do a caveman activity. Most places it's kind of a don't ask, don't tell, but some, well, they can be like Jonathan describes. I am sure that as with a lot of things these days, the big and powerful insurance companies will put the screws to you if you don't do what they say. A prime example of this are the diving boards at pools....anyone else notice how a bunch of them went away....also, anyone notice how a bunch of the old playground stuff that was extremely fun as a kid has been removed and replaced with somewhat tame, idiot proof stuff that have the less height, size and overall interest as when you were a kid or those silly little messages on your hot beverages you buy like " The beverage you are about to enjoy is hot." Reminds me of the old joke the cowboy after OSHA (darn horse had antilock hooves, net around the rider, airbags on the saddle, etc) We'll, I'll tell you one thing...it wasn't Santa Claus that made them all change....State Farm, Allstate, Farmer's and the whole bunch of thugs are the folks I feel are responsible for some (not all) of these changes. The booze ban, just fits right in I'm sure in some of the parks insurance policies. I'm tellin' ya, insurance is just plain getting out of hand. The worst is medical malpractice, and it just goes south from there.....but I digress.....

Soapbox off......
Old 06-19-2004, 01:14 PM   #119
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Hi.

If I'm not mistaken, I don't think there is an alchohol ban in Wisconson parks, or at least at Kettle Moraine South and New Glarus. We have been fortunate enough to not be near sites that have had nuttiness going on.

Loud bad music is another matter...I'd rather have people drink themselves silly, QUIETLY, than listen to crap blaring on a boom box 15 sites away.

and I agrree with Twink that posting a sign or putting it in writing helps offset posible litigation, and in our society, suiing has become a new carreer. What ever happened to the notion of people being responsible for their own actions? Hey, I even owned a chemistry set when I was a kid, with some real high powered substances....try and find one of those at Toys R us in 2004.

Off detergent box...

Jonathan

Roger:

When Pam and I do burn tires, they are strickly organic, and we will share with others at the campground, as well as our free-range chainsaws.

Jonathan
Old 06-19-2004, 02:02 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
A few photos that I took

I am so sorry we didn't get to stay for the entire Rally, but at least we got to make an appearnce and meet some people.

I took a couple of good pics.. check out my photo album.

The saddest picture of all is the BEAUTIFUL site we were assigned... and in it is one husband, one truck, one aluminum chair, and NO AIRSTEAM!

AAARRRGGGHHHHHH
Old 06-19-2004, 02:09 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Moraine View

As far as looking for other sites to rally at, I am a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Moraine was beautiful and well set up for a large group.

The caretakers were GREAT to us.. the little lady at the office woudln't let me pay for my site for the second night because we didn;t have our trailer. (and wereen't going to sty overnight) We were going to pay her so we coudl park in it while we went to the pot luck. I told her that the little man on the golf cart was chasing me around over where we were parked, and she said "that's my husband and he thinks he's the sheriff.. I'll handle him."

I can't imagine them searching us for chocolate milk..... that might be an important thought in the future!
Old 06-21-2004, 11:03 AM   #122
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Wilmington , Illinois
I have a suggestion for a site to have a Rally! It would be the rustic Yogi Bear Campground! You have the luxury of parking yards away from your neighbor in a parking lot - no trees or anything to get in your way or obscure your view (don't forget to pull the shade in those rear bathrooms!). I could easily speak to at least 6 of my neighbors from the comfort of my picnic table if there weren't these mysterious buzzing clouds....wait, those aren't clouds - they're swarms of angry bees high on spilled Kool Aid and gummi bears. The pools are so saturated with people that you can't stand in them without touching someone - I think if all were to leave the pool, a 2" puddle of water would remain. But it is such welcome relief to the heat with water tempertature of 400 degrees. Mom always said, "don't eat yellow snow," but someone tell me, what's the rule for yellow swimming pools? hmmm....There is a beach to swim at. If you are lucky, they'll rent you a golf cart -very limited availability so call early -$80/day. Otherwise you have to tote your kids and all of your swimming supplies (toys, drinks, towels, etc.) at least a mile to get to the beach to sit arm and arm with 100 other people. Our children were thrilled to catch a glimpse of a very hot Yogi Bear zipping around in a golf cart . Each sighting resulted in a chase (on foot) to see him up close. But by the time we made it to where he was, he was somewhere else. If you like to fish, there is a second lake for fishing that, we were told, froze solid over the winter and was home to nothing. Still, children line the sides of the lake, poles in hand, staring hopefully at little red and white bobbers. You can canoe or paddle boat on it if you like - that is if you can stand the stench. Will still speaks fondly of "Lake Stinky." With the charge for the site, the extra people, the screen tent..blah blah blah... I think we paid a bargain $60/night for our spot. And guess what.......we plan to do it again in August! Perhaps we can make it a Rally?
Old 06-21-2004, 09:29 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Yogi Bear? Kids? Scummy Lakes??

and finally,

Old 06-21-2004, 09:30 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Cool SICK Sense of Humor

Tracy, ya KILL me.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:26 AM   #125
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
We would like to tell the rally participants what a nice time we had again this year. And what a turn out!! It was great re-aquainting withpeople we met last year and meeting a few more this year. The only draw back seemed to be the heat/humidity conditions which detered us from getting to all the sites to say, "Hi".

We will use our "Custom Signs by Zamboni" Forums Rally sign again at Mackinaw City along with a Flamingo ..or two... from Ron & Tony of TCL, inc.. Our "fearless leader" Jack and Patti key fob from " Gifts by Clever Cannavera" will sport a spare set of keys for Cupcake. AND our prize for traveling the most miles (448 mi.), THE Airstream bird house, compliments of Tim & Laura from the Zamboni group, is currently hanging from our pot rack so we can show it off!!
Thank you all for your time and efforts, including the delicious dishes everyone brought to the pot luck, that made this rally so much fun and so memorable.

We look forward to meeting you again,

Sue & Ike
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 12:36 AM   #126
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
P.S. The cutest wooden salad fork (with a carved red chili pepper at the top) at the was left at the pot luck tables. I believe Norbert has it - if not, perhaps someone will correct me so it can be returned. It would be a shame to break up such a cute set!

2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote