Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2007, 10:27 AM   #1
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Rallying with SOB's?

Okay here's the problem. A dear friend who I have been camping with for years recently purchased *gasp* a small SOB. It was a financial decision and I'm sure she would have LOVED to get an Airstream but it just wasn't in the cards. It would be nice if she could occasionally attend a Rally with me (and meet all the great forum folks) and still bring her own vehicle.

What is the "policy" on this? Does she have to leave her SOB at home in order to come along? Would she camp somewhere near the cluster of silver but not too close? I know it's an Airstream Rally but...

Thoughts???
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
It's not like we would catch something from her...
It may be a good way to convert her.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:35 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Have a non Rally Rally I camp with a wide range of folks. There is one camping group that I belong to that started out as SEPUC South East Pop Up Campers. Wanna guess what was at the last campout? I think the rules are up to the individual group. I would not expect to take an SOB to a rally organized by Airstreamers unless it was a Buddy Rally of some sort. I suspect the Forum rallies maybe a bit less straight laced. I have a group of friends that I camp with a couple of times a year, the current collection of campers ranges from a Condo Tent to a $75k fifth wheel with everything and anything in between.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:36 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
At a Forums Rally, it would usually be fine as these rallys are usually held at public campgrounds that are open to everyone. This would not be the case at WBCCI rallys where this would be a giant "fox paw" unless you're talking about a moho made by Thor some other company that Thor may purchase in the future.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:00 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If it's a Forums rally, bring 'em along, just ask them to sign up here first. That way, it'll be all nice and legal, as we don't force anyone to own an Airstream product (although it's nice).
Old 04-10-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I love to gawk private docks at marinas. Anybody asks, I can easily present myself as a potential customer -- 'cept I haven't found an aluminum sailboat I like. WBCCI has rules; Forums rallies don't. I invited friends shopping for Airstreams to bring their popup to the Midwest rally -- they can't make it. We have another member here who is bringing his SOB to the Midwest rally. Enforcing rules or quarantining interested lookers not only spoils the fun, but it's too much work!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Ask your President

Ask your unit president when the unit is having a buddy rally. During these rallies you can bring a friend (and their SOB trailer).

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
1977 27' Overlander
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny
Ask your unit president when the unit is having a buddy rally. During these rallies you can bring a friend (and their SOB trailer).
Mitch
Yes, make it a Buddy Rally. Then everyone can attend and maybe even be persuaded to come to the 'silver' side!

WALLY54 1954 Cruiser #11281
Buttercup 77 Overlander #17330
1990 345-LE MoHo Classic #7830
Air #
WALLY 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I karma-tized Swanny for replying with a good WBCCI solution in a level headed manner -- he didn't even point out my ignorance. We're all a bunch of half blind aluminum polishers sometimes -- sorry (no, won't apologize to Don Imus for calling myself a name). Sounds like a good solution. Airstream tours at any rally are a great way to spread the excitement.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:48 AM   #10
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
SOB's Welcome

I have a friend with a SOB and he is about to attend his 4th Airstream Rally! He is even bringing his brother-in-law with his SOB to the next one!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:52 AM   #11
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
At a Forums Rally, it would usually be fine as these rallys are usually held at public campgrounds that are open to everyone. This would not be the case at WBCCI rallys where this would be a giant "fox paw" unless you're talking about a moho made by Thor some other company that Thor may purchase in the future.
No, they would have to join the WBCCI first, then invest the umpteen million years it takes to work their way up the IBT ladder to become a member of the privileged IBT elite class before they could own an SOB and attend a WBCCI rally.

Seriously, our first and only forum rally so far (where we had an Airstream to stay in) had one of its attendees staying in an SOB because she didn't want to tow her vintage Airstream that far and she got a little ribbing for showing up at an Airstream Forum Rally without her Airstream (mostly from me, BTW) and she was more than welcomed. You should remember moosetags, it was the Can Opener Rally and you were there!

On edit, speak of the devil Kathy, you posted while I was writing this response!

Quote:
I have a friend with a SOB and he is about to attend his 4th Airstream Rally! He is even bringing his brother-in-law with his SOB to the next one!
Isn't it always "a friend" that does this.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:40 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Rallying with SOB'S

I agree that it can't hurt anything to have someone want to join in the fun of one of our rally's. Not everyone can own an Airstream! I say let em come and have fun!!!

Lee Pace
72 Sovereign
84 Avion
WBCCI 7287
Greenville, Tx
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #13
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Quote:
Isn't it always "a friend" that does this.
It's those friends that will get you in trouble everytime!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper
Okay here's the problem. A dear friend who I have been camping with for years recently purchased *gasp* a small SOB. It was a financial decision and I'm sure she would have LOVED to get an Airstream but it just wasn't in the cards. It would be nice if she could occasionally attend a Rally with me (and meet all the great forum folks) and still bring her own vehicle.

What is the "policy" on this? Does she have to leave her SOB at home in order to come along? Would she camp somewhere near the cluster of silver but not too close? I know it's an Airstream Rally but...

Thoughts???
Are you asking about a WBCCI or a Forum Rally?

WBCCI it needs to be a buddy rally for an SOB to attend.

Forum Rally I don't think it would be an issue but you might want to toss it onto that rallies thread before she signs up.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper

Thoughts???
Our first thought is to ask your dear friend if she minds wrapping her SOB in aluminum foil for the rally or alternatively getting a big can of silver spray paint?

And then again, several kegs of beers next to her front door would be a great disguise. "Special Edition" aluminum pods! That qualifies in our book. After all, after a few beers.....who cares....or even....who could tell the difference.

Time and Time again
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:58 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I can tell you that from a Forums stand point, the more the merrier. We obviously would like them to work through the reservation process with us and let us know that they are coming.

From my standpoint for Moraine View, I like to keep track of attendance for providing memento's of the occasion. Knowing you are coming assures that you will be getting one.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:59 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
I'm very glad to see the attitude on the forum

I'm a new member and just wanted to say I'm proud of all of you. Personally, I don't care if a couple next door is in a tent if they're good neighbors. Not everyone can afford an Airstream, even a used one. I'm shopping for a trailer now, but I'm looking forward to the people I'll meet and enjoy. The trailer is secondary. The way I look at it, if Bill Gates pulls up next to me, he'll beat anything I'll ever own. There's not much reason for me to feel exclusive. I'd much rather that the young couple in the tent remembered the folks in the silver trailer that invited them over for dinner when it was raining so hard.
Thanks,
Mike
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
I know your friends would be welcomed at our event in Hiawassee in April!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
and you have to remember 29 palms

the very funny "airstream" with a Prevost paint job of course she would be welcome at a NRRR
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Are you asking about a WBCCI or a Forum Rally?

WBCCI it needs to be a buddy rally for an SOB to attend.

Forum Rally I don't think it would be an issue but you might want to toss it onto that rallies thread before she signs up.
I concur. The forum does not require Airstream ownership, and being on the forums does not even require registering. So I feel that a forum rally is kind of an extensionof the forums, and everyone would be welcome.

Often guests on the forums are seeking advice or "feeling out" the community. And they are welcome, and all are welcomed when they join. As such, I think forum rallys would welcome guests, either camping or walk-in visitors.

I think that not all good people in the world have Airstreams, and not all Airstream owners are necessarily good people (but most seem to be...of course, I'm a limited observer, and not in the WBCCI).

As far as I am concerned, all would be welcome, although signing up allows better estimates for time management, food, tours, food, prizes, food, raffles, and pot lucks.

So bring whomever is free-spirited enough to join in the fun!

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote