Old 01-31-2010, 09:36 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Three of Rosemary's friends are coming from Chicago on Mar 24th, so I'm going to use the occasion as an excuse to be away. Heading for Tucson on the 25th and will probably stay thru the 28th. Hope I can get a spot at Gilbert Ray. If not, I'm not sure where to camp. I want to spend a couple of days photographing around the area and will probably take in the Center for Creative Photography at the University of Arizona.

I've wanted to shoot the San Xavier del Bac mission ever since I saw it three years ago. Hope the restoration doesn't get in the way of the effort.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:40 PM   #44
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung View Post
Three of Rosemary's friends are coming from Chicago on Mar 24th, so I'm going to use the occasion as an excuse to be away. Heading for Tucson on the 25th and will probably stay thru the 28th.
I will probably be somewhere in the area still, let me know if you want to meet up and maybe do some shooting.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:05 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Terrific...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
I will probably be somewhere in the area still, let me know if you want to meet up and maybe do some shooting.
Have you shot the Mission? I'd like to do that early Friday and perhaps later in the day. With its northern orientation, getting the best light might be difficult, but it will be worth the effort, I'm sure.

As I said, I hope to get into Gilbert Ray on Thursday about noon. Let me know where we might meet. My cell is 623-266-0059.

Cheers, Rodney.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 02-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #46
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung View Post
Have you shot the Mission?
Cheers, Rodney.
I have not, in fact I have only been through the area once- and then in a hurry. Sounds like a hoot.

and the
My Blog

Old 02-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Harshaw Recon

Rodney...for what it's worth...

We went to Harshaw this past weekend while we were staying at Patagonia Lake State Park (which is about 8-10 miles west of the town of Patagonia off highway 82...$15/night dry camping, $22/night elect & water, no separate group area, unfortunately...it's all first come first served).

The Harshaw townsite southwest of Patagonia is in a pretty area and will be prettier in the spring when it's greener. The townsite is about 2 miles past where the pavement ends. Thereís not much at Harshaw...one ruins of a building on one side of the site and a grave yard on the hill opposite with a somewhat open area in between ... At this point the area was generally muddy with a few tracks/paths where vehicles can make a large pass to circle back out to the main road...

It may have been because of all the heavy rain weíve had the last couple of weeks, but the unpaved road is wash boarded and has several big puddles and creeks passing over the roadway you have to cross through (the last rain was 3 days before we were there)...they were deep and rutted enough that the mud flaps on our truck hit the ground going through them a couple of times. With the barely 8Ē clearance of our grey and black water outlets on our trailer, itís not a road we are willing to pull it over. Trailers with higher clearance would do better, but even then you should expect a good shaking up. Mind you this is the end of Jan and the gathering is not supposed to be until March...not sure how well maintained the road is or if it will be any better. Itís a very sparsely populated area.

There are a couple of sites off the paved portion of the road after you enter the Coronado National Forest that are probably easier to get into but you would still need to be prepared to plank yourself over the washed out gullies on either side of the pavement if necessary... One of the sites looks very inviting, but it is actually the dry bed of a creek that spreads over a fairly flat area before it empties into the culverts under the road...there is also a fairly steep incline to the roadís surface from the creek bed. Itís obvious that this area has been used for camping, but it would not be a place to be if thereís any rain in the mountains. It was also obvious that it had recently been under water. Arizona is famous for itís flash floods.

Sorry I am not painting a very enthusiastic picture. Iím sure there are possibilities for some of the folks who might be interested in attending a gathering there, and some of the choice of sites would depend on how many rigs were coming... but I think we will not be joining you there, just because of access.

Here are some pictures...so you can decide for yourself if you want to go for it or try to locate another place... If you want me to post any of this on the thread let me know...

Pic #1: Creek alongside the road...
Pic #2: On the road to Harshaw...
Pic #3: Welcome to Harshaw...
Pic #4: Turning right into the Townsite...that's the graveyard on the hill side...
Pic #5: Leaving the graveyard area back to the main road...
Pic #6: This is the site off the paved road that's actually a dry creek bed that runs to the road...
Pic #7: This is the dry creek bed site showing the incline to the road...
Pic #8: This is another site that is off the dirt road...one RV was in there...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image001.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	95383   Click image for larger version

Name:	image002.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	95384  

Name:	image003.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	95385   Click image for larger version

Name:	image004.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	95386  

Name:	image005.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	95388   Click image for larger version

Name:	image006.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	95389  

Name:	image007.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	95390   Click image for larger version

Name:	image009.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	95391  

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:10 PM   #48
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Adapt and overcome time

Terry, that is a disappointment. Obviously, we don't want to pick a spot that any reasonable person might have reservations about towing their rig to. Lets look for alternate sites nearby that are still reasonable cost wise.

Thanks for doing the recon, it may have saved someone a bunch of heartache.

and the
My Blog

Old 02-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Rodney, what route are you taking cross country? I'm wondering if you can stop by here. Of course March and April are among the snowiest months in Colorado. And this year the jet stream is further south than usual, so NM and Ariz are getting lots of snow and rain, not so much here.

I was having fantasies of traveling in late March, but that just isn't going to work out since March will be kitchen renovation month (actually starting in late Feb. and I'd better get it finished quick or Barb won't be too happy). Maybe we'll be eating in our Safari.

Gene
Old 02-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #50
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Rodney, what route are you taking cross country?
Gene
Gene, that is a good question. I think I will be hugging the coast and the border most the way. I don't expect to get to Colorado until May. You and Barb ought to saddle up and come on down to south AZ for a visit.

and the
My Blog

Old 02-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
It's been a while since anyone posted anything here so I thought I'd ad my two cents.

Aren't there any adventuresome Airstreamers who aren't spooked about the prospect of traveling a couple of miles down a dirt road to camp and celebrate the Equinox in a ghost town? It isn't exactly Capetown to Cairo.

I've backcountry camped all my adult life, traveled thousands of miles on dirt roads, I've looked at this road, and don't have any qualms about taking one of my trailers up to Harshaw. I would expect that by late March things should have dried out, and there might be the beginning of a nice wildflower season. I bought my Airstreams to go places, anyone want to go?
Old 02-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #52
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Snake,

I will be somewhere in the area. I have no qualms about towing into sketchy areas, but I can understand that some folks do. I remain hopeful we can find a boondocking spot somewhere in the area that everyone can live with.

and the
My Blog

Old 02-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
It's been a while since anyone posted anything here so I thought I'd ad my two cents.

Aren't there any adventuresome Airstreamers who aren't spooked about the prospect of traveling a couple of miles down a dirt road to camp and celebrate the Equinox in a ghost town? It isn't exactly Capetown to Cairo.

I've backcountry camped all my adult life, traveled thousands of miles on dirt roads, I've looked at this road, and don't have any qualms about taking one of my trailers up to Harshaw. I would expect that by late March things should have dried out, and there might be the beginning of a nice wildflower season. I bought my Airstreams to go places, anyone want to go?
Actually, there are some better places I can think of down 20 miles of dirt road but well worth the effort. Camp Rucker is one and Kentucky Camp another but easier to get to.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP1851(640).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	95937  
Old 02-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #54
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
Actually, there are some better places I can think of down 20 miles of dirt road but well worth the effort. Camp Rucker is one and Kentucky Camp another but easier to get to.
I've never been to either place but they look intriguing. I'd like to try them.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 02-15-2010, 07:46 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
Some of the nicest camping spots in Southern Arizona are down long dirt roads.

I haven't been to Camp Rucker, but have taken the Bambi to Rustler Park, Pinery Canyon and Sycamore in the Chiricahuas. There's a popular boondocking area on Forest Road 42, about 5 miles up the dirt road from the Chiricahua National Monument, nothing spectacular, but it's where the Monument sends it's overflow and oversize RV's

I've thought about renting the cabin for a night or two at Kentucky Camp, it's pretty rustic, just electricity and no inside plumbing.

We're heading out to the Chiricahua National Monument next week, for the Rodeo school break, I'm going to leave on Tuesday morning to snag a campsite at the small but delightful Bonita Campground, and will return to Tucson the next day to pick up my wife when she gets off work.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:15 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Some of the nicest camping spots in Southern Arizona are down long dirt roads.

I haven't been to Camp Rucker, but have taken the Bambi to Rustler Park, Pinery Canyon and Sycamore in the Chiricahuas. There's a popular boondocking area on Forest Road 42, about 5 miles up the dirt road from the Chiricahua National Monument, nothing spectacular, but it's where the Monument sends it's overflow and oversize RV's

I've thought about renting the cabin for a night or two at Kentucky Camp, it's pretty rustic, just electricity and no inside plumbing.

We're heading out to the Chiricahua National Monument next week, for the Rodeo school break, I'm going to leave on Tuesday morning to snag a campsite at the small but delightful Bonita Campground, and will return to Tucson the next day to pick up my wife when she gets off work.
There is a flat level area right above Kentucky Camp where you can boondock. We have been to all the places you mention and a few more. I will post some later.