Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #21
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Check out Bob Thompson's "Free or Cheap in Arizona" Thread...maybe there's something in there that would be good... http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...ona-21558.html We have not explored any of the places listed... Bob's lists are great...be sure to look through the whole thread for updates to the initial list....
Are you guys thinking about going?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Rodney;

We will be just about ready to head for home after wintering in Quartzsite. If you could get a spot selected we would be able to meet you for the rally.

Keep us posted.

Bob
Member Four Corners Unit
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
Are you guys thinking about going?
General....Of course, it depends on when and where we were to rally up, but yes, we'd be interested in the possibility of getting together...We have the 4CU Dead Horse Rally 12-15 Feb and there is a joint AZ/4CU rally in the works for April (but we don't know any of the details or dates yet)...

We have stayed at Gilbert Ray (elect with H2O available but not at each site) and Catalina State Park (elect & H20)...both cost $20/night...we prefer Gilbert Ray. Don't know about the BLM sites around here... The place near Patagonia in post #14 of Bob Thompson's thread sounds interesting, but don't have first-hand knowledge. Patagonia Lake State Park would be another possibility...it's between Patagonia & Nogales...they have elect/H20 sites, but they also have a nice, large dry camping area (elect/H20 are $20/night...probably $15/night for dry). We may be heading to Patagonia Lake later this month for a long weekend...perhaps we could check out that boondocking site on Harshaw Road that Bob mentions...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpound View Post
Rodney;

We will be just about ready to head for home after wintering in Quartzsite. If you could get a spot selected we would be able to meet you for the rally.

Keep us posted.

Bob
Member Four Corners Unit
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
Hey Bob....we've love to get you and Lou to So AZ for a while to see what it's like down here...since you're already in the neighborhood, relatively speaking!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 01-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #25
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Update: Patagonia: There is good NF boondock camping in very pleasant areas along the road from Patagonia to Harshaw. For the most part, the road follows a stream up to Harshaw. It is a refreshingly attractive area which numerous places to camp, most with very nice shade trees. The road is now nicely paved although traffic is very light. Patagonia is an interesting town with quaint shops. Directions: as you enter Patagonia from the east on Hwy. 82, turn left right at the Post Office, then turn left on the first road which will be the road to Harshaw. Camp spots will start about 3 miles from Patagonia. Good place if you like it quiet. It's 8 miles from Patagonia to Harshaw.
^ Bob Thompson (cheap or free in AZ)

Looks like a winner to me. March 20 or 27th? Either is good for me. I could live with the state park, but I would much rather boondock.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
^ Bob Thompson (cheap or free in AZ)

Looks like a winner to me. March 20 or 27th? Either is good for me. I could live with the state park, but I would much rather boondock.
We'll block out the 20th & 27th as possible dates and keep you posted...and if we're down in that area will try to check out the Harshaw spot before then...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 01-14-2010, 11:37 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2002 27' Safari
Amarillo , Texas
Still root'n and toot'n for the 27th in the Tucson area.
DT
DieselBreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #28
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
We'll block out the 20th & 27th as possible dates and keep you posted...and if we're down in that area will try to check out the Harshaw spot before then...
That would be great, Im liking the idea of a boondock rally there. We need to get this locked down so we can get it set up on the rally calendar.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:12 AM   #29
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Post Latest on AZ park closing

Arizona decides to close most state parks - latimes.com
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #30
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
For Petes Sake!

How much money can you really save by shutting down a State Park? That is not even a band aid. Have the law makers cut THEIR PAY, maybe cut back on THEIR perks? I mean of all the crap a state spends money on, they pick parks. The stupidity of it makes me want to weep. States aren't funding higher education any more, parks are being closed. Are their ANY adults supervising government?

OK, rants over for now.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
We went for a drive to Patagonia on Sunday, and decided to take the 8 mile drive to the ghost town of Harshaw to check out possible camping sites.

It's about 3 miles from Patagonia to the National Forest boundry, the road is paved until the road to Harshaw branches off to the right at about 6 miles. After the turnoff the road to Harshaw passes through some private property (clearly marked with no trespassing signs) The Harshaw townsite is marked with a sign, however there is little visible remaining of the settlement.

There are a number of places to pull off along the road to camp, but most are not large enough for a very large group. Near the entrance to the NF there was an area with 4 or 5 trailers in it.

I think the best bet for a group would be at the Harshaw townsite, where there are three areas fairly close together that could probably fit a total of 10-15 trailers. The largest is between the townsite and the hillside cemetery, the other two are on either side of the road as you approach the townsite from the north.

The general rule in the Coronado National Forest is that camping is permitted unless expressly prohibited.

Here is a link to a google satellite photo of the site, the white spots to the left are in the cemetery, the hilly terrain is not obvious in the image.

Harshaw, Santa Cruz, Arizona - Google Maps

Re Arizona State Parks: The AZ Legeslature is a bunch of idiots, and the voters have gotten what they deserve. If closing the parks isn't enough, they are raising fees on March 1st, yes even for the parks that are closing, 20%-100%!!!
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:24 AM   #32
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth

Looks like this is starting to shape up, anyone have ideas for a rally avatar? Ghost town theme? Equinox? I want to get this on the calendar pretty quick. Im thinking March 20 (equinox) near the ghost town- first one who arrives stakes out the the new "town site". If anyone has a beef with this plan needs to speak up soon.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
We went for a drive to Patagonia on Sunday, and decided to take the 8 mile drive to the ghost town of Harshaw to check out possible camping sites.

It's about 3 miles from Patagonia to the National Forest boundry, the road is paved until the road to Harshaw branches off to the right at about 6 miles. After the turnoff the road to Harshaw passes through some private property (clearly marked with no trespassing signs) The Harshaw townsite is marked with a sign, however there is little visible remaining of the settlement.

There are a number of places to pull off along the road to camp, but most are not large enough for a very large group. Near the entrance to the NF there was an area with 4 or 5 trailers in it.

I think the best bet for a group would be at the Harshaw townsite, where there are three areas fairly close together that could probably fit a total of 10-15 trailers. The largest is between the townsite and the hillside cemetery, the other two are on either side of the road as you approach the townsite from the north.

The general rule in the Coronado National Forest is that camping is permitted unless expressly prohibited.

Here is a link to a google satellite photo of the site, the white spots to the left are in the cemetery, the hilly terrain is not obvious in the image.

Harshaw, Santa Cruz, Arizona - Google Maps

Re Arizona State Parks: The AZ Legeslature is a bunch of idiots, and the voters have gotten what they deserve. If closing the parks isn't enough, they are raising fees on March 1st, yes even for the parks that are closing, 20%-100%!!!
Paul...So after the pavement ends, it's about 2 miles further to the Harshaw townsite? What's the unpaved road like? Is there someone we need to talk to about camping there?

Weather permitting, we are planning on going down to Patagonia Lake State Park this weekend, and will try to also check the site out.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 01-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Count me in if I can work around my teaching schedule (Mar 1-5 and Mar 22 so far). I'd like a spot from which I/we could find some good photography locations. Gilbert Ray campground is near the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum (museum, zoo, and botanical garden rolled into one).

Not in AZ, but Anza Borrego State Park in nearby CA might be a good location and the wildflowers might be in full bloom then. Also, Joshua Tree National Park is not far away either. Just a thought or two.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Weather permitting, we are planning on going down to Patagonia Lake State Park this weekend, and will try to also check the site out.
Let us know what you think; it's one of the junkiest parks we've ever been to, I.O.O.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Let us know what you think; it's one of the junkiest parks we've ever been to, I.O.O.
Mike...I meant at that we'd try to check out the Harshaw site for this potential rally... We're interested in seeing what it's like...

We have been to Patagonia Lake State Park before... They have made some improvements lately...new rest room/shower buildings... Granted, some of the electrical/water sites are kinda tight, but they have a nice dry camping area. We have not been there when it's really busy and I think that would detract.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 01-19-2010, 07:48 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Paul...So after the pavement ends, it's about 2 miles further to the Harshaw townsite? What's the unpaved road like? Is there someone we need to talk to about camping there?

Terri, The road is good, as dirt roads go, wide enough so you don't have to worry about a stand-off if another vehicle pulling a trailer is coming the other way. It's probably best that you check it out before hitching up if you're not used to traveling on back roads.

Also, if you are used to staying in developed campsites, the townsite area will probably seem disappointing. It certainly won't permit an orderly assembly of Airstreams, but that's what boondocking is about, adapting to, and enjoying undeveloped places.

It is public National Forest land, no need to ask permission to camp, there is, however a 14 day camping limit in the Coronado NF.

It's a pretty area, with an interesting history too, there should be some nice walks in the surrounding hills, and good chances to observe wildlife.

The weekend of the 20th will display a crescent moon, and I'd probably be tempted to bring along one of my telescopes and enjoy a little astronomical observation in the dark sky.

I've only been to Patagonia Lake SP once in recent years, and not to camp, but to test ride a new Zodiac boat and motor before heading off on a road trip into Mexico.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Paul...thanks for your assessment... I'm OK with undeveloped campsites for boondocking...we've done it in Quartzsite! So that's not a problem...just want to make sure the road there is reasonably OK... We will make an effort to check it out before hand... Terry
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 01-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote: (from Gen Disarry on the Phoenix Storm thread).

Originally Posted by TBRich
Tucson report...Cloudy skies and windy...the wind chimes are getting a real work-out...supposed to be at its worst late this after/evening and night...the weather advisory is supposed to end Friday AM...Hope it's all said and done by then!

Is the storm going to end your weekend recon?

++++++++

Rodney... We are still planning to head our Friday AM, weather permitting, for Patagonia Lake State Park for the weekend...and while there, to check out the Harshaw townsite closer... We will not have a very good internet connection there (unless something has changed since our last visit to the area) so we may not be able to report until next week... Will keep you posted. Here's to clear skies and no wind!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 01-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Terry,

You may get to see a little snow down there, there's a winter storm watch for the next weaker, but colder storm due on Friday night and Saturday morning, according to the latest NWS winter storm watch which includes Santa Cruz county:

Quote:
.....A SECONDARY WINTER STORM IS EXPECTED TO BRING ADDITIONAL SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL FRIDAY EVENING AND INTO SATURDAY MORNING........SNOW LEVELS WILL CONTINUE TO FALL TO BELOW 5000 FEET FRIDAY EVENING BEFORE BOTTOMING OUT NEAR 3500 FEET EARLY SATURDAY MORNING.
I'm not sure of the elevation at Patagonia Lake, but Harshaw is 4,850'