Old 10-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #15
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
I do belong to an organization where an attendee did get drunk and did fall into a large barbecue pit (not in use at the time)

Instead of taking responsibility for his own actions he did sue for $100k, knowing the organization had insurance. At this time the insurance co. has made a MUCH smaller offer. The complainant has worn out one lawyer and is now on number 2 and the matter is unresolved after several years.

The question in my mind is, would a suit have even been filed if there had been no insurance??
It's a really tough question, Rick. Would knowing that an organization had no insurance cause a lawsuit-happy person not to sue? I just don't know. What I do perceive is that people seem to sue like crazy nowadays. It's common enough that it becomes very difficult to understand just who might be tempted to sue. Scary.

Lynn

Old 10-01-2010, 12:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Very windy in Ct today. Lots of nuts falling off the trees. You never know where one may land. Give it up, this is a dead issue and poor marketing point.
I you have some really good sh.. you should have personal liability insurance anyway. If you have alot of .... and don't have that then we are back to the tree litter....

If you are not an official what's the beef...

Old 10-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #17

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
Personally, I agree with everyone who has felt that people need to be more responsible for their own actions and stop jumping on anyone they think they can blame. Professionally, I would suggest insurance because of the occasional ass that attends, does something stupid and then refuses to admit it was their fault and sue.

Personally, I say shoot the guy who fell into the pit and decided to sue. Professionally, I say get someone else to shoot the guy who fell into the pit.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I find the first post to be a bit like mafia protection: hey, nice rally you got there. I hope you got insurance, 'cos I would hate to see anything, you know, 'happen'....

Would it be within the realm of one club to have someone attend a rally at another club, JUST to spark a lawsuit to end the competing club?

Gunfire at dawn!

Or as we call it: FUD
Old 10-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Interesting thing happened to me the other week.....

Received a call from my health insurance company in regards to my recent visit to the local emergency room. They wanted to know the details of the accident in case it could be covered by another source. Fell off a horse on county property... and I'm in an Equine Warning Law state. No more questions.

I wonder if personal insurance would try push for suit... Geeze.

Laura
Old 10-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
I assume none of these have rally or event insurance.
Yes, the TAC's BASH had a hefty Event Insurance package... We also had a form you had to acknowledge upon registration for "Hold Harmless" agreement as well.

This was all figured into the BASH fee.

It is suggested.
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
I was advised years ago that to have insurance cinches the deal for a lawyer to take the case, without insurance lawyers want money guarantees and those sueing don't have it.
Insurance never crossed my mind in my plan to attend N. Georgia rally, I do have insurance for the vehicle, both liability and road service, gee I and spouse will have to watch our step around campfires and make sure we don't make someone else drink what we like. Now we have to worry about kayaks and bicycles, one in the water and the other only has two wheels, guess we can keep the kayaks close to shore and get training wheels for the bikes. Get real, life is an adventure otherwise stay home.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Before we get too far afield and start chambering rounds I think there are three areas in which insurance and liability could be looked at by small time Rally Hosts.

First would be the venue. Public or private campgrounds will have some level of insurance. With pools, playgrounds and the occasional falling tree branch or ungrounded electrical outlet Iím sure their actuaries have all the bases covered. Iíll check next week with our Campground Host when we do the initial set up for the Forum Rally we are hosing next week. I donít see a need for coverage here.
The scenario of the "happy" camper falling into a fire pit could be covered by the campground. However, as the Camp Host has repeatedly pointed out to our group "Alcohol is allowed, public drunkenness and bad behavior is not." The rangers do patrol 3 or 4 times a night.

Second would be the activities. The WBCCI Rallys seem to have a much more structured approach to "Fun Fellowship and Adventure" than we do. If your group is requisitioning a park shelter, planning a childrenís activity, chartering buses for group tours and catering in dinners then you may have a percentage of any liability.
The closest we ever come to anything organized is an impromptu loading up a couple of trucks and heading out to the dollar stores, winery tours or going behind the "cheddar curtain" for local beer and cheeses. Seems to me if youíre a driver you would be covered by your auto insurance.

Third would be the ubiquitous Pot Luck Dinner. This is the only item I can think of that could an issue. I mentioned before that a tainted catered dinner could be a problem but the vender could be responsible the majority of any claim.
The Pot Luck is a completely different animal. If everyone is freely digging into whatever gets set out on the row of tables whoís to blame if someone needs a trip to the ER? This is something I might run by my friends and relatives in the legal profession.

The first night we are planing a Wine and Cheese Style appetizer dinner. We are providing the horídourves. We are not providing the wine. That is an obvious step over the liability line.
Frankly, having eaten 10 years worth of Pot Luck dinners while camping Iíve never had a problem. I think the plaintive would have to prove wonton negligence to justify the damages.

A fee to cover insurance?? At one rally a family with 2 Airstreams rolled in. They read about the gathering on the Forum and thought they would drop by to see what it was all about. Iíll bet they would have gone down to the other end of the park if we had asked for a donation to cover insurance costs.
As it was they didnít happen upon a bunch of drunken, cast wearing burn victims beating a path to the bathroom and decided to come back again the next year.

Cheers. See you down the road,
Tom

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #23
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
Yes, the TAC's BASH had a hefty Event Insurance package... We also had a form you had to acknowledge upon registration for "Hold Harmless" agreement as well.

This was all figured into the BASH fee.

It is suggested.
As I said to Frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
it's great that you and Rob had the foresight.

Smart move, perhaps you can post the event insurance broker for others to contact?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Bob perhaps you could post this question on the WBCCI forum.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #25
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Garry perhaps U should read my earlier post they have 2M per, no liability to members.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Can't

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry View Post
Its too confrontational and doesnít contain things about flowers and rainbows ÖÖÖÖÖÖ..
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
He Can't

Quote:
the Mods at the WBCCI Forums won't let this type of discussion occur that is why "WBCCI Bob" here!
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #28
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Emerick View Post
the Mods at the WBCCI Forums won't let this type of discussion occur that is why "WBCCI Bob" here!
See this thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...tml#post902181

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote