Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Barbie - do you still need someone to host Happy Hour on Fri?

https://www.facebook.com/starlettediary
Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:35 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFA.arch View Post
I'm hoping to make it, we have a reservation for #17 Loop A but plans are un-certain due to faithful companion's recent surgery. This would be my first rally and I may just go solo so I can meet you all. Hoping to be there.
Hwody! Someone in my neck of the woods! Hopefully we shall see you at this great rally
Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:37 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzzeee View Post
Barbie - do you still need someone to host Happy Hour on Fri?
Looks like we have a hand raised in side #94
Old 02-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
As wagonmaster, I'm going to chime in and say that Don and Mark (Cyberous) and Doug and Lori were the first to offer to hold the Friday meet and greet.

Don and Mark are in space #97, which is located near our gathering tree. So lets make it official:

Friday meet and greet at site #97, hosted by Mark, Don, Doug and Lori, and anyone else who wants to participate. I'll propose a 5:50 pm start, but if any of the hosts want to chime in and change that, that's fine with me.

I've kept myself out of a hosting role for this gathering since I plan on being late. I'll be hobbling down the mountain after spending the afternoon communing with the condors. If I'm there on time, it will mean that the condors stood me up. In either case, I'll be well ready for a beer. I'm looking forward to seeing you all, eventually.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #85
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1995 21' Sovereign
Hollister , California
OK, the party is set and the first rally of our season is underway!!!

Friday night we will meet in the same area under the oaks trees that we will do the potluck on Saturday. (Behind sites 97, 95, 91)

We'll start around 5:30 / 6 ish and go until, well we are done!
(Late arrivals just stop by once you are set up)

Bring a chair if you'd like, a drink or a bottle of wine and an appetizer.
Cyberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:04 AM   #86
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
We still don't know who has booked space 86 for the rally.

The other apparently empty spaces in A loop are for walkups, first come, first served. They are very nice spots so if you haven't booked or if you've booked but want to move in closer when you get there, come down a bit early and see if these are available.
Sorry for the late reply joining the group. Ruthie and I are in Space 86. This is our second rally having gone to Casini two years ago. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

We're arriving on Friday.

Bruce
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Welcome, Bruce and Ruthie!

It should be a wonderful weekend, rain or shine.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:

The other apparently empty spaces in A loop are for walkups, first come, first served. They are very nice spots so if you haven't booked or if you've booked but want to move in closer when you get there, come down a bit early and see if these are available.
Correcting my own error: The apparently empty spaces in *D* loop are for "walkups" and are available first come first served.

These "RV Electric" sites have power but no water or sewer. This could be handy for those would otherwise need generator power during quiet hours.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:16 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Less than two weeks to go!

Here's the scoop:
Friday night social, starts around 5:30 pm, bring a drink and or appetizers to the oak behind sits 97, 95 and 91.
Saturday night potluck, starts around 6 pm, bring food to the same oak. Help moving tables at around 5:30 would be greatly appreciated.

Hiking and walking and wildlife viewing are among the highlights of a visit to Pinnacles. The condors are apparently most likely to show up in mid to late afternoon at the top of High Peaks Trail. This is a steep and fairly strenuous hike, so bring plenty of water and allow enough time to make the loop. The hike up to the reservoir, whether through or around the talus caves, is also very rewarding and a bit easier on the feet and legs. Take a flashlight or headlamp if going through the caves.

Here is our latest map. At this point, I count 35 trailers participating!
Old 02-08-2015, 07:53 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Can't wait to hit the road and join you guys at Pinnacles. I just got our water distribution manifold re-made and installed today, after a catastrophic but fascinating failure of the pressure regulator. We're ready to Rally!
Old 02-12-2015, 10:03 AM   #91
lucca53

1973 31' Excella 500
2004 22' Safari
2006 25' Safari
napa , California
Hi all looks like the weather will be on our side 10 day forecast calls for dry weather
lucca53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:49 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
For those who are hoping for a closer look at the majestic condors in flight as well as spectacular views, the High Peaks Trail is the way to go. Here's a map to print out if you like to know distances and twists and turns and where the toilets are:

If you can't pull the image off of AirForums, you can also find it here: http://www.smaalders.net/barbie/airs...andout2015.jpg

I'm a bit of a dumpling, not in great shape, so I like to know what I'm in for when hiking. I'll be tackling the High Peaks Trail hike on Friday because I go slowly and won't make it back on time for dinner if I go Saturday and the condors show up later in the afternoon. (Been there, done that, got the blisters to show for it.)

The main things to remember when hiking: comfortable boots or shoes, good socks, plenty of water, snacks, sun protection (hat,sunscreen,dark glasses) and probably some sort of camera. You won't want to forget this hike.

Squeeee! Less than a week away!
Old 02-15-2015, 01:40 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
We plan to arrive Friday morning and intend to hike with you and Bart Friday late. I'm sure there will be others intending to do the same
See you all soon!
Old 02-15-2015, 03:02 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
For those who are hoping for a closer look at the majestic condors in flight as well as spectacular views, the High Peaks Trail is the way to go. Here's a map to print out if you like to know distances and twists and turns and where the toilets are:

I'm a bit of a dumpling, not in great shape, so I like to know what I'm in for when hiking. I'll be tackling the High Peaks Trail hike on Friday because I go slowly and won't make it back on time for dinner if I go Saturday and the condors show up later in the afternoon. (Been there, done that, got the blisters to show for it.)

The main things to remember when hiking: comfortable boots or shoes, good socks, plenty of water, snacks, sun protection (hat,sunscreen,dark glasses) and probably some sort of camera. You won't want to forget this hike.

Squeeee! Less than a week away!
Hey, my little dumpling (aka, Barbie)....what loop do you recommend? Or....do you plan to hike the entire length of the High Peaks Trail?

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 02-15-2015, 04:10 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Would a noon departure from the campsite work for people who want to hike on Friday?

Last year the round trip took us about 6 hours. We took the shuttle, which was great since parking can be tight on weekends. I don't believe there will be a shuttle on Friday, so we'll have to head up in cars/trucks.

I'm really, really slow going uphill so I'd like to head out no later than noon. I promise that anyone who gets a later start will have a very good chance of passing me up before we reach the top. Last year, the condors showed up sometime after 3 pm. Maybe we can have a High Peak rendezvous at the top? I'll bring binoculars and my telephoto lens if you all will wait for me up there.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:22 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
The best viewing of condors is from the very top of the High Peaks trail, about halfway between its intersection with Juniper Canyon Trail and its intersection with Tunnel Trail. I want more condor pictures, so I'll be huffing and puffing my way over the High Peaks trail.

Last year we went past the reservoir, up to the peak, down the other side and back to the shuttle/lower parking lot via the Condor Gulch trail. I think this might be a bit less steep on the ascent, which is easier on the lungs going up, but harder on the thighs and feet going down.

The Condor Gulch trail has a great spot for looking up at the Pinnacles in all their glory, so it's a good one not to miss.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:16 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
The Condor Gulch trail has a great spot for looking up at the Pinnacles in all their glory, so it's a good one not to miss.
If you are referring to the Condor Gulch Trail "overlook" (kind of a misnomer, since you are looking UP, not OVER), we saw 6-7 condors from there, flying over and landing on the Pinnacles.

Make sure to bring binoculars, if you have them! Even if you don't plan on making the hike, we had them circling with Turkey Vultures over the campground around sunset.

There is LOTS of wildlife in the park... The upper portion of the Bear Gulch Cave is closed right now to protect a colony of bats (they didn't say what species) occupying the cave.

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 02-16-2015, 10:18 PM   #98
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1995 21' Sovereign
Hollister , California
OK time to start the Pot luck list

(Cut and paste, Add you name and dish)

NAME: / DISH:
Cyberous - Swedish Meatballs (Better than IKEA)
Cyberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:18 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
More Beef!

Coastalview - Country Stroganoff
Old 02-17-2015, 08:39 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Coastalview - Country Stroganoff
CA Streamer- Quiche